Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #51
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So I put this on Facebook and I figure we may have a fun discussion about this here, but does any other city do this? Atlanta has these pretentious bars with middle-class to upper-class liberal clientele who usually don't have TVs up for sports (to facilitate conversation or what ever the heck the reason is) and all of a sudden they put up big screen TVs all over the place because of the World Cup. They don't really care about soccer (nothing for UEFA Championships or CONCACAF Championships), but only throw them up for the World Cup... I guess because it makes that sort of pretentious liberal (as a liberal who can be pretentious at times, I feel I can use the slur ) sort feel cultured?

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #52
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I guess it would be the same if a place put TVs up for the Olympics. Would they also be pretentious if they didn't have them up for Track and Field Championships? There is a large swath of the population that only pays attention to these events when they occur, and ignore it the other 3 years. If the bar gets more clients with the TVs than they lose by people upset with the TVs and not showing up, isn't that just the free market at work?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #53
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

They don't put the TVs up for the Olympics though. Nor for any other sport.

Just because its "free market" doesn't mean it isn't subject to ridicule for pretentiousness and poseur-ness. Heck, I'm sure they'd get more clients if they put up TVs for the SuperBowl or the World Series as well, but they don't do it then.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #54
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So I'm guessing you got a last minute cancellation to watch games together at this particular bar?
Old 06-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #55
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Nooo.... I tend to avoid those bars like the plague during World Cup time. I'd rather watch the game with people who actually care about the sport and aren't just watching it as a status symbol.

I mean these TVs literally get boxed up the day after the tournament.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:16 PM   #56
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

So you're upset that bars you aren't going to go to are showing the World Cup?
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #57
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

No.

I imagine that every bar is going to showing the World Cup.

I'm rolling my eyes as the pretentious-ness of some of these non-TV bars. Who apparently don't show sports or whatever because they want people to have conversations and not be distracted (or whatever - because you can't talk when a baseball game is in the background). But then the World Cup comes and let's load 'em up with TVs! For some reason it seems to be some sort of liberal elite cultural marker to pretend to like soccer, and the pretentious bars that cater to them.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #58
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

No, I mean, I understand that you've said that.

Still, you're upset that bars you won't be going to are showing the World Cup.

It would be more understandable if your favorite bar, where you've watched soccer for ten years, was suddenly too full of bandwagoners to let you in.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs3 : 06-06-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #59
digamma
Torchbearer

I don't particularly like soccer, but I really enjoy the World Cup and I will probably watch at least one of the games in a bar (though I believe it will be one that normally has at least one television). Does that make me a pretentious liberal elite?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #60
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post
Still, you're upset that bars you won't be going to are showing the World Cup.

Edit: Oh wait! I'm sorry.. I misread your early post! Apologies! (for some reason I thought you said I'm upset that the bars I'm going to won't be showing the World Cup - switching the "won't" later in the sentence)

Yes, so? Surely this isn't the first or only time you've heard people rail on pretentiousness or poseur-dom?

Edit2: And maybe some of those people could actually, I dunno, darken the doors of their local sports pub. Though they'd have to sit with the people they tend to insult otherwise.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 06-06-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #61
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I don't particularly like soccer, but I really enjoy the World Cup and I will probably watch at least one of the games in a bar (though I believe it will be one that normally has at least one television). Does that make me a pretentious liberal elite?

That depends? Do you rail upon other sports (sometimes calling them overly barbaric and tribalistic)? I'm guessing by posting here, the answer is no?
Old 06-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #62
whomario
Pro Starter

Germany just lost it´s best offensive player in Marco Reus to an ankle injury, did not look good at all
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #63
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Edit: Oh wait! I'm sorry.. I misread your early post! Apologies! (for some reason I thought you said I'm upset that the bars I'm going to won't be showing the World Cup - switching the "won't" later in the sentence)

Yes, so? Surely this isn't the first or only time you've heard people rail on pretentiousness or poseur-dom?

Edit2: And maybe some of those people could actually, I dunno, darken the doors of their local sports pub. Though they'd have to sit with the people they tend to insult otherwise.

Do you get angry that people who probably mocked fantasy in past are really into Game of Thrones, or are you happy that something you love is being more widely appreciated?
Old 06-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #64
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post
Do you get angry that people who probably mocked fantasy in past are really into Game of Thrones, or are you happy that something you love is being more widely appreciated?

The "really into" is part of the problem, isn't it? I have a co-worker who flat out told me that he doesn't watch soccer, but watches the World Cup - however, he still considers the sport boring and it really doesn't interest him. I find this mentality more often than not - if one really enjoyed soccer after all, why not watch the UEFA Championships or the CONCACAF Championships depending (UEFA's quality is almost just as good as the World Cup, if not more, and with CONCACAF you can root for the US if that's why you were watching in the first place).

Furthermore, I do actually have some problems with some of these people who are "really into" GoT. Are these Game of Thrones watchers going to still mock fantasy (the whole "I don't like fantasy, it's lame, aside from GoT" mentality) and/or going to end their fantasy viewing after GoT is over. Will it change anything aside from that one show? Or will they use GoT to maybe reflect over their past fantasy mocking and look for other stories?
Old 06-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #65
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

I guess I don't see why you care about other people's thoughts so much. Popularity has done wonders for GoT. It will help soccer too. Even if it appears to you to be insincere. A rising tide, etc.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #66
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

One generally does not like seeing ones interests being turned into curiosities.

Sporadic World Cup viewing does not really translate into soccer growth - MLS ratings don't rise after every WC (the MLS's success has come from strong steady growth and smart management). The people I'm speaking about, watch the WC, and then tune out - as do the establishments that cater to them (literally the day after the WC Final the TV's are out).

In addition, you are mixing metaphors . Popularity has, of course, done wonders for GoT - but you were comparing GoT popularity to fantasy. Has it done wonders for fantasy novels in general?
Old 06-06-2014, 04:44 PM   #67
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
The "really into" is part of the problem, isn't it? I have a co-worker who flat out told me that he doesn't watch soccer, but watches the World Cup - however, he still considers the sport boring and it really doesn't interest him. I find this mentality more often than not - if one really enjoyed soccer after all, why not watch the UEFA Championships or the CONCACAF Championships depending (UEFA's quality is almost just as good as the World Cup, if not more, and with CONCACAF you can root for the US if that's why you were watching in the first place).
I suppose I feel somewhat the same way about baseball as your co-worker does about soccer. The only time I actually bothered to turn the tv on for baseball was when the Dutch (kingdom) baseball team reached the semifinals in the World Baseball classic and when they steamrolled to World Champions, difference being that I still couldn't careless about whether Japan or Cuba would beat the USA.

I guess that doesn't make it right, but the charm of a tournament is that it's shorter and faster paced than a full season, but the eventual winner will be equally, if not more ecstatic about their victory. (edit: and there's the patriotic element added.)

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 06-06-2014 at 04:47 PM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #68
whomario
Pro Starter

At least a few other recently injured players came back for the last game before the WC with Lahm and Schweinsteiger (Khedira also came back only recently). Starting GK Manuel Neuer sat the game out again with a shoulder injury ...

Klose also made an apearance after not playing against Cameroon, he made a good impression when he came on and also scored his 69th goal for the NT, now alone atop the germany scoring chart (although admittedly, the great Gerd Müller only needed 62 games for his 68 goals. Yes, that guy was the greatest pure goal scorer to ever play this game)
It is also the most among active players anywhere.

Other Injury News:

For France, Ribery is out for the WC as is Shirokow for Russia (in both cases the most influential offensive player for their teams). For Colombia, Falcao is out.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:49 PM   #69
21C
College Prospect

How to avoid World Cup Spoilers | TV Tonight

Fetch TV: Spoiler Spoiler

Firefox and Chrome extension to block any possible results before you have had a chance to watch the game.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:53 AM   #70
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
How to avoid World Cup Spoilers | TV Tonight

Fetch TV: Spoiler Spoiler

Firefox and Chrome extension to block any possible results before you have had a chance to watch the game.

Will that work for FOFC?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #71
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

When does Great Britain play? I enjoyed watching them in the Olympics.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #72
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
Not funny.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:32 PM   #73
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Not funny.

I chuckled.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #74
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Two links for today

3 Ways to Add the FIFA World Cup Schedule to Your Phone - wikiHow

How to Watch the World Cup Like a True Soccer Nerd «
Old 06-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #75
molson
General Manager

This is kind of fun, a cup simulator you can run based on various rankings.

http://pirozhok.somee.com/sim.aspx
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #76
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
This is kind of fun, a cup simulator you can run based on various rankings.

http://pirozhok.somee.com/sim.aspx
My first attempt at that had United States as winner on penalties versus Germany.
The best part was seeing both Spain and Portugal undefeated yet knocked out in the group stage.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 06-10-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #77
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I don't see this as too likely, especially USA over Argentina.

Round of 16 Score Winner
Brazil Netherlands 2:1 Brazil
Colombia Italy 2:0 (AET) Colombia
Honduras Bosnia-Herzegovina 0:2 Bosnia-Herzegovina
Germany Algeria 2:1 Germany
Croatia Spain 0:2 Spain
Greece Uruguay 1:1 (PK) Greece
Ecuador Argentina 1:2 Argentina
United States Belgium 2:2 (PK) United States

Quarterfinals Score Winner
Brazil Colombia 1:0 Brazil
Bosnia-Herzegovina Germany 0:1 Germany
Spain Greece 1:2 (AET) Greece
Argentina United States 1:2 United States

Semifinals Score Winner
Brazil Germany 2:1 Brazil
Greece United States 1:0 Greece

3rd Place Score Winner
Germany United States 2:0 (AET) Germany
Final Score Winner
Brazil Greece 0:0 (PK) Brazil
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #78
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Is there any LEGAL way to watch streaming in the US if you don't have ESPN because you've cut the cord?
Old 06-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #79
digamma
Torchbearer

I assume your ISP does not get you access to Watch ESPN?
Old 06-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #80
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

If you have access to Univision (cable or OTA or via iOS/Android app) and don't mind Spanish commentary they'll be showing all but the last 8 games (which should be on ABC OTA).

Last edited by flere-imsaho : 06-10-2014 at 11:45 AM.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #81
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Not all of them, unfortunately. 3 of the Quarterfinals and BOTH semifinals are on ESPN (which is idiotic, but thankfully I found that getting cable internet from Comcast gives me the option to live stream).

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 06-10-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #82
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I assume your ISP does not get you access to Watch ESPN?

No, I'm Time Warner / RoadRunner, which means I'd have to have cable TV to stream ESPN.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #83
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Not all of them, unfortunately. 3 of the Quarterfinals and BOTH semifinals are on ESPN (which is idiotic, but thankfully I found that getting cable internet from Comcast gives me the option to live stream).

Unreal. I hate TV monopolies in this country. For comparison:

Quote:
Where to watch if you’re in the U.S.

ESPN: The sports network will be streaming all 64 games from the first kick-off to the finale through its WatchESPN apps, which are available for iPhones and iPads, Android phones and tablets, Kindle Fire tablets and Windows 8 tablets and PCs. Users can also access the stream through the WatchESPN website as well as through dedicated apps for Amazon’s Fire TV, Roku streaming boxes, Apple TV, Xbox One and Xbox 360, and both the Android and iOS app can cast the streams to Google’s Chromecast streaming stick. ESPN will offer these streams in English, Portuguese and Korean, and online viewers will apparently be able to switch between multiple camera angles.

However, ESPN only makes these streams available to viewers that pay for TV service and have ESPN as part of their channel lineup. Streams are also limited to customers of pay TV providers that have so-called TV Everywhere deals with ESPN, which includes Comcast, AT&T, Dish and Cox, but not DirecTV and a few others. Check ESPN’s website to see if your operator is on ESPN’s friendlies’ list, otherwise you’ll have to check for other options.

Univision: Spanish-language broadcaster Univision will also stream each and every game on its website as well as through dedicated apps for iPhones and iPads as well as Android phones and tablets. Univision’s broadcasts as well as the apps themselves will be in Spanish, so it may be time to polish up your vocabulary, especially if you’re a cord cutter: Univision will stream the first 56 games without the need to sign in with a pay TV provider login. However, the quarterfinals, semifinals and the finale will only be made available to customers of pay TV providers the network has a deal with, which at this point include AT&T, Bright House, Optimum, Cox, DirecTV, Dish, Time Warner Cable and Verizon, but not Comcast.

And there is a silver lining for cord cutters: Univision will broadcast all of the games for free, over the air via local Univision affiliates, so all you need is an antenna. Fifty-six games, including all of the ones that have streams restricted to pay TV customers, will be available via Univision over the air, and be simulcast on the Univision Desposportes cable network. Eight games will only air on the broadcaster’s UniMás network (and simulcast on the Galavisión cable network), which is available over the air in some, but not all markets. You can visit this channel calculator to see whether you have access to Univision and UniMás.

TuneIn: Can’t watch the games, but still want to follow along live? There’s always radio: ESPN Radio will be broadcasting all 64 games. You can listen to it via your local affiliate, or through TuneIn, which aggregates all the games on its site and also streams them through its iPhone, iPad and Android apps.

Aereo. Another way to stream the games is Aereo, the service that relays over-the-air broadcast TV to mobile devices, Chromecast sticks and Roku boxes. Aereo won’t offer access to ESPN, but will be able to stream 10 games that will air on local ABC affiliates, including the finale. The service will also offer access to Univision’s programming. However, Aereo is only available in select markets, and is currently being sued by broadcasters.

Where to watch if you’re in other countries

The World Cup is being broadcast by TV networks around the globe, many of which will also stream the games live online. We can’t possibly list links for every country on earth here, but you should check this Wikipedia article if you want to know which broadcaster has the rights for the event in your country. Here are a few select broadcasters from countries with English-language programming:

Australia: SBS will stream each and every game on its website as well as through its iOS and Android apps.

Canada: CBC will stream all 64 games of the World Cup on its website as well as through its iOS and Android apps — no pay TV subscription required.

Ireland: RTÉ will stream all 64 games live on its website as well as through its mobile apps, including 8 that won’t be broadcast on TV.

U.K.: The BBC streams each and every game for free and without the need for a pay TV subscription through its iPlayer, which is available on the web as well for iOS, Android, Chromecast as well as a variety of game consoles, connected TV platforms and TV set-top boxes.

Says it all, really.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #84
PilotMan
Head Coach

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #85
cartman
Death Herald

Friendly bump to remind that the first post in the thread contains the info for the ESPN Pick 'Em. The games start tomorrow!
Old 06-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #86
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And there is a silver lining for cord cutters: Univision will broadcast all of the games for free, over the air via local Univision affiliates, so all you need is an antenna. Fifty-six games, including all of the ones that have streams restricted to pay TV customers, will be available via Univision over the air, and be simulcast on the Univision Desposportes cable network. Eight games will only air on the broadcaster’s UniMás network (and simulcast on the Galavisión cable network), which is available over the air in some, but not all markets. You can visit this channel calculator to see whether you have access to Univision and UniMás.

I was wondering about this (from all the reports saying first 56 games)! Thank God for Univision!

--

Though the comparison to other countries isn't particularly an apples to apples comparison because all of the listed countries (Australia, Canada, Ireland, Britain) are broadcasting/streaming through public broadcasting companies, which are also major broadcasters of programming in those countries. People would flip their collective shit if PBS was to bid and win World Cup rights.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #87
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Univision, here I come!
Old 06-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #88
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I watch MLS games on UniMas. One of these days I'll learn Spanish, just so I can figure out what they are saying during those games (not because there are Spanish speaking immigrants moving in all around, LOL).
Old 06-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #89
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Though the comparison to other countries isn't particularly an apples to apples comparison because all of the listed countries (Australia, Canada, Ireland, Britain) are broadcasting/streaming through public broadcasting companies, which are also major broadcasters of programming in those countries. People would flip their collective shit if PBS was to bid and win World Cup rights.

That's my point, though. In the U.S., the most important thing about broadcasting the World Cup is making sure the company that won the rights makes as much money off of it as it can. In other countries, the most important thing is making is as accessible as possible to all who want to view it.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:58 AM   #90
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
That's my point, though. In the U.S., the most important thing about broadcasting the World Cup is making sure the company that won the rights makes as much money off of it as it can. In other countries, the most important thing is making is as accessible as possible to all who want to view it.

You are talking about two vastly different methods of TV delivery. For instance, in the UK, the BBC is THE main network. You have others, like iTV, Sky, etc, but the BBC is akin to a CBS, FOX, etc. The US's TV network never developed that way. It has always been private providers first.

In Britain, FWIW, everyone who buys a TV pays a tax for the BBC. I'm sure if that occurred in the US with PBS, they could make that happen too .

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 06-11-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #91
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yes, I know, I happened to live in the UK for 5 years.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #92
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh oh, for USA this isn't the best news. Portugal looks more than ready to go:

Ronaldo leads rampant Portugal to big win - FIFA.com
Old 06-11-2014, 03:11 PM   #93
cartman
Death Herald

I wonder if that witch doctor in Ghana is set up to take PayPal to help him with the CR7 curse.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #94
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

There should be enough time to Kickstarter that, right?
Old 06-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #95
digamma
Torchbearer

Here is a good prop bet: Number of scores in this Magary article or total number of goals in the World Cup.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #96
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

that's awesome....
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #97
cartman
Death Herald

At least he hasn't lost his sense of humor. This is pretty good.

Landon Donovan in hilarious World Cup video - SBNation.com
Old 06-11-2014, 11:02 PM   #98
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

16 hours...
Old 06-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #99
Butter
Coordinator

How about Saturday! 4 games on the schedule, spread out over 11+ hours. That's going to be awesome. I already told my wife to plan on me just doing that for the day.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #100
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
How about Saturday! 4 games on the schedule, spread out over 11+ hours. That's going to be awesome. I already told my wife to plan on me just doing that for the day.

Yeah, right?