JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #2
JPhillips
General Manager

The spire just collapsed.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

Hard to place one's feelings about this into any reasonable context.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:11 PM   #4
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This is absolutely soul crushing. And to be a result of work restoring the building is every more shocking.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:20 PM   #5
spleen1015
Coordinator

Paris firefighters should use some flying water tankers.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:13 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Paris firefighters should use some flying water tankers.

News coverage noted that it was considered (as was trying to come up the Seine) but the weight of the water and the inability to keep it off the large crowd was cited as the reason they didn't try it.

(Yes, I facepalmed when I saw the Presidential tweet but it actually was an active consideration apparently)
Old 04-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

(as the son of a firefighter) EXCELLENT link.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #9
bronconick
College Starter

Firefighters don't think they can save the building
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:18 PM   #10
PilotMan
Head Coach

I don't have any real personal ties to its loss. It's a tragedy to lose no question. I remember doing a report on it in high school in French class, but like most catholic churches outside of the architecture there's nothing that pulls me to it. As long as there's no human loss, it's accidental, it's simply a loss. There have been numerous human tragedies that we've missed along the way. This is painful, but not nearly so painful that we should lose sleep over it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:25 PM   #11
JPhillips
General Manager

It's amazing to me how little of the scaffolding is even damaged.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:30 PM   #12
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I don't have any real personal ties to its loss. It's a tragedy to lose no question. I remember doing a report on it in high school in French class, but like most catholic churches outside of the architecture there's nothing that pulls me to it. As long as there's no human loss, it's accidental, it's simply a loss. There have been numerous human tragedies that we've missed along the way. This is painful, but not nearly so painful that we should lose sleep over it.

I'll be honest - it's hitting me kind of hard. I've only been there once (been to Paris 3 times though), but it was the summer I was 14 and was with my mom and uncle. It was my first international trip (European tour), and I remember being amazed at its beauty.

So yeah, significant memories tied up there.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #13
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

My wife and I will never see it...
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #14
molson
General Manager

Imagine being hired to renovate an iconic 700-year old cathedral but you burn it down instead...
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:43 PM   #15
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Horrible loss for world history and another embarrassment by our president who can do nothing right.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #16
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Imagine being hired to renovate an iconic 700-year old cathedral but you burn it down instead...

Seriously. What a colossal epic fail.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:02 PM   #17
PilotMan
Head Coach

Trump is elected, Notre Dame burns .. coincidence?

God had spoken, let the church of trump reign.

This is about as accurate as anything else he takes credit for, so why not?

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 04-15-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:11 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Horrible loss for world history and another embarrassment by our president who can do nothing right.

If you find it that notable, God help you.

Who am I kidding? If that bothered you that much, even God can't help you.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:40 PM   #19
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
If you find it that notable, God help you.

Who am I kidding? If that bothered you that much, even God can't help you.

I realize we have become desensitized to Trumps complete lack of respect to the office, but it doesn't change the fact that that was an embarrassing response from the supposed leader of the free world.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:02 PM   #20
tarcone
Coordinator

There goes my +10 happiness

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:18 PM   #21
MrBug708
Head Coach

During Holy Week too
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:29 PM   #22
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I realize we have become desensitized to Trumps complete lack of respect to the office, but it doesn't change the fact that that was an embarrassing response from the supposed leader of the free world.

I bet it was a white company that burned it down. Probably protestant. You know how those WASPs are. Nothing but trouble.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:31 PM   #23
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I'll be honest - it's hitting me kind of hard. I've only been there once (been to Paris 3 times though), but it was the summer I was 14 and was with my mom and uncle. It was my first international trip (European tour), and I remember being amazed at its beauty.

So yeah, significant memories tied up there.

I've visited 3 times, once went inside and enjoyed the "history". So sorry this happened.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:23 AM   #24
Butter
Coordinator

Just went last fall, and really enjoyed our visit there even though we didn't go to the bell towers. I'm too fat to be hiking those stairs.

Was very sad for the people of Paris that this happened, a beautiful city with beautiful people. Look forward to revisiting after it is rebuilt.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:08 AM   #25
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

I sense a Seth Rogen movie coming...
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #26
tarcone
Coordinator

Lots of bad blood with this Cathedral. Yellow vests want that $1 billion in donations. And I dont blame them. The catholics have plenty of money to restore it. They dont need the donations.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:23 PM   #27
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Lots of bad blood with this Cathedral. Yellow vests want that $1 billion in donations. And I dont blame them. The catholics have plenty of money to restore it. They dont need the donations.

Billion dollars weren't given for general use at the behest of the government, but specifcally for the restoration of the church. Doing otherwise would be a spit in the face of those who gave for that purpose. Seems to me a good reason to tell the yellow vests to go kick rocks on this one.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #28
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

I was actually at the cathedral when this started. We were inside about 30 minutes prior to that. Absolutely crazy to be in the midst of something like that.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:44 PM   #29
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The catholics have plenty of money to restore it. They dont need the donations.

Weird phrasing here.

'The Baptists have lots of money, why should you give to a rural Church in Iowa to rebuild? Lets the rich NY'ers cover it."
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:29 PM   #30
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
I was actually at the cathedral when this started. We were inside about 30 minutes prior to that. Absolutely crazy to be in the midst of something like that.

I'm glad you were able to go in and experience it.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:30 PM   #31
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Yellow vests want that $1 billion in donations. And I dont blame them.

The $1B won't be enough to make them happy. It'll never be enough.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:31 PM   #32
tarcone
Coordinator

Sorry. I hve a Catholic bias. But the Vatican coffers have Billions of dollars.
The point was that these people are donating money to an organization that is flush with money. Why not give it to someone who needs it?

Old 04-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #33
bhlloy
Coordinator

I dunno - to me there are some uncomfortable questions raised by this that are a bit more nuanced than "the catholic church should just pay for it". Given the number of people in extreme poverty in France I do think a healthy debate on whether this is the best thing to spend a billion dollars on is a valuable thing. And I fully respect the right of people to spend their hard earned money on whatever they want, and it's entirely possible these people are already giving billions of dollars to the kinds of causes I'd rather see the money spent on.

To me, there's even more uncomfortable questions about the media coverage and the outpouring of grief about what is essentially a building, where no lives were lost. Compare it to some of the coverage of Grenfell, where certain media outlets moved past the massive loss of life pretty quickly and on to focusing on some of the negative stories, or the general apathy that I've seen today regarding Sri Lanka, and it doesn't make me feel great to be honest.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #34
molson
General Manager

You can't really tell people what they're supposed to feel sad about and what's supposed to move them emotionally. I mean, you can, but, it's a weird and unfair thing to impose moral judgment on.

I donate money to a particular dog rescue organization I have a connection to. I suppose each of those dollars could be used to help starving children somewhere. Almost any dollar I spend or save could have been used for some arguably "better" purpose, based on someone else's values.

Anyone who criticizes others for what they choose to donate or spend their money on should at least offer a full accounting of their lifestyle and spending so we can judge them in turn. If someone donates every penny they don't need to keep them alive to help starving people, I will accept their judgment and happily admit they're a far better person than me. Everybody else though, I don't think is in any position to tell me how I'm supposed to connect with the world, what's supposed to move me to try to make a difference, etc. At an individual level, we're all lucky to have anything in our lives that we're willing to make time and money and emotional sacrifices for. That's a gift, not something to judge someone for.

Last edited by molson : 04-21-2019 at 03:43 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:07 PM   #35
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Sorry. I hve a Catholic bias. But the Vatican coffers have Billions of dollars.
The point was that these people are donating money to an organization that is flush with money. Why not give it to someone who needs it?

France owns the church, not the Catholic Church.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:35 PM   #36
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
France owns the church, not the Catholic Church.

Interesting. Thanks.

Do Catholic services happen there or is it strictly a monument now?

Old 04-21-2019, 06:43 PM   #37
bob
College Starter

The Catholic Church is allowed to operate the facility, but it is not a typical parish. If you ever go there, you will see it’s much more of a tourist / cultural site even if religious activities are going on there.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:46 PM   #38
21C
College Prospect

I think that a lot of the yellow vest protestors were concerned with the size of the tax deduction allowed for donations to the reconstruction. It is 75% for donations up to 1000 euros, 66% for private donations above this amount and 60% for corporate donations.

See this tweet from the French Prime Minister, Edouard Philippe.
Edouard Philippe on Twitter: "Nous avons opté pour un système incitatif qui s’adressera au plus grand nombre : les Français qui effectueront un don pour la reconstruction de #NotreDame bénéficieront d’une réduction majorée de leur impôt surÂ*le revenu, de 75% jusqu’Ã* 1000 euros et de 66% au-delÃ* de 1000 euros."

There was a suggestion made by a former French Culture Minister that the government should decree that the cathedral is a national treasure to allow for tax deductions of 90%.

The yellow vest movement believed that the government (and the people) would be on the hook for a large portion of the reconstruction especially after they had been initiating a lot of austerity measures that had caused the original protests.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:01 AM   #39
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Back in the states now and have a moment to upload some pics. As mentioned, we were in the Cathedral about 30 minutes before the fire started. We have pictures of the construction site on the side of the Cathedral on our camera, so I'll try and upload those later too.

We left the Cathedral, walked around the side where the fire started, then walked around a couple of blocks exploring the area. When we came back towards the Cathedral is where the pictures start (have some videos too which I'll try and upload). At first, I thought it was just a weird fog or something.

We were the first of about 20 people on this corner, and a Detroit news channel called me to interview me for their 10pm news (I went to HS with one of their producers).
Old 04-29-2019, 07:13 AM   #40
Butter
Coordinator

Thanks for the pics. What were you thinking after you saw it on fire after you had just been in there, and what was it like around the people there watching it?
Old 04-29-2019, 08:03 AM   #41
PilotMan
Head Coach

Wow, Mike, that had to be a surreal experience.

Like Steam?

Old 04-29-2019, 04:06 PM   #42
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Thanks for the pics. What were you thinking after you saw it on fire after you had just been in there, and what was it like around the people there watching it?

It was definitely surreal; it did not seem as if it could be possibly happening. I'll be honest too that I was a bit paranoid thinking back "Oh shit, did I knock over a candle?"

I found the pics on our camera of the side where the renovation was taking place--the place where the fire started. I scanned to see if there were any hints of smoke or fire, but nothing at that point in time. But 2 blocks later, bam.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:09 PM   #43
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post

As for the people, it seemed a lot of Parisians just went about their day. They'd look at it, and just continue on. Not all of them though, as many just stood. I was like most tourists and just took pictures, but also tried not to "photo-gawk" too as I didn't want to be disrespectful.

It was really upsetting to watch because I initially--once it started getting really bad and the fire trucks weren't there (they left initially reporting there was no fire then came back)--thought it was going to completely burn down. That was really upsetting, and I could honestly feel what is probably best described as survivor's guilt. "Why did I, of all people, get to see this at the last available moment?"

Last edited by Mike Lowe : 04-29-2019 at 04:10 PM.