Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Survival of the Navajo

I decided to do something different. This "dynasty" is based on the solitaire board game Navajo Wars. The object of the game is to survive, and it is extremely difficult to do.

The game takes place over the course of history, starting at the point where they have contact with the Spanish, and potentially ends just after the civil war. I don't know if I will be able to survive that long, but we'll see.

As I go through, I will discuss some of the game mechanics. But mostly, this game tells a story of the Navajo people, and their quest to survive. I'll also include some real life facts from history and geography. It's a little different than some other dynasties, but I think it could be interesting.

Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

What boardgame is this???
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Prologue
The Navajo people, also known as the Diné, arrived in the Four Corners area around 1400. They were traditionally hunters and gatherers, until they made contact with the Pueblo tribes of what is now New Mexico. From the Pueblos, they learned how to raise crops, primarily corn and squash. In fact, the word Navajo came from the Spanish interpretation of what the Pueblos called the Diné, which loosely meant "valley farmers".

In the game, we start with three main families, named creatively A, B, and C. Family A starts in the area of Shiprock, New Mexico, as seen below.

Family B starts in the San Juan Valley (also called the San Luis Valley) in southwestern Colorado. Family C starts in Canyon de Chelly. Canyon de Chelly in the game is sort of like the home base for the Navajo people. Historically, this is true. In the game, a family is a representation of a large group of people. In game play, each family can consist of a man, a woman, and a child.

In addition, we start with three elders. Elders give us benefits, which will be discussed as they come into play. The older the elder is, the more powerful they are.

The last thing we start with is our starting culture. These are cards, and you can think of them as techs in other games like Civilization. I randomly chose Sharp Traders. Traditionally, the Navajo were known as very shrewd negotiators. This culture card allows us to potentially increase our trade goods. We'll talk about trade goods when they come up.

As the game begins, we notice that the Spanish have arrived in New Mexico. They are more concerned with the Pueblos than us right now. But that will soon change.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
What boardgame is this???

Navajo Wars, a board game.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

DADDYTORGO WANTS!!!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Card 1: Ceremony
The game is based around cards. There are three types of cards. Operations (28 cards), Ceremony (12 cards), and Historical (5 cards in Spanish period). The deck is set up such we have 5 mini-decks, each with one Historical card, and eight other cards randomly determined. These 5 mini-decks are then placed into one deck, in historical order. The historical cards are pretty important, and we'll discuss those in a bit. But we know the first historical card will show up somewhere from cards 1-9, the second from 10-18, and so on.

Ceremony cards are the simplest. When these are drawn, we can either discard them, or put them in our hand. Discarding doesn't do anything. However, putting them in our hand will give us a benefit. First, it puts a person in an area called Passage of Time box. This potentially helps us grow our tribe, and replace lost members. Also, each Ceremony card has a die number that we can use instead of a die roll under certain circumstances. This is called the Blessing Way.

However, there is a down side. If you are holding a Ceremony card when another Ceremony card is drawn, then something called Enemy Way takes effect. These are generally very bad.

In real life, the Navajo people believe that their area is surrounded by four sacred mountains. Leaving this area was considered to be taboo. However, sometimes the men would have to leave to fight. When they returned, they would go through an extensive ceremony called the Enemy Way. This was to counter the effects of leaving the sacred land.

Blessing Way is generally a ceremony for young women passing into adulthood. It is a ceremony of creation, health and peace.

In the game, our blessing way adds an elder to the passage of time box, and gives us a "5" die roll. The enemy way causes us to lose trade goods. Since we are shrewd traders, I think we can minimize the effect of this, so i will take the card into my hand.

Card 2: Ceremony
Of course we immediately draw another Ceremony card. We don't have any trade goods yet, so the Enemy Way doesn't affect us. The card adds a child, and gives us a "2" roll. The Enemy Way loses an animal, which could be painful. We don't have any yet, but what are the odds of drawing a third straight Ceremony card? Into our hand it goes.

Children are important, because once a Passage of Time happens, you can change them into men, women, or elders. They are extremely flexible, and the most important people to get into the passage of time box.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Card 3: Operations
Finally, our first operations card. These are more complicated, so let me try and break down the gameplay a bit further.

Normal turns consist of our turn, and the enemies turn. Normally, the enemy will go first, unless we preempt them. Preempting costs action points (AP's). The card will tell us how many AP's to preempt. Our card costs 3 AP's, which is what we start with. Preempting also reduces the number of enemy AP's as well.

For our turn, we have three options for operations. We can do Planning, Take Action, or Passage of Time. I'll break these down as we go along.

The enemy's AP's determine what actions they can do. Enemy AP's are determined as follows. You start with the number of AP's on the card. Then you add the number of cubes in the Subjugation of New Mexico box. This represents how much control the enemy has over the Pueblo tribes. Right now, there are no cubes, since the Spanish have just arrived in the area. Then you subtract the number of cubes in the Raid box. This box is the raiding that we do against the enemy. Since the game just started, this is empty as well. The Raid box represents the damage that the Navajo, and maybe other tribes, have done against the enemy.

Each Operations card also has a major event and a minor event. It is a good idea to check out the major event before making your decision about which operation to do. Our card's major event gives us additional food if we choose a planning operation.

I would like to get some cubes into the Raid box by raiding the Spanish, which will reduce their AP's. So I reluctantly choose not to plan, and use a Take Action operation. I also decide to spend all of my three AP's to preempt the enemy.

The number of families that can take action is equal to the number of elders plus either one, or the number of families in Canyon de Chelly. In our case, we have three elders, so we could take actions with four families. We only start with three families, so all of them will be able to do something.

Family A is in Shiprock, which is close to the Spanish in New Mexico. The Spanish have these strange animals, which I feel is the source of their power. If we can get some of these creatures, we could become powerful too! In the game, raiding is done by pulling cubes. Each family has 6 movement points (MP's) per turn. If you lose members of your family, you lose one MP per family member lost. This hasn't happened to us yet. Family A is only two MP's from Santa Fe, so it costs us 2 points to raid.

Our first raid, we draw a brown cube. This means we acquired horses. Horses allow us to move around the board quicker, as well as increase our strength in battle. Also, because this was successful, the ferocity of Family A increases. We will discuss ferocity and evasion when it comes up.

I choose to continue my raid, and draw a red cube. This represents the subjugation of the Pueblos. We can think of this as helping the Spanish against the Pueblos. This goes into the Subjugation of New Mexico box, and I have to draw again. I draw another red cube (uh-oh), and then draw a yellow cube. This represents taking some slaves from the Spanish. In the game, a child goes into the passage of time box.

I still have 2 MP's left, so I give the newly acquired horse to Family A, and retreat further into Shiprock.

For Family B, I just have them plant corn. Planting corn has two benefits. First, it can feed the tribe. Second, if the enemy comes along, they slow down to destroy crops, which can give us time to escape. Planting corn is very expensive for MP's, so that is all we can do with Family B.

Family C decides to leave Canyon de Chelly, and move to an area called Monument Valley. This is in southern Utah. In this game, spreading out is very important. When historical cards show up, I will show why.

Now we are done, so it is the enemy's turn. I don't want to go into a lot of detail on how the enemy AI works. It is kind of hard to explain, but the bottom line is we have a slight idea of what is coming. Early on, the enemy will likely concentrate on subjugating the Pueblos. We have kindly helped them with this, which we will come to regret.

Since we preempted the enemy, the card gives them 4 AP's. They get 2 more since there are two red cubes in the Subjugation box, and then we subtract two for the cubes in the raid box, giving them a total of 4 AP's. Their first action costs 1 AP, and it is Subjugation. What this means is they draw a cube. If it is red, it goes into the subjugation box. Any other color goes into the recovery box. Think of the recovery box as the colonists in New Mexico getting ready to counter the tribes in the area. They drew a black cube, which is the most powerful color for us. A shame that this cube is not available for us to draw.

They still have 3 AP's, and the next instruction costs 3, and is a Build instruction. What this means is that the Spanish missionaries build a mission on our land. Missions will cause problems, so we will need to see if we can get rid of that pretty soon. Since they are now out of AP's, their turn ends. However, we can see the next few enemy events are going to be aimed at subverting the Navajo people. In story play, we can say our scouts are seeing a lot of active missionaries in the area.

The major event only happens if we did a Planning operation, so it is ignored. The minor event caused drought in the Zuni Mountains. Drought effects how we can feed our people, so it is bad.

From a story standpoint, the Navajo have shown to be confusing to the Spanish. They have been raiding the Spanish, yet have helped the Spanish against the Pueblos. The Spanish are unsure if the Navajo are friends, or foes. The families have been planting corn, and migrating north towards Utah. Spanish missionaries are coming strong though, and this could mean trouble to our people.

Last edited by Umbrella : 10-29-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Card 4: Pueblo Revolts
The first historical card shows up. What happened in real life is that the Pueblo tribes rose up against the Spanish, temporarily driving them from New Mexico. The Spanish spent most of their resources putting down the rebellion, and completely subjugating the Pueblos.

In the game, historical cards have actions that must be carried out, followed by what is called a victory check. For this card, the actions are that all cubes are returned to the draw bag. Then, all the enemy AI is ignored, and the enemy always tries to subjugate. Plus they get an additional AP to their turn until the Pueblos are completely subjugated.

Now for the victory check. This is pretty complicated. Basically, there are four ratings which are in the game. Culture, Military, Morale, and Ferocity. Culture and Military apply to us, while Morale and Ferocity apply to the enemy.

The first thing we do is check our Victory Point (VP) value. Remember when I mentioned earlier that spreading out is a good thing? This is why. Each area on the board has a VP value. Canyon de Chelly has a VP value of 0, so when historical cards show up, people in the canyon are a bad thing. Since our families are in three separate areas (Shiprock=4, San Juan=3, Monument Valley=2), we have a total of 9 VP's. The card has a value of 8 VP's. Since we have more than the card, we are allowed to increase our military by one. Generally speaking, the areas closest to the enemy have the highest VP value.

The next thing we do is compare our military to their morale. Both started at 5, but since we increased ours, we are now +1. So we set our military to 1, and their morale to 0. Don't get excited, this is temporary. At this point, if both our culture and military are at 0, we suffer a major defeat, and the game ends. Our culture starts at 9, and we have military of 1, so we are safe.

Now we increase our military by the number of men. All three of our families have men, so it goes to 4. The enemy morale increases by the same amount, to 3. In addition, their morale goes up for every mission on the board, so they are now at 4.

Our culture then normally increases by the number of women we have. However, it cannot go above 9 during this step, so we don't change. That is unfortunate. Now we can buy culture cards, or techs. Since we have a lot of culture, I will spend two culture points and pick up the second level of Sharp Traders. This will allow us to acquire firearms, which is very good.

The last thing we do is lose half of the units in the passage of time box. We currently have an elder and a child. Since children are more flexible, as mentioned earlier, I will lose the elder.

We survived the first historical event in pretty good shape, but we need to increase our tribe soon. Plus, we will have some breathing room while the Spanish are occupied with the Pueblos.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Card 5: Operations

We don't have any AP's so the enemy goes first. They get 3 AP's, plus one for the revolt. They draw four cubes, only getting one red cube. More importantly, they drew the green cube. This cube represents Spanish soldiers, and is deadly if we draw it. This means since all the soldiers are out fighting the Pueblos, we have free reign to start raiding New Mexico.

Family A raids twice, and draws two yellow cubes (slaves). Family B harvests their corn, and unfortunately, the harvest isn't great. Family C plants corn.

The major event has to do with the enemy AI, but while the Pueblo Revolt is in effect, we ignore it. The minor event has the Zuni Mountains recovering from the drought.

Card 6: Ceremony
Ugh, this one hurts, since we are holding two ceremony cards. We still don't have any trade goods, but we lose our only horse to the enemy way. The blessing way gives us a man and "4". Enemy way loses corn. I am playing with fire, but I put it in my hand.

Card 7: Operations
The enemy gets 4 AP's from the card, one from the Revolt, 1 from the subjugation box, and loses two from the raid box, for a net of 4. Of the four cubes they draw, only one is red. The Pueblos are still fighting.

We need some AP's, and we can get them by doing a planning operation. With planning, we get an AP for every elder we have. In our case, that is 3. Also, this card has a woman, so she is added to the passage of time box. All of our elders then age.

The next thing we do is elder actions. The older our elders, the better chance of success. One thing we can do is try and exchange our culture for military. As you saw from the historical card, it is important to keep our military above the enemy morale. Our elders aren't very old, so our chances of success are not good. For the first elder, we need to roll a 2 or less for success. However, remember our Ceremony cards? I have one with a "2", so I discard it to ensure success. So our culture drops by one to 6, and our military rises by 1 to 5. I try this again with elder #2, and roll a 2. Lucky. Now our military is higher than our culture, so we can't do this elder action any more. I use our last elder to try and get an AP. I need to roll a 1, and don't.

Now we can use our AP's to get trade goods. For each woman we have, we can spend an AP to get a trade good. I spend 2 AP's to get 2 trade goods. But remember, we have the Sharp Trader card. This allows us to trade 2 trade goods, and roll a die. The number we roll is how many trade goods we get. I roll a 3, so now we have 3 trade goods. We can only get up to three trade goods at the start of the game, but we can possibly add more later.

We can also interact with other tribes during a planning phase, but none of them are threats right now, so we'll ignore this. And with that, the planning phase is done.

For the major event, the Apaches decide to raid New Mexico, drawing a black cube into the raid box. That helps us out. Finally, the minor event has a drought in San Juan. Bummer, since we are in there.

There are only 4 more cubes in the draw bag, so the next turn will likely see the Pueblos fully subjugated.

Last edited by Umbrella : 10-29-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #10
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Card 8: Operations

We only have 1 AP, so we can't preempt. The enemy has 4 AP's, and draws the remaining cubes. The third and final red cube is drawn, and the Pueblos are now fully subjugated. Several things happen here. One, the enemy morale increases by 1. Two, all of the enemy subjugation AI instructions now become nasty raids. In other words, they have turned their attention to us. Finally, we reset the cubes. This means that all the cubes in the recovery box go to the bag, and all the cubes in the raid box go to the recovery box. Finally, the revolt is over, so the enemy no longer gets the bonus AP. However, in spite of that, the momentum is shifting to the Spanish.

For our turn, I think it is time to do a Passage of Time operation. Here's how this works. First, we take the people in the passage of time box, and put them into play. We currently have a man, a woman, and three children. I create a new family, Family D. New families start in Canyon de Chelly. With the remaining two children, I make them both elders, giving us five. Then, we adjust our culture. For each new elder added, we add one culture point. For each missing member of a family, we lose one. Since all of our families are full, we get to add two culture.

Then, we breed animals. Unfortunately, we don't have any. However, I can spend 3 trade goods, and buy a sheep, which I do. Then it is bred to two sheep. Sheep are good for food.

We then harvest all our corn, and have an average harvest from Family C. Now we need to feed everyone. Because of the drought in San Juan, we can't feed all of our people from the land. Plus, we have five elders to feed. So we need 6 points to feed everyone. We have 3 points from our corn, so we need to use a sheep. One sheep feeds four people, with no leftovers. So we managed to feed everyone, and still have one sheep left.

Now we need to check to see if any of our elders die. Remember how we needed to roll these real low numbers for our elder actions? That is because they are fairly young. These same numbers need to be rolled to see if they die. So the oldest elder dies on a roll of 2 or less. However, I am getting nervous holding all these ceremony cards, so I spend the "4" and "5" roll to insure my oldest elders live. This removes all of the ceremony cards from my hand. Elder #3 only dies on a "1", which I didn't roll. The two new elders we just added can't die, so our elder situation is very good.

We then roll to see if any of our land recovers from drought, and we roll lucky. Finally, we reset the cubes, and all of the cube boxes (except subjugation) are now empty. The passage of time is now over.

For the major event, the Apaches are back to raiding the Spanish. They do so successfully (white cube). The minor event has to do with drought recovery, which doesn't affect us.

We are sitting very well right now, but now that the Pueblos are subjugated, our scouts tell us that Spanish missionaries are turning their attention to us.

Last edited by Umbrella : 10-29-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #11
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Card 9: Operations

Our scouts were wrong. The Spanish weren't sending missionaries, they were sending soldiers. The enemy gets 6 AP's, and spend 3 AP's with a small raid.

Here's how raids work. For every AP spent, they get a raid counter in Sante Fe. In addition, they get a raid counter for each level of ferocity our families have. Since we had Family A turn into a raiding machine, they have a ferocity of 3. That means the enemy has 6 raid counters.

The enemy looks to the closest family by movement points. In our case, both Family A and B are 6 MP's from Santa Fe. Ties are broken alphabetically, so the enemy is going after family A.

As the enemy approaches, we can spend AP's to react. We can harass, which slows the enemy down. We can negotiate. We can ambush. And finally, we can evade, which is the only reaction that doesn't cost AP's. Family A is a fighting family, not an evading family. Unfortunately, we don't have horses or firearms, and we don't have trade goods to get them. It's tough to fight without horses and firearms. We are in trouble.

I decide to spend my only AP to harass the enemy. Family A and B are still in danger, but the harassment will keep Family C safe. As the enemy enters Family A's area, I attempt to evade. As expected, this doesn't work. Now I have to choose, fight, or get caught. Without horses or firearms, the odds of winning are against me, so I surrender.

What this means is I lose a member of the family to the passage of time box. Goodbye child A. Also we lose a culture point. But the enemy ferocity also drops by one.

The enemy then goes after Family B. Family B is able to evade further into the San Juan valley. This is all the enemy has, so the raid ends. However, since he caught one of our families, enemy morale increases by one. Then I return caught families back to the board at any ferocity I want. I return Family A with a ferocity of 0.

Our scouts know for a fact another raid is coming. I want Family A to interact with the enemy. The reason for this is that if an enemy raid doesn't encounter any families, they feel like the area is safe, and build more missions. The enemy spends their last 3 AP's to conduct another raid. Since my total ferocity of all families is 0, they only get 3 raid points. The enemy encounters Family A, but since they are not so ferocious, they are better at evasion, and evade very deep into Shiprock. Since this raid didn't produce any results for the enemy, their morale drops by 1.

Now it is our turn. Family A and B are way deep in their territories, and are kind of useless. Plus, we have a mission in Shiprock that still needs to be dealt with. I choose to Take Actions.

I have a ton of elders, so all four families will move. I start with Family D. Any family that starts in Canyon de Chelly can spend all their MP's to go anywhere on the board. I move them to the spot with the mission. This is risky, since if a raid comes, families on the same spot as a mission cannot react. However, my scouts are telling me that the Spanish are preparing for a monster raid, and this should take some time. I should be able to destroy the mission before the enemy raid arrives.

Family C plants corn. Family A does a long distance raid of New Mexico. Any family can spend all their MP's to do a raid. We get some much needed horses. These horses immediately go to Family B, so they can begin to get out of the deep crevices of the San Juan Valley.

For the major event, the Apaches are at it once again, only this time they are at war with the Spanish, and the Pueblos are joining them. The Pueblos are now no longer fully subjugated. The minor event is drought related, and we aren't affected.

If my scouts are correct, this major raid is coming. I need to decide whether I should attack the mission, or maybe do some planning. Plus, the next historical event is coming.

Last edited by Umbrella : 10-29-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #12
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Card 10: Operations

The enemy is still preparing for the raid. In game play, they need 11 AP's. This is going to be ugly. Since they only have 4, they do nothing.

I use the break to Take Action. First, Family D attacks the mission. They are successful, which means the mission is eliminated, and our culture goes up 1. Their ferocity also increases which will make a nasty raid even worse, but I wasn't happy with the mission on our land.

Family A goes back to Canyon de Chelly. Family C harvests their corn, with an average harvest. Family B plants corn.

Finally, our major action gets us some firearms. This will be extremely useful. The minor action is a drought in Shiprock.

Card 11: Operations

The Spanish are still preparing for their raid. We take the chance to do some planning. Our elders are able to increase our military at the cost of culture, as well as getting a couple of AP's. We now sit at 4 AP's. We end up having to spend 3 AP's to get 3 trade goods. The down side of the planning is we have to reset the cubes. This means the raid WILL happen on the next operations card, barring something very unlikely.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #13
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Card 12: Operations

I use 3 AP's to preempt, leaving us with 1. Family D and C plant corn to try and slow down the enemy. Family A moves deep into Hopi Land in Arizona. Family B does a raid of New Mexico, and gets some horses. Preempting the enemy, combined with our raid, gets the enemy only to 10 AP's. The raid will have to wait.

For the major event, the Apaches have a change of heart, and decide to ally with the Spanish against the Pueblos, and help them fully subjugate the Pueblos. Dirty traitors! Enemy morale increases. Drought affects Hopi Land. The moment of truth is at hand.

Card 13: Operations

This turn will be painful. First, the monster raid. The enemy goes after Family D in Shiprock first. While they burn our crops, Family D sneaks further into Shiprock. Then they go after Family B in San Juan valley. As in Shiprock, Family B retreats further into valley while they destroy our crops. The enemy turns their attention back to Family D. We retreat as far as we can. We can go no further, so if the enemy goes after D, they are in big trouble.

Luckily, they turn their attention back to B. Family B is able to do a major evasive action, and escapes to Canyon de Chelly. Family C is the next target. They retreat as deep as they can get into Monument Valley. The enemy then goes after Family A. We spend our last AP to harass the enemy, which is enough to prevent the enemy from reaching Family A. We lost all our crops, and our families are in terrible position, but they all escaped. Enemy morale drops by 1. Unfortunately, since they went through the Black Mesa area, and we have no presence there, they feel it is safe to build a mission there.

This was followed by an aggressive attempt to colonize the Black Mesa area. They built two more missions there. That is a very remote area, so we are in trouble. Our culture drops by two points.

We are in a bad situation. I would like to do something to get our families back into position, but we need AP's, and the major event favors planning, so I choose planning. We get an elder into the passage of time box. Our elders convince Family A to lower their ferocity, which increases our culture. We use our trade goods to buy sheep, and spend 2 AP's to gain 3 more trade goods, thanks to our Sharp Trader card.

For the major event, we have a Shaman. This only activates if you used planning, and is an awesome event. We can take the top three cards off the deck, and arrange them in any order we want. It is two Ceremony cards and an Operations card. I set it up so that I can discard the first Ceremony, take the second, and I plan on doing a passage of time with the operations card.

The scouts say another major raid is coming. We have mission problems in Black Mesa, no crops, and our families are in terrible position. However, our military situation is pretty good, so things aren't quite as bleak as they seem.

Last edited by Umbrella : 10-29-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #14
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Card 14: Ceremony

Discarded as mentioned before.

Card 15: Ceremony

A child is added to passage of time, and we get a "1". However, the enemy way effect is really bad, in that we lose a man from one of our families. We can't hold this one too long.

Card 16: Operations

Since the historical card is imminent, I might as well use my AP's or else I will lose them, so I preempt. As mentioned, I do a Passage of Time. I replace the missing child in Family A, create Family E consisting of only a man and woman, and add an elder. No culture change. I spend all my trade goods to get a sheep. We need to consume two sheep to feed everyone. Our oldest elder finally dies.

Preempting also prevents the enemy raid from happening, so they don't move. The major event costs us a culture point.

The historical event is happening in the next two cards. I am hoping we get one more operation so I can get my families in place. Otherwise, we will be hurting.

Last edited by Umbrella : 10-29-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #15
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Card 17: Franciscan Faction Ascendant

No such luck. The Franciscan priests are going full bore to try and convert the Natives to Christianity. This was generally not a peaceful conversion. They would use alcohol, force, and other low handed means.

Two more missions get built. One in Shiprock, one in San Juan Valley. Plus, our scouts are reporting that the raids we were worried about were not coming. Instead, more missionaries. We are in trouble. They couldn't defeat us with swords and guns, so they will try with alcohol and bibles.

Without going through the gory details, here is where we stand after the victory check:

Culture = 8
Military = 5
Enemy Morale = 8
Enemy Ferocity = 3

We have five families on the board, and five elders. Shiprock and San Juan valley have a mission, and Black Mesa has three missions. We bought Weaving during the victory check, which gets us an additional trade good, meaning that four are now in play. We also have three horses and two sheep, as well as one firearm.

As they enemy concentrates on subverting us, our culture is going to take a major hit. Our families are in bad locations, but we absolutely need to get some of these missions off the board. It is looking extremely bleak right now. Getting to the next historical event will be a nice accomplishment.

Last edited by Umbrella : 10-29-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #16
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Card 18: Operations

The enemy builds another mission, this time in the Zuni Mountains. Then they build more missions in Black Mesa, San Juan Valley, Zuni Mountains, and Shiprock. This drives our culture all the way to 0, which is critical. They send out a small raid, but we are so deep in our territories that it is meaningless. And if this wasn't bad enough, the Utes decide to get in the act, and raid us. Luckily, since our families are so deep, the Utes cannot find us, and give up.

We HAVE to get rid of the missions. Attacking missions will help us with our culture. This is a no brainer operation, we have to Take Actions.

Family A heads to Black Mesa, and gets rid of 3 of the 4 missions. Their ferocity is now maxed out at 3. Family B goes to the Zuni Mountains, and removes 1 of 2 missions. Family E manages to remove 1 of the 2 missions in San Juan Valley. Families C and D creep out of their holes. With the destruction of these missions, we manage to raise our culture back to 5.

The major event shows that the Utes are becoming more hostile, while the minor event is drought in the Zuni Mountains.

We have now completed two full sets of cards. The third historical set will start on the next card. Our scouts are reporting that colonists are heading towards our land. And we are fully aware that the Utes are not happy with us. With our all out attack on the missions, our total ferocity is at 7, so the next time the Spanish send soldiers, they will be coming with bad intentions.

Last edited by Umbrella : 10-29-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #17
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Very cool session report. This game was on my radar but now it's in my Cart for my next purchase. Thanks

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:34 AM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not especially my thing, but a well done session report for sure.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #19
Umbrella
High School Varsity

I hope to get to play this again later tonight, but we'll see if that happens. Note that even though the game is called Navajo Wars, I haven't actually fought any battles, and we're 18 cards in. However, with our high ferocity vs. the enemy low ferocity, and the fact that we need to lower their morale, it seems like a battle is imminent. We have some weapons and horses as well, which is a major help in battle.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #20
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Card 19: Ceremony

I got caught with the other ceremony card in my hand, so I am forced to lose a man from one of my families. I choose family C since they aren't involved with attacking the missions. I choose to discard.

Card 20: Ceremony

Ouch, another man is lost. Family D in Shiprock is affected. Once again, I discard.

Card 21: Operations

I can't preempt. The enemy expands missions in four territories, reducing my culture to 1. I choose planning, mostly to get a man back into the passage of play box. My elders reduce the ferocity of Family E, but that is it. I decide to use this planning phase to attack the Utes. I see the major event will acquire firearms, so I decide to use mine in the battle. I also use the ceremony card in my had to roll a "1" for the Utes in the battle. I achieve a major victory, which increases my military, and also causes the Utes to back off. Unfortunately, the enemy is coming to try and collect slaves.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #21
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Card 22: Operations

I need to preempt and do something about the missions. Family A is able to destroy one mission, but runs into soldiers on the second. I decide to fight. This was a mistake, as it results in an enemy victory. My third family loses its man. Family E and B has a better time, and removes all missions from the San Juan Valley and Zuni Mountains. Family C is still creeping around Monument Valley, and Family D needs to stay put in Shiprock.

All of our attacks on the missions result in the enemy staying put.

There is a rumor of some activity in Monument Valley. I think there may be people there willing to trade with us. We will need to investigate this soon.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #22
Flasch186
Coordinator

it be cool to insert some pics of the cards and board

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #23
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Sorry, I just realized I left this hanging. The truth of the matter is that my wife's cat messed up my board, and I couldn't replicate it, so this thread is dead.