Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-22-2008, 12:12 PM   #251
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

UNLV starts the game off with 10-0 run. Their defense is trapping, pressing, and creating turnovers. They are shooting 3's with great skill and working us inside.

I call a timeout to try to calm my team down.

It's 4 minutes into the game before we score as Everett finds Santos alone on the wing for a 16 footer. 12-2.

After that burst, we play them even for the next 8 minutes or so, but it is taking everything we have to do that.

Our guards and Andres come out exhausted with 8:26 to go. We are down 23-14.

Well, it's not the blowout that I feared so far. We are down 35-27 at the half.

Ernie Waller is the player of the half. The athletic SF has 9 points, 6 boards, and 2 steals at the half.

Hodari leads our team with 7 points and 3 boards. Andres has 4, Santos 6, and Everett 5.

Wow. We have a great run to start the half, including blocks by Santos and Andres. With 16:20 to go, we tie it at 37!

They miss a 3 and we get another fast break going.. Hodari is fouled! He hits both FT's to give us the lead!

Hodari with a block of their next shot and a fast break dunk by Hodari! They take a timeout to try to end our run.

After a missed 3, we get the ball. Hodari uses a baseline screen from Santos to hit an open 14 footer!

After they score a basket, Andres draws a 3rd foul on Sykes on our next possession.

A few seconds later, Andres draws a 3rd foul on Fox!

They start pulling close a few minutes later, when Everett beats their full court press setting up Santos with a run at the basket with 1 defender under it.. he dunks over the defender and gets the foul! He makes the FT. 47-43 with 12 minutes to go, we lead!

We are feeding off the crowd, and no one is tired.

They foul Pait on our next possession, and we are in the bonus. He misses the FT.

The crowd was starting to die down, but our next possession, Andres spins off his man and has a powerful dunk!

They are missing their 3's now. Hodari is doing a great job of defending their SG's. They miss yet another.. We fastbreak off the rebound.. Andres is fouled.

With just over 9 minutes to go, they tie it at 50.

After a miss by Andres, Fox hits a 3 to give them the lead and their crowd is going wild.

We call a timeout and our starters still look good stamina wise.

Andres fakes a 3, dribbles past his man who rushed out to guard it and slams it home. He now has 11.

With 6:33 to go, Andres hits the 2nd of 2 3's in a row. This one gives us a 60-58 lead!

Billings with a 16 footer to tie it up.

After a miss by Andres, Farrell has a fast break slam. We come right back down and Pait is fouled. That is a 4th on Sykes. Pait makes the 2nd. 62-61.

With 5 minutes left, Andres is tired. He'll get a very brief breather.

They miss a 3. We call a timeout to give Andres the breather. Everyone else is going to go the distance I think, unless we need 3 pointers in which case Snow will come/stay on for someone else.

Snow misses a 3. He fouls their shooter at the other end who hits 1 of 2. 63-61, they lead.

Our next possession Snow hits 1 of 2 FT's. After they miss an interior shot, we get it back. Everett passes it to Santos down low.. they double him.. he kicks it out, it is swung around to Everett in the corner.. he drills the 3! 65-63 lead!

Billings with a very quick jumper to tie it at 65.

They trap Everett and force him to pass to Snow who is trapped and turns it over. However, we recover defensively and force them to go their halfcourt set. They miss a 3.

We call a timeout and get Andres back into the game with 2:45 to go.

Hodari misses a 3, but Pait gets an offensive board! He kicks it out to Everett who is fouled while shooting a 3!

Everett makes 2 of 3. They get a good drive to the hoop on their next possession, but he tries a reverse layup and blows it! Pait was in the area.

Santos passes to Andres for a decent look at a 3 but he misses it.

Pait with a block of a drive by Sanders, their PG. They get the ball back. 1:23 to go...

Sykes with a layup. Tied at 67.

A little over 1 minute left.

We work it down to 8 seconds.. Everett passes to Andres.. he shoots over their SF and drills the 3!!! 70-67.

Everett steals it from their PG!!! They intentionally foul him! He hits both FT's.

They miss a 3, but get the board. Sanders hits a 3. 72-70. 8 seconds left. Everett is fouled with 6 seconds left. The freshman hits both FT's!!!

They miss the last second 3 and we win it!!!! 74-70

Andres is the player of the game. 20 points, 6 boards, 2 steals, and 3 blocks He also had 4 turnovers. He shot 8 of 16, 2 of 6, and 2 of 4.

Everett had 14 points, 5 assists, 2 steals, and 3 turnovers. He shot 2 of 5, 1 of 3, and 9 of 10.

Hodari had 14 ponts, 6 boards, 1 assist, 1 steal, and 1 block. He shot 5 of 12, 1 of 6, and 3 of 6.

Santos had 17 points, 7 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal, and 3 blocks. He shot 7 of 13, 1 of 2, and 2 of 2. He played 37 minutes.

Pait had 3 points, 9 boards, 2 assists, and 2 blocks.

Snow had 6 points on 2 of 4 shooting, 1 of 2, and 1 of 2.

I can't believe we made it to the Sweet 16 after drawing the #1 seed in the 2nd round

Our 3rd opponent is funny. Remember the NIT from last year. We face the team that knocked us out of it: Pittsburgh. They are the 4 seed in this bracket and they are 25-9 this year. They are an even better team than we faced last year. Rated 90 in overall talent, but no one scares me after we just won that last game. If our starting 5 are on, they can play with anyone.

Pitt doesn't have the depth of the team we just face, but they do have a very strong starting 5:

PF Rwehabura Jordan is 6'10 225 pounds and he is rated 87 overall. He is a great rebounder, very good shot blocker, and a great inside scorer.

PF/C Antwawn Mulligan is a senior who can hit the 3, score inside, rebound, and block shots. Rated 87 overall.

SR SG Grant Lee is a senior who can do everything well and is a great defender. Rated 87 overall.

PF Magnus Jackett is 6'10 250 and he is rated 72 overall. Great 3 point shooter for a big man, shot blocker, fast player for a big man, and good defender. Played SF last year against us and was a tough player for Andres to stop.

A new face: Freshman center Adrian Rhodes is 7'0 255 pounds. Rated 77 overall. He is a classic center, a bit slow, but a solid defender, post player, and rebounder. Very good shot blocker. Decent interior scorer.

Another new face: PG Freshman Lebo Shepard is 6'3 185 pounds. He is very fast, great dribbler, great defender, and a good shooter.

Our goals will be to get their stars into foul trouble.

Their bench is ordinary beyond these guys.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:26 PM   #252
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

We are up 8-7 at the 15 minute mark.

At the 10 minute mark, Andres and Everett are exhausted. They are playing tight M2M defense. They are up 14-10.

With 9 minutes to go, Hodari cuts into the lane and draws a 2nd foul on Rhodes.

Down 19-15 with 5 minutes to go in the half.

A minute later, Snow hits a 3 and the foul to tie it up at 19.

Suddenly, a flurry of scoring starts...

Snow with a 3.. Andres with a 3.. Snow with a 3.

We are up 30-26 at the half.

Snow is the player of the half. He has 12 points on 4 of 5 shooting, 3 of 4 from the arc.

Andres has had a great half as well: 8 points, 3 boards, 3 assists, 3 steals, and a block.

Santos is in foul trouble with 2.

Rhodes is their only player we got into foul trouble with 2.

Mulligan leads their team with 6, Jackette has 5.

We have a 5 point lead for most of the early part of the 2nd half, but around the 13 minute mark, our shooting goes cold. They close within 2 on a 3 by Jackett. Hodari makes a nice move to get into the lane and get a foul but he misses both FT's.

Lee who is heating up for them as well, hits a jumper to tie it at 42 with 12:14 left in the game.

Mulligan with 2 3's in a row to give them a 48-44 lead.

Andres and Everett are tired and need rest. Hendriks on his first touch fakes out his man with crossover dribble and drives into the lane and gets an open 12 foot jumper. 48-46.

Jackett with a 2. Snow with a 3. 50-49.

Jackett misses a 3.. Pait with the board passes to Santos who passes to Snow who beat Jackett down the court.. slam dunk! 51-50.

Cruz their backup PG hits a 14 footer on a feed by Jackett. 52-51.

Hendriks gets fouled by Cruz after beating him on the dribble into the lane. He misses his FT.

Two defensive stops on each side before Snow hits a 14 footer. 53-52.

Mulligan with an offensive tip back of a missed Jackett shot. 54-53.

Snow's 3 attempt is blocked by Jackett. Jackett misses a 3.

Snow fakes a 3, gets his man to bite, and drives into the lane for a floater. 55-54.

Rhodes draws a foul on Pait in the paint. He hits both FT's. 56-55. 3:50 left in the game.

Jackett steals a pass of Hendriks. He hits a corner jumper at the other end. 58-55.

I call a timeout and get Everett and Andres back into the game. All of our starters will go the distance on adrenaline.

Santos has a 3 rim out. They work the clock a bit and then feed it to Mulligan in the post.. he uses a nice double move and scores down low. 60-55.

Andres with a drive to the hoop.. collapsing defense, he passes to Pait who is fouled on a dunk attempt. Pait hits both FT's.

Jackett with a quick basket. Andres responds with a quick 14 foot jumper. 62-59. 1:44 to go.

They work the clock to 10 seconds but miss the 3. We get a fastbreak going and Everett finds Andres in the lane for an easy layup. 62-61!

Lee misses a 3 pointer. Mulligan gets the board but misses the quick putback. Pait gets the board!

With 28 seconds left, Everett finds Andres open in the corner.. he shoots... and misses. Jackett gets the board. We have to foul.

He hits both FT's. 64-61.

I don't know if they did it intentionally, but they just did something that could have been brilliant.. They fouled Everett before I could get a 3 point play setup. He goes to the line for 2.

Everett hits both of them. We foul their point guard. He misses the FT's. We get off a quick 3 by Santos who is open.. he misses it!

Jackett gets the board. We foul him. He hits 1 of 2. We get the ball back and get it across midcourt. Timeout. Down 65-63. 4 seconds left...

We sub Snow in for Hodari...

Inbound to Andres.. he is double teamed.. he passes to Snow who is open for a look.. man running at him.. he shoots.. it's no good.

We lose 65-63.

Mulligan was the player of the game for Pitt. He had 19 points, 9 boards, 2 steals, and 2 blocks.

Jackett had 15 points 12 boards, 6 assists, 2 steals, and a block.

Snow led us with 21 points. He shot 8 of 11 and 4 of 6 from the arc. He was 1 of 2 from the line.

Andres had 17 points, 3 assists, 3 boards, 4 steals, and a block. He shot 8 of 18, 1 of 8, and 0 of 0. A great career comes to an end.

Everett had 3 points and 6 assists.

Godari had 6 points and 3 assists.

Santos had 8 points and 6 boards. He was 4 of 14.

Pait had 4 points, 12 boards, and 2 blocks.

Now, the heart of my team graduates as all 4 senior starters go and I have to decide if I should leave the school while my stock is at all time high, assuming I get offers.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:46 PM   #253
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Pitt went on to beat #2 seed Kansas 72-68 in the Elite 8 and advance to the Final 4.

They faced 4 seed Texas who beat 3 seed Louisville 88-85 in the South Regional.

Texas beat Pittsburgh 93-82 to advance to the National Championship Game.

The other side of the Final 4 featured UNC who cruised past LSU 110-82 in the Elite 8.

They faced 8 seed Arizona who beat #2 Georgetown 78-71.

UNC beat Arizona 102-77.

Texas upset UNC in the National Championship Game, 80-78. SR PG Bienvenu Stehly led the way with 19 points and 7 assists.

Maury Gomez, a senior center from George Washington, won National Player of the year. He averaged 24.3 ppg, 8.7 rpg, and 2.5 bpg.

Rashard Osimani of Youngstown won Mid-Major Player of the Year over Andres. The SR PF scored 17.9 ppg and had 10.1 rpg along with 2.8 bpg.

Roy Williams of UNC won Coach of the Yar.

Gervais Korakic, a SR PF won defensive player of the year. He averaged 3.1 bpg.

Gomez won Big Man of the Year.

Brennon Norris of Duke won Freshman of the Year. A PF he averaged 8 ppg and 6.2 rpg. He is expected to be 1 and done. He was a former #1 player in HS.

I won Metro Atlantic Coach of the Year.

Willie Andres won Metro Atlantic Player of the Year. He finished with 19.6 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.7 spg, and 0.2 bpg.

Everett Huffman won Metro Atlantic Freshman of the Year. He averaged 8.8 ppg, 6.0 apg, 1.5 spg.

Andres was our only player to make All Conference 1st team.

Huffman made 2nd team all conference.

Snow and Huffman made Metro Atlantic All Freshman team. Snow averaged 12.2 ppg and 1.3 apg.

Several BIG jobs are open. Boeheim and Roy williams both retired. Neither school has me anywhere on their short list.

North Carolina hires Nevada's coach. Syracuse hires Creighton's coach.

However, I do have many mid-major programs pursuing me. Misouri State is very interested. However, their 3 best players are leaving and I don't see the MVC being a huge upgrade from the MAAC.

Niagara just extended my deal for 3 more years and I decide to pass on this offer as it just doesn't offer anything that I want.

None of the other offers appeal to me either and I decide to stay put for another year even though I know this could be a rebuilding year.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #254
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Week 1 of Recruiting:

As expecting, Deshaun Simon signed with me on the first day of recruiting. He will give us a big body in the middle that we haven't had the last 2 years. Our staff also thinks he has the potential to become a skilled player.

We are still in the hunt for SG Donny Grove, but we are far behind #1 choice Michigan State. If we steal him, I'll be VERY happy I stayed here. This kid would be a superstar scorer in the MAAC.

We are Friedrich Collins first choice. He is a bit small for a SF, but I love his shooting touch on the tape.

At the end of week 1, Michigan State finally offers Grove a scholarship. He accepts immediately

Oh well. At least, Friedrich was very happy with his visit to the campus. He'll probably sign in the next week or so.

I decide to use Grove's scholarship slot to go after another big name, although one I haven't seen. Nate Graves is a star guard from California who is currently only considering UNLV and Florida but is reportedly unhappy with both. I decide to see if he I can persuade the 4 star SG who still doesn't have a scholarship offer from either school.

Week 2:

Friedrich Collins signs his LOI with us. He is 6'4 220 and is a great midrange shooter. He is a 3 star player who is ranked 340th overall and 64th among SF's. He is also very fast for a SF.

Week 3:

The battle for Graves is heating up which is bad news for us. Now, Kansas and Tulsa are interested. However, we are the only team to offer him a schoalarship so far and he has us moving up his list rapidly...

Week 4 of recruiting:

We are still the only team to offer Graves a scholarship. He is a 4 star player. He is a bit small at SG at 6'3 179, but he is a scorer on tape and he put 15 per game at the ABL. He also has high potential. He is ranked 58th overall in his class and 24th among SG's. We are now #1 on his list! KU is a close 2nd. I think if they don't offer him a scholarship by this week, we'll get him to sign this upcoming weekend....

Week 5 of recruiting:

We got Nate Graves!!! His ranking is about the same as Andres was! Hopefully, he can be a big time scorer for us. That is my first 4 star recruit

An overview of the class based on rankings before they get to school:

SG Nate Graves 4 stars, 6'3 179 from Apple Valley, CA. Ranked 58 overall, 24th among SG's. ABL Stats: 15ppg, 6.2 rpg, 4.4 apg, 2.6 spg, 1.2 bpg.

SF Friedrich Collins 3 stars, 6'4 219 from Toronto, Canda. Ranked 340 overall, 64th among SF's. Didn't play in the ABL.

SF Reyshawn Ortiz, 3 stars, 6'5 184 from Fort Wayne, Indiana. Ranked 367 overall and 73rd among SF's. 8.1ppg, 5.9 rpg in the ABL.

C Jerome Adams 3 stars, 6'9 228 from Brooklyn, NY. Ranked 404th overall, 21st among centers. 8.3 ppg, 6.3 rpg, and 1.5 bpg in the ABL. Will probably play PF for us.

C Deshaun Simon 2 stars, 7'0 277 from Winston-Salem, NC. Ranked 486th, 27th among centers. 8.0 ppg, 6.0 rpg, and 1.5 bpg in the ABL.

Not a bad rebuilding class

In the final week of recruiting, we'll start working on the local juniors for next year.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:46 PM   #255
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Our class ranked 39th in recruiting - not bad at all

Top 5 classes:

Kansas, UCLA, LSU, Duke, UNLV.

I don't adjust the schedule that our AD gives us at all, despite several tough games being on there, including at Memphis.

A look at the roster now that we actually have the kids on campus:

PG's:

Everett Huffman - Nice improvement in the offseason. Now rated 70 overall. Gained an inch in height - now 5'10 186. Still has excellent speed and solid defense.

J.B. Bridgewater - Rated 49 overall. Will never play.

SG's:

Nate Graves is everything we thought we saw on video. With the significantly diminished talent on this team (our overall team talent rating dropped from 81 at the end of last year to 75 now), he is the undisputed best player on this team. He is rated 75 overall. The bad news is that our staff doesn't think his potential is as great as initially forecast. However, he is already very fast for a SG with his size. He is now 6'4 185. He has very sticky hands and is a good ball defender. He is a good passer. He isn't a great shooter, but is a solid shooter who uses his athleticism to drive to the lane more than spot up and shoot.

Donte Snow is now rated 73 overall. He is 6'5 225 now. He is the best 3 point shooter on our team. Does everything else fairly well. Because of his weaker defense, he might be our bench offense again with Graves starting. Correction, there is no doubt Graves is starting.. the only question is whether Snow starts at SF or Collins starts at SF....

Ike Hendriks is 6'2 215 and is now a senior. He'll play backup PG. Decent backup. Rated 66 overall. Best attribute is speed and 3 point shooting.

Douglas Peciukas is rated 58 overall. Now a senior. Has good speed, but not much else. Won't see the floor much.

Laurie Beachem is a 6'5 205 pound SO walk-on who is rated 54 overall. Ok 3 point shooter. Won't see the floor much due to so many other deficiencies.

SF's:

Friedrich Collins is better than expected. He is 6'5 230 now. Great speed for his size with a very quick first step. Good dribling ability. Good defender. Great midrange shooter as expected. Only negative is that our staff doesn't expect him to get much better than this over the years. He is just decent from outside the arc.

Reyshawn Ortiz is only rated 67 overall, but our staff thinks he has better potential then Friedrich. He is already a better 3 point shooter which will assure him some playing time. He isn't as athletic or as good in any other area. He is a bit light as well at 6'5 186.

W.B. Meeking is rated 67 overall and might continue to see some duty as a backup SF who can occasionally hit the 3 when he is feeling it.

PF's:

Sergio Owensworth is now a senior and might get to start as a result. I'm undecided on this one. He is 6'8 235. He is ok at most aspects of the game but doesn't thrive in any area.

Jerome Adams is listed as a center but he is either starting at PF or playing off the bench there. He is 6'9 230. I think since this is a rebuilding year and I'm going to start at least 2, possibly 4 freshman, I might as well start him and let him build some chemistry... He is good post defender. He is a solid shot blocker. Not as good of a rebounder as I'd like. Decent midrange shooter for a big man. He is a bit slow.

Centers:

The best surprise of this class: Deshaun Simon can play well! He is rated 70 overall already which is better than Pait ever was With his size he should be a tough matchup for most of the centers in the Metro Atlantic. He is now 7'1 277. He is limited offensively but can certainly dunk it. He is a very good rebounder and should be in double digits most games. He is particularly good on the offensive boards. He is a good shot blocker. He has good mobility (better than Jerome Adams) and he is a very high energy hustle type guy. I love him.

Jerel Bogans is now a junior. He is rated 66 overall. He is 6'8 224. He'll play as our backup center. He is a good rebounder for his size.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:49 PM   #256
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

After I set my starting lineup, our overall talent rating rises to 78.

Our first game is at Northeastern in the Colonial. They are rated 74 in overall talent.

Our Starting 5:

PG Everett
SG Graves
SF Collins
PF Adams
C Simon

They have the advantage at SF with SR Tank Jimenez who is 6'8 230 pounds and is an all around good player. Their center is rated 74 overall but he is only 6'9 and 205 pounds. It will be interesting to see how Simon pushes him around. We have a talent and size advantage at every other starting position.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-22-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #257
rjolley
College Starter

Looks like Collins is so good, he can play SF and PF at the same time.

Is this the Dean Houston of College Hoops 2K8?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #258
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Crud. I accidently hit the wrong button and simulated the first game. I wasn't planning on simulating any games as I'm just going to play out every game since there aren't future versions of College Hoops coming out. The exception being if I feel I'm stuck in a lost season, I might start doing play 1, sim 1. Anyway, despite our talent advantage, our youth hurt us. We lost 67-54.

Everett led the starters with 15 points. Snow had 17 points off the bench in 29 minutes. Graves was 0 of 7 from the floor in his first start. Collings had 5 points and 5 boards. Simon was 1 of 5 for 3 points and 5 boards. I imagine that would have gone differently if I played. Oh well.

Our next game is the NIT Pre-Season Tourney. Our first opponent is St. John's. They are rated 82 in overall talent and have an advantage in talent at every position in the starting 5. Their center is massive as well at 7'3 288 pounds. Should be a good matchup. Their best player is SF Mario Brand who is 6'7 220. He is a great defender and a solid offensive player.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #259
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Looks like Collins is so good, he can play SF and PF at the same time.

Is this the Dean Houston of College Hoops 2K8?

Oops. I meant Adams as our starting PF. Editing that now

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-22-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:06 PM   #260
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Everett looks like our best scoring option early. No one else is hitting their shots. We are down 12-10 with 12 minutes to go as I start working the bench guys into the game, including Snow.

I miss the firepower that we used to have, particularly the dunking ability of Andres.

Down 21-14 at the 8 minute mark.

We are down 34-28 at the half.

Their SG, Mulholland, is working us right now. 12 points and 3 assists.

Everett leads our team in scoring with 6. Graves has 5 points and 3 assists. Simon has 4 points and 3 boards. Snow has 5 points in 12 minutes. Without the shooting of Andres and Santos, he is getting a huge amount of attention when he is on the floor.

We are down 53-39 with 10 minutes to go. Without the big bodies on the wing, our defense isn't nearly as good and they are hitting 3's well.

We never could close the gap. We lose 65-49.

Mulholland had 20 points, 3 assists, 3 boards, 2 steals, and a block to be the player of the game.

Graves led our scoring with 15 points. He also led our in assists with 3. He had 3 boards and a steal. He shot 6 of 10, 2 of 3, and 1 of 2.

Everett had 10 points, 2 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal, and 3 turnovers. He shot 3 of 12, 2 of 5, and 2 of 2.

Collins was 2 of 9 for 4 points including 0 of 5 from the arc.

Simon had 5 points and 12 boards.

Adams had 2 points, 4 boards, and an assist.

Snow finished with 5 points on 2 of 8 shooting.

Ortiz had 6 points in 15 minutes.

I think this is going to be a rough year.

Our next game is against UMass in the Pre-Season NIT. They have a huge talent advantage. I decide to sim that game.

We lose the game 85-60. Snow led us with 24 points on 9 of 19 shooting, 5 of 9 from the arc. No one else broke double digits.

I missed one other tough game on the schedule. Oregon at our place which is our next game. They are 2-0 and are ranked 9th in the media poll. They have a 92 overall team talent. They should blow us out, but I'll play it (and sim to the end if it gets to be too bad of a blowout) later today or more likely tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:45 AM   #261
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Oregon comes out early pressuring us, but Everett and Graves are handling that well. During most of the 1st half, they are killing us with the 3 ball.

Down at the 10 minute mark: 21-14.

At the 5 minute mark, Everett has helped lead a little run to close the gap, 28-24.

We go into the half, down 41-34.

In the 2nd half, we start Snow as he is our only player who can consistenly hit the 3. He heats up and is our main source of offense on a 12-0 run that gets us the lead.

It's back and forth for the next 12 minutes, but before he tires we have a 6 point led, 66-60 with 6 minutes to go.

Down the stretch, we work the clock and pound it into to Simon who has a size advantage on his man. When they double him, he kicks it out and we work it around for an open shot. However, they are hitting 3's and closing the gap.

1:40 to go and we are only 69-67.

Their SG, Brice Lewis with a 3 attempt, but Graves blocks it! We go the other way and Graves with the slam! 71-67.

The next possession their SF shoots right over Collins for a 3. 71-70.

We work the clock down to 5 seconds before Jerome shoots in the post. He is fouled. He makes 1 of 2.

They go for a quick 2, but Collins fouls their SF. He makes 1 of 2. 72-71, we lead with 45 seconds to go.

Snow back into the game for offense. He gets it on the wing, fakes a 3, beats his man and gets the layup. 74-71 with 12 seconds left.

They attempt a quick 3 that misses. They get the offensive board.. another 3. it rims out!!! We upset Oregon! Wow. After this terrible start, I wasn't expecting this win

Snow is the player of the game. 21 points, 3 boards, 4 assists, 3 steals, 2 turnovers. He shot 7 of 14, 3 of 4, and 4 of 5.

Everett had 9 points, 7 assists, 4 boards, 2 steals, and 4 turnovers. He shot 3 of 4, 1 of 1, and 2 of 5.

Graves had 11 points, 4 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal, and 1 block.

Collins with 2 points and 3 boards.

Adamas with 8 points and 5 boards.

Simon with 10 points, 4 boards, and 2 blocks.

Our next game is at Harvard. That should be a MUCH easier game. Their overall talent is 68.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-23-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:55 AM   #262
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

We are tied at 19 at the 10 minute mark. Graves has been on fire. His 3 is falling today and he has been unstoppable as a result. Of course, it might help that the guard covering him is 3 inches smaller and much slower.

However, our 3 defense is suffering again.

That is our main problem as we enter the half down 38-35.

We are allowing them to shoot 6 of 13 from the arc!

Davis, their SG, is the player of the half. He has 14 points and an assist. He is 4 of 6 from the arc.

Graves leads our team with 17 points and 2 boards. He is 5 of 7 from the arc and 5 of 10 overall.

Snow has 8 points in 8 minutes but will start the 2nd half as Collins isn't doing anything.

Down 53-51 with 10 minutes left and all of my starters besides Simon need to rest. He appears to be the best conditioned which is interesting.

The bad thing about Snow playing with the starters - our offense goes cold with the 2nd unit. We are down 60-53 with 6:30 to go when I have to force the starters back in early.

They are doubling Graves down the stretch.

Despite that, he hits a 3 and then a 14 footer to bring us back within 3. However, on our next possession, Everett misses the 3 that would have tied it. Only 1:14 left. They get a 3 to make it a 6 point game again. 66-60.

Graves is tired and he misses his next 2 3's. We have to foul after we fail to get the offensive board.

We lose 69-60.

The inconsistency of freshman. We manage to beat Oregon, but we lose to Harvard. It's going to be a long season

Slater is the player of the game. Their small center outhustled and outplayed Simon. He had 13 points, 12 boards, 4 assists, and a block.

Davis finished with 20 points on 8 of 14 shooting, 4 of 7 from the arc for them.

Graves led our team with 28 points, 8 boards, and 1 turnover. He shot 10 of 24, 6 of 11, and 2 of 2.

Everett had 5 points and 7 assists.

Collins had 2 points and a board.

Adamas had 4 points and 4 boards.

Simon had 2 points, 6 boards, 2 assists, and 3 blocks.

Snow had 11 points, 2 boards, and an assist.

Ortiz had 4 points and 2 boards.

Our next game is hosting Maryland-Baltimore County. They are rated 71 in overall talent and are a poor shooting team. It should be a very winnable game...
Old 03-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #263
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

We are up 8-5 at the 15 minute mark. I'm working on tweaking the rotations. We'll get Snow in this time at the 14 minute mark for Graves who burns energy quickly.

They start a run after that, and we are down 17-9 with 10 minutes to go when I get Graves back in. I'll play him and Snow alongside each other for the next few minutes.

We are down 19-15 with 5 minutes to go when Snow tires.

We go into halftime down 27-24.

We are 1 of 16 from the arc. Fortunately, they are 2 of 14.

We pulled within 1 when Laksa hit a 3 to make it 47-43. 5 minutes left.

That starts a 7-0 run that Snow ends with a 3. 51-46. 3:25 left.

They make a basket, but then Snow hits a 2, steals it, and hits a 3. 53-51!

We get a defensive stop and then on the other end after working it around, we get Everett an open shot at the top of the circle... he buries the 3! 54-53.

They miss a shot and then the putback. Simon gets the rebound.

Everett comes off a screen and drives into the lane drawing a foul. He hits both FT's. 56-53 lead. 1:21 left.

Everett with the steal, 3 on 1 breakaway.. he passes it to Graves who lays it in. 58-53.

They miss a 3, we work the clock down to 10. Everett to Graves.. he buries the 3!

Everett with a steal to finish it of. They foul, but this one is over.

We win the game 66-56.

Graves wins player of the game. 23 points. He shot 10 of 20, 2 of 7, and 1 of 2. No rebounds, assists, steals, or anything but points.

Everett had 10 points, 5 assists, and 4 steals. He shot 2 of 6, 1 of 3, and 5 of 6.

Collins had 0 points, 1 board, and 1 steal. He shot 0 of 5.

Adams had 4 points, 5 boards, and 3 assists.

Simon had 4 points, 13 boards, and 2 assists.

Snow had 15 points, 2 boards, and an assist. He shot 4 of 12, 3 of 9, and 4 of 5.

Ortiz had 7 points and 4 boards in only 10 minutes earning more PT over Collins who has looked like a bit of a bust early.

Now, we enter into the early recruit signing period as well as the first few conference games. I'm aiming VERY high on most of my recruits (I have 4 scholarships) and I don't expect any early recruits, but we'll see.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #264
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I get a surprise as Gus Walters tells me he is very close to signing with us..

Gus is a 3 star PG from Bloomington, IL. He is ranked 111th overall and 44th among PG's. He is only 5'9 159 but he has few weaknesses according to our scouts: They feel he is a solid shooter, a great passer, a great ball handler, a great defender, wth terrific athleticism, and very good potential. He'd provide our first quality backup PG in years as well as the eventual successor to Everett and he has surprised us by advancing us past Indiana State and Western Kentucky which haven't offered him Scholarships yet. He might sign with us this upcoming week. He averaged 9 ppg, 8.3 apg, and 1.9 spg in the ABL.

Whitney Cornette is also a bit of a surprise. He is a 6'8 225 pound PF (who I might play at SF) from Queens, NY. He is a 3 star player who ranked 164 overall and 26th among PF's. He is a guy who our scouts think has very good potential, is already a good shooter including the ability to shoot the 3, he is athletic with the ability to dunk, he is a good perimerter defender, and a decent passer. We are in a tight race for him with Marist and UConn is also considering him but they haven't offered a scholarship. We are in the lead, and there is a small chance he might sign early with us. He averaged 12.5 ppg, 6.4 rpg, and 2.1 bpg in the ABL.

The other 2 players we aimed even higher for.. 4 star T.J Hannan is a SF from Allentown, PA. He has told us we are his fall back option. His top choices are Syracuse, Rutgers, and UNC.

Finally, 5 star SG Sylvester Myers is from Toronto. Since we have the pipeline to Toronto, I'm taking a shot at him, but I know we have little chance to get him. That being said... we are currently in the lead for him!!! However, Pitt, Seteon Hall, and Syracuse are all in the running and he has told us there is no chance he will sign early. Therefore, I doubt I'll be able to land him when it is all said and done.

Our next game is at Canisus in the conference opener. They are 4-3 but they are less talented than we are. Their overall talent rating is 74. Their strength is senior center Jermaine Wierzba.

I'll play that later today or later this week.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-23-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #265
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

This may not be smart, but I'm playing a game slightly under the influence. I had a root canal today and I'm still feeling the aftermath of the oral sedation and pain killer, but I really want to get a game in and I've been sleeping most of the day.

Anyway, we'll start out playing them straight up but I'll double down on Wierzba if needed as the game progresses.

At the 13:40 mark, we are up 10-7 but Simon picks up his 2nd foul and we sit him.

It's a back and forth 1st half, but we go into halftime up 35-31.

We are winning the battle on the boards 16-11.

Graves is the player of the half: 11 points, 2 boards, and an assist. He has shot 3 of 11, 1 of 5, and 4 of 4.

Snow has 8 points, Everett and Collins each have 5.

The first 3 minutes of the 2nd half, we build a 9 point lead, but they quickly respond. At the 15 minute mark, we are up 42-40.

We rest Graves for a few minutes, but maintain the lead. 52-50 lead with 8 minutes to go.

His first possession back into the game, Graves hurts his ankle on a drive

We go down 57-56 with 4 minutes to go and we have a makeshift lineup on the floor as Everett and Snow are resting and Graves is still hurt.

With 2:45 to go, the medical staff clears Graves to come back into the game. He just has a sprained ankle. Everett also comes back into the game. We are down 59-58.

Graves with a steal, finds Everett on the break who lays it in! 60-59.

Graves with another steal! We slow it down and work the clock..

Finally, with 13 seconds left, Everett runs off a screen, penetrates in the lane.. collapsing coverage, he kicks it out to Graves who drills the 3! 63-59.

Collins with a foul on a steal attempt. They go to the line for 2 which they make.

They trap and press and force a turnover by Collins. They get the ball back with 1:34.

Liberty, their PG gets a good screen at the top of the key and uses the room to hit the 3. 64-63

They steal the ball from Adams in the post.. they come running the other way.. they slow it down. They miss a shot with 10 seconds left.

We get out on the break.. Graves drives into the lane and gets a tear drop shot to fall! 65-64. 28 seconds left.

They go down low to Wierzba, we collapse on him.. they kick it out.. work it around, and hit the 3 67-65. 5 seconds left.

We advance it past halfcourt and call timeout with 4 seconds left...

Inbound pass to Graves who comes off the pick, he drives into the lane and shoots the 12 footer.. it's no good but he was fouled! It's at their place, the arena is rocking and the pressure gets to him... he clangs the first one off the rim.

He intentionally misses the 2nd one, but we fail to get the offensive tip in. They get the ball and it's game over.

Wierzba was the player of the game. 20 points, 7 boards, 2 blocks. He shot 8 of 14, 1 of 1, and 3 of 4.

Graves led us with 19 points, 2 boards, and 1 steal. He shot 6 of 15, 3 of 7, and 4 of 6.

Everett had 7 points and 3 assists.

Colins had 7 points and 5 assists in his best game of the year.

Adamas had 0 points and 2 boards.

Simon had 8 points, 11 boards, 1 assist, 2 steals, and 2 blocks.

Snow had 10 points, 2 boards, and an assist.

We fall to 2-5. Our next game is at home vs a good Iona team that should challenge us. I'll play that tomorrow.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-28-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:29 AM   #266
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

We take an early lead 12-6 in the first 5 minutes against Iona.

Our offense continues to fire for the next 5 minutes. Up 24-20 at the 10 minute mark.

Our 2nd string offense hits a cold spell as Snow's shot if off. They take a 34-26 lead at the 5 minute mark.

We feed the ball more into Simon down the stretch and he keeps us in it. We go into halftime down 44-41.

Everett leads the team with 8 points. Simon has 7 and Collins has 7.

We are down 64-60 with 10 minutes to go as the defense has tightened up. Simon is our leading scorer with 12.

Their PG, Martinez, hits 2 3's to rebuild their lead to 10. We eventually close the gap, but never get closer than 4.

We lose 79-75.

Simon led the team with 16 points, 6 boards, and a block.

Graves was 3 of 10 on his bad ankle and only had 8 points.

Everett had 11 points and 8 assists.

Collins had 12 points, 7 boards, and 3 assists.

Adams had 4 points, 2 boards, and 2 blocks.

Snow had 3 points on 1 of 9 shooting.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #267
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

We are now 2-6, but we get some good news as the early signing period ends:

Gus Walters signs with us! The 3 star PG from Bloomington, IL is ranked 44th among PG's 111th overall. He is a 3 star player who is 5'9 159 pounds. Our staff love his potential, athleticism, defense, and passing abilities. He'll be a great bench contributor and eventual replacement for Everett.

We almost convinced Whitney Cornette to sign in the early period, but he has decided to wait. We are his #1 choice right now.

Our next game is at home vs 6-2 Colgate. They are less talented than we are with an overall rating of 72. They are a poor shooting team whose biggest strength is their interior play and rebounding.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #268
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

A solid start at both ends of the floor. We are up 9-1 5 minutes into the game.

Our shooting goes very cold as we don't hit any more shots for 9 minutes. Down 16-9 until we hit a 3 with 6 minutes to go.

A 5 point burst in the last 10 seconds after a 3 by Graves, a steal by Graves, and a 2 by Graves gives us a 25-20 lead at halftime.

Graves is the player of the half: 7 points, 2 boards, 1 turnover. He shot 3 of 8 in the first half.

Up 43-33 with 10 minutes to go as I rest my starters for a few minutes.

Our reserves lead a 10-0 run. 53-33 with 6:30 to go!

Great defense down the stretch. 63-38 win!

Simon is the player of the game. The big man had 15 points, 13 boards, 2 assists, and 2 blocks. He shot 6 of 10, 0 of 0, and 3 of 3.

Everett had 9 points, 3 boards, 3 assists, 3 steals, and 4 turnovers.

Graves had 14 points, 5 boards, 2 assists, and 2 turnovers. He shot 5 of 17.

Collins had 8 points and a board.

Adams had 6 points and 6 boards.

Snow had 3 points and 3 boards as he was 1 of 8 with 2 of his shots being blocked.

Our next game is against a UMass team that should destroy us. I decide to sim it. We lose the game 81-70. Worse yet, we lose 2 guys to injuries. Jerome Adams tears his ACL! His season is done and he may miss part of next year. Owensworth breaks his wrist and will miss 4-5 weeks. We are suddenly very thin inside.

Snow led the team in scoring with 14 points and 6 boards. Simon had 13 points and 7 boards. Graves had 10 points, 6 boards, and 3 assists.

We have 2 more non-conference games left. Our next one is at home vs a poor Cornell team. Even with the injuries, we are heavily favored against them.

As far as our new lineup, our coaches want us to go with an intesting mix, and I'm going to give it a try. 4 guards and a center - Collins will play PF with Snow starting at SF. We'll certainly be much faster than most teams..
Old 03-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #269
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

We start out very even with a 8-8 score at the 15 minute mark.

Around the 10 minute mark, the offenses go cold, but we have a 22-18 lead with 6:30 to go. Then we put together a run that gives us a 28-18 lead. However, they come back with a 10-0 run.

We go into halftime up 32-30.

Simon is the player of the half with 8 points, 5 boards, 2 assists, and 2 blocks.

Down 55-46 with 10 minutes to go, but a rested Simon is coming back into the game.

Down 65-55 with 5 minutes to go. This team just isn't playing well together right now.

A sudden burst with 1:16 to go to get us within 4, thanks to a 3 by Graves, but they respond with a 3.

Graves with another 3 to make it 68-64 with 59 seconds to go.

We get a quick steal.. set up the 3... Snow misses it!

We intentionally foul. They miss the FT's. Quick shot by Snow. He misses it but he was fouled.

He makes both FT's. 68-66. 37 seconds left.

We intentionally foul again. They miss the FT's!! They are a bad FT shooting team. With 20 seconds left, Everett breaks his man on a crossover and dribbles into the lane for a 12 footer! Tied game.

Our arena is going crazy.

With 1 second left, their SG hits a 3

We call a timeout.. get the ball to Graves for a deep 3.. he shoots, it rims in and out.

We lose 71-68. This is looking like it might be a lost year.

Naymick, their SG, was the player of the game. 23 points on 5 of 9 shooting from the arc.

Everett had 13 points and 4 assists.

Graves had 16 points, 4 boards, and 2 assists. He shot 6 of 11.

Snow had 5 points, 2 boards, and 2 assists. He shot 1 of 12. He just can't find any room for his shot.

Collins had 5 points and 2 boards.

Simon had 10 points, 10 boards, 3 assists, and 2 blocks.

Bogans had 2 points and 8 boards off the bench.

I sim our game at Memphis who is expected to blow us out. As expected, we lose 94-64. Snow led us in scoring with 14 points. Graves had 4 points, 6 boards, 2 assists, 4 steals, and 5 turnovers. He shot 2 of 9. Simon had 5 points and 4 boards in 15 minutes before fouling out.

We are now 3-9 heading into the heart of conference play. I hope we can pull it together and last year's tourney run brought enough good will to survive this disappointing season...

In recruiting news, the 5 star guard from Toronto amazingly has us as his #1 choice. However, Syracuse is in hard pursuit and I don't expect it to last.

Our next game is at home against a 6-6 Loyola team that is more talented than we are.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #270
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The first 10 minutes is track meet offense starring Graves who has 20 points already! When he's on, the kid is a scoring machine. However, he is exhausted 12 minutes into the game and we are down 26-24.

We are up 49-40 at the half. Our defense is terrible, but our offense is at least flowing with this high tempo attack.

Crosswhite, their PG is the player of the half. He has 12 points and 4 assists.

Graves has 20 points, 1 assist, and 1 board.

They start off the 2nd half with a 10-0 run and it turns into a blowout.

We lose 86-62.

I'm fighting the urge to sim past this season as it looks like it is going to be even rougher than I expected.

Crosswhite is the player of the game. 20 points, 5 assists, 2 boards. He shot 7 of 11, 6 of 7 from the arc.

Graves never got it going again, but he finished with 25 points, 4 boards, 2 assists, and 2 steals. He shot 7 of 16, 5 of 8, and 6 of 6.

Everett had 8 points and 3 assists.

Snow had 4 points on 2 of 10 shooting.

Collins had 8 points and 2 boards.

Simon had 5 points, 8 boards, and a block.

We are now 3-10. I am going to play 1, sim 1 for the rest of this season.

We play Canisus next who is slightly less talented than we are. We win 66-60. Simon led the team with 13 points, 15 boards, 1 steal, and 1 block.

Graves had 12 points, 6 steals, 3 boards, and 4 assists.

Everett had 11 points and 2 assists.

Snow had 6 points and 3 boards.

Collins had 10 points and 6 boards.

We are now 4-10.

Our next game is at 5-8 Marist. They have become a good team and are slightly more talented than we are. I'll play that later today or tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #271
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I decided to get another game in after all. It's time to stop trying to play M2M defense, as our defenders are too small. We'll switch it up to a few different zones and see how that goes.

Also, I'm installing a new offense as the motion offense isn't working well for this squad. We'll go with a more conventional attack down low and using the post to set things up for our guards.

The new defense is doing great so far. The 1-3-1 is forcing some turnovers, some bad shots, and we are capitalizing with easy transition baskets. More importantly, the traditional low post offense is working great as Collins is finding much more room to operate and so is Graves. Up 26-13 at the 10 minute mark.

Unfortunately, they quickly figure out the zone.. we go into halftime down 44-42.

Fuller, their center, is the player of the half. He has 11 points and 10 boards.

Graves has 16 points to lead our team.

At the 10 minute mark, we are down 59-55 and every starter but Simon needs rest.

After our starters leave, they go on a 14-0 run that continues even after we bring the starters back into the game.

We never can come back from the hole that creates. We lose the game 82-68.

Fuller, their massive center, was the player of the game with 22 points, 20 boards, 3 blocks, and a steal.

Graves led us with 27 points, 2 assists, 1 board, and 1 steal.

Everett had 5 points and 6 assists.

Snow had 16 points and 2 assists.

Collins had 6 points, 4 boards, 2 assists, and a block.

Simon had 7 points, 21 boards, 2 assists, and a block. Huge game for the big man.

Fairfield is better than us and we are playing at their place. They are 9-4. Despite that, we pull off the upset in a simmed game! 56-49 win. Everett led the team with 19 points and 4 assists. Graves had 5 points, 5 assists, 2 steals, and 2 blocks. Snow had 6 points and 7 boards. Simon had 8 points, 17 boards, and a block in the win.

Bad news on the recruiting front, Syracuse has offered Sylvester Myers, the 5 star guard from Toronto, a scholarship and he now lists them #1 on his list ahead of Niagara. I knew he was a LONG shot, but I was holding out hope...

Our next game is against 14-2 Siena which is a powerhouse team with the best overall rating in the conference, 84. We are at home, but I feel like we have little chance. I decide to sim it. We lose 68-59.

Snow led us with 22 points on 5 of 16 shooting. Graves had 6 points, 9 boards, 4 assists, 2 steals, and 2 blocks. Simon had 9 points, 8 boards, and 3 blocks.

Our next game is at home vs 9-7 Fairfield. I'll play that later tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-29-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #272
Galaxy
Coordinator

As a fellow Niagara grad, great job so far.

Seems like it's a rebuilding year. The talent you brought in looks like it has a lot of promise, but it just needs time to develop and get experience. A solid recruiting class this year should see the Eagles back to compete for MAAC championships and post-season dances in a year or two.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:37 PM   #273
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Thanks. I definitely think we have some talent. It's just rough going from being able to do anything we wanted with Andres and Santos to having to work for every basket. However, I do think Graves will be a great player by his senior year and this recruiting class is looking very promising even though we are probably going to lose out on that 5 star player. Part of me wants to sim through this season, just because I'm anxious to see this talent mature and meld with next year's class. However, I'm going to keep playing 1 and simming 1, going for a freshman of the year award for Graves.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:58 PM   #274
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Thanks. I definitely think we have some talent. It's just rough going from being able to do anything we wanted with Andres and Santos to having to work for every basket. However, I do think Graves will be a great player by his senior year and this recruiting class is looking very promising even though we are probably going to lose out on that 5 star player. Part of me wants to sim through this season, just because I'm anxious to see this talent mature and meld with next year's class. However, I'm going to keep playing 1 and simming 1, going for a freshman of the year award for Graves.

I know the lure of a bigger program is your goal, but I hope you can stick around two or three more years and grow with this team. Just keep the cross-town rivals (well, they are in Buffalo, but close enough; a 20-25 minute car ride away) Golden Griffins below us.

What's it like to be a Purple Eagle?

Last edited by Galaxy : 03-29-2008 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:36 PM   #275
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

It's cold.

Actually, I've visited the area before and really enjoy it. As far as this career, with that last class and the early looks of this incoming class, I won't be moving for another mid-major. The only way I'll move on is if I'm offered a major conference job.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:12 PM   #276
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

EF, seems like you really love playing this game.

Great dynasty as usual!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #277
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

With the UCLA-Xavier game becoming a blowout, it's time to get another game in before UNC-Louisville.

With the home crowd supporting us, I'm going to try to outrun and gun Fairfield.

We are down 16-14 at the 10 minute mark when all of my starters except Simon leave the game to rest.

At halftime, we are up 28-27 thanks to balanced scoring.

Graves has 9, Snow has 9, and Simon has 6.

Graves is the player of the half with 9 points, 2 assists, 1 board. He has shot 3 of 9 all of them 3 pointers.

The 1st minute of the 2nd half, Graves gets a 3rd on Aladi, their star center.

From the 16 to 12 minute mark, we go ice cold. They build a 44-35 lead.

Our subs can't close the gap and it ust gets worse. We fall behind 49-35.

That margin continues throughout the game. We lose 69-54.

Ubaka, their SG, was the player of the game with 14 points, 4 boards, and 3 assists.

Everett had 3 points, 2 boards, 7 assists, and 5 steals, along with 4 turnovers. He shot 1 of 8.

Graves had 17 points, 2 assists, 2 boards, and 2 steals, and a block. He shot 6 of 17.

Snow had 12 points on 4 of 14 shooting.

Simon had 7 points, 17 boards, 1 assist, and 2 blocks.

Collins had 2 points, 4 boards, and 2 steals.

Bad news on the recruiting front. A PF that would have been a huge player for us, Whitney Cornette, is now being pursued by UConn I don't like our chances against them. We came so close to getting him to sign early, too.

Our other scholarship offer, T.J. Hannan a 6'7 SF with skills is now favoring Rutgers over us

In our simulated game, we upset 13-6 Rider! We win 82-67! Snow led the way with 19 points and 3 assists. Simon had 12 points, 8 boards, and 2 blocks. Everett had 9 points, 3 assists, and a steal. Graves had 8 points, 8 boards, 6 assists, and 2 steals. Collins had 3 points and 6 boards.

Our next game is at 7-14 Iona. I'll play that later tonight.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:08 PM   #278
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
EF, seems like you really love playing this game.

Great dynasty as usual!

I do. Even with this horrid losing spell, I'm having a blast. This game is an all-time great post-patch for me.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:03 PM   #279
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
It's cold.

Actually, I've visited the area before and really enjoy it. As far as this career, with that last class and the early looks of this incoming class, I won't be moving for another mid-major. The only way I'll move on is if I'm offered a major conference job.

It's not a bad area to visit. I kind of can't wait to relocate however (hopefully by the end of the year) out of the Northeast.

What do you consider a "major conference"? I've heard that it takes one more step to reach a power conference on your current path. Of course, the MAAC might be high enough in prestige to overcome in that. Just bleed purple (of course, the purple could be too much for some). Your success into minding the recruiting fields of Canada seem to reflect the large percentage of Canadian students, and even some of the professors, that the school has.

Last edited by Galaxy : 03-29-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:06 PM   #280
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
It's not a bad area to visit. I kind of can't wait to relocate however (hopefully by the end of the year) out of the Northeast.

What do you consider a "major conference"? I've heard that it takes one more step to reach a power conference on your current path. Of course, the MAAC might be high enough in prestige to overcome in that. Just bleed purple (of course, the purple could be too much for some).

Obviously any of the classic power conferences. I'll also consider any conferences that are rated 10th or higher in the in-game power ratings.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:56 PM   #281
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Iona is one of the few teams weaker than us in overall rating. We are favored even on the road.

Not a good start as we are down 20-10 at the 10 minute mark.

At halftime, we are down 37-22.

Collins leads our team with 8 points. Cassler, their star SF, has 14 points, 5 boards, and 2 assists.

We get down early in the 2nd half by 20 and we never close the gap. 74-55 loss.

Cassler led them with 33 points and 9 boards. The 6'9 250 pound SF was just too much for us to handle.

Collins led my team with 15 points.

Simon had 12 boards along with 2 points.

Everett had 6 points and 4 assists.

Graves had 10 points on 3 of 14 shooting.

Snow had 9 points on 2 of 11 shooting.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:04 PM   #282
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Feb 1, 2014 -

We lose our simulated gaime to Saint Peter's 82-58. They advance to 13-8.

Snow led our team with 20 points and 3 boards.

Graves had 6 points, 4 boards, 7 assists, 2 steals, and 2 blocks.

Everett had 8 points and 2 assists.

Collins with 7 points and 3 boards.

Simon with 8 points, 3 boards, and 2 blocks.

Our next two games is against the worst team in the conference, Manhattan. We play them at home first. I'll play that tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:52 AM   #283
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Owensworth is back from his broken bone and will start at PF for us moving Collins back to SF and Snow back to the bench where he seems to thrive.

We are up 15-13 at the 10 minute mark, and our superior athleticism is starting to show.

A 10-0 run with Graves and Everett on the bench has us up 25-13! Snow does so much better against 2nd stringers coming off the bench.

Finally, our team is performing. Graves tops off a great half with a steal at the end of the half followed by a smooth breakaway dunk. 41-21.

Graves is the player of the half. He has 13 points, 2 boards, 1 assist, 1 steal, and 1 turnover.

Snow has 11 and Everett has 5 at the half.

12 minutes left: They've closed within 12, but we are in the bonus thanks to Simon who has been great down low.

8 minutes left: Graves and Everett have helped make it a 59-41 lead. Now, we are going to our entire bench except for Simon who has been resting for the last 4 minutes and is ready to come back into the game.

4 minutes left: Up 69-47 with Simon in control of this game, but everyone is contributing. Everett and Graves aren't even going to come back into this one.

It feels very good to get a win in a game that I played out. Hopefully, this can be the start of a win streak to end the year, but this was the worst team in the conference. Then again, the fact that I got contributions from many different players encourages me..

We win it 82-53.

Snow is the player of the game. 19 points, 5 steals (the 1-3-1 finally worked really well for creating turnovers this game), 2 boards, and 2 assists. He shot 5 of 9, 2 of 5, and 7 of 8.

Everett had 7 points, 4 assists, 1 steal, and 5 turnovers.

Graves had 17 points, 2 boards, 2 assists, and 2 steals. He shot 5 of 16. I guess he is a bit worse as a shooter than I thought he was, but when he is on, he is great.

Collins with 3 points, 2 boards, and a steal.

Owensworth with 0 points, 5 boards, 1 assist, and 2 steals, as well as good defense.

Simon with 12 points, 14 boards, 2 assists, and a block.

Most surprisingly, Ortiz had 14 points, 2 boards, 1 steal, and a block. He shot 5 of 9, 2 of 3 (big surprise), and 2 of 2.

Bogans also added a nice game from the bench with 8 points, 7 boards, 3 steals, and 2 assists.

In the simulated game which is a rematch at their place, we also win, this time 75-66. Graves led the team in scoring with 15 points, 2 boards, 4 assists, and 2 steals. He was 9 of 10 from the line which was his primary source of scoring.

Owensworth had 14 points and 7 boards. Simon had 10 points and 9 boards. Snow had 10 points and 6 assists. Ortiz had 8 points and 6 boards in very limited minutes. That is a team that can't match us athletically.

Our next game is at Saint Peter's. They are 13-9 and are evenly matched with us in overall rating now that we have Owensworth back.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:07 PM   #284
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Graves was on fire early and everyone else is contributing. Up 21-13 at the 12 minute mark at which point Graves needs a breather.

I didn't change any settings between the horrible losing streak and now, but my team is playing like a different team. Collins drilling his midrange jumpers (finally), Snow is finally getting some decent looks and drilling his 3's, and our inside game is clicking. Maybe Owensworth's senior presence is helping stabilize the kids?

Or maybe I spoke too soon. A 12-0 run gives them a 36-33 lead with 6 minutes to go. I get Everett and Graves back into the game.

At halftime, we are down 50-43. They are shooting 3's in the weak spots of the zone defense. Channing, their SG, has 14 points, 3 boards, and 3 steals and is the player of the half.

Graves leads our team with 14 points. Collins has 9, Ortiz 8, Snow 6, Simon 4, and Owensworth 4.

With 11 mintues left and a close game 68-62, we are down, Simon hurts his ankle

2 minutes later he comes back into the game. We are now down 72-62. Our staff thinks he just has a slight sprain.

We are down by 12 with 6 minutes to go when Everett and Graves come back in. 77-65.

We get Graves a great look in the corner, but he misses the 3. They come down on the other end and drill a 3.

We execute offensively down the stretch, but our defense can't stop them. We lose 86-76. I'm still happy to see that our offense is finally showing up.

Jerrell Quick, their SR star SF, had 25 points, 5 boards, and 5 assists.

Graves led us with 22 points, 4 boards, 2 assists, 2 steals, and 2 turnovers. He shot 10 of 16, 1 of 5, and 1 of 2.

Everett had 0 points and 4 assists.

Collins ahd 13 points, 1 board, 3 assists, and 3 steals.

Owensworth had 6 points, 5 boards, 2 assists, and 2 steals.

Simon had 8 points, 12 boards, 5 assists, 2 steals, and 2 blocks. He shot 3 of 12.

Snow had 12 points and Ortiz had 14.

In our simulated game, we pull off the upset against a good Rider team. We beat them 65-62.

Everett led the team with 13 points and 4 assists.

Graves had 6 points, 4 boards, 6 assists, and 3 steals.

Collins had 4 points and 6 boards.

Owensworth had 12 points and 5 boards.

Simon had 11 points, 6 boards, and 2 blocks.

Snow had 11 points.

I have 3 games left in the regular season so I decide to sim the next one and then play the 2nd to last and sim the final game. The next game is against powerhouse Siena. They are 22-3 and the undisputed most powerful team in the conference. They beat us 68-61 at our place earlier in the year. Now, we are playing them at their place.

We lose to Siena 85-75.

Snow led the team in scoring with 17.

Everett had 13 points and 2 asssits.

Graves had 8 points, 5 boards, 3 assists, and 2 blocks.

Simon had 7 points and 10 boards. Meeking had 10 points.

We are now 9-17 and the AD is starting to become displeased. I don't think I'm in any danger of being fired this year, but we better turn it around next year.

Our next game is hosting Marist. They are 14-11. They are slightly more talented than we are, but they are one of the best shooting teams in the conference.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #285
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

18-18 at the 10 minute mark.

At the 5 minute mark: We are up 28-26.

Then, Everett and Graves start a 12-0 run. We go into halftime up 40-28.

Everett is the player of the half. He's hitting his midrange jumper finally, and it's opening up everything. He has 11 points and 2 assists. Graves also has 11 points.

We are faster than almost everyone and I haven't been running enough. This game, I'm telling our guys to constantly run. At the 12 minute mark, we are up 57-40.

With 10 minutes left, Everett hurts his knee

Our staff thinks it is just a slight sprain and that he can come back into the game if needed. Right now, Graves is playing the point and doing so well.

We are up 64-51 with 7 minutes to go.

It's 65-57 with 5 minutes to go. We get Everett back into the game.

During the next 4 minutes we go on a 12-0 run to finish it off. At the end of the run, Graves draws a foul and goes to the line. He hits both FT's (he is a great FT shooter) to give himself 30 points which is a new career high

We win the game 77-57.

Graves is the player of the game. 30 points, 5 boards, 2 assists, 2 steals, and a block. He shot 9 of 23, 7 of 15, and 5 of 5.

Everett had 14 points, 4 assists, 1 board, and 1 steal.

Collins had 11 points and 3 boards.

Owensworth who has made the 1-3-1 work with his length had 3 points, 9 boards, 3 assists, and 5 steals.

Simon had 8 points, 18 boards, 2 assists, and a career high 4 blocks.

Snow had 6 points. Bogans had 9 boards.

In our final regular game of the year, we surprise Loyola at their place, 69-59.

Everett led our team with 15 points and 6 assists. Graves had 14 points, 4 boards, and an assist. Snow had 13 points, 7 boards, and 3 assists.

We end the regular season with a 11-17 record and are currently 7th in the conference standings. That means we play a 1st round MAAC game against 10th seed Manhattan who we should be able to beat. In fact, I'm liking our chances to advance fairly far into the tourney. Our 2nd round opponent will be Saint Peter's. We aren't in the same bracket as Siena and won't have to play them until the Finals if they make it there. I'll start the tourney run either later today or later this week. My wife is going out of town for 4 days from Tuesday to Saturday with her mother to see her brother graduate basic training in Oklahoma, so I should get some time in this week.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-30-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:19 PM   #286
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Here is a list of conferences that I might consider moving to as a stepping stone to a power conference:

Atlantic 10 (actually a better rank right now in the game than the Big Ten), Conference USA, Mountain West (strong rating of 8th best conference.) Other than that, it has to be one of the power conferences to get me to leave this job.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:29 PM   #287
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Some stats from the MAAC:

Siena's center Johnny Lampley leads the league in scoring and is 2nd in rebounding at 23.9 ppg and 8.6 rpg. His 2.4 bpg is 2nd in the conference.

The 2nd leading scorer is only averaging 14.5 ppg.

Graves leads all freshman in the conference with 13.7 ppg. His 6 rpg is highest by a guard. Graves 1.7 spg leads all players in the conference. I think he has the conference freshman of the year wrapped up.

DeShaun Simon leads the league in rebounding at 9.9 per game.

Everett Huffman has dropped almost 3 assists per game with the departure of the 4 seniors around him. In fact, his stats this year are all lower than last year except for his shooting percentage which is slightly better at 38%.

Ira Starkey of Siena once again leads the league in assists at 5.4 per game.

Geoffrey Gates, a 6'7 PF for Marist leads the league in blocks with 2.4 per game.

Snow has the 3rd most attempted 3's in the conference. Trace Galbreath of Saint Peter's has the most with 167. Trace is only shooting 28% from the arc. Snow is shooting 32% from the arc.

Graves is 4th in 3 pointers attempted. He is shooting 36% which is 2nd highest among the top 10 attempters.

Charlie Walsh of Loyola leads the league in 3 point average among those attempting at least 100 on the year. He is shooting 41% from the arc.

Graves leads the league in FT shooting at 84%. Our staff believes he will become a 90% FT shooter in the future.

Other interesting tidbits from this season:

Our staff believes Snow has showed the most improvement this year, mostly in his defensive abilities.

Ortiz is the 2nd most improved player, mainly in his 3 point shooting.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-30-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:01 PM   #288
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Great dynasty, EF. I hadn't followed it for a while, but I started back at the beginning of the previous page and read about your final run with those seniors. Now I've just finished reading about your struggles with the freshmen. Good luck in the conference tournament. Maybe you can squeeze out the automatic bid and get your guys a little more experience.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:55 PM   #289
Galaxy
Coordinator

Have you given consideration to the idea of recruiting a JUCO player next season to come in and give you an impact player who can lead your these two recruiting classes.

Last edited by Galaxy : 03-30-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #290
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Time to play against Manhattan. Their best player is their point guard Luther Sood who isn't as fast or as skilled as Everett.

At the 15 minute mark: We are down 9-6. No one's shot is falling for us yet. All of our points are from the FT line.

The next 5 minutes both teams run a lot. We are down 20-19 at the 10 minute mark. At this point, we go to our bench except for Simon.

Simon scores our next 4 points to give us the 23-20 lead with 7:45 to go. But, they get the next 7 points to take the lead back.

Hendriks ends the run with a drive into the lane that draws a foul.

With 5 minutes to go: They have a 28-25 lead.

Graves hits a 3 at the buzzer to make it 35-32, they lead. We had a 8-0 run in the last 2 minutes of the half, highlighted by a huge Simon slam dunk on a putback and Graves' 3 at the buzzer.

Sood is the player of the half. Their PG has 8 points, 3 assists, and 1 board.

Simon leads the way for our team with 10 points, 8 boards, 1 assist, and 1 steal. Graves also had a good half despite shooting 2 of 8. He has 9 points, 1 board, 1 assist, and 1 block.

Again, our shooting is going cold. We are down 45-37 at the 15 minute mark.

Kragel, their 7'3 center, is scoring well against us as well. He puts in his 14th points to give them a 12 point lead with 12 minutes to go.

A minute later, he gets an offensive board and the putback to give them a 14 point lead. Snow can't get us out of our shooting funk and we are missing everything.

Snow misses another 3 attempt and they push the lead to 16 and then 18 on the next possession

Ortiz finally makes a cut to the basket and Hendriks passes it to him perfectly for an easy layup. 58-42.

Stefanov their SF hits 2 3's in a row to extend the lead to 64-42. I'm trying everyone and no one can hit a shot right now.

Simon finally hits another inside hook to end the run.

We close the gap slightly to 65-50 with 6:45 to go.

Graves comes back into the game fully rested and is scoring, but they are too. Porter, their backup SG hits a 3 to extend their lead back to 15.

With 4:40 to go, Graves drives into the lane, collides with their 7'3 center and hurts his knee

Our trainer tells us Graves is done. So are we. They go another run and we are down by 20 again. The kids just weren't ready for the pressure of the tournament

Sheesh their shooters are on fire, hitting 3's from all over.

We lose 89-66. A very disappointing ending to a disappointing year. I ust that Graves isn't hurt badly.

Kragel, their 7'3 center had 20 points, 13 boards, 3 blocks, and 2 assists to win player of the game.

Simon led our team with 18 points, 13 boards, 1 assist, 1 steal, and 2 blocks.

Graves had 15 points, 2 assists, 2 steals, and 2 boards. He shot 5 of 15.

Everett had 9 points, 3 assists, and 7 turnovers as they pressured him effectively.

Collins had 9 points.

Owensworth had 9 boards.

We end the year 11-18.

Now, to look at the NCAA Tournament and finish up the season.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-30-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:51 PM   #291
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Have you given consideration to the idea of recruiting a JUCO player next season to come in and give you an impact player who can lead your these two recruiting classes.

If I don't land on these 3 big recruits I'm going after all (and I have a bad feeling I'm going to miss on all 3) then a JUCO player or two is definitely in the plans.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #292
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Manhattan was crushed by Saint Peter's 79-45.

Saint Peter's advanced to the Finals where they were destroyed by Siena 107-68. Siena is ranked 19th in the Media Poll!

I wonder what seed they will get?

Interesting Bubble Teams: Michigan (23-8), Indiana (21-11), UCLA (18-15), and USC (20-12.)

Now the #1's:

Syracuse (30-2), Temple (28-3), Texas A&M (29-4), Florida (27-5)

Interesting East Matchups:

#8 Tennessee vs #9 West Virginia
#4 UNLV (not as dominant as last year, this time 24-7) vs #13 Creighton
#6 Dayton vs #11 Missouri
#3 UConn vs #14 Central Connecticut

UCLA is in the East as a #10 seed.
Maryland is the #2 seed in the East.

Interesting South Matchups:

#5 Siena vs #12 Troy. Not bad for the MAAC
#4 Texas vs #13 TXAM-CC
#7 Okalhoma vs #10 USC

Miami is the #2 seed in the South.

Intersting Midwest Games:

#8 LSU vs #9 Clemson
#4 Mississippi State vs #13 Butler
#7 California vs #10 Wisconsin

Louisville is the #2 seed in the Midwest

Interesting Matchups in the West:

#8 Washington vs #9 Vanderbilt
#6 Oregon vs #11 Michigan State
#3 Stanford vs #14 Davidson
#7 Xavier vs #10 Michigan

Duke is the #2 seed in the West.

Indiana was the most prominent bubble team to be left out.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:11 PM   #293
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The Sweet 16 Matchups:

East:

#1 Syracuse vs #5 Saint Joseph's
#3 UConn vs #7 Florida State

West:

#8 Washington which beat #1 Florida 76-75 vs #4 Georgia Tech
#6 Oregon vs #15 SD State which beat #2 Duke 77-72 in the opening game and then beat Xavier 68-64.

South:

#1 Temple vs #4 Texas
#2 Miami vs #6 Arizona

Midwest:

#1 Texas A&M vs #4 Mississippi State
#6 Nevada vs #7 California

In the East:

Syracuse beat Saint Joseph's 66-48.
UConn beat Florida State 84-81.

#1 Syracuse beat #3 UConn 84-53 to advance to the Final 4.

In the West:

Washington upset Georgia Tech 94-84.
Oregon ended the dream run by beating SD State 89-65.

#8 Washington beat #6 Oregon 102-76 to advance to the Final 4 where they will play Syracuse.

In the South:

Temple beat Texas 91-86.
Miami beat Arizona 89-83.

#2 Miami beat #1 Temple 79-77 to advance to the Final 4.

In the Midwest:

Mississippi State upset Texas A&M 85-77.
Nevada beat Cal 87-84.

#4 Mississippi State beat #6 Nevada 98-90 to advance to the Final 4. They will face Miami.

In the Final 4:

#1 Syracuse beat #8 Washington 83-66.
#4 Mississippi State beat #2 Miami 74-64.

In the National Championship

#4 Mississipi State beat Syracuse 84-78. Mississippi State was led by their senior center Arminus Hudson who had 32 points, 12 boards, and 3 blocks. They also got 15 points from their SG Erroyl Bean and 14 from their SF Chris Robins.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:21 PM   #294
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Clemson's Dinky Hooper was the player of the year. The 6'10 240 pound center averaged 22.6 ppg, 8.2 rpg, and 1.8 bpg.

Siena's Johnny Lampley was the Mid-Major Player of the Year. After the tournament his averaged raised to 23.5 ppg.

Syracuse's coach won Coach of the Year.

Barry Pleiness a PF from Florida won defensive player of the year. The junior averaged 1.9 bpg and 1.4 spg.

Hooper won Big Man of the Year.

Reynold Hull a 88 rated freshman(!) won Freshman of the Year for USC. The SG averaged 12.9 ppg, 5.3 rpg, and 3.4 apg.

The All American Team:

PG Wendell Meeking, Tem 19.4 ppg and 5.3 apg.
SG Michael Edwin, Mizz 20.8 ppg, 5.3 rpg.
SF Stephan Sommerville, Marq 19.8 ppg, 5.0 rpg.
PF Rudolph Gill, Miami 20.1 ppg, 6.4 rpg.
C Dinky Hooper, Clemson

Lampley made 2nd team All-American.

Wow. DeShaun Simon was named to the All-Freshman National Team! He finished with 7.7 ppg and 10 rpg.

He also won MAAC Freshman of the Year over Graves.

Graves was 2nd team all-MAAC.

Graves, Collins, and Simon were all First Team on the MAAC Freshman Team.

We lose two contribturos and two pieces of deadweight this year:

Graduating: Owensworth, Hendriks, Peclukas, and Brigewater.

Job Search:

Duke's Coach K has retired. I'm not even anywhere on the short list after that horrible season. LOL. They hire Belmont's Coach! Ironic.

I don't get offered any of the top jobs. The best job I get offered is Northern Iowa in the Missouri Valley. They are a team devoid of talent, and it is an easy decision to stay put.

I turn down 5 more jobs including UNO which was slightly tempting as they have a talented team and I have some affection for the team.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:25 PM   #295
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Unfortunately, we do not get any transfers.

Day 1 of Recruiting:

We get some GREAT news as well as some bad but expected news:

5 star Toronto based SG Sylvester Myles has signed with Syracuse, turning us down.

I thought we were going to lose Whitney Cornette to UConn, but they never offered him a scholarship and I guess he got tired of waiting! He signed with us! Whitney is a 3 star PF from Queens, NY. He is 6'8 222 pounds. He is ranked 164th overall and 26th among PF's. He is a player who isn't the most athletic, but he can bang inside and most importantly he can shoot. In fact, our staff believes he will become one of our top shooters. He has 3 point range as well as a good midrange shot. Our staff also believes he has a very high potential and good rebounding as well the potential to be a very good defender.

Other good news is that we didn't lose out on another PF that I wanted but didn't want to offer a scholarship until Sylvester turned his down. Alfonso Bowers is a 6'7 224 pound PF who is a VERY good 3 point shooter according to our scouts. He does everything else well and I could see him providing size for us at SF. We offer him our open scholarship right away now that Sylvester has turned us down.

The other good news is that I thought I was going to lose out on SF T.J Hannan who was considering Rutgers, but they have dropped their pursuit of him and we are now his #1 choice again!

At the end of week 1, Alfonso Bowers signs with us! The complete rundown: 6'7 222 pounds. He is a 3 star PF from St. Louis, MO. He is ranked 317 overall and 44th among PF's. Our staff likes his potential and loves his 3 point shooting. He has decent athleticism and could play SF. I see him as a potential Santos type of player! We got a lot of good smaller players last year. Now, we are adding some size this year.

One scholarship left open at the end of week 1.

T.J. Hannan is close to signing with us. He'll be the prize recruit of this class. I'll recap him completely if he signs at the end of week 2...

We get Hannan at the end of week 2! T.J. is the highest ranked recruit in our class at 109th overall and 20th among SF's. He is 6'7 225 pounds. He is a 3 star player but is on the verge of 4 stars IMHO. Our staff believes he has the most potential of any player I've signed since I've been here and think he has true NBA potential. He has tremendous athleticism for a SF, he is a solid defender, and a good shooter, but his range needs work. They think that he won't be very talented coming in but that he should blossom quickly.

So, we've got 4 scholarships.

A quick summary of the class:

PG Gus Walters 111/44th. Excellent speed. 5'9 159 so a bit small. Averaged 8.9 ppg and 7.3 apg in the ABL. He is from Bloomington, IL.

SF T.J. Hannan 6'7 225. 109/20. Excellent strength. Didn't participate in the ABL, but our staff loves his potential. He is from Allentown, PA.

PF Whitney Cornette 6'8 222. 164/26. Excellent shooter, quick hands. Excellent potential. Averaged 12.5 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 2.1 bpg in the ABL. Shot 36% from the arc in the ABL. He is from Queens, NY.

PF Alfonso Bowers. 6'7 222. 317/44. 3 point specialist who can develop in other areas. Excellent potential. Didn't play in the ABL. He is from St. Louis, MO.

With all of our scholarships filled, I get to work on the juniors. There are several great local JR's I've been working on for months, but most of them have 10 or more schools interested in them.

I also keep working on one SG who I think might walk on at Niagara. He is a solid 3 star SG who isn't a good shooter, but is a good defender. No one seems to be recruiting him, and he likes us, so I continue to pursue him.

Raitis Garrett is his name and he is from San Marcos, TX.

The top 5 Recruiting Classes:

1. Michigan State.
2. Louisville
3. Kansas
4. Stanford
5. Arizona

Siena had an amazing class in the MAAC. They got 1 4 star and 6 3 star players!

We had the next best class in the MAAC.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #296
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

Duke's Coach K has retired. I'm not even anywhere on the short list after that horrible season. LOL. They hire Belmont's Coach! Ironic.

I don't get offered any of the top jobs. The best job I get offered is Northern Iowa in the Missouri Valley. They are a team devoid of talent, and it is an easy decision to stay put.

I turn down 5 more jobs including UNO which was slightly tempting as they have a talented team and I have some affection for the team.

Duke hired the head coach from Belmont?

Last edited by Galaxy : 03-30-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:51 PM   #297
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

A look at our roster after fall training:

PG

Everett Huffman: He's added another 7-8 pounds. Now 5'10 193, but still has his great quickness. Now a junior, he's really improved his ball handling and 3 point shooting. Rated 72 overall.

Gus Walters: The true freshman will push Everett. He's 5'10 now, but only 159 pounds. Still, he's lightning quick with better moves than Everett. However, he isn't as good of a shooter. He is a better defender. We finally have a quality backup PG who I'll feel good about turning the team over to in 2 years. Rated 71 overall.

SG's:

Graves has worked on his game during the offseason. He didn't improve much, but he has become a slightly better shooter. Now rated 76. He's put on a bit of weight, now 6'4 193 and a sophomore.

Snow is 6'5 235 and has become a better shooter. Still not very athletic but his shooting has him up to a 76 in overall rating. If he didn't have such a bad release point, he'd be a dominant scorer I think. Now a junior.

Laurie Beachem is 6'5 215. Rated 55 overall. Will never see the court.

SF's:

Friedrich Collins has improved the most during the offseason. He's become an extremely good midrange shooter, but I think he suffers too much when a defender is near him. However, he'll hit the open 12-16 footer. He's also very quick for a SF, particularly for his size as he is now 6'5 235. Rated 74 overall. Now a sophomore.

I'm tempted to list Cornette here, but I won't for now as I'm thinking he might start at PF with Adams being something of a bust last year, not to mention T.J Hannan and Ortiz will be pressing for time...

T.J. Hannan is 6'8 228 now. The best news of all.. even after making it to campus our staff LOVES the potential of this true freshman and thinks he could be an NBA talent! Right now, he doesn't do anything great, but he is solid in most areas. He can hit the open 3, jump shot. He is a solid defender and solid rebounder. Rated 70 overall, so he needs to really grow if our staff is going to be right.

Reyshawn Ortiz is 6'5 185 and showed a lot of hustle last year. Unfortunately, he didn't improve much during the offseason. He's a solid contributor who doesn't thrive in any area. Rated 69 overall. Now a sophomore.

W.B. Meeking was a lost man last year and I feel bad about that. He can bury the open 3 on occasion. He's now a senior and might get some PT as a result. Rated 67 overall.

Branden Jenkins is a 2 star SF who walked onto the team. He's rated 53 overall and has a long way to go. I'm not sure why he chose us to walk-on as I hardly recruited him, only calling him a few times as a backup plan. He is 6'7 200 pounds and I liked his height.

PF's:

Whitney Cornette will start at PF unless I decide he fits in more at SF. He is 6'9 225 pounds now. Our staff has soured on his potential a bit, but they think he'll be a solid player. As it is, he is already a great finisher around the rim and a decent midrange-long range shooter. He is also a shot blocker which is nice. Rated 73 overall.

Alsfonso Bowers is a bit of a disappointment, but I knew he was primarily a 3 point specialist. He doesn't do much else well although he can block shots fairly well. He is 6'7 233 pounds. He is rated 66 overall. He doesn't have the speed to play SF, so he will play backup PF.

C's:

DeShaun Simon hit the Buffet Circuit during the offseason. He gained 15 pounds and is now 7'1 292. However, he also worked on his game. He's still not a consistent inside scorer, but he's improved. He's really working hard on his rebounding and now is rated as an excellent rebounder which combined with his size should continue to see him lead the league. Rated 71 overall. The sophomore should get lots of boards as we'll be running and gunning this year.

Jerome Adams is a sophomore who is recovered from his injury, but hasn't improved much. He's a player who doesn't excel in any area but is solid in most areas. He's now 6'10 230 and with his size will get time at backup center. He's rated 69 overall.

Jerel Bogans played a lot last year due to the injuries and I like him so he'll get some PT again this year. However, he is down on the depth chart. He is 6'8 226 and is now a senior. Has a decent midrange shot and is a good rebounder for his size. Rated 67 overall.

My staff wants to redshirt Bowers, but I'm not doing that. We might need his 3 point shooting since we struggled with cold spells last year and I think this team can compete for a title even though we are young.

My plan for the starting 5:

PG Everett
SG Graves
SF Hannan (While Collins is better, I think the best way to develop Hannan's potential is to play him. I also like his size on defense.)
PF Cornette
C Simon

Main Bench Contributors:

SG Snow
PG Walters
SF Collins

Depending upon the situation, Bowers or Bogans will get minutes at backup PF and Adams at backup center.

The rest will depend upon the situation. Sadly, as I make my plans, I realize that I'll have to put someone I like on the reserve list - Meeking will not play unless we have injuries.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:52 PM   #298
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Duke hired the head coach from Belmont?

Yes, I thought that was ironic considering this year's real life tourney.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:09 PM   #299
Ironhead
College Prospect

Much like Pumpy just catching up on this over the weekend. Your dedication to the dynasty is impressive and as always it is a good read. Best of luck in the coming season.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:13 PM   #300
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Some thoughts after a few practices:

I LOVE Hannan's shooting stroke. A pure shot style, reminds me of Andres. He doesn't have Andres' dunking ability or athleticism, but I think he could be an even better shooter if he really improves like our staff thinks he will.

There is no doubt that Bowers will get at least a few minutes in every game. At 6'7, he elevates well and is an excellent 3 point shooter. Probably the 2nd best on my team behind Snow.

I really wasn't planning on playing another game tonight, as I should get to bed in a bit, but I'm dying to try out the new team.

Our first opponent is Northeastern of the CAA. They are rated 75 in overall talent while we are rated 80 now.