Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-23-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The Notable Adventures of Charlie Jean, Starting Pitcher (MLB09 RTTS)

"A baseball player from HAITI? Are you seriously? I have to see this for myself."

Sure enough, it was true. But 17-year old Charlie Jean wasn't like any ordinary Haitian. For one, he learned the game for a decade while living on the other side of the island his native country shares with the Dominican Republic, while his father (a Dominican born son of Haitians) worked there running a factory.

He speaks French, Spanish and English. When he was 14, he went to Jamaica to live with an aunt, as his father wanted him to attend better schools than those in the DR and to avoid the civil unrest of Haiti.

Charlie resisted, because there's no baseball in Jamaica. After about six months in Jamaica, he went back to the DR with his father, who realized his son was serious about the game.

He enrolled him in a baseball academy and at 17, the St. Louis Cardinals offered to sign the hard throwing kid to a contract that would bring him to America for the first time since he was about 11.

"I was pretty nervous, but I was ready to pitch."

The Cardinals brass had no idea the kid was as good as he was. He blazed through their minor league camp and they were stunned.

"Mostly because we didn't want to stunt his development, we sent him to Double-A."

His first year of professional ball, he pitched strictly out of the pen for the Springfield Cardinals and was part of the Double-A championship team and so, the team brought him up to the majors at 18.

He went back to Springfield the following spring, after spending some time in the major league camp, where the vets were dazzled by the kid.

And they all asked the same question, "Haiti?" "Well, not exactly," Charlie would always have to clarify. But, his heart and soul were invested in Haiti and regardless of his spending the majority of his childhood in the DR, he was still born Haitian and as a result, is the first Haitian to make the major leagues.

YEAR 2
Charlie had a strong season in Double-A and was called up to Triple-A as a reliever. After a few months there, he had another stint in the majors that September.

YEAR 3
At 20, the kid had made his peace with being in the minors. To this point, he'd never been in any rotation, he'd only been a reliever at any level. But this season, Springfield inserted him into the rotation and he proceeded to go 5-0 in Double-A, before getting promoted to Triple-A, where he kept intact a scoreless innings streak that he started in Double-A.

After two starts in Triple-A, he got the call: The Cards wanted him up now and he was going into the 5th spot in the rotation.

So 20-year old Charlie Jean is now a major leaguer. Can he last?

We're going to find out, start by start.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-25-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm using MLB09 The Show on the PS3. If I can keep this interesting, I'll post videos and such alike. But for right now, I'm just trying to stay consistent. I'll post information from my starts and other interesting stuff, as I record it. If there's something you want to know, lemme know that too.

Charlie is 6'4", 190 lbs and he's a southpaw.

I didn't record my first two starts in the majors because I didn't know I was going to do this, but so far we're just past the all-star break and in two starts this year, he's 2-0 with a 2.25 ERA with 15 strikeouts.

He wears number 83.

From now on, I'll document each of my starts and so, this might be more interesting (and slower) than usual dynasties from me. We'll see if I can keep it up.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

JULY 15, 2011

Cincinnati (50-39) @ St. Louis (50-39)

PREVIEW
The third start of Charlie's major league career is against the Reds. Miguel Tejada plays for the Reds in this game. His first two starts went pretty well, as he's hitting his spots and he's had decent run support, but so far only one quality start of the two.

He throws a 4-seam fastball, splitter and Knuckle-curve. I'm hoping to add a fourth pitch at some point, but not anytime soon. The 4-seamer is the best pitch he's got and he likes to mix it up a lot.

THE GAME

Charlie went eight innings, giving up 3 hits and striking out 4 and no runs. The game was scoreless until the bottom of the 9th, when the Cardinals scored to win 1-0. I got a no-decision, of course, but was named Player of the Game for his strong outing.

He earned 245 training points.

Here's Charlie striking out Ty Wigginton looking.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-23-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

(Cards you'd recognize) C Joe Mauer, 1B Albert Pujols, CF Rick Ankiel, 3B Troy Glaus, SS Khalil Green

JULY 20, 2011
CARDINALS (54-41) @ ARIZONA (43-52)

The 3rd game of a three game set, the Cards travel to the desert to take on the Diamondbacks.

THE GAME

Charlie had a 1-0 lead going into the game, so he felt a bit more comfortable I think, knowing his boys had scored for him before he even showed up out there.

First inning was rough. First, he made a mistake defensively that put a runner on and then he walked Justin Upton to put two runners on with just one out.

I play with variable strike zones and in this game, I learned what that meant, as I really had to adjust my strike zone to get pitches where I needed them.

I literally had to start throwing everything at the center of the mitt, where I usually like to throw on the outside corners, mixing it up inside occasionally.

After striking out a batter with two on and one out, I managed to work out of the jam without giving up any runs in the 1st inning.

The Cards had a bit of a rally, tacking on 5 runs in the 3rd. I also got a base hit during that inning, notching a 2-out hit despite hitting on .222 on the year with a RBI and we batted around after I managed to get on base, but didn't score after Joe Mauer flew out to right to end the top of the 3rd.

With that cushion, it made it a bit easier to go after hitters in the zone more, but the command issues didn't go away as you quickly remember he's just a kid out there.

But in the end, it wasn't too bad. I got pulled after 5 1/3 innings giving up 3 hits, walking 2 and striking out 7 and lowering my ERA in the majors to 1.07.

People are talking about the kid, but Tony LaRussa is imploring people not to get "too ahead of themselves," in the press conference after the Cardinals won 7-0.

Charlie earned 235 training points in this game.

The win gave the Cards a half game lead in the Wild Card race over the Mets, as they sit 3.5 games back of the Cubs in the NL Central.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-23-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

JULY 24, 2011

Just getting ready for my next start and guess what happened?

The silly, silly Cardinals traded Charlie to Seattle for a reliever (Ryan Rowland-Smith) with a few days to go before the trade deadline.

Did a bit of research. The Mariners are 43-55 and sit 10.5 games out in the AL West, they've lost six straight games. At least Safeco isn't a hitters park. I don't really intend to hang out here once my contract ends, though. So I'm just gonna keep it going and see if I can't pitch myself into a great deal someplace I wanna be.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-23-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

JULY 25, 2011

MINNESOTA (49-50) @ MARINERS (43-56)

Getting ready to play in my first ever AL game at home here in Seattle. Fans are great and seem really happy that I'm here. I'm the 5th starter in the Mariners rotation, too. It'll be cool to work with Mariners ace Brandom Morrow who leads the AL in strikeouts and of course, King Felix Hernandez.

If those guys stay around for a while, this might not be a bad place to be as a pretty nice 1-2-3 thing if we're able to grow together.

Offensively, we're terrible and that's the real issue here.

Anyway, I'm getting ready for my start. Let's see what happens.

THE GAME

The first thing I notice about being in the AL, is that the ball flies off the bat a lot more here. In the NL, I could really work my spots and here, it seems that guys are just really quick to get out in front of you.

I retire the first two batters, though Delmon Young gave me a big scare sending a rocket to center field that was grabbed at the track. And I escaped the first inning unscathed and it made me feel a bit better about things, though I won't lie...I'm mad that I had to leave St. Louis, as I really wanted to be there.

My first strikeout was a 3 pitch sequence to Tony Clark in the top of the second. Settling in, it was a bit easier to adjust and I felt better about things.

Justin Morneau ended the 4th inning with a pop-up behind the plate and I gotta say, that he worried me some. But save for that, I'm getting into my stride, having struck out 3 so far heading into the 5th inning.

Went 5 2/3 before giving up a hit, before a scorcher by Alexi Casillas got through. Still a scoreless game, a no-no was the least of my worries and it's good not to have to think about it anymore. Casillas got caught stealing with two outs, to end the inning.

Game as scoreless going into the 7th and I faced Delmon Young, who knocked a home run off of me and I was removed right after that. Final line: 6 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 4 K and I got the no-decision as the Twins won the game 2-1.

That's the first home run I've given up this year (I've given up gopher balls in my cup o' coffee starts.)

The verdict? 160 training points.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

JULY 31, 2011
MARINERS @ DETROIT (54-50)

My first road trip with the new ballclub. I won't lie. I'm not happy here. The guys are super nice and I'm happy with them and management seems intent to prove to me that they think I'm a cog in their future wheel. But I just want to be on a team where I can get more than a run of run support per game, where the lineup is full of actual major leaguers and well...you get the drift.

In any case, time for another outing. Let's see how it goes.

THE GAME

Well shit. The AL is a different animal. After getting Curtis Granderson down 0-2 in the count, he just jacked one on me.

I know you're glad, because you thought my kid had it too easy and now he's getting teed off on a bit. But...I'm hoping to settle down after that.

I managed to strike out Miguel Cabera to get the first out of the inning, after letting the batter after Granderson get on with an infield single.

But Magglio Ordonez tacked on to left field to notch a double and to advance the runner to 3rd with just one out and again, another base hit to put us down 2-0.

But I threw a knuckle curve on the first pitch of the next at-bat and got Neal to ground into a double play to end the inning.

After starting to feel good about myself and getting out of a jam in the 2nd, I get into the 3rd, put a runner on and Maggilo Ordonez torches me for a 2-run homer.

4-0 Tigers after 3 innings and no one out in the home half of the third.

It looks like it's just going to be one of those days...

It felt very nice in the top of the 4th to strike out Curtis Granderson for the second out of the inning. It doesn't take that homer off the board, but it's nice to come back strong. Did the same to Ordonez in the 5th, too.

After five, I was pulled. Final score 5-3, Tigers win.

My line: 5 IP, 8 H, 4 ER, 0 BB, 5 K which brings my ERA on the season to slightly more human 1.98. (3-1, 4 BB, 35 K, 0.94 WHIP, .224 BAA in six games so far this year.)

85 training points in this start.

In his 3 starts, Charlie is 1-1, with a 2.76 ERA in 16 1/3 innings pitched, striking out 16.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-23-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:24 PM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

AUG 6, 2011
OAKLAND @ Mariners

The last place A's come up to Seattle in the battle of whose worst in the AL West bowl.

After my last start, I want a strong showing here to keep my stats intact, but given the way we score runs, I need to be perfect or it won't much matter.

THE GAME

Pretty much smooth sailing through the first four innings. Just one hit, 1-0 lead for the Mariners.

But in the 5th, an error put a runner on, then a base knock put two one with just one out. But I managed to get Kurt Suzuki to fly out to center for the 2nd out, but Reggie Willits managed to hit a double to tie the game up and then I gave up a first pitch single to give the A's a 2-1 lead.

The biggest difference is, I just can't work the spots like I used to. I'm not sure what the problem is, exactly. But I might need another pitch to really balance it out, as I'm finding that having just 3 pitches really causes me some problems when it comes down to try to mix things up a bit.

I got out of the 5th having given up just the 2 runs and made it back for the 6th, after which I was pulled.

Mariners win 3-2. No decision for me.

Final line: 6 IP, 7 H, 2 R (0 ER) 4 K (1.70 ERA)

205 training points

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-23-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:24 AM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

AUGUST 12, 2011
MARINERS (50-65) @ Tampa Bay (67-48)

We're down in Florida to take on the Rays at their ugly ass stadium. We jump to a 2-0 lead to start the game.

First at-bat, a 1-1 to B.J. Upton ended up in the seats out in center field. Not exactly a great start to the game for Charlie.

But I settled down striking out Barlett and AL home run leader Evan Longoria to get two outs and then struck out Carlos Pena to end the 1st inning. 3 strikeouts in a row. I'll call that bouncing back.

Bottom of the 4th, with no outs and a runner on, Evan Longoria went down on a strikeout to record the first out of that inning, but got the next two batters out to leave the runner stranded despite stealing second.

Mariners scored 4 more runs in the 5th to make a 6-1 game and giving Charlie a bit more room to work with heading into the back half of the outing.

Bottom of the sixth, a runner on and something told me to intentionally walk B.J. Upton. But I didn't and he hit a 2-run homer off of me, to make the score 6-3 with no one out.

Next batter was Jason Barlett and he got base with a single, still no one out and well...it'll be a real test of the kid to see if he work out of a real jam with run support against Evan Longoria and his big bat.

But I managed to get him to hit into a double play, but the next hitter got on with a double and my next task against Reed Johnson is to ensure the runner at second doesn't score.

But I failed at this task and the score ends up 6-4 with two outs, after Johnson knocked an RBI single to center.

But to the credit of the manager, he's left me in the game when I thought he'd pull me.

Pat Burrell came up in the 6th and had a base hit, but lucky for me, Johnson got greedy going to third base and was tagged out to end the inning.

Final score was 7-6 Mariners. Charlie ends up with a no decision.

LINE: 6 IP, 9 H, 4 ER, 4 K (2.23 ERA)

78 training points earned after what amounted to a pretty bad start that unraveled after just an inning.

I'm just not comfortable in Seattle as I was in St. Louis and I really just desperately want this season to be over with.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:38 PM   #10
Tellistto
College Prospect

Nice start, DC. I'll be following along with the journey.

Tell
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I've found the mode to be a bit frustrating as I've tried it three different times before Charlie and each time, I didn't really feel like anything I was doing was really making much of a difference on his development.

So in a fit of frustration last night, I actually recreated a new guy and was going to say the hell with this, but...this morning I woke up and decided that maybe that wasn't necessary and that I could salvage a decent career if I tried a different approach.

Given there's no real primer ANYWHERE on the web about the right way to do the pitcher mode and I've yet to read someone say "I've got a guy who is a 200+ game winner who has won a few Cy Youngs," it made me think that the mode is 1) pretty hard on purpose and 2) intentionally designed to make sure that lots of people don't succeed.

But in any case, I've tried a different model.

I brought Charlie back. But this time, I'm going to sim through to 2012 and not play a game at all. I'm going to let the game rack up training points and then use those in the places where I think would make him better. While it means he'll spend more time in the minors and less cups of coffee, my theory is that it'll result in a better pitcher.

You can't resort to this strategy once the guy has reached past 25 or so, because I've found the points are harder to rack up and by then, you've already wasted valuable development time/points and it's too hard to get him back to where he needs to be. (I tried last night)

I'm sure there are other approaches, but I'm bored with the format the other way and so, I'm going to try this methodology and then we'll just see what happens. After all, my goal here is to write an interesting dynasty.

I will say, that this game does a good job of mirroring the frustration of minor league life, of how it has nothing to really do with your talent, but more to do with how well you follow instructions. It's also interesting to see how frustrating life can be when you're playing on a team where you don't want to be and in a role that's not suited to you.

I think that's all fine and dandy, if you're into such things.

So anyway, we'll pick up with Charlie again soon.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #12
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

APRIL 2012

Charlie was injured shortly after his last start in Seattle. He was then diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and was placed on the DL. The Mariners quietly released him during the off-season at his request and he was signed to a 3-year minor league deal by the Oakland A's, who have now placed in the 3rd spot in the Double-A rotation.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:56 AM   #13
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

After 3 starts in Double-A, Charlie was promoted to Triple-A Sacramento where he is the #2 starter.

For context, "old" Charlie was always the 5th starter anywhere he was (if I could even get him into the rotation) and during my fit of frustration, when I simmed a few years ahead and played more, I found that I could do nothing to get him better.

So the verdict here is clear. To make your pitcher better, you need to ignore the game's "tasks" for the first few years and just focus on getting your guy better.

After that, then start paying attention long enough to get him into the rotation (more points that way) and then he'll be able to show his stuff and will be a better pitcher as a result.

For attributes, make sure you build up your pitches. Having one strong pitch will make your guy a lot better to deal with. You'll want to work on H/9 and K/9 too. Stamina is important, but not as much as you'd think compared to the others I mentioned.

Don't waste points in bunting unless you really just want a good hitting pitcher, it's not critical to an early guy's development and wastes points you could allocate elsewhere. I also feel this way about fielding, but can understand others might not agree.

And ignore your scouting report. Old Charlie had a better report than this new guy with more potential and it didn't end mattering much at all, because the new guy is clearly a much better pitcher.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:58 AM   #14
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellistto View Post
Nice start, DC. I'll be following along with the journey.

Tell

Thanks, Tell!
Old 05-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #15
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

MAY 6, 2012

Sacramento went to Las Vegas on the road in his first start I've controlled in this new start.

Gave up two solo home runs, but on curveballs, letting me know that the breaking ball needs a lot of work.

Another thing I figured out from the last time, is that you don't need four pitches until you've really got two good working ones...

Had a decent time working my spots, but he gives up a lot of hits still and after putting on two runners in the bottom of the 5th, Charlie was pulled from the game and credited with the loss in a 4-3 win by Las Vegas.

5 IP, 10 H, 4 ER, 4 K (3.71 ERA)
Old 05-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #16
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
MAY 6, 2012

Another thing I figured out from the last time, is that you don't need four pitches until you've really got two good working ones...

5 IP, 10 H, 4 ER, 4 K (3.71 ERA)

I think that line is key. I think with 2 very good pitches, you'll find things much easier.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #17
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Charlie was removed from the rotation for failing to meet the manager's standards, but was put back in a few weeks later. He made the Triple-A All-Star game, the third straight year he's made a minor league all-star team, but the first time as a starter.

As of July 31, 2012 here are Charlie's stats (6-2, 3.23 ERA, 20 G, 15 GS, 8 QS, 1 SV, 103 IP, 108 H, 41 R, 37 ER, 6 HR, 28 BB, 81 K, 1.32 WHIP, .270 BARHB, .268 BALHB)
Old 05-25-2009, 12:41 PM   #18
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

End of the 2012 season came and went. Wasn't called up, but wasn't too surprised by it. The only thing that I liked about being effective in the past was the freebies to the majors and spring training, where you can spend points on whatever.

But it's fine.

Heading into 2013, back in Sacramento again and looking to see if we can make something happen this year. Charlie is just 22, but he's chomping at the bit to prove himself in the majors permanently. I think he'd be fine to hang out another year or two down here and get himself really ready.

But we'll see how it goes.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:50 PM   #19
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

JUNE 2013 UPDATE

Charlie's stats as of June 16, 2013: 5-3, 3.01 ERA, 14 GS, 80 2/3 IP, 86 H, 34 R, 27 ER, 5 HR, 30 BB, 61 K, 1.44 WHIP in Triple-A Sacramento.

I think one year or more down here and we'll be ready to make an assault towards the big leagues.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:16 PM   #20
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

JULY 24, 2013

Pitching at home in Sacramento against Salt Lake, Charlie probably had the best outing with me at the helm in a long time. He did a great job of mixing speeds and keeping them swinging on bad pitches out of the zone.

A few hard hit balls to the outfield, but went six innings, gave up 4 hits and struck out 3 in the no-decision as the final score was 5-2 Sacramento.

C. JEAN: 6 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 3 K (4.43 ERA)

I've decided to spend the rest of the season trying to build up stats, rather than worrying about the advancement goals, because I've found that it's caused him to regress in areas where I'd like to have seen him doing better.

He was then benched a start for asking to be promoted to the majors.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:32 PM   #21
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

SPRING 2014

The A's have brought Charlie up as a reliever for his first spring training with the big club.

With a solid 2-seam fastball and a curveball, it seems that he's finally ready for the bigs and will be sticking around with the big club past spring training!

APRIL 2, 2014
ATHLETICS @ MINNESOTA

Entered the game in the 5th inning with the score 6-3 Minnesota, with runners on 1st and 2nd and only one out after getting the first runner out, I managed to screw up and allow both baserunners to score on a single up the middle past the diving second baseman.

But on the next at-bat, I got Alexi Casillas to pop out to end the inning.

I came back in the 5th and managed to have a 1-2-3 inning.

The biggest adjustment to the majors, as I've said before is figuring out what kind of pitches that major league hitters will hit versus those they won't.

Was still pitching the the sixth, with the score 8-5 Minnesota. First batter I faced was Delmon Young and after accomplishing the task in front of me (get ahead of the batter in the count) I managed to strike him out on four pitches and got the next two batters -- Justin Mourneau and Adrian Beltre -- to fly out in order.

In the Top of the 7th, the score was 9-8 Oakland! We'd managed to bring it back and so, now my job was to keep is in position to win the game.

After letting the first batter on, I got the next one to ground into a double play, which made me feel a bit more at ease and then got Alexi Casillas to ground out to third to end the inning.

I was pulled after the 7th, after pitching 3 2/3 stiking out 2 and allowing just 2 hits.

In the end, the bullpen held it down and the A's won 10-8 and Charlie earns his first major league win in his first appearance in Oakland.

Not bad!

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-25-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:48 PM   #22
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

APRIL 4, 2014

ATHLETICS @ LOS ANGELES ANGELS

Down 6-0 and entering the game in the bottom of the 3rd, I've got a runner on first with one out.

Got the first batter to fly out. But then facing Chone Figgins, I went down 3-0 before throwing two over the plate that he fouled to left and right fields respective to induce a full count. I threw a curveball pretty around the middle and he popped it out to center field to end the inning.

Not bad to start it out.

But after an error allowed a runner onto first, I managed to throw out the next batter on a dribbler back to the mound.

Another error advanced a runner to third with two outs and so, with a runner at first and third, Charlie had another jam to work out of.

I hadn't been throwing the sinker, in part because it's his worst pitch, but in this case it worked as it caused the batter to fly out and ended the inning without allowing another run.

The 5th inning of this game taught me something new about Charlie this time around. That's the fact that his control is a lot better and he can place pitches in ways he never could before. Now, he can throw a curveball up inside to jam a guy and still manage to get it for a called strike.

In the old days, it was very hard to place pitches anywhere around the inside part of the plate. Still needs a lot of work, yet...it's nice to know it's possible.

In the 6th, successive hits by the first two batters put runners on first and third with no outs. Carlos Lee was the next hitter for me to face and well...that'll get your real heart beating, forget the control.

My strategy against him was simple. To minimize the damage. I knew it'd be hard to stop the run from scoring at third, but if I could prevent, say a three run home or a double or something it'd be good.

And so, I just kept the pitches on the outside side of the plate and it worked to get him to ground out into a double play.

Sure enough, Ty Wigginton popped out foul in the next AB, to end the inning with only one run allowed.

I was pulled after the end of the sixth. The Angels won 14-0

3 2/3 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 K (1.23 ERA)
Old 05-25-2009, 01:56 PM   #23
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

APRIL 8, 2014
Dana Eveland's injury means that Charlie Jean has been inserted into the #3 spot in the Oakland rotation.

4/13 vs. Detroit: ND, 5 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 4 K
4/19 at Texas : W, 7 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 8 K (2.32 ERA)

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-25-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:32 PM   #24
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

4/25 (vs. Los Angeles Angels): ND, 6 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 4 K (3.19 ERA)

APRIL 30, 2014

ATHLETICS (10-18) @ KANSAS CITY (12-16)

On the road facing the Kansas City Royals. Had an up and down game, with location really being a problem. That sinker is really a teeball pitch and I discovered it when someone knocked a two-run homer off of me in the bottom of the 5th with two outs to make the score 4-0 Kansas City.

It was just a rough game all around, giving up too many hits as usual, which made it a bit tough to hang in there.

Got pulled after the 5th inning and the final score was 5-2 Kansas City.

L (2-2) 5 IP, 8 H, 4 ER, 4 K (3.86 ERA)

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-25-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:08 PM   #25
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

5/6 at Seattle: W (3-2) 5 2/3 IP, 8 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 2 K (4.25 ERA)

5/11 vs. Boston: W (4-2) 9 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 3 K (3.40 ERA)

5/16: vs. San Francisco: ND, 5 2/3 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 5 K (3.55 ERA)

5/21 vs. Los Angeles Angels: L (4-3) 4 2/3 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, 3 K (3.57 ERA)

5/27: vs. Baltimore W (5-3) 9 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 9 K (3.07 ERA)

5/30: vs. Minnesota L (5-4) 2 1/3 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 4 BB, 5 K (3.37 ERA)

JUNE 4, 2014
ATHLETICS @ BALTIMORE

My first game at Camden Yards was a doozy. Really can't report much of anything about the start, other than to say that it was a really, really strong outing.

Defense played absolutely outstanding, but save for that, the Oriole hitters weren't doing much and with that, came Charlie's sixth win of the season and his second complete game against the O's in two weeks.

W (6-4) 9 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 7 K

On the season, he's now 6-4 with a 2.97 ERA in 75.2 IP with. 58 strikeouts and 21 walks.

Used the proceeds from that start to really flesh out the Sinker and make it his third strong pitch. The Curve and the Fastball are working great, but that Sinker is one that seems to give him fits and depending on where he places it, guys can really feast on it.

But with one start, the control on the sinker is better than the curve now and the break is decent too, so that's exciting that he'll have two good pitches and a third one that's serviceable.

Gotta get the control rating up next, because it's not where it ought to be. But he's looking good, especially when you consider that he's only 23 and this is his first major league season.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #26
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

JUNE 11, 2014

ATHLETICS @ SAN DIEGO

Headed down the coast to take on the Padres. Hoping to really build on that last start and to use it as momentum to carry me through the rest of the first half of the season.

Padres are in their camoflague uniforms today, which is good for a chuckle on the bench.

We were leading 3-0 in the first, so it gave me a bit of cushion to start the game, though that never works as I intend it to do sometimes..so I'm just gonna ignore the score and try to throw my game.

In the end, another solid start on some fantastic run support.

W (7-4) 6 1/3 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 2 K

Final score 11-1.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:44 PM   #27
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

6/17: vs. San Diego (W, 8-4) 8 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 9 K

6/22: vs. Los Angeles (L, 8-5)
A pretty rough outing that included a 2-run homer that pretty much epitimized the outing.

(L, 8-5) 5 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 0 BB, 3 K

6/28 at Boston:
Rough first inning, as Charlie gave up a few hits which resulted in a run being scored and ended the inning with Red Sox's shortstop Derek Jeter flying out to right, to end the inning with the bleeding stopped 1-0.

Speaking of, here's their lineup. It's pretty interesting to look at.

RF Jacoby Ellsbury
3B Ryan Zimmerman
DH Aramis Ramirez
LF Jason Bay
2B Dustin Pedroia
SS Derek Jeter
CF Grady Sizemore
C Miguel Olivo
1B Ryan Shealy

Umm...whoa. Derek Jeter and Grady Sizemore on the same team is kinda funny.

Aramis Ramirez then teed off on me with the score 1-1 in the bottom of the 3rd, knocking a two run homer over the monster to make the score 3-1 with just one out, but that was all we gave up in that one.

In the bottom of the 5th, the score was again tied at 3-3. With one out, Jacoby Ellsbury got on with a double and Ryan Zimmerman grounded out to advance him to third, putting Ramirez back up.

I was going to walk him, but decided to throw to him instead. After getting him to foul off two pitches and throwing a ball inside, my plan was to set him up with a fastball on the hands, but instead I threw a curveball in that spot and he managed to ground out to end the inning, something that I was more than okay with.

As a result, I was allowed to return in the 5th with the score still knotted up at 3 apiece and I managed to be part of a 1-2-3 inning and then, I was done.

Red Sox won 7-4.

(ND) 6 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 2 K
Old 05-26-2009, 12:45 AM   #28
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

7/3: vs. Seattle (ND) 6 IP, 9 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K

7/11: at Cleveland (ND) 6.1 IP 5 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K

7/17: at Detroit (W 9-5) 6.1 IP, 8 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 7 K

7/22: vs. Toronto
Through 2 2/3 IP, Charlie was pretty much lights out. Then, of course, the damn slider upstairs in the wrong spot and Alex Gordon shipped it via USPS to tie the game at 1-1, though I struck out the next batter to end the inning.

In all, he lasted six innings and the A's won 2-1 in 10 innings.

(ND) 6 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 4 K

7/27: at Seattle (ND) 6 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K

8/2: vs. Tampa Bay (W, 10-5) 9 IP, 4 H, 3 BB, 9 K

8/7: vs. New York (ND) 8 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K

8/13: at Detroit (W, 11-5) 7 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K

8/18: vs. Angels (W, 12-5) 9 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 5 K

8/23: vs. Kansas City (W 13-5) 6.1 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 5 BB, 4 K

8/28: at Angels (W, 14-5) 9 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 9 K

9/5: at Seattle (W, 15-5) 7 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K

9/11: vs. White Sox (W, 16-5) 7 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K

9/17: at Tampa Bay (ND) 4.1 IP, 8 H, 7 R, 4 ER, 5 BB, 4 K

9/23: vs. Angels (ND) 7 IP, 8 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K

9/28: vs. Seattle

Last game of the regular season (and we're not going to the playoffs at 72-85 a few days before this game) it would be nice to finish strong, as it's been a heck of a second half on this end. Charlie's last loss came June 22nd and it'd be great to keep the unbeaten streak going, though he'd much rather be on a winning team this time of year.

Gave up five hits and just one earned in six innings of work and struck out five, but the A's didn't manage to get a hit for the first six innings of the game, but they did manage to get on the board and won 2-1 in 10 innings to end the year.

(ND) 6 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 5 K

2014 FINAL STATS
16-5, 2.30 ERA, 31 GS, 22 QS, 6 CG, 6 SO, 211.1 IP, 180 H, 58 R, 54 ER, 14 HR, 51 BB, 154 K, 1.09 WHIP (.210 RHB, .286 LHB)

He led the league in ERA, Shutouts, Complete Games and WHIP in his rookie year.

Brewers beat the Indians in the World Series 4 games to 2
Old 05-26-2009, 12:48 AM   #29
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

My oh my...

Well this is what it's like to be a star, eh?

The A's have offered Charlie a seven year deal worth $26.95 million and the slot of MLB ace.

I'd much rather not take it and have him keep trying his luck on one-year deals. In part because, he doesn't really want to stay in Oakland.

So instead, he just took a one-year deal for $665,000 for next year and is going to try to play his head off and hope they'll deal him for prospects near the deadline. It probably won't happen, but...really, the goal is just to follow up last year, as well as possible.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:41 PM   #30
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

nice season...
nfg22 is offline   Reply With Quote