Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-23-2003, 03:01 PM   #1
Samdari
Roster Filler

WM3/Scott Peterson intersect?

There is an interesting article on CNN.com in which they quote numerous law enforcement sources as saying that there has never been evidence of a satanic cult related murder. A noted anthropology professor studied the issue for years and concluded that there was no evidence such cults even existed.

Yet, isn't that what the three men collectively known as the West Memphis Three were convicted of? Information at that (strongly "the WM3 are innocent" biased) website points strongly to the idea that these murders were painted as a satanic/cult/ritual killing by prosecutors.

Whatever your opinions on the guilt or innocence of the WM3, the disconnect between them being convicted, supposedly of a satanic cult killing, and the rush to discount Peterson's "a cult did it" theory, because satanic cults, which don't exist, and also don't murder children as ritual, is disturbing.

EDIT: F%cking Links

Last edited by Samdari : 06-23-2003 at 03:01 PM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 09:41 PM   #2
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Well, the prosecutors did dream up the idea of the cult, but the supporters of the WM3 point to plenty of evidence claiming that is false.

As far as Scott Peterson goes, I think this clinches his guilt. This is as much of a punt as you are ever going to see.

In regards to cults, I'm not sure where I fall on that issue. I know that many crimes have been attributed to cults, but I have also seen that many times when cults are blamed, it is usually by prosecutors with a weak case or defendants with no other recourse. I'm not aware of any proof beyond a shadow of a doubt that satanic, murderous cults exist. You can claim that the Manson Family was one, but I think that was more just a bunch of complete lunatics.

That being said, I knew a woman once who claimed that she had been a member of a cult that sacrificed to newborn children. She said that she had at least one child who had been sacrificed. She claimed that she broke free of the cult and that they paid her a sum of money if she agreed to never sue them or testify against them. Frankly, the story sounds a bit fishy, but I suppose there is a possibility that it was true.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 01:24 PM   #3
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Didn't David "Son of Sam" Berkowitz say he was involved with Satanic Cults, and that was part of what drove him to do what he did? The cult itself wasn't part of the killings, but influenced his behavior.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 03:35 PM   #4
Samdari
Roster Filler

I thought Berkowitz was just a loonie who thought that God (or the Devil?) talked to him through his dog (neighbor's dog) and told him to kill those dirty girls.

But, in that case, the prosecution did not buy any cult stuff either. In the WM3 case, it was the prosecutors who sold the theory that it was a satanic cult killing. That is what sets it apart from most claims - and what makes the statement that, "there is no evidence that a cult killing has ever taken place" from the CNN article so disturbing.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:20 PM   #5
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Samdari - Clearly you are breaking the rules. No one is supposed to remember that detail and is supposed to buy the current spin 100%. You are not doing your part as a good citizen.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 08:30 PM   #6
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

I'm certain that there have been isolated loonies who murdered people in the name of Satan. That said, having studied the history of witchcraft and the occult (at a major public university, no less), I'm aware of no organized (i.e. larger than two or three loonies) groups that murdered people for Satanic reasons in modern history. But that's probably because a) any large groups usually have at least one member break and tell the police, which hasn't evidently happened and b) the most efficient groups have obviously not been uncovered yet.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #7
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Rumor is that the WM3 will plead nolo contendre tomorrow with 2 being released.

http://http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg...,5347577.story
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

It looks like they will be freed. I don't know why they would not want to go to trial and clear their names.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:56 AM   #9
digamma
Torchbearer

Moved per request.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #10
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The WM3 was released after plea-ing in a way that they still hold their innocence, but allows them to be free with time served. Sort of bizarre, but understandable that Echols was still facing the death sentence. Forensic scientist have proven many of the wounds on the boys was caused by animals after they were dead, and prove that Misskelley's forced confession was totally false. I was living in Memphis at the time of the murders, and it was clear even before the documentaries and such that these boys were being rail-roaded. I had also lived through a "witch-hunt" before this were prosecutors tried to create a crime to imprison some friends because they were "different." Now, most of these kids would be considered almost normal.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #11
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Moved per request.

Thanks.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
DanGarion
Coordinator

Isn't Scott Peterson the guy that killed his girlfriend with a boat?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote