Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-29-2023, 07:27 AM   #4351
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Anyone else hate-watching Invasion on Apple TV?

I hope the aliens eviscerate humanity if these people are out best hope.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 07:46 AM   #4352
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Anyone else hate-watching Invasion on Apple TV?

I hope the aliens eviscerate humanity if these people are out best hope.

I watched maybe the first 2 episodes. It was way, way (let me add one more ... way) too slow for me.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 07:49 AM   #4353
Edward64
Head Coach

As I was waiting for the next episode of WoT, caught Angelina Jolie's Those Who Wish Me Dead.

I wasn't expecting much but this was pretty decent, entertaining enough. Not much of a plot and not one I'll rewatch anytime soon. Jolie was her plasticky self, but the action was pretty good.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-29-2023 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-04-2023, 08:09 AM   #4354
Edward64
Head Coach

Finished re-watching "The Pacific". I prefer "Band of Brothers" but The Pacific was pretty good in its own right. It seemed to capture the horror that was the Pacific war, it was grittier and more ... brutal.

FWIW, there is a 3rd series coming out soon on AppleTV.

Quote:
Masters of the Air is an upcoming American war drama streaming television miniseries for Apple TV+. It is based on the 2007 book of the same name by Donald L. Miller and follows the actions of the 100th Bombardment Group of the United States Army Air Forces during World War II. The series serves as a companion to Band of Brothers (2001) and The Pacific (2010). It is also the first series to be produced by Apple Studios, in cooperation with Playtone and Amblin Television.
Old 10-04-2023, 09:11 PM   #4355
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Finished re-watching "The Pacific". I prefer "Band of Brothers" but The Pacific was pretty good in its own right. It seemed to capture the horror that was the Pacific war, it was grittier and more ... brutal.

Have you checked out Dan Carlin's Supernova in the East? It's a long ass podcast series just about the war in the Pacific. It's great, but 5 or 6 episodes about 3 hours+ each.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 06:28 AM   #4356
Edward64
Head Coach

Thanks. I'm not a fan of long podcasts (or books on tape) but will check it out.
Old 10-05-2023, 06:40 AM   #4357
bob
College Starter

Quote:

This series has been in development hell or something for years. Either it sucks and has to be reworked, or something else weird is going on, because they have been done shooting for a long time. Also interesting that HBO passed on it.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 06:48 AM   #4358
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
This series has been in development hell or something for years. Either it sucks and has to be reworked, or something else weird is going on, because they have been done shooting for a long time. Also interesting that HBO passed on it.

Apple has it as "coming soon". So I'm thinking it will happen eventually.

https://tv.apple.com/us/show/masters...l9kmicq738k5q2
Old 10-05-2023, 07:05 AM   #4359
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Are we that hard up for youngish American actors? Band of Brothers was mostly late 20s American actors. The Pacific was about 50/50 American and Australian. Masters of the Air looks to be 90% British.
Old 10-05-2023, 07:55 AM   #4360
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Apple has it as "coming soon". So I'm thinking it will happen eventually.

https://tv.apple.com/us/show/masters...l9kmicq738k5q2

I think its been coming soon for 2+ years
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 09:09 AM   #4361
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I think its been coming soon for 2+ years

I started to google more ("when will Masters of the Air") to find a more definite release date and ... holy crap, what great timing!

Apple’s World War II series Masters of the Air premieres in January - The Verge
Quote:
Apple’s long-in-the-works WWII drama Masters of the Air is only a few months away. The company announced that the series, which comes from the same minds behind Band of Brothers and The Pacific, will start streaming on Apple TV Plus on January 26th. Subsequent episodes will drop every Friday, culminating in the finale on March 15th.

This, and others similar, just popped up 1 hour ago.

Some other pics here

‘Masters of the Air’ Release Date, Photos: Apple TV Plus Austin Butler – TVLine
Old 10-19-2023, 03:44 PM   #4362
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Just cancelled Netflix after having it constantly from the time we were mailing discs back and forth. The price rise announced made it easy to pull the trigger. They keep cutting service and content while increasing prices. Bye-Bye.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-19-2023 at 03:44 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 04:07 PM   #4363
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I started to google more ("when will Masters of the Air") to find a more definite release date and ... holy crap, what great timing!

This, and others similar, just popped up 1 hour ago.

Some other pics here

‘Masters of the Air’ Release Date, Photos: Apple TV Plus Austin Butler – TVLine

I think Apple is currently the best streaming service. They are consistently putting out good stuff. This looks right up my alley.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 06:07 PM   #4364
Swaggs
Coordinator

I have one more episode left in The Fall of the House of Usher. I was expecting it to be set in the past, like Bly Manor, and to have a set up like one of the old Vincent Price films. But it is set in current times with flashbacks and formatted as an interview between a federal prosecutor and the patriarch of the Usher family. Pretty good stuff.

As a fun aside, I asked someone at work if they had seen it and they thought it was about Usher, the musician. Those Vincent Price movies were old when I was a kid, but I guess they don’t randomly air at night any more.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 06:19 PM   #4365
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

The Gold is a good British caper show that is on Paramount Plus. Soundtrack is also outstanding.
Old 11-01-2023, 02:21 PM   #4366
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I have one more episode left in The Fall of the House of Usher. I was expecting it to be set in the past, like Bly Manor, and to have a set up like one of the old Vincent Price films. But it is set in current times with flashbacks and formatted as an interview between a federal prosecutor and the patriarch of the Usher family. Pretty good stuff.

As a fun aside, I asked someone at work if they had seen it and they thought it was about Usher, the musician. Those Vincent Price movies were old when I was a kid, but I guess they don’t randomly air at night any more.
Loved this so much. Mark Hamill should win an Emmy for his role in this.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:26 PM   #4367
Edward64
Head Coach

Saw a trailer for FX Shogun. 10 episodes.

Remake of the 80’s Shogun series based on James Clavell’s novel. Remember enjoying the original.
Old 11-05-2023, 06:30 AM   #4368
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Just got an email that prices are increasing again on December. I'm up to $22.99. I don't even remember what it was before, they've increased it so many times.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 08:52 AM   #4369
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Just got an email that prices are increasing again on December. I'm up to $22.99. I don't even remember what it was before, they've increased it so many times.

Same here.

I, also, got an email from (HBO) Max informing me that while my price isn’t going up, I’ll be getting less than I have been for that price. If I want the same level of service, I will need to pay more.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 09:47 AM   #4370
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Same here.

I, also, got an email from (HBO) Max informing me that while my price isn’t going up, I’ll be getting less than I have been for that price. If I want the same level of service, I will need to pay more.
Yeah, losing 4k and hdd sound. It's stupid.
Old 11-05-2023, 10:19 AM   #4371
Ksyrup

When we were dumping DTV and switching to YTTV and Netflix was talking about shutting down accounts for "family" sharing, I had planned to dump Netflix. But then a weird thing happened - my wife, who had never so much as opened a streaming app, suddenly was transported like 10 years into the past and became enamored with all of the movies and TV shows she could watch. So now she won't let me cancel it.

At least she's made the transition to streaming pretty well. I was concerned she would instantly age 25 years when DTV was cut off.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-05-2023, 06:59 PM   #4372
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

My daughter is watching Twilight in the living room.

Holy fuck this movie is soooooo bad. The acting is horrendous. The pacing is terrible. I don't understand the camera movements or how scenes are about 23 seconds each. I get it's a movie for teens, but this is so bad.
Old 11-05-2023, 07:13 PM   #4373
cuervo72
Head Coach

I felt like that when I tried to watch one of the early Transformers movies with my son years ago. I made it about ten minutes and then just had to tap out.
Old 11-08-2023, 06:48 PM   #4374
GrantDawg

The actor strike is finally over. Finally.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2023, 09:58 AM   #4375
PilotMan
Head Coach

But what did we miss? I haven't run out of things to watch yet.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 10:56 AM   #4376
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

First trailer. Apple Jan 26.

I'm sure it'll be good. I hope there's more of these planned for the next couple decades.
Old 11-09-2023, 11:07 AM   #4377
Edward64
Head Coach

Excited about this one.

Quote:
The highly anticipated sequel, Gladiator 2, is set for release on November 22, 2024. However, the release date could shift due to ongoing actors' strikes. The film, produced by Paramount Pictures and Universal Pictures, is expected to eventually stream on Paramount+ and Peacock.

And this one, but much more speculative.

I Am Legend 2 Release Date Rumors: When Is It Coming Out?
Quote:
Much about the project is being strictly kept under wraps. However, with the ongoing SAG-AFTRA strike, production will not have begun, so, it can be speculated that I Am Legend 2 will come out in 2025 at the earliest.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-09-2023 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-09-2023, 12:35 PM   #4378
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

My wife has had our Hulu subscription in her name forever.

I have the Disney+ subscription (and all others).

I have wanted to sign up for the Disney-Hulu-ESPN bundle for a while now, but. because I have an annual plan with Disney+ I cannot do that under my current account. All I can sign up for is the same annual subscription or the ad-tier Disney+ one.

So, now I have to wait for my annual subscription to actually expire before I can sign up for the bundle.

Why are they making this so difficult?

Similarly, I get Peacock for "free" due to my Xfinity internet package. I was looking for a way to upgrade my Peacock subscription from ads to no ads (I'm like the RedZone, I don't do commercials). I eventually had to call Xfinity only to find out that it's impossible. You can't upgrade your free Peacock subscription by paying the difference.

In unrelated news:

Blue Eye Samurai on Netflix is pretty great. Also, Gen V, the Boys spinoff, on Amazon was excellent and the second season of Invincible just started last week.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-09-2023, 01:39 PM   #4379
Ksyrup

I don't know if it's dependent on which service you are paying for and want to combine with the D+/Hulu/E+ bundle, but I was paying for E+ on an annual subscription and was able to get the bundle under the same account where they switched me to monthly payments for the bundle and credited me back a monthly amount for what was remaining on my E+ annual subscription.
Old 11-09-2023, 01:54 PM   #4380
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I don't know if it's dependent on which service you are paying for and want to combine with the D+/Hulu/E+ bundle, but I was paying for E+ on an annual subscription and was able to get the bundle under the same account where they switched me to monthly payments for the bundle and credited me back a monthly amount for what was remaining on my E+ annual subscription.

I think it is. I did some research into this and Hulu had that kind of flexibility, but Disney+ did not. At all.

I will just have to wait until November 12 to re-subscribe to everything. Hopefully, my daughter isn't on a Disney show kick that morning. Currently, she's into "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" on Amazon, but her moods are fickle.

Also, neither she nor my 12 year old ever watch cable TV, unless, of course, it's the only option at a hotel or something. If my 12 year turns on the TV, it's right to a streaming service.
Old 11-10-2023, 05:45 PM   #4381
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

The Afterparty on Apple TV. First season is funny and the way they style each episode is fun. I'll also watch anything with Sam Richardson. Season 2, not as good but has a few moments are hilarious.
Old 11-10-2023, 06:10 PM   #4382
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
The Afterparty on Apple TV. First season is funny and the way they style each episode is fun. I'll also watch anything with Sam Richardson. Season 2, not as good but has a few moments are hilarious.

I thought the first season was excellent. How each episode's storytelling fit the character the episode was focused on was great. I had a tough time getting into the 2nd season though.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 07:04 PM   #4383
QuikSand
lolzcat

I loaded and watched Bodies on Netflix during a recent trip.

Here's the hook: a detective is chasing a petty crook through London, seemingly routine stuff, and amidst rushing after him, she stumbles across a nude man, lying seemingly dead, with a gunshot to his eye.

We fade out, start up a separate story in 1941, which leads to apparently the same body turning up in the same side street in London. And then, a third story, in 1890, ends up the same way - the same street, same body.

It's a 7 or 8 ep mini series. Pretty well acted (I tab the lead actor from the 1941 segment for big things someday) and written, and... some intriguing stuff beneath the surface oddities. Not an A+ but maybe a solid B+ from me.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 08:35 PM   #4384
RainMaker
General Manager

Glad you are enjoying it. I saw the trailer for it and it seemed right up my alley. Next up on my list.
Old 11-15-2023, 03:55 AM   #4385
whomario
Pro Starter

For F1/Motorsports Fans here or just fans of a good/crazy story: There's a documentary about Brawn GP on Disney+ (Brawn: The impossible Formula 1 story). First look was pretty good. Not sure having a prominent and ever present presenter (Keanu Reeves) is the best move for such a series though.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 06:25 AM   #4386
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I loaded and watched Bodies on Netflix during a recent trip.

Here's the hook: a detective is chasing a petty crook through London, seemingly routine stuff, and amidst rushing after him, she stumbles across a nude man, lying seemingly dead, with a gunshot to his eye.

We fade out, start up a separate story in 1941, which leads to apparently the same body turning up in the same side street in London. And then, a third story, in 1890, ends up the same way - the same street, same body.

It's a 7 or 8 ep mini series. Pretty well acted (I tab the lead actor from the 1941 segment for big things someday) and written, and... some intriguing stuff beneath the surface oddities. Not an A+ but maybe a solid B+ from me.

I know that all time travel falls apart once you spend a second looking at it, but this one really annoyed me. And the ending really annoyed me.
Old 11-20-2023, 12:10 PM   #4387
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Using this link, Hulu is a dollar a month until next turkey day.
https://www.hulu.com/gma

Also, Max is $3 a month for 6 months if you subscribe on their site. It will have ads, but I'll probably get it since my daughter wants to start watching friends.
Old 11-20-2023, 01:26 PM   #4388
Edward64
Head Coach

Thanks. I got a similar, low cost Hulu deal some years ago. If I recall, you don't get all the good stuff, this is just the older inventory of TV shows & movies, right?
Old 11-20-2023, 02:15 PM   #4389
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thanks GE.

I did this some years back and didn't even use it enough to justify the $1/month honestly BUT I think this should let me circle back and watch the last (?) of Attack on Titan which I don't believe we ever finished so it was an easy call to sign-up for just $1.
Old 11-20-2023, 06:58 PM   #4390
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Thanks GE.

I did this some years back and didn't even use it enough to justify the $1/month honestly BUT I think this should let me circle back and watch the last (?) of Attack on Titan which I don't believe we ever finished so it was an easy call to sign-up for just $1.

I can confirm that Attack on Titan is finally done and all available on Hulu.
Old 11-21-2023, 06:17 PM   #4391
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I love how the skip intro button on these services don't come up for 5 seconds, then make sure to only skip until there's 10 seconds left in the intro.
Old 11-22-2023, 07:13 AM   #4392
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Peacock for $20 for a year or $2 per month for 12 months.

Black Friday Deal | Peacock
Old 11-22-2023, 07:21 AM   #4393
Edward64
Head Coach

Thanks again.

I guess where they get you on these deals is when you forget to unsubscribe
Old 11-22-2023, 01:27 PM   #4394
Edward64
Head Coach

Signed up for Peacock, HBO+ and Hulu. Cancelled Disney+ (until something new comes up).

Keeping Prime because it's so darn convenient. Thinking about dropping Netflix for a while.
Old 11-28-2023, 12:51 PM   #4395
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
My wife has had our Hulu subscription in her name forever.

I have the Disney+ subscription (and all others).

I have wanted to sign up for the Disney-Hulu-ESPN bundle for a while now, but. because I have an annual plan with Disney+ I cannot do that under my current account. All I can sign up for is the same annual subscription or the ad-tier Disney+ one.

So, now I have to wait for my annual subscription to actually expire before I can sign up for the bundle.

Why are they making this so difficult?

Similarly, I get Peacock for "free" due to my Xfinity internet package. I was looking for a way to upgrade my Peacock subscription from ads to no ads (I'm like the RedZone, I don't do commercials). I eventually had to call Xfinity only to find out that it's impossible. You can't upgrade your free Peacock subscription by paying the difference.

In unrelated news:

Blue Eye Samurai on Netflix is pretty great. Also, Gen V, the Boys spinoff, on Amazon was excellent and the second season of Invincible just started last week.

I wrapped up Blue Eye Samurai on Netflix. It was awesome. The animation is great, the voice acting is awesome and the writing and story are really good. Would definitely recommend. It's got a Kill Bill in feudal Japan vibe.

I, also, really liked Scavangers Reign on Max. Very solid sci-fi animated series. It's about a crew of a ship that crash lands on an alien planet. The world-building is amazing. The alien life on the planet is very cool, diverse and intricate.

I don't know why I've been watching so many animated series of late, but there you go.
Old 12-01-2023, 07:27 PM   #4396
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched the 3 episodes of The Continental.

Disappointing, it wasn’t what I expected. It had some of the John Wick characters, some of the world … but it was so way out there. Some weird story writing, heck I could have come up with something better.
Old 12-02-2023, 09:11 PM   #4397
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I think the author is too optimistic but it'll be great if it came out late 2023.

The Fallout TV show casting details and news | PC Gamer

Checkout the Amazon Fallout trailer. Scheduled for Apr 12.

Hard to tell just with a trailer (we've all be fooled before, right?) but loving it so far.

12 moments from the Fallout TV show trailer that make us think it could actually be good | PC Gamer

Some nice pics ...

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-02-2023 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-02-2023, 09:23 PM   #4398
RainMaker
General Manager

That looks like it could be really good. Captured the vibe of Fallout games really well.
Old 12-03-2023, 06:26 AM   #4399
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Slow Horses on Apple TV continues to scratch my spy itch.
Old 12-10-2023, 05:32 AM   #4400
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched Eddie Murphy's "Candy Cane Lane". Overall, pretty fun movie, worth the watch. E

My wife is playing Christmas movie bingo with her 3 sisters. She's can watch one Christmas movie a night. But I've come to realize many of the recent Christmas shows are really more rom-com's with a side of Christmas theme.