Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
From tonight's show:

Okay, that was hilarious.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #252
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

now there are at least rumors that Leno will leave too, rather then be put in the impossible situation that replacing Conan will be:

Jay Leno May Walk Out of NBC, Too | PopEater.com
Old 01-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #253
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Wouldn't it make sense for ABC to look at Conan? Put him at 11:30 and Kimmel at 12:30. Ratings wouldn't be good right now but they'd be setting up the next generation of talk shows. Both have younger audiences.

Apparently ABC's execs think Conan's show is too close in tone to Letterman's show and thus wouldn't be good competition (according to a Forbes article).
Old 01-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #254
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
i don't find any of these guys funny, i think they're all egotistical, pedestrian comedians who lob softball questions at pop-culture figures.

amusing because at least leno/conan are MA-guys.

i couldn't tell you the last time i spent a second watching any of these shows (conan, leno, jimmy fallon, letterman, doesn't adam carolla have a show?)...frankly i'm surprised that they're still around. They just seem like total shills to me.

Couldn't agree with you more, DT. I used to enjoy Letterman maybe 10 years ago, now he just annoys me, for all the reasons you've identified.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #255
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I'm starting to think that NBC may have flubbed the situation.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #256
RainMaker
General Manager

I think Conan could be really funny in the right situation. Cable TV would seem a nice fit for him. My problem with him is that he has had to dumb down his show a lot to get people to watch. To succeed at the 11:30 timeslot, you basically have to appeal to people with a 75 IQ.

Someone had brought up the interesting suggestion of how Conan would fare at the timeslot directly after Daily Show and Colbert Report. Certainly nowhere near the money he could command but you would probably get the best of his talents on a network that would allow him to be a little more edgy.

I still think ABC would be an interesting fit before Kimmel. I think Kimmel is underated and this would give him a much better lead-in. Sure Conan would be pulling up the rear behind Leno and Letterman, but it would give ABC the opportunity to have the thrown of late night in 5 years or so when Jay and Dave call it quits. Conan wouldn't be forced to dumb his audience down too much and with Kimmel could attract the hottest demographics.

Fox is the most likely suitor and I think the loosest in terms of restrictions on his comedy. They've always been a bit edgier than the Big 3 and could let him go for that audience that Stewart and Colbert have been great at attracting. The thing is, I think he needs to differentiate himself on Fox and can't go with the cookie-cutter talk show that CBS and NBC want to run at 11:30. He needs to be the "anti-talk show" guy when all NBC wants is the prototypical talk show host.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #257
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
now there are at least rumors that Leno will leave too, rather then be put in the impossible situation that replacing Conan will be:

Can Jay be a bigger asshole?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #258
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

The thing is that it is Leno's fault. Trying to play the martyr in the situation is just silly. He is the one who said he wanted to retire in 2009 and setup the situation for Conan to take over. He had every right to turn to NBC and say I'm not going to take the 11:30 timeslot back no matter what. Fuck Leno.

Last edited by RainMaker : 01-12-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #259
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hey, if Conan really wants to make NBC mad, he should schedule an appearance on Letterman and they can both bitch about how shitty NBC is .
Old 01-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #260
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Hey, if Conan really wants to make NBC mad, he should schedule an appearance on Letterman and they can both bitch about how shitty NBC is .
I have a feeling you'll see that take place right after the ink is dry on him leaving. The best part is that I can't think of a better host to do the interview than Letterman.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #261
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 01-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #262
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
i don't find any of these guys funny, i think they're all egotistical, pedestrian comedians who lob softball questions at pop-culture figures.

i couldn't tell you the last time i spent a second watching any of these shows (conan, leno, jimmy fallon, letterman, doesn't adam carolla have a show?)...frankly i'm surprised that they're still around. They just seem like total shills to me.

I never found Conan egotistical. I like that he is standing up for himself in this situation.

Dave seems bitter at times. Leno screwed Dave over and is now screwing Conan and NBC over. We know Jay and Dave hate each other, but are Conan and Dave friends (or at least on good terms)?

As for the "soft-ball" questions, I don't think they would get many guests to come on if they did that (in any late-night show). I don't blame the hosts for that, but just the way companies work these days.

I think Craig is the best late-night host.

Last edited by Galaxy : 01-12-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #263
stevew
Hall Of Famer

ABC has nightline. Why replace something that works?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #264
RainMaker
General Manager

BTW, Conan's statement couldn't have been done any better. Stood up for himself, pointed out how he was being screwed, and then managed not to sound like a victim or too serious.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #265
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
The thing is that it is Leno's fault. Trying to play the martyr in the situation is just silly. He is the one who said he wanted to retire in 2009 and setup the situation for Conan to take over.
I'm no Leno supporter, but my understanding is that the 2009 switchover was NBC's idea (because they didn't want another Letterman situation with Conan) and Leno wasn't happy about it.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #266
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I'm no Leno supporter, but my understanding is that the 2009 switchover was NBC's idea (because they didn't want another Letterman situation with Conan) and Leno wasn't happy about it.
From the quotes he gave back in 2004, he said he wanted out before he turned 60 and he promised his wife he would. Maybe it was NBC's doing but he did not have to sign the deal or commit to turning the show over.

CNN.com - O'Brien to replace Leno on 'The Tonight Show' - Sep 27, 2004
Old 01-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #267
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
Leno's fault? Its NBC fault. They are scare to see him on another network and they want to keep him under contract for NBC only.
I agree but Leno is still to blame. He agreed to give up the Tonight Show to Conan and then wants it back.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #268
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, viewing the clips- Letterman's a bitter old man.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-12-2010 at 09:33 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:38 PM   #269
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think Conan could be really funny in the right situation. Cable TV would seem a nice fit for him. My problem with him is that he has had to dumb down his show a lot to get people to watch. To succeed at the 11:30 timeslot, you basically have to appeal to people with a 75 IQ.

Someone had brought up the interesting suggestion of how Conan would fare at the timeslot directly after Daily Show and Colbert Report. Certainly nowhere near the money he could command but you would probably get the best of his talents on a network that would allow him to be a little more edgy.

I still think ABC would be an interesting fit before Kimmel. I think Kimmel is underated and this would give him a much better lead-in. Sure Conan would be pulling up the rear behind Leno and Letterman, but it would give ABC the opportunity to have the thrown of late night in 5 years or so when Jay and Dave call it quits. Conan wouldn't be forced to dumb his audience down too much and with Kimmel could attract the hottest demographics.

Fox is the most likely suitor and I think the loosest in terms of restrictions on his comedy. They've always been a bit edgier than the Big 3 and could let him go for that audience that Stewart and Colbert have been great at attracting. The thing is, I think he needs to differentiate himself on Fox and can't go with the cookie-cutter talk show that CBS and NBC want to run at 11:30. He needs to be the "anti-talk show" guy when all NBC wants is the prototypical talk show host.

That's a bit of a conflicting mix there.

One, I don't think Conan is all that blue. He was perfect at that 11:35 (or 12:35 eastern) slot. He could be a little blue but he's not a foul mouthed, edgy guy. It's kindof smart humor with enough lowest common denominator stuff to pull in the college stoner crowd.

SI

Old 01-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #270
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
That's a bit of a conflicting mix there.

One, I don't think Conan is all that blue. He was perfect at that 11:35 (or 12:35 eastern) slot. He could be a little blue but he's not a foul mouthed, edgy guy. It's kindof smart humor with enough lowest common denominator stuff to pull in the college stoner crowd.

SI

I love how people who don't like Conan's sense of humor always blast him as "dumb", "college stoner". If you don't like it, that's fine, but why insult those who don't share the same sense of humor?

Last edited by Galaxy : 01-12-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:45 PM   #271
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
Why make the other late night host mad.

Umm ... because the other late night host has less value to them than the one they're trying to keep?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:58 PM   #272
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I love how people who don't like Conan's sense of humor always blast him as "dumb", "college stoner". If you don't like it, that's fine, but why insult those who don't share the same sense of humor?

I love Conan's sense of humor and my exact quote was: "It's kindof smart humor with enough lowest common denominator stuff to pull in the college stoner crowd." It's hard to deny that he plays up to a dumber audience sometimes- he had said it on air quite a few times, tongue-in-cheek- but it's in the same way that a lot of cartoons target kids but throws in a lot of jokes for adults to get so they don't mind when their kid watches.

SI

Old 01-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #273
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wonder how many people who post in this thread watch more than 30 minutes of late night talk shows a week. I watched Conan a ton when Andy was on. Since then I really haven't watched any of the shows. Like a few minutes of Fallon here and there.

*disclaimer. I'm at work while these shows are on. The thought of taping one to watch later has never entered my mind.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #274
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of which, Conan and Brokaw are excellent together tonight

SI

Old 01-12-2010, 11:24 PM   #275
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I gotta say, I'm fascinated by this hot mess.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:34 PM   #276
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

OK, so for us west coasters is there something worth staying up to watch happening and if so who is it?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:42 PM   #277
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
OK, so for us west coasters is there something worth staying up to watch happening and if so who is it?

I dunno- Conan and Brokaw yuk it up. I enjoyed it but I'm not sure I'd call anything earth shattering- the news already broke earlier today. Then again, I missed the monologue so not sure what happened there. It felt a bit like a final lap, more than anything.

SI

Old 01-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #278
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Kimmel's the only one I can stand - and that's only in small doses. I'm trying to think what's more irrelevant right now: evening network news, newspapers or late night talk shows? Maybe all the above..
Old 01-13-2010, 12:48 AM   #279
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Was This Conan O’Brien’s Final Tonight Show? | Online | Mediaite
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:26 AM   #280
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Jimmy Kimmel interviewed Chevy Chase tonight while dressed up as Jay Leno and doing his voice. Was pretty funny. This is very entertaining to watch play out.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:57 AM   #281
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah, I don't know if anyone loses in this scenario. I bet people are tuning in just to see what is said by everyone and the jokes at their expense. When Jay comes back, he'll get a big ratings boost while Conan will get some major publicity wherever he goes.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:57 AM   #282
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
When Jay comes back, he'll get a big ratings boost while Conan will get some major publicity wherever he goes.

Hmm ... maybe Conan ends up on CBS somehow, Leno gets a bump by going back & pulls back in front of Letterman who then retires & Conan comes out for his monologue one night and strips off his outfit to reveal an NBC t-shirt. The whole thing is really a swerve.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:02 AM   #283
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

A couple of clips from Jimmy Kimmel imitating Jay Leno.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #284
Samdari
Roster Filler

I think I just figured out why reality programming is so popular. People are far more interested in the drama surrounding who gets what show than they are in any of the shows themselves.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:24 AM   #285
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
I think I just figured out why reality programming is so popular. People are far more interested in the drama surrounding who gets what show than they are in any of the shows themselves.

A behind the scenes look at this NBC disaster would be fantastic. More drama queens and inept management than you could shake a stick at. Oh.......and Conan O'Brien stuck in the middle.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #286
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Hmm ... maybe Conan ends up on CBS somehow, Leno gets a bump by going back & pulls back in front of Letterman who then retires & Conan comes out for his monologue one night and strips off his outfit to reveal an NBC t-shirt. The whole thing is really a swerve.

SI

Old 01-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #287
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post

Yeah, highest rating for any of these shows in a weeks, I imagine... *sigh*

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-13-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:51 AM   #288
KWhit
Coordinator

Dave is still my favorite.

Not that I watch any of these shows, but he's the best, IMO.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #289
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Worst case for NBC would be if Conan left for another network and Jay leaves out of fear of being painted as the bad guy.

The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #290
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
We know Jay and Dave hate each other, but are Conan and Dave friends (or at least on good terms)?

From what I understand they are. Dave was very generous when Conan was starting out. Dave, I think, went on Conan's show and always speaks well of him. Also in the beginnign when Conan was struggling, Dave would send his overflow crowd to fill seats for Conan.

And Conan looks up to Dave for being a pioneer in late night comedy.

In Conan's last show at 12:35, he thanked Dave for all he did.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #291
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
A behind the scenes look at this NBC disaster would be fantastic. More drama queens and inept management than you could shake a stick at. Oh.......and Conan O'Brien stuck in the middle.

"Late Shift 2" anybody?
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #292
Calis
College Starter

Yeah I've heard Conan on several occasions speak of Dave pretty reverently, I think they're on good terms at minimum if not actual friends.

Conan I've always liked and he seems the most likeable of the bunch by far. That said I'm one of the people who doesn't watch. I used to watch Conan every night when it was him and Andy, but I haven't watched a single Tonight Show of his.

Really nice press release from him though. I don't think you could put that any better.

How successful are these shows now? I know Dave has been beating Conan but has Dave actually gained a significant amount or is Conan just losing? These shows seem a lot less relevant now, even among the general late show type fanbase.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #293
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Speaking of the Late Shift 2, you guys should read Desperate Networks, which is from the same author, and talks alot about the behind the scenes of programming, specifically focusing on how Desperate Housewives, American Idol, and CSI got on the air.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #294
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Yeah I've heard Conan on several occasions speak of Dave pretty reverently, I think they're on good terms at minimum if not actual friends.
Also worth pointing out that Conan's rejection letter went out of its way to mentioned Letterman.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #295
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

This hits way too close to home.

#130 Conan O’Brien « Stuff White People Like
Old 01-13-2010, 10:39 PM   #296
Galaxy
Coordinator

I guess Conan was crying when he read the statement to his staff (before going public with it).

Conan is kind of coming out with the claws tonight.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:41 PM   #297
cuervo72
Head Coach

Heh...Conan doesn't seem to be letting up tonight.

edit: yeah, what Galaxy said

Last edited by cuervo72 : 01-13-2010 at 10:42 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:47 PM   #298
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Heh...Conan doesn't seem to be letting up tonight.

edit: yeah, what Galaxy said

Did he take a shot at Leno in his first joke?
Old 01-13-2010, 10:51 PM   #299
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I love that he is doing a classic Tonight Show moment.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:52 PM   #300
RainMaker
General Manager

Interesting spot for NBC. Ratings are going up for Conan but he's doing it by taking shots at NBC.