Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-09-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

Inter Milan players attacked by fans at airport

I think we are closer to this type of thing happening in the US that we may want to really believe

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...364347&cc=5901

Associated Press

MILAN, Italy -- Inter Milan fans angered by their team's unexpected elimination from the Champions League attacked the players when they returned from an Italian league victory.

Fans at Malpensa airport shouted insults as the players arrived overnight, police said. In a parking lot outside the terminal, some masked fans turned violent, leaving midfielder Cristiano Zanetti with a bruise on his head.

Two police officers were injured when they tried to defend the Inter players. Police officials said they were investigating.

Inter won 2-1 at Ascoli on Saturday to keep alive its hopes of clinching second place in Serie A and automatic qualification for next season's Champions League. Players already received a rough welcome by fans at the airport earlier in the week following Tuesday's elimination from the Champions quarterfinals by Villarreal.

"We can't accept that the disappointment can turn into violence. ... We can't tolerate what happened at Malpensa airport," Inter president Giacinto Facchetti said.

Inter, despite fielding teams of top players, has not won a Serie A title since 1989.

In a sign of solidarity with Inter players, AC Milan began Sunday's game against Chievo Verona 10 minutes late.

AS Roma coach Luciano Spalletti called the fans' conduct "a cowardly attack."

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:33 PM   #2
Joe
Pro Starter

I wish it would happen to the Yankees
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

that's absurd. if I was Facchetti I'd...I dunno what I'd do...something very anti-fan...spike the beer at the stadium with slow acting laxatives or something?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:37 PM   #4
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Zealous does not come close to describing Italian football fans. They are C-R-A-Z-Y.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:53 PM   #5
Critch
lolzcat

To be fair they did get knocked out by Villarreal and did deserve a serious kicking.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:57 PM   #6
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
I think we are closer to this type of thing happening in the US that we may want to really believe

We're still a few riots-in-the-stands away from reaching that point, and we also have yet to assassinate a player that let an own goal through (or committed a key error or through a key interception), so I think we're still a fair ways away from the South American or Europen fan level...
Old 04-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #7
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
We're still a few riots-in-the-stands away from reaching that point, and we also have yet to assassinate a player that let an own goal through (or committed a key error or through a key interception), so I think we're still a fair ways away from the South American or Europen fan level...

yeah, they are effing savages!
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:17 PM   #8
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
that's absurd. if I was Facchetti I'd...I dunno what I'd do...something very anti-fan...spike the beer at the stadium with slow acting laxatives or something?

That's a hilarious idea

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:58 PM   #9
RendeR
Coordinator

Yet another sign of the decadence and decline of the human civilization. Not only do we promote and attach ourselves to gladiatorial style exhibitions but there are those among us with so little to do with their lives that these exhibitions BECOME their lives and create ignorant and malicious situations like this over what amounts to a territorial side show.

Those who commit such acts of utter idiocy should spend some time thinking about how much importance they place on living vicariously through others..

Last edited by RendeR : 04-09-2006 at 11:58 PM.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:25 AM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
Yet another sign of the decadence and decline of the human civilization. Not only do we promote and attach ourselves to gladiatorial style exhibitions but there are those among us with so little to do with their lives that these exhibitions BECOME their lives and create ignorant and malicious situations like this over what amounts to a territorial side show.

Those who commit such acts of utter idiocy should spend some time thinking about how much importance they place on living vicariously through others..

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/29392

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:13 AM   #11
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan

Oh yes, we've had our heads in the sand for years about this one. Yet another reason our federal government is failing us.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:10 AM   #12
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR

Interesting. If I were inclined to discuss the decline of human civilization I don't believe I'd make the point by detailing how similar the current behavior is to behavior taking place 2,000 years ago. Might just be me, though.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote