Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-13-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

Dish Network TV Opinions

The long two year wait has finally come to an end and I am looking to tell Direct TV to go get bent now that my discounts have dwindled to nearly 0 with them. I was looking at Comcast and Dish but Comcast appears no better than DTV. Once the 6 month trial offer prices go away they jump 40-50% from the looks of it.

So they leaves me with Dish Network. I probably would go with a high speed internet (12MBPS download) and TV bundle am wondering what people who have recently in the last year or current have Dish TV think of the channel selection, customer service and the equipment quality and DVR functionality. The biggest complaint for me is the DVR I got from DTV on like a previous one from Comcast I had would not record a TV that unexpectedly runs over. So for example I record a basketball game that is scheduled for two hours and the game runs into overtime so about 30 minutes over but the recording stops at the 2 hour mark . If I find out Dish DVR will have the intelligence to record over the scheduled time in these situations I would go with them no matter. Any suggestions or recommendations are much appreciated guys.

Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
The biggest complaint for me is the DVR I got from DTV on like a previous one from Comcast I had would not record a TV that unexpectedly runs over. So for example I record a basketball game that is scheduled for two hours and the game runs into overtime so about 30 minutes over but the recording stops at the 2 hour mark . If I find out Dish DVR will have the intelligence to record over the scheduled time in these situations I would go with them no matter. Any suggestions or recommendations are much appreciated guys.

Every DVR is like that. When setting a recording for a sporting event, tell it to record an extra hour or two. The guide does not update, so the DVR has no idea the game ran long.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
HerRealName
College Prospect

The Dish Network DVR is no more intelligent in that regard. You can set it up to record an extra amount of time after an event finishes, so I usually record an extra 15 or 30 minutes depending on the game.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Every DVR is like that. When setting a recording for a sporting event, tell it to record an extra hour or two. The guide does not update, so the DVR has no idea the game ran long.

I swear I had a DVR cOX cabel back in Mass. that would do that. Anyways no biggie.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What HRN said and now you can schedule tapings while at work via the internet, which I love.

I love my HD DVR that controls the living room and my office TV.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

Agree with this. Matter of fact both of my Directv dvrs actually ask this question when I record a live sporting event. (Actually any live event)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
What HRN said and now you can schedule tapings while at work via the internet, which I love.

I love my HD DVR that controls the living room and my office TV.

What do you have Dish?
Old 03-13-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What do you have Dish?

Yes
Old 03-13-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yes

And you like it?
Old 03-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
Terps
College Prospect

I have Dish, and have no problems with it. It definitely has way more HD channels than cable, and the same if not more than DTV.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #11
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I used to have it a few years ago and loved it, also had no problems, the DVR was great and I have no complaints.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:39 PM   #12
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

I've had it going on three years and love it. Had only one problem, keeping a good HD signal from one of the satellites. It was intermittent and I wasn't so sure it wasn't something about my location. A guy transferred into town to my work place and he had DISH installed and wasn't having the issues I was. I called support and they sent a tech out and he tried a few things (with older wiring in the house he wasn't sure if that might be causing ground issues) and left, but before going he gave me his cell number and told me to call any time. No need to go through DISH support to have him come back.

He was gone about 2 hours when the issue showed up again. Called his cell and he told me he'd be back to our town (small town Iowa) in two days and would stop. Brought additional parts to swap out on my dish and had me up and running. Great service and pleasant people to deal with on the phone.

Since then I've had no issues. One of the nice things is even here in "smallville" far away from metro areas we still get locals in HD. While cable did finally get locals in HD also they don't have nearly the HD lineup or quality picture of DISH. Very happy customer and they'd have to really piss me off in some way to make me quit their service.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:44 PM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And you like it?

Yes, love it. Wish they had MLB network though.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pro- lots of HD stuff
Really good DvR
Signal quality of SD stuff was good
Never lost signal.

Cons
Cost was getting too high for me. I currently get cable and internet for the same price as I was paying for dish alone
Their local channel selection was incomplete in HD.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #15
henry296
College Starter

You can also schedule programs via internet or phone with DirecTV. Also, new satellite will probably be working in a month or two with more capacity for HD channels.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #16
Galaril
Pro Starter

I went ahead and switched over to Dish and there technichian was out to our house at 800 am this morning! Wow! The DVR and remote I like alot more than the one DTV had. The only downer is my 6 year old was upset because we did not get the Boomerang cartoon channel with the Silver 200 channel package. Oh, the gave me 6 months of HBO and Showcase for free which is nice sin ce the Pacific is starting tonight.

Last edited by Galaril : 03-14-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Get the 250 baby!
Old 03-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #18
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Get the 250 baby!

Yeah I saw that I did not see naything other than the channel my daughter wanted and I figure she will adjust. Thanks though.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #19
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Get the 250 baby!

Second this. We started with the 200 but switched to 250 about a year later. Wife wanted to watch Ceaser the Dog Whisperer and I could finally watch Fox Soccer Channel. Also ended up with a few more HD channels including VS. for some hockey coverage and of course a few second tier movie channels. Worth the extra $10 for us but certainly not for everyone.

My son has the everything package but now that he has netflix he's thinking he'll drop the premium movie packages and go back to the 250.

We just signed up for netflix after visiting his house and seeing it in action. Great value for the money.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #20
Galaril
Pro Starter

Yea we got netflix but have to wait till it comes out in the next month or so for streaming on the Wii to watch the streaming on the tv or just buy aRoku player if the wii resolution sucks for netflix streaming.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #21
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Fox Soccer HD is awesome!
Old 03-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #22
Galaril
Pro Starter

One question for those with Dish. I got two TVs and the Dual Tuner DVR. I might of misunderstood the technician but I thought I could record a show on each TV and watch a differnt show on each tv at the same time. But, it appears I can record just one show and watch a show on each tv. If so I could have stayed with DTV and had a DVR oneach TV as I thought I was getting.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:30 AM   #23
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

You can only watch a recorded video and tape two at the same time, other than that, you can tape in one and watch something different in the other room.

That's why I not only have that dual DVR, but another DVR for the bedroom.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #24
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
You can only watch a recorded video and tape two at the same time, other than that, you can tape in one and watch something different in the other room.

That's why I not only have that dual DVR, but another DVR for the bedroom.

Yeah I wish they told me this I would of asked for another DVR in that case. Thanks
Old 03-15-2010, 11:22 AM   #25
Galaril
Pro Starter

So, I switched over to two standard def DVRs. I wanted to get one HI-def but it was $100 dollars more for that so I passed on that. It costs $10 more for the second DVR so after my first year of discounts this will actually cost me about $10 more than DTV which sucks. But, I suppose I can try to negotiate something down the road and get that second DVR equipment taken off since after a year or so DISH should have earned the cost of the box by then. I am wondeing in general how willing DISH to negotiate on price?
Old 03-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #26
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So, I switched over to two standard def DVRs. I wanted to get one HI-def but it was $100 dollars more for that so I passed on that. It costs $10 more for the second DVR so after my first year of discounts this will actually cost me about $10 more than DTV which sucks. But, I suppose I can try to negotiate something down the road and get that second DVR equipment taken off since after a year or so DISH should have earned the cost of the box by then. I am wondeing in general how willing DISH to negotiate on price?

Dish directly not very much.
They are actually contractually bound with their dealers on how much they can give away....*IF* You have a local dealer he can help you if he wants once your contract expires.

The equipment is a major loss leader/install investment. Most people are shocked at how much it costs a a company to creat a customer, both in terms of equipment/installation and marketing.

All that said, I am again an auth. dealer for both Dish and DTV and there is no doubt who I push customers towards. The only reason I added DTV back was Sunday Ticket, their CS is disgusting, their billing practices are questionable, and their product is only average.

Having said all that, a new account for me is worth ~$250-400 depending on programming choices and monthly incentives so if someone calls me and has equipment it is often worth it to me to give them one piece or a new wire run etc if I can get a new account out of it. This typically means it will have to change names from you to wife or something more subtle....Bob Smith moved and Robert Smith just move in...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #27
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I can usually call Dish and tell them I'm switching.. that usually gives me $5 for the next 12 months and free Fox Sports Soccer Plus for the next 4 months.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #28
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Just took the plunge and signed up for Dish Network. I'm very glad to be rid of RCN!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #29
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

I've been quite happy with Dish Network for the past two years. One other bonus, the headquarters is in Colorado.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #30
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

They just pulled all the FOX sports channels due to some rate increase Fox wants from Dish.. I'll give them a week and then I might have to make the swtich to Direct TV.

I am NOT missing Blues hockey games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #31
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
They just pulled all the FOX sports channels due to some rate increase Fox wants from Dish.. I'll give them a week and then I might have to make the swtich to Direct TV.

Not only that, but you'll lose the Fox local channel in November. Dish is going to lose this battle big (have to pay and still lose a large number of subscribers).
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #32
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Not only that, but you'll lose the Fox local channel in November. Dish is going to lose this battle big (have to pay and still lose a large number of subscribers).

Yeah, I was afraid of that too.. sucks because the Blues and the Tigers were on tonight.. now I have to go to a bar.

Guess I'll call Direct TV Monday.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #33
PraetorianX
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
All that said, I am again an auth. dealer for both Dish and DTV and there is no doubt who I push customers towards. The only reason I added DTV back was Sunday Ticket, their CS is disgusting, their billing practices are questionable, and their product is only average.

Seriously? I've had DirecTV for over 10 years now and have never had the slightest problem with them. The few times I've had to interact with customer service everything went just fine and I didn't have the slightest problem. And I've always had a good quality and strong signal.

My neighbour had Dish Network for awhile but he had troubles with them for some reason (I didn't really pay attention to his complaining, so I forget exactly what it was). He's on DTV now and I haven't heard him complain.

Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe DTV is just better out here in rural NC.
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #34
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

The guy that owns Dish Network (Charlie something...Ergen?) is a major league douchebag. Dish does this every year or so when a network wants to increase their rates. Dish completely dumped Vs. a few years ago and in DC they blacked out NBC for a day or two. That's what you get with Dish - no NFL, no MLB, but the best DVR available.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #35
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Agreed that the DVR is amazing.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #36
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I get NFL with Dish.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #37
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Well, I'm going to have to pay $150 to make the switch since I still have a year left on my Dish contract.. it still kills me that if you get an upgrade, you have to sign for two more years even though I've been a customer for years...

I had Direct TV giving me the premiere package with NFL ticket and 6 receivers for $95 a month. *sigh*

I'm giving Dish a week and if by next Friday I don't have FSMW back, I'll pay the greedy bastards their $150 and never return.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #38
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraetorianX View Post
Seriously? I've had DirecTV for over 10 years now and have never had the slightest problem with them. The few times I've had to interact with customer service everything went just fine and I didn't have the slightest problem. And I've always had a good quality and strong signal.

My neighbour had Dish Network for awhile but he had troubles with them for some reason (I didn't really pay attention to his complaining, so I forget exactly what it was). He's on DTV now and I haven't heard him complain.

Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe DTV is just better out here in rural NC.

No complaints about their signal, its as good as any sat signal. Which is to say perfectly fine 98% of the time.
As to your positive customer service experieence, there are a few possibilities:
1) You have been lucky. They are poor as a rule but have individual good employees.
2) You don't watch you bill very closely. Not all that long ago they settled a massive major C.A. about phantom bills. Basically the premise is they stick a random PPV charge on you bill, if you call they apologize immediately and remove it. If you pay the bill first, your payment equals acceptance of the charges per your terms of use agreement.
3) Your standards are different for CS than mine are for my customers. Since this was posted I have again abandoned DirecTV, I simply can not attach my name to their corp practices.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #39
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I get NFL with Dish.

you dont get sunday ticket
Old 10-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #40
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
you dont get sunday ticket

I do not. I thought we were talking about NFL.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #41
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
2) You don't watch you bill very closely. Not all that long ago they settled a massive major C.A. about phantom bills. Basically the premise is they stick a random PPV charge on you bill, if you call they apologize immediately and remove it. If you pay the bill first, your payment equals acceptance of the charges per your terms of use agreement.

This kind of shit is fucking infuriating, and I will never do business with a company that I catch doing it. It's fucking ridiculous.

I hope the new "consumer protection agency," whatever the fuck else it's supposed to do, has some sort of powers to crack down on this sort of shit.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #42
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

There's a reason why the owner of DISH network is referred to as "Cheap Charlie"
Old 10-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #43
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
There's a reason why the owner of DISH network is referred to as "Cheap Charlie"

True.. and I blame Fox sports just as much.

It's a no win either way.. Direct TV doesn't have Fox Soccer unless you get the premium package and doesn't have NFL Redzone unless you get the NFL Gameday package..

I've been happy with Dish, but I can't be without what Mizzou games are being aired this year on Fox and all the Blues games.. that right there is a "can't lose" situation for me as I would take that over Fox Soccer and NFL Redzone any day of the week.

I'm guessing Fox is losing $$$ though, so I assume it will be resolved sooner or later.

Funny thing is, Direct TV's contract with Fox Sports expires in two months, so I'd probably switch and the same thing would happen.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #44
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

and there is a reason Dish continues to offer the cheapest programming option above OTA...
Old 10-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #45
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yes, because they take away stations. Like GolTV (2 years+ with no agreement)
Old 10-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #46
PraetorianX
High School JV

Quote:
No complaints about their signal, its as good as any sat signal. Which is to say perfectly fine 98% of the time.
As to your positive customer service experieence, there are a few possibilities:
1) You have been lucky. They are poor as a rule but have individual good employees.
3) Your standards are different for CS than mine are for my customers. Since this was posted I have again abandoned DirecTV, I simply can not attach my name to their corp practices.

1.) I suppose I may just be lucky. Then again, I've rarely had any problems that I needed to contact them about. Most of the time when I've talked to them it's been them contacting me either about upgrading equipment or giving me freebies for being a customer so long.

2.) I always give any bill I get a thorough inspection and I would definitely notice any PPV charges, seeing as I never use PPV. Never noticed any other phantom charges that couldn't be explained either.

3.) They may be, I dunno. I'm generally pretty content as long as I get the channels I want and a quality signal. My CS experience may be better because when I do have a problem I don't get an attitude about it with the CS people, so they've always treated me okay.
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #47
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Got a Dish DVR question for y'all -- I have a recording that's 4 hours long, and I want to delete the last 3 hours. Is that possible?
Old 10-14-2011, 10:37 PM   #48
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Got a Dish DVR question for y'all -- I have a recording that's 4 hours long, and I want to delete the last 3 hours. Is that possible?

Not that I'm aware of.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #49
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

no you cannot - it's all or nothing
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #50
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

When did Dish get NHL Network and MLB Network?