Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #51
JediKooter
Coordinator

At least he doesn't have to fudge any bank statements.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #52
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Is it possible the faker did meet him?

I'm sure that will be the story from his side
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #53
cmp
Pro Rookie

The profile used fake pictures so I don't know how he could have met her and not known.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #54
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is there a play by play of this somewhere that explains the story? I don't follow college football at all.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #55
Desnudo
Coordinator

Who cares if she met him or not. If she wasn't his girlfriend and is alive what else needs to be said.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #56
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Lance Armstrong is sitting somewhere with a huge shit eating grin on his face.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #57
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Lance Armstrong is sitting somewhere with a huge shit eating grin on his face.

And Oprah is pissed!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #58
MJ4H
Coordinator

I read the deadspin article and don't really get it. Did he invent this girl for the hype or did someone pretend to be his gf online for some weird scam? Lay it out for me like I'm 5 yrs old please.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #59
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

a terrible car accident wasn't tragic enough he had to turn it up to eleven with bone cancer
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #60
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
I read the deadspin article and don't really get it. Did he invent this girl for the hype or did someone pretend to be his gf online for some weird scam? Lay it out for me like I'm 5 yrs old please.

That's the question. Did he know she wasn't real? There are stories out there in which he talks about meeting her, so.........
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #61
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
That's the question. Did he know she wasn't real? There are stories out there in which he talks about meeting her, so.........

Oh ok. I thought I was the only one that didn't figure it out.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #62
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Swarbrick is really putting himself out there if it turns out that Te'o is involved. This will be interesting to watch unravel over the next couple of weeks and I certainly look forward to hearing the perpetrator's side of things.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #63
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
a terrible car accident wasn't tragic enough he had to turn it up to eleven with bone cancer

I thought it was leukemia. Get your fake disease right, Norv!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #64
Jon
High School Varsity

So, Swarbick says the 2009 timeline fits...so this hoax has been going on for 3 years?

And now they "met online."
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #65
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah Jon, there are still a couple big issues I have. In addition to what you mentioned, the fact that they had several meet-ups lined up and she never showed up for anything. At what point would you say WTF and step back. This is really weird because I think he must have been on it but Swarbrick is so far out there in his defense (no real hedging, which is what I expected).
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #66
Jon
High School Varsity

And now Swarbrick is implying the real target was Notre Dame.....
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #67
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I thought it was leukemia. Get your fake disease right, Norv!
leukemia is bone cancer. i should know my canadian girlfriend had it. sadly she was eaten by a shark on the way to her transplant. #missyou

Last edited by NorvTurnerOverdrive : 01-16-2013 at 07:28 PM.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #68
molson
General Manager

Quote:

And his official statement today is still that this is a hoax. Despite the stuff about him meeting her. So I'm still kind of confused, but I'm kind of new to this and haven't yet figured out the relevance of Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, whoever that is.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #69
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
leukemia is bone cancer.

Absolutely not
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #70
RainMaker
General Manager

He made up the whole thing for sympathy/publicity.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #71
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Norv beat me to the "Canadian GF" bit.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #72
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Hilarious story. The guy is either full of shit or is dating Tuiasosopo but doesn't want people to find out he's gay so they did it this way till people started to pry into it and figure things out.

"Ronaiah, my family is asking if Lennay is going to be at my grandmothers funeral, I think they're kind of expecting her to be there."

And then...

Last edited by mckerney : 01-16-2013 at 08:20 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #73
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Wow, in 2 weeks, I have gone from hoping the Bengals would have a shot at this guy to hoping they don't even think about it.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #74
Suicane75
Coordinator

So it's shaping up to be a big ol Samoan gladiator movie.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #75
RainMaker
General Manager

The only other explanation I can think of is that he's gay and this was a cover for it. Still feels like there are much better ways to hide that if you don't want it coming out.

South Bend Tribune has started to delete articles about it. Will be interesting to see how many other news publications try to whitewash this.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #76
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Wow, in 2 weeks, I have gone from hoping the Bengals would have a shot at this guy to hoping they don't even think about it.

Shit, I'm hoping for some reason his draft stock plummets and the Cowboys somehow snatch him up.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 01-16-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #77
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Aren't there a lot of high profile draft bombs at linebacker? I dunno about touching anyone in the first half of the first round.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #78
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'd be far more concerned about how bad he looked taking on blockers in the title game than this to be honest. He probably made a stupid decision as a 17 year old and it mushroomed into this huge thing, it's embarrassing but I don't know if it's as big deal to his draft stock as people think it is. And I'm a USC fan FFS.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #79
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Aren't there a lot of high profile draft bombs at linebacker? I dunno about touching anyone in the first half of the first round.

I think it's easier to get quality linebackers later in the draft. That's why I'd avoid grabbing one too high unless they can rush the passer like Matthews.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #80
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Yeah, I was more discouraged by his performance in the NC game, but this just makes him seem kind of stupid on top of that. He really seems like another Maualuga waiting to happen.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #81
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Wait, what!?!?

Reagan Mauia, an Arizona Cardinals fullback, said he believes Kekua existed because he met her in person when he and other Polynesian teammates and Pittsburgh Steelers star Troy Polamalu went to do charity work in American Samoa in June 2011.
"This was before her and Manti," Mauia said Wednesday evening. "I don't think Manti was even in the picture, but she and I became good friends. We would talk off and on, just checking up on each other kind of thing. I am close to her family. When she was going through the loss of her father, I was -- I offered a comforting shoulder and just someone to bounce her emotions off. That was just from meeting her in Samoa."
Mauia said Tuiasosopo -- whom Mauia believes is Kekua's cousin -- introduced the two. After the initial meeting, Mauia said he met her at an "after-party" for all of the athletes involved in the camp.
"She was tall," he said. "Volleyball-type of physique. She was athletic, tall, beautiful. Long hair. Polynesian. She looked like a model ... "
He said it is his understanding that Kekua's mother is operating her Twitter account. He said he'd never met her mother. When told by a reporter that she apparently might not have existed, Mauia said: "No, she is real."
Te'o is training in preparation for the NFL draft at the IMG Institute in Bradenton, Fla. He is No. 8 on Mel Kiper's latest draft board.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #82
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #83
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Does this anyone's view of the national championship game? If you take Manti at his word, it definitely would be an excuse for his performance and that of his team. I still think Bama rolls Notre Dame, but it does give you pause.

ND's chances were as real as Manti's girlfriend.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #84
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Awesome one from Twitter:

"What if I told you that a girl that gave breath to a championship run, never took a breath at all?" - ESPN's 30 for 30 about Te'o.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #85
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

If we just combine all the great stories from today, Tiger Woods crashed Chip Kelly's helicopter into a crane while having sex with Manti Te'o's outsourced girlfriend.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #86
molson
General Manager

I bet these imaginary girlfriends are a lot less work. And the sex is at least average. I'm not shooting down this idea.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #87
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
If we just combine all the great stories from today, Tiger Woods crashed Chip Kelly's helicopter into a crane while having sex with Manti Te'o's outsourced girlfriend, who Brent Musburger thinks is hot.

Fixed that for you.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #88
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Fixed that for you.

I knew it needed a little something... much like Te'o's love life!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #89
cmp
Pro Rookie

I don't know what else to say anymore. Craziest story ever no matter what the real story is.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #90
TroyF
Coordinator

Words just escape me here. Having a hoax GF is one thing, but killing her off and having the family be involved? I just don't get it. If he was the victim, he lacks some serious brains. If he was the guy who set this up, he's got some majorly misfiring synapses in the brain.

I'm not saying I figured this out (far from it, I bought into it like everyone else), but I was always curious why they talked about the GF so much and there was never a quote from her family and never a picture of the two together. In this day and age, that just doesn't happen.

What a story. The media is taking a beating (CBS/CNET and now this. . . wow)
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #91
bhlloy
Coordinator

I think given the quote from the Cardinals fullback above, I wonder if this wasn't the buddy working with a hot chick to try and get close to football players and figuring there was money involved somewhere on the line. Manti finally gets sick of being strung along and the buddy kills the GF off, thinking it will blow over. But of course the press picks up on it and things start to unravel from there. I don't think the AD of Notre Dame goes out and puts his neck on the line for a kid who is leaving the school anyway if he isn't 110% sure that the kid isn't a victim.

That being said, wow Manti must be stupid and incredibly naive (which does fit some of the things I've heard said about him)
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #92
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I do wonder, now, if Rudy Ruettiger was really a 45-year-old former marine who played a little semi-pro ball and was sad about missing out on a college experience.
Being an ex-marine would imply he did something unselfish in his life... not buying it. (Trust me - real ND fans/grads aren't too fond of Rudy the person for what he's done since that walk-on stint.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbo Klice View Post
I'm sure Te'o was in on it. Not only did he help to fabricate part of the story, there isn't any way I'm believing that a star linebacker from Notre Dame was romantically involved with someone he knew for years but never met face-to-face.
What if I told you the star QB and Heisman Trophy winner from Florida was a virgin?

I have no idea what to believe at this point, but it seems like anything's possible at this point.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #93
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm surprised this story hasn't given Bobby Petrino some new excuses.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #94
cartman
Death Herald

Incredibly, it sounds like Te'o was really just that naive. Internet sleuths are finding stuff showing that he really was Catfished. This guy's feed has links to people discussing it way back in November/early December.

Justin Megahan (justinrmegahan) on Twitter
Old 01-16-2013, 11:42 PM   #95
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I think given the quote from the Cardinals fullback above, I wonder if this wasn't the buddy working with a hot chick to try and get close to football players and figuring there was money involved somewhere on the line. Manti finally gets sick of being strung along and the buddy kills the GF off, thinking it will blow over. But of course the press picks up on it and things start to unravel from there. I don't think the AD of Notre Dame goes out and puts his neck on the line for a kid who is leaving the school anyway if he isn't 110% sure that the kid isn't a victim.

That being said, wow Manti must be stupid and incredibly naive (which does fit some of the things I've heard said about him)

That's believable (though wacky), but hasn't Manti talked about meeting her? Or at least, there's article with specifics about how they met and about times they visited. Maybe that was all fed by hoaxer, and I guess it's possible those columnists never followed up with Manti and that Manti was never aware of any of those articles?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #96
chadritt
High School Varsity

Either Te'o was in on it, there are NO good investgative sports reporters left other than deadspin, or both.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #97
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Either Te'o was in on it, there are NO good investgative sports reporters left other than deadspin, or both.
If having a fake twitter girlfriend was an NCAA violation, Yahoo! probably would have picked up on it.

To be somewhat fair, I could at least see why someone in sports media with integrity or a conscience who had doubts about the story wouldn't want to dig into it and would just keep their mouths shut on the off chance that the name was misspelled or something - telling a national athlete their recently deceased GF wasn't real and then finding out she was would probably be a career-ending move for most reporters. It's the people who did puff pieces based off it without any concrete confirmation that come out looking like idiots (well, and Te'o + family.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 01-17-2013 at 12:05 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:58 PM   #98
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post

None of this will impact where teams draft him
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:08 AM   #99
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
None of this will impact where teams draft him

It will significantly change his interviews though and THAT could affect things. It will be interesting but I dont think he winds up falling too far.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:12 AM   #100
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
That's believable (though wacky), but hasn't Manti talked about meeting her? Or at least, there's article with specifics about how they met and about times they visited. Maybe that was all fed by hoaxer, and I guess it's possible those columnists never followed up with Manti and that Manti was never aware of any of those articles?

Apparently now he's saying that when he said he met her, he was talking about the internet. Why he wouldn't bother to refute numerous stories about meeting her face to face, including how they originally met, is a question worth asking. What the purpose of this Tuiasosopo guy going to such lengths to do this to Manti is another one. I just don't see how he could convince some girl to play the part on the phone to deceive him and his family.
Simbo Klice is offline   Reply With Quote