Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #251
revrew
Team Chaplain

Year 5, WEEK 16: Minnesota (8-7, PR 50) at Chicago (13-2, PR 85)

Backups in where possible in this one, and QB Lamont Paulson puts up a solid performance, putting up a 95.2 QB rating, despite being leveled by 6 sacks. Rookie WR Leland Borders again leads the pack with 5 of 8 receiving.

But this was a game belonging to the defense, most especially LDE Fred Boyer, who came off the bench in limited action, but still led the team with 8 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 hurries and 2 knockdowns. Minny had no answer for the NFL sack leader. SB Dan Pretko added a pick, and backup FS Dave Rasmussen (He'd be starting for any other team in the league) batted down 3 passes without surrendering a single reception. The ViQueens moved the ball a bit, but it didn't matter much on the scoreboard as the Bears win their finale, 23-3.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #252
revrew
Team Chaplain

REGULAR SEASON RECAP

Rushing O: 19th
Passing O: 25th
Total O: 26th
Scoring: 6th

Turnover margin: 9th

Rushing D: 3rd
Passing D: 13th
Total D: 3rd
ScoringD: 1st

In addition, Bear opponents converted only 22.6 percent of their 3rd downs and 16 percent of their 4th downs, a combined #1 in the NFL by a wide margin. The Bears also gave up a grand total of 8 - count 'em 8, in 16 games - TDs in the red zone, also #1 in the NFL. Of course, opponents only got to the red zone 22 times all season, also #1 in the NFL. The Bears also led the NFL in sacks, with 55, and hurries, with 118.

QB
Fernando Windsor had almost as good a season as last year, completing 62% for 2992 yards, 18 TDs, 9 INTs and an 81.0 rating.

Rushing
Kelly Hayes is definitely slipping, only 529 yards and 6 TDs at a 3.60 clip.
Bucky Harris wasn't any better, with 497 yards and 6 TDs at a 3.50 clip.

Receiving
Leland Borders (R) led the team wth 74 catches, 557 yards and a TD
Tyrone Lee was more explosive in the slot, #2 in catches with 71 receptions, 848 yards and 5 TDs.

Blocking
RT Randal Almonte was hit and miss, leading the team in KRBs (25), pancakes (3), but also in sacks allowed (9).
FB stud Kris LeBlond led the team in BPct (43.8) by knocking down 7 KRBs in 16 opportunities.

Tackling
SLB Bucky Beaver (yes, that's his real name) led the team with 80 solo tackles.
MLB Dexter Lucas followed with 74.
SB Dan Pretko came in 3rd with 67.

Pass Rush
LDE Fred Boyer led the NFL with 19.5 sacks, led the NFL with 11 blocks, #2 in the NFL with 35 hurries, #1 in the NFL with 33 knockdowns, and #1 in the NFL with a 12.1 PRPct.
RDE Doug Conley was #4 in the NFL with 12 sacks, while also racking up 6 blocks, 29 hurries and 28 knockdowns.

Pass Defense
Dimeback CB Corwin Stocz led the team with 5 INTS.
SLB Bucky Beaver (Yes, that's his real name) led the team with 17 passes defensed.
SB Dan Pretko was close behind with 14 passes defensed.

Kicking
Winston Gunn led the NFL with 44 FGs with an 80% success rate. He also led the league in 40+ FGs with 18 (66.7%) and 50+ FGs with 9 (75%).

Punting
Jon Shonek was top 10 in the NFL with a 44.8 gross, top 10 with a 38.6 net, and #3 in the NFL with 45 pinned inside the 20. That's 45 of his total 96 punts.

Returns
CB Butch Garcia led the NFL with 689 PR yards at a 13.0 clip (#5) and a TD. Garcia was also #2 in the NFL with a 29-per on kick returns, but he didn't have nearly as many returns to gobble up yards.
Notably, both WR Dean Norwood and CB Dexter Craig averaged over 38 ! per kick return, but saw only 10 and 11 attempts, respectively.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #253
Andreh
n00b

Thanks.
Very instructive and enjoyable read.
This year wth a decent Kicker the ring is almost a certainty
Andreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:35 PM   #254
revrew
Team Chaplain

Whoa! New Orleans knocked off Green Bay (a team that sorely worried me), setting up the following semi-final matchup:

New Orleans (10-6, PR 81) at Chicago (14-2, PR 84)

The Saints a very well-rounded team, solid at every position, but especially in the running game behind a powerful O-line. Their defense is solid, as well, making this a tough matchup for us, especially without the services of RDE Doug Conley, MLB Dexter Lucas, and CB Barry Westbrook, all of whom are nursing injuries. And now ... the game:

Hello, offense! For no explicable reason I can come up with, our offense came alive in this one, starting with RB Kelly Hayes, who may have only had 12 carries, but ran at 5.42 per clip, giving us some big plays. This opened up the passing game, and QB Fernando Windsor completed 21 of 29 with a pair of TDs and a 110.8 rating. The first of those TDs came in the 1st quarter to rookie WR Leland Borders, who found a good time to grab only his second TD of the season.

The defense, however, was also in big play mode. Giving them up and taking them. The starters in this contest looked like they were on the Saints' payroll. Very little pass rush pressure, no INTs, and SLB Bucky Beaver (Yes, that's his real name) gave up 7 catches without breaking up a single pass. But a backup linebacker and backup CB pulled down INTs, and a pair of backups engineered the game's biggest and most critical play ...

Driving to 3rd down and inches on our 16-yard line, the Saints offense came out in a big package, and the Bears countered with a goalline set. The goalline D brings in an extra defensive tackle (in this case DT Timothy Emmons) and our rarely used WLB William Shedd.

At the snap, Saints QB James Cooper dives forward for the QB sneak, but Shedd read it all the way. The weakside backer crashed through the line, put a helmet on the ball, and knocked it loose! The ball is bouncing around in the backfield, it's batted, players dive to the turf, it squirts loose, and Timothy Emmons has just risen to his feet as the ball bounces practically into his hands. The big fella scoops it up and starts rumbling, he's bumbling, he's rollin', he's strollin', and he could ... go ... all ... the ... way! Touchdown! 84-yard fumble return for the score, denying the Saints a tying TD and putting the Bears up 21-7 at the half.

Then, with only 48 seconds left to go in the 4th, the Saints again drive to the Bears' lucky number 16 yardline, pushing for a TD that would give them the lead and likely win, only to see the pass tipped and veteran reserve dimeback CB Dominic Fulmer drop to his knees with an INT. Bench players FTW in this one. Bears win, 28-24.

Alas, we lose top threat WR Tyrone Lee for the season in this one, but we do get back DE Doug Conley for the next contest.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:05 PM   #255
revrew
Team Chaplain

NFC CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP: St. Louis (13-4, PR 67) at Chicago (15-2, PR 86)

The Bears beat the Rams, 26-3, earlier this season and knocked St. Louis out of the playoffs in the Conference semifinal last year by a score of 20-10. But the Rams are a better team this year than last, as young QB Bob Moates has another year under his belt. The good news is this team is beat up even as much as we are, especially at OT, where our bookend DEs will just be salivating at the chance to put Bob on his butt.

Now, on to the game ...

Let's break it down a little differently, because no stats are really going to explain what happened here. The Rams get the ball first and go 3-and-out. In fact, they go 3-and-out in all 4 of their 1st Quarter possessions and throw a pick on the second play of their first 2nd quarter possession. Quickly, the Bears are up 13-0, all entirely on the strength of our defense.

At the end of the second quarter, the Rams throw another INT, and the Bears are up 19-3 at the half.

Then, the day's unexpected hero, WR Dean Norwood takes the 2nd half kickoff 87 yards to the Rams 13, setting up a Bears touchdown pass to ... WR Dean Norwood.

Up now 26-3, the Bears are cruising.

QB Fernando Windsor finished the day with a pair of TDs and a 113.6 rating, and LDE Fred Boyer racks up 4 hurries and 4 knockdowns, but this was a game that really belonged to special teams.

Norwood returned 2 kicks for 103 yards, CB Butch Garcia returned 2 more kicks for 94 yards, and K Winston Gunn hit 5 of 6, including a 55-yarder, missing only a meaningless 50-yarder at the end of the game.

Bears move on to the Super Bowl with a surprisingly easy 36-13 victory.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:39 AM   #256
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Woot!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:56 AM   #257
revrew
Team Chaplain

SUPER BOWL!

Miami (12-6, PR 61) vs. Chicago (16-2, PR 86)

Miami rolls into the championship game on a tear, having beaten Green Bay 47-34, then moving onto the playoffs with a 37-9 victory over Kansas City and a 30-27 upset win over 15-2 Pittsburgh. The Dolphins can light up the scoreboard with the 92-rated QB Superstar Zach Eisenbaun. His 100 rating in sense rush means I expect the Dolphins are going to take away our biggest strength, the pass rush. Meanwhile, Miami is usually strong in pass defense, but their secondary has been ripped to shreds in terms of injuries. That's a break for us, as I figure we MUST put up points to beat these guys.

Now, on to the big game!

The game begins with a Bears 3 and out. Followed by the same from Miami. But WR Dean Norwood's solid kickoff return meant we were starting from better field position, and a Bears drive starts moving.

RB Kelly Hayes was a pathetic waste all day, racking up only 9 yards total on 10 carries. But backup RB Bucky Harris fares a little better, powering up the middle and helping to move the ball. Rookie WR Leland Borders isn't even a little bit phased by the big lights, and turns into Mr. Dependable, catching 9 of 10 on the day and helping move the chains. Over and over and over. That's one way to stop Eisenbaun: keep him off the field.

The drive ends in a TD, as QB Fernando Windsor runs the naked bootleg and takes it in himself. It was a mediocre day for Windsor on the whole, completing only 22 of 40 for a 68.8 rating.

But there ain't nothin' ... and I mean NOTHIN' mediocre about this defense! Sick and tired of hearing "Eisenbaun this" and "Eisenbaun that" all week long, the Monsters of the Midway came out to play!

In this case, the stats say it all:
RDE Doug Conley 2.5 sacks, 2 blocks, 3 hurries, 5 knockdowns. Eat that, Eisenbaun!
LDE Fred Boyer, another 2 blocks, 2 hurries and 4 knockdowns. Tasting bile yet, Eisenbaun?
CB Donny Meadows, 4 defensed passes. Boo-yah!
SB Dan Pretko, how about another 4 defensed passes?
CB Corwin Stocz, the dimeback, another 3 defensed passes.

Awfully tough to dominate the game when you're being mercilessly harrassed, and everything you throw is getting swatted out of the air, ain't it, Eisenbaun?

In fact, the league's premiere QB was a miserable 28 for 62 on the day. You read that right, less than 50% on his 62 passes. Gandalf FTW!

In the 4th quarter, Chicago leading by the incredibly improbable score of 10-3, the Dolphins begin driving, but get bottled up at the Bear 24 and try the 41-yard field goal.

Now, Conley already had 2.5 sacks on the day, 2 blocks, 3 hurries and 5 knockdowns. What else can a guy do to win the Super Bowl MVP trophy? Oh yeah, how about blocking a field goal!

The Bears move the ball down the field, kick their field goal instead, and go up 13-3 with only 3:27 left on the clock.

Props to Miami for engineering a late TD drive, but it's not enough! Bears don't need no stinking offense in this one, as DEFENSE REALLY CAN WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS (at least in SP) ... Bears win! Bears win! 13-10.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #258
revrew
Team Chaplain

Year-end awards:

Super Bowl MVP award goes to RDE Doug Conley
Defensive Player of the Year: LDE Fred Boyer
All-league First Team: K Winston Gunn and LDE Fred Boyer

Other players robbed of awards but undoubtedly playing in the ProBowl: RDE Doug Conley, SLB Bucky Beaver (Yes, that's his real name), and PR/KR Butch Garcia.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #259
Travis
Pro Rookie

Nicely done, that is a hell of a signature win in the title game. That must have been an enjoyable one to track and see the D doing exactly what you had designed it to against about as good of an opponent (to test that setup) for it as you could have faced.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:25 AM   #260
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Very cool. So, revrew, you've just won the Super Bowl with defense, what are you going to do now?

SI

Old 02-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #261
Andreh
n00b

win 3 in a row
Old 02-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #262
Travis
Pro Rookie

Yeah, have to test the sustainability of it now. One could have been a fluke
Old 02-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #263
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

We won't be satisfied until you've won 5 super bowls...in a row.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #264
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Yeah, have to test the sustainability of it now. One could have been a fluke

Seriously? With a new version of FOF out, I figured it's time to wrap up this dynasty.

I have a whole, glorious, marvelously written, engaging and witty "final post" on the future of all these players. It's gonna be a gem. Is there really any reason to write up more seasons?
Old 02-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #265
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
Seriously? With a new version of FOF out, I figured it's time to wrap up this dynasty.

I have a whole, glorious, marvelously written, engaging and witty "final post" on the future of all these players. It's gonna be a gem. Is there really any reason to write up more seasons?

I'll read either way and the big question is how much you're enjoying it. I'll always choose more seasons after enjoying this one so much, but if you're ready to move on to a new project, bring on the wrap up piece!

Aren't you a little curious if you could repeat though...
Old 02-18-2014, 03:01 PM   #266
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

In all seriousness, no. Wrap it up.

In no seriousness...FIVE MORE TROPHIES.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #267
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If you want to move on, you should move on. Finish with a blast and then head on to the next one

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-18-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #268
Andreh
n00b

Man I actually forgot that was with the old FOF.
Sure do what is more fun to you. If not for the new version I would push for more seasons. Maybe see if a Tyrion Lannister defense would work on a MP environment!
Old 02-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #269
revrew
Team Chaplain

SUNSETTING THE DYNASTY:

The goal of the dynasty having been achieved, we're going to bring things to a close now. I'm not going to take the time to keep writing a game-by-game analysis, especially now that a new version of FOF is out.

I can't, however, just leave it at that. I can't just create these fictitious little Xs and Os, give them names and personalities, and then leave them dangling like an unfinished game of tic-tac-toe chalked onto the sidewalk, the feet of time marching incessantly across their faces, slowly wiping away little traces of their names and accomplishments until only shadows of their former glory can be made out in the cracks of the graying concrete walk. No! Such a fate shall not befall our beloved Bears.

I can't just leave them - or my readers - like that.

So, I offer the following summary of the days and years that came after that epic, 13-10 Super Bowl victory:

QB Fernando Windsor never won another Super Bowl. The year after hoisting the Lombardi Trophy, Chicago barely eaked out a division title over the ascending Packers, who then beat the Bears in the NFC Championship Game on the power of their twin, elite WRs (rated 80 and 89). The Packers went on to win that Super Bowl and the next. Free agency, the salary cap and unexpected injuries then took a bite out of the Monsters of the Midway. Without a solid O-line, running game, or receivers to keep him off the turf, Windsor took some ferocious blows, suffered a concussion in his seventh year and eventually surrendered his starting position to an upcoming youngster. Windsor finished his career as a backup for the Denver Broncos. His win-loss percentage, however, remains the highest for any QB in Bear history.

Following the loss to the Packers, RB Kelly Hayes retired. He never regained his earlier form, and his career ended with a whimper.

FB Kris LeBlond, the gem of a player Chicago drafted in the 4th, later signed a fat contract in free agency with the Ravens. There he pushed a powerful run game and won all-pro honors twice.

Rookie WR Leland Borders, a 6th-round steal, continued to be Windsor's most reliable target, and he eventually learned to catch touchdowns, too. Never better than a #2 WR, however, he drifted around the league off and on starting rosters. Nonetheless, he did win another Super Bowl ring as a valuable reserve for the 2022 Miracle Lions.

K Winston Gunn finished his 14-year career with the Bears, finishing as the NFL's all-time leader in kicks made from beyond 50 yards. He was named an all-pro 6 times and is a now a legitimate candidate for the Hall of Fame, that is, if the Hall would induct kickers.

CB Barry Westbrook retired after the Bears' Super Bowl-winning season.

CB Dexter Craig retired the following year, but then joined the Bears coaching staff, where he eventually became the team's secondary coach and then defensive coordinator.

After another all-pro year following the Super Bowl, LDE Fred Boyer was badly injured in the Championship Game loss to the Packers. He returned from the injury a shell of his former self, and with renegotiation demands too high, he was let go after his contract expired. He retired two years later.

RDE Doug Conley remained with the Bears for the rest of his career, and though his overall play began to slide after Boyer's injury (and a few of his own), he remained a pass-rush threat for 13 productive years. He retired the Bears' all-time sack leader and was inducted into the team's hall of pride.

NT Jermaine Cassidy struggled to really establish himself at first, but the Bears stuck with him, and it paid off, big-time. Cassidy would later record 7 straight all-pro seasons, top 10 sacks twice, even from the NT position, and is considered a sure-fire Hall of Fame candidate. He retired nothing short of an iconic Bears legend.

MLB Dexter Lucas also remained with the Bears for the duration, and while his tackle totals never impressed as well as they did early in his career and he didn't rack up the accolades of his predecessors, his intelligent, run-stuffing play and blue-collar work ethic enabled him to join the list of legendary Bear middlebackers like Dick Butkus, Singletary and Urlacher. He was also inducted into the team's hall of pride.

CB Donny Meadows became a very expensive prospect after the Super Bowl win, and once his contract was up signed huge money to go play for the Eagles. While he played well for Philly, a knee injury ended his career just a tad early, and he never again played for a Super Bowl winner.

SS Marvin Schwartz also succumbed to injury, as he was probably just too small, frankly, to play as the second safetybacker in the Bears' 4-4 defense. His feisty, abandoned play, however, earned him the nickname Marvin "Rudy" Schwarz, and he became a real fan favorite, before a series of concussions forced him out of the game.

SB Dan Pretko was never really happy playing safetybacker in the 4-4, believing he was better suited to a more traditional safety role. His frustration became a bit of a distraction in the locker room, and he was eventually part of a blockbuster trade that sent him to Miami, where he joined forces with QB Zach Eisenbaun. Together they played in two Super Bowls, winning one. Nonetheless, Pretko's time in the 4-4 developed him into an excellent short-yardage cover man, and while in Miami was considered the game's premiere safety at defending slot receivers.

FS Dave Rasmussen, the 5th-round selection who seemed to blossom more and more each year, took over the starting role after the Super Bowl and became one of the Bears' biggest big-play guys. He could squash a receiver like a bug and starting racking up the INTs at a furious pace, became known around the league as a bit of a head-hunter. He also gave up a few too many big plays, and his frustration with the Green Bay receivers became a bit of a blight on what was otherwise an outstanding career.

Lastly, SLB Bucky Beaver (Yes, that's his real name) broke the bank in free agency, but the Bears opted to resign him nonetheless. He became the undisputed best cover LB in the NFL and was named all-pro 5 times. Later on, when his play began to slip, but his contract demands did not, Beaver signed a lucrative deal with the N.Y. Giants. As his illustrious career wound down, Beaver signed a one-day contract to retire as a Bear, saying, much to Chicago fans' delight, "I haven't always worn a Bear uniform, but this Beaver has always been a Monster of the Midway."

After retiring, Beaver also got into coaching, where his inspirational speeches have become legendary. After serving as defensive coordinator for the Super Bowl-winning San Diego Chargers, Bucky Beaver (Yes, that's his real name) got a gig coaching the Miami Dolphins, where the defense he's building seems to look strangely familiar ...
Old 02-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #270
britrock88
Pro Starter

Bucky's South Beach Gandalf!
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote