Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2013, 05:12 AM   #1
Kevin
High School JV

Hard Drive Partitions?

I just bought a new desktop and the hard drive is partitioned into a Windows (C and Data partitions (D

The Windows partition is only 150 GB while the data is 1.5TB

Should I install games and other large programs on E to keep C from filling up? If so, do I need to set up a folder structure similar to Windows drive in order for the paths to be recognized as some games aren't configurable to direct saves from within the games themselves?

Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
weegeebored
High School Varsity

The simple answer is yes. The obvious reason is the size difference, although I am trying to figure out what the drive's total size is (2 TB?). Over time, files will be added to you C: drive anyway during Windows updates and game/app saves so to keep your machine running the best it can I would recommend not installing anything to C: if you can avoid it thus leaving it with as much free space as possible. The main benefit of the two partition method imo is that if you have a Windows issue that can only be resolved by a reinstall you won't lose anything on the D: partition.

I am not sure what you mean in your folder path question. If an app/game has hardcoded paths for saves the only thing that you can do is create a junction point/symbolic link that essentially is a redirect (shortcut) that fools it into thinking the folder is at its original location but in reality is, in your case, on the D: drive. So, in effect, your path would be recreated just on a different partition. But creating a path manually without a link will not help you.

Last edited by weegeebored : 02-01-2013 at 09:28 AM.
weegeebored is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
The simple answer is yes. The obvious reason is the size difference, although I am trying to figure out what the drive's total size is (2 TB?). Over time, files will be added to you C: drive anyway during Windows updates and game/app saves so to keep your machine running the best it can I would recommend not installing anything to C: if you can avoid it thus leaving it with as much free space as possible. The main benefit of the two partition method imo is that if you have a Windows issue that can only be resolved by a reinstall you won't lose anything on the D: partition.

I am not sure what you mean in your folder path question. If an app/game has hardcoded paths for saves the only thing that you can do is create a junction point/symbolic link that essentially is a redirect (shortcut) that fools it into thinking the folder is at it's original location but in reality is, in your case, on the D: drive. So, in effect, your path would be recreated just on a different partition. But creating a path manually without a link will not help you.

This

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
I am not sure what you mean in your folder path question. If an app/game has hardcoded paths for saves the only thing that you can do is create a junction point/symbolic link that essentially is a redirect (shortcut) that fools it into thinking the folder is at its original location but in reality is, in your case, on the D: drive. So, in effect, your path would be recreated just on a different partition. But creating a path manually without a link will not help you.

How does one do this??
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
mckerney
Coordinator

For an example, in the command prompt enter

mklink /j "c:\users\name\my documents\my games\" "e:\game saves\"

will make is so that the the my games folder will point to the e:\game saves folder. To do this first you will have to create the game saves folder on e, cut and paste everything from the my games folder into game saves folder, then delete the my games folder. Now everything from the my games folder will be on the e drive, but windows will be able to find it by looking at the original location.

I used to have to do it for Steam games when i only wanted a few installed on my SSD before it let you install to different locations.

Last edited by mckerney : 02-01-2013 at 10:08 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Cool - I never knew how to do that. LOL.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
mckerney
Coordinator

Also, if you need to find out where a game keeps it saves (since game developers can't decide on one spot to put them and I have to have 20 save game folders in My Documents along with folders for My Games, Games, and Saved Games there too, while others are hidden away in APPDATA folders ) go use http://www.gamesave.info, it should have the location there.

You probably won't need to make a junction for all games, a lot of them won't use more than a couple megs of space, but it's probably best make a junction for a My Games or whatever it's called where several game saves will be.

Last edited by mckerney : 02-01-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
weegeebored
High School Varsity

You could probably use the Steam Mover app if you want to use a GUI instead of the command prompt. It was designed to let you install games to the Steam Apps location but move them to an SSD when you wanted to use the speed. It runs the mklink and xcopy commands for you. While I haven't tried it for anything but games, I would assume it could be used to create a junction point for any folder. BTW, mklink is a Vista/7 and probably Win 8 command only. If you have XP there is a utility out there called Junction which can be found on the Windows Systernals site.
weegeebored is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Or just install Steam on the D: drive. Saves would still go to C:, but the games would be on D:. If you're not into the whole pointers/redirection thing.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
mckerney
Coordinator

If it is just 2 partitions of the same drive it would definitely be better to just install it on the larger partition as there are still a few games that you aren't able to chose a drive to install to.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Cool - I never knew how to do that. LOL.

Cool, symbolic links on Windows! A little UNIX at home.

I used to do this all the time, but that was on DOS. I guess I should have realized the capability was still there.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote