Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-25-2005, 11:48 PM   #101
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Yeah it is truly an amazing show, I've recently finished watching seasons 1 and 2 on DVD, and of course I'm watching the season 3 reruns each week on HBO. Incredible show.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:36 PM   #102
Bad-example
College Starter

Actor and comedian Richard De Angelis, who played Baltimore police Col. Raymond Foerster on the HBO crime drama "The Wire," has died. He was 73.

De Angelis died of congestive heart failure Dec. 28 at his home in Silver Spring, said his son, Richard M. De Angelis. He also had complications from prostate cancer.

In addition to his recurring role on "The Wire," De Angelis appeared in "Homicide: The Movie" and the John Waters films "A Dirty Shame" and "Cecil B. Demented."

De Angelis also appeared in plays, TV commercials, radio spots and print advertisements in an acting career that spanned four decades. He performed standup comedy for many years under the name Ricky Roach.

Born in Boston, De Angelis served in the Navy during the Korean conflict and worked as an accountant for 14 years. At 38, he quit smoking, became a vegetarian and enrolled in acting school. He received a master's degree in 1983 from the University of Maryland's theater arts program.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 05:57 PM   #103
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Anyone have any idea when Season 3 is coming out on DVD? I missed the show the first time around on HBO, but picked up the DVDs after watching some of season 1 with friends, and I'm hooked. Just a great show.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:21 PM   #104
Bad-example
College Starter

According to Amazon, season 3 will be released on dvd on Aug 8.
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Old 06-04-2006, 06:46 PM   #105
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Thanks
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:24 PM   #106
QuikSand
lolzcat

I believe HBO is also re-airing Season 3 starting next week... presumably intending to wrap up the reruns as Season 4 is about to launch. I know Season 4 has completed shooting, and is in prodcution... so the timing works out right for that, too.

I can't wait.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:33 PM   #107
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
I can't wait.

What he said. Best TV show ever.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:33 AM   #108
John Galt
Pro Starter

I've been re-watching Season 1 on DVD lately. What a great show.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:00 AM   #109
Arctus
H.S. Freshman Team

You guys watching season 3 can look for me. I'm an extra in Episode 30: Straight and True.

I am the copy delivery guy talking to Stringer in the following scene. My wife is in the same scene, she's one of the people walking along the sidewalk behind us.

Quote:
As Stringer Bell departs Baltimore Community College and heads for his car, McNulty is there to observe him. Later, sitting in front of Bell's copy shop, McNulty is bored to death, so bored that he decides to pays Bell a visit and speak to him directly. "Ain't seen you round the way," he tells Bell, who responds that he's not "around the way no more," that he's doing real estate instead, and in fact, if McNulty is interested in a condo downtown, Bell would be only too glad to help him out.

Basically, its shot at a distance, through the eyes of McNulty, who is surveiling Stringer from across the street.

No, I'm not an actor. I'm a big fan of the show and a good friend of mine was one of the First Assistant Directors during season 3.
Arctus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:04 AM   #110
QuikSand
lolzcat

I have several friends who have had spot roles on the show... pretty cool.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:21 AM   #111
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Season 3 was a masterpiece. I can't wait for season 4.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:04 PM   #112
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I have watched all three seasons in chunks instead of waiting week to week. I find the shows that I really enjoy (Wire, Deadwood, Band Of Brothers, Entourage) I watch this way and the ones that I don't like so much (Sopranos, Curb Season 5) I watch week to week. I wonder if that is coincidence or not. Maybe I should give the Wire a month or two head start.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:24 AM   #113
Peregrine
Pro Starter

The Season 3 DVD set of The Wire comes out today. Just thought everyone would like a reminder so they can go out and buy it!

Last edited by Peregrine : 08-08-2006 at 05:24 AM.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:55 AM   #114
Logan
Head Coach

Ignoring some posts in this thread just in case of spoilers, so I apologize if someone asked a similar question...

First, as a follow-up to a post I made just over 3 years ago, I ended up waiting to catch season 1 on demand, and am glad I did. Loved it. Tried watching season 2 on demand right after, but only caught the first two episodes before I had to go back to school (where I didn't have on demand). It didn't really grab me. That's the last episode I saw, not counting some season 1 replays.

Fast forward to now, and season 2 is on demand again, but I don't know if I'll have the time to watch it all. And like I said, I didn't love what I saw the first time. Could I skip this season and catch up on it just by reading some episode guides? Or was it good enough/important enough to watch as I wait for season 3 (which I hear was awesome and more on par with s1)? Thanks.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:27 AM   #115
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think you need to watch it. Season 2 is my favorite season. I'm rewatching them on demand in prep for Season 4.

You want to watch them!
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:05 AM   #116
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I definitely would watch all the seasons, I loved all of them.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:38 AM   #117
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
Ignoring some posts in this thread just in case of spoilers, so I apologize if someone asked a similar question...

First, as a follow-up to a post I made just over 3 years ago, I ended up waiting to catch season 1 on demand, and am glad I did. Loved it. Tried watching season 2 on demand right after, but only caught the first two episodes before I had to go back to school (where I didn't have on demand). It didn't really grab me. That's the last episode I saw, not counting some season 1 replays.

Fast forward to now, and season 2 is on demand again, but I don't know if I'll have the time to watch it all. And like I said, I didn't love what I saw the first time. Could I skip this season and catch up on it just by reading some episode guides? Or was it good enough/important enough to watch as I wait for season 3 (which I hear was awesome and more on par with s1)? Thanks.
Watch all three seasons. If you don't your missing the best TV ever.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #118
Logan
Head Coach

3 votes out of 3, I'm off from work, and just finished taking care of what I had to do today.

Be back in a few hours.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:52 PM   #119
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:

Season two is gold.

Just like seasons one and three.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:57 PM   #120
Logan
Head Coach

Just watched episodes 1 and 2 of s2. Don't know what was wrong with me when I saw them the first time, but I'm right back into this. Glad I decided to watch, and hope to have the season done within a couple weeks. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:09 PM   #121
Logan
Head Coach

Through episode 6, and at the point where I have to slow down watching so I don't have to wait too long for season 3 to come on demand on 9/4. Fantastic. Anyone know when season 4 starts?
Old 08-10-2006, 07:19 PM   #122
spleen1015
Coordinator

This is why it is good to have the 360 to play. I have something to keep me from watching all of them in 2 nights. I watched the fourth episode of Season 2 last night.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:57 PM   #123
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Through episode 6, and at the point where I have to slow down watching so I don't have to wait too long for season 3 to come on demand on 9/4. Fantastic. Anyone know when season 4 starts?

Septemeber 10th.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:24 PM   #124
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Septemeber 10th.

So they're expecting me to watch a whole season in 6 days? Shit.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:55 PM   #125
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
So they're expecting me to watch a whole season in 6 days? Shit.

Take your time.. the new ones will immediately be on demand, and you'll have a few to watch back-to-back before you start following live on Sundays.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:08 PM   #126
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Take your time.. the new ones will immediately be on demand, and you'll have a few to watch back-to-back before you start following live on Sundays.

Good point, that could be done with this show. Not many of my friends watch it, as opposed to Sopranos or Entourage where I would be risking hearing something I didn't want to.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:18 PM   #127
Logan
Head Coach

Finished S2. Major thanks to those who told me to watch it. Best part is S3 is already on demand, so I should actually be able to watch a live Wire episode once S4 comes around.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:07 PM   #128
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Finished S2. Major thanks to those who told me to watch it. Best part is S3 is already on demand, so I should actually be able to watch a live Wire episode once S4 comes around.

boom.

"Omar comin'"
Old 08-22-2006, 08:43 PM   #129
Logan
Head Coach

Halfway thru S3. Love it. I know it's a local product, but when did the show become a walking billboard for Under Armour?
Old 08-26-2006, 05:13 PM   #130
Logan
Head Coach

Well season 3 is done. Now that I can finally go back and read this thread (something I've been looking forward to), I see that many feel the same way...this is easily the most complex, intriguing, and rewarding show on TV.

Like others have said, I love how nothing is dumbed down. I love how all the storylines don't have to finish (or finish the way you would want it to) at the season finale. I love how the writers don't feel the need to interject pointless storylines that serve no purpose to the show besides wasting time (hello David Chase).

It was awesome to be able to watch multiple episodes in a short period of time, and it will definitely be different watching it "live" like I'll now be doing for s4 but I can't wait.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:40 PM   #131
QuikSand
lolzcat

It looks like there are a couple of "catch up" espides, 30 minutes each, being aired this week -- my guess is they are to help remind us all how things were left after season three. I'll be recording them -- but they don't come up automatically if you have a TiVo season pass, FYI - you need to get them manually.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:17 PM   #132
Logan
Head Coach

I saw those when I was flipping around the other day. Pretty sure one was titled "The Wire: The Game" but don't remember the other. Obviously couldn't watch or check the info since I hadn't finished s3, but I'll have to keep an eye out for it now.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:25 AM   #133
Bad-example
College Starter

Those two 30 minute shows are also not On Demand yet.

Anyone have any comments on The Corner? I noticed that was On Demand this week but have only watched the first episode. It was a bit strange to see Lester Freamon as a druggie. This miniseries must have been the inspiration for The Wire. Not sure how or why I missed this when it aired originally but it looks interesting.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:00 AM   #134
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example
Those two 30 minute shows are also not On Demand yet.

Anyone have any comments on The Corner? I noticed that was On Demand this week but have only watched the first episode. It was a bit strange to see Lester Freamon as a druggie. This miniseries must have been the inspiration for The Wire. Not sure how or why I missed this when it aired originally but it looks interesting.

I wouldn't say that the Corner was the inspiration for the Wire, but more that the streets of Baltimore served as the inspiration for both. David Simon used to be a city beat reporter before he wrote Homicide: Life on the Street, which served as a platform for his move into television and production. But his most acclaimed work stil traces back to work on/from the streets of Baltimore.

I read The Corner and watched parts of the miniseries - it, too, was very captivating, not surprisingly.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:28 AM   #135
Logan
Head Coach

When did The Corner originally run on HBO?
Old 08-27-2006, 01:37 PM   #136
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
It looks like there are a couple of "catch up" espides, 30 minutes each, being aired this week -- my guess is they are to help remind us all how things were left after season three. I'll be recording them -- but they don't come up automatically if you have a TiVo season pass, FYI - you need to get them manually.

Looks like both mini episodes -- Connected and The Game -- will be on from 11:00pm to midnight tomorrow (Monday) on HBO2.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:06 AM   #137
Logan
Head Coach

And they're both On Demand now, if anyone's looking.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:01 PM   #138
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Both specials were very well done, intro to season 4, explanation of the themes behind the show, a little bit about how the show is written and produced, good stuff. Hopefully if you watched them and you weren't a fan of the Wire it might sway you to give it a shot.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:31 PM   #139
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

spoilers:

i just finished season 3. i liked 1 a lot, 2 didn't do much for me (couldn't care less about sabotka/ziggy, the greek mafia, or union corruption), but season three was stunningly good.

i only saw the eipsode about an hour ago, and it's still with me, when stringer and avon are on the penthouse balcony, talking about having made it, each knowing that they had done each other in . . . it's as good as the godfather ever was. powerful shit.

i can't even talk about stringer getting shot right now. maybe later.

that really should've ended the series. i don't know where they can go from here to make me care as much as i did about 3. who is left? marlo?
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:17 AM   #140
QuikSand
lolzcat

Season four is going to have a substantial focus on the Baltimore City schools -- presumably as a combination campaign issue and drug focus area. It sounds like a big transition, but recalling the way they managed to shift the show in season two to focus so much on the dockworkers and union setting, I don't see it as that much to overcome. I am totally on board, needless to say.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:29 AM   #141
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Season four is going to have a substantial focus on the Baltimore City schools -- presumably as a combination campaign issue and drug focus area. It sounds like a big transition, but recalling the way they managed to shift the show in season two to focus so much on the dockworkers and union setting, I don't see it as that much to overcome. I am totally on board, needless to say.

Same here. I loved season two, and I think it's nice to have a new story in the foreground while they (likely) continue some other stuff in the background... Marlo-related would be my guess. I think the season 2 haters are missing some great stuff.

While I admit the show would have wrapped up pretty much perfectly at the end of season 3, it's such a damn good show that even losing half a step would still make it the best show on TV.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:37 PM   #142
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I have to say that when the rumors came out about it being about education, I really wasn't sure how it would work out, but after seeing the Wire specials the other night where it talks a bit about how it will all play out, it looked really, really good. Not only do they tie it to previous seasons with characters we know as teachers, but they tie the kids they focus on into the drug game in some interesting ways, it looked like.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:41 PM   #143
Raven Hawk
College Starter

As far as where you can go from here, don't forget about Prop Joe and his side of town. It looks like Slim Charles will get a bigger part this season. I really like his character in the limited time he got last season.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:39 PM   #144
Logan
Head Coach

Wait a minute...hold on for a second...I'm watching one of the half hour updates...McNulty is a Brit?

Wow...didn't see that coming. Nice acting.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:35 PM   #145
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Wait a minute...hold on for a second...I'm watching one of the half hour updates...McNulty is a Brit?

Wow...didn't see that coming. Nice acting.

so is Idris Elba, who plays Stringer Bell. Blew my fucking mind the first time i heard him speak off-camera.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:30 AM   #146
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

i saw where davis simon was talking about the focus of season 4, he called it a preamble to the rest of the series. he also mentioned that the barksdale case was "closed out," so i assume this means that we won't be seeing much of avon and crew anymore.

interestingly he talked a bout having two ideas left to explore, and he wasn't really clear, but i took it to mean he wants a season 5.

also, having rewatched the episode where bell gets shot, i noticed that both bell and major colvin say the exact same thing before getting killed/fired. there is so much about this show like that to love, not just the realism and compelling storylines, but actual great writing. my favorite was mcnulty saying 'what the fuck did i do' after rejoining the major case squad in season 2.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:33 AM   #147
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Yeah I think they'll have a little bit of stuff about Bodie and Slim Charles on the street trying to figure out what to do, but not about Avon in prison or anything like that. Also, it will be interesting to see less of McNulty this season, he has anchored the show, I hope it will still be as good when he isn't on screen as much.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:16 AM   #148
spleen1015
Coordinator

Is there a Season 4 thread that I missed?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:33 AM   #149
Peregrine
Pro Starter

This thread has lasted us for three years, I think it can go another year.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:44 AM   #150
Miller Time
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yeah I think they'll have a little bit of stuff about Bodie and Slim Charles on the street trying to figure out what to do, but not about Avon in prison or anything like that. Also, it will be interesting to see less of McNulty this season, he has anchored the show, I hope it will still be as good when he isn't on screen as much.

I'm pretty sure I read over on the Wire's official message board that the actor playing Avon will not be returning this season.

It'll be odd having episodes without Avon and Stringer.

What a great show!!!
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote