Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-03-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Program Installation question

I recently put my competer back together after having some issues. I fomatted and reinstalled XP on my C: drive. My question is on my D: drive I have several programs that I can no longer find the install disks for. Is there any way to "re-install" these programs or at least get windows to recognize them?

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I recently put my competer back together after having some issues. I fomatted and reinstalled XP on my C: drive. My question is on my D: drive I have several programs that I can no longer find the install disks for. Is there any way to "re-install" these programs or at least get windows to recognize them?

Yeah, but generally you would have had to back up the registry entries for them, and then import them to your current registry.

If you don't have registry entries backed up for them, you might try to find the/get someone to generate them for you on the internet. I have done this, but you must generally know what you are doing with regards to editing the registry, since you'll have to edit paths, etc.

Have you tried just navigating to the application in windows explorer and double clicking on the application? If it starts up without checking registry entries, this might work.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Generally, no. You would need to know what the installer did and do that by hand. If it used COM, there could be lots of subtle registry changes. If it used .Net then it could install files to the GAC. It could have setup up services. The possibilities are endless.

And, if it installed files in the C: drive, then you no longer have those files to restore.

Last edited by Castlerock : 06-03-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote