Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-10-2006, 09:31 PM   #1
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Computer Issue

I put together a system for a friend a few days ago, during the initial XP install the system shut down completely, it didn't reboot it just powered off - the monitor and everything else was on and fine. I thought maybe it was an odd hiccup since there was no drivers or anything installed at the time... Started it up again and got through the installation perfectly...

A couple hours later while tweaking some settings (simple desktop stuff) poof, power went off again.. Went inside the computer and checked all the wiring making sure nothing was lose.. Everything went fine for the rest of the day, and for the most part the next day then it happen again.

There's nothing in particular that seems to set it off, and it has done it with two different video cards (one much less a power hog than the other), and the PSU is 500w and surpasses the recommended requirements for what he has in the system...

I'm guessing it's a bad power supply, I've done basic memory check and there are no other conflicts with any other hardware.. everything runs fine including graphic intense games like Oblivion, the power offs seem completely random. The CPU is running at a cool 30c so it isn't the CPU overheating, although I have noticed the psu gets rather warm.

Before going through the hassle of returning the PSU for a new one, anyone know of anything that I may be overlooking? Could it also possibly be caused by a faulty motherboard?

Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:18 PM   #2
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I think it's the psu, but there is a chance the motherboard is bad. I would think it would be easier to change out the psu.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:40 PM   #3
Franklinnoble
Banned

Are you 100% sure the heat sink fan is working properly? Systems will shut off like this if they get too hot. If there's a utility you can load to monitor the internal temperature (this depends on your motherboard - check the manufacturer website if software didn't come with it) - run that in windows, and keep an eye on it for a while. You may see the temperature get out of control right before the board saves the processor for you and shuts the power off automatically.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:41 PM   #4
Franklinnoble
Banned

Eh... nevermind... missed the part where you said it was running cool.

I got nothin'
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:14 PM   #5
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Yeah I'm a bit stumped as well, mainly just wanted to exercise all reasonable options to avoid the potential of having to return the case with the PSU since they came together (which would mean taking everything down). I'll likely see about shipping it back tomorrow.

Appreciate it anyway
Old 04-10-2006, 11:16 PM   #6
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

dola

on that note, has anyone had to get a replacement PSU for a case purchased from newegg? ANy idea on turn around time and the procedure involved?
Old 04-10-2006, 11:17 PM   #7
Groundhog
Coordinator

This exact same thing happened to me when I built a system for a friend of mine a few years ago. It was a brand new PSU and I straight away thought that there was no way it was faulty, as that would be too obvious, so I took the PC apart and put it back together again. Then it powered off again, I replaced the PSU, and it had no more issues.