Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-12-2006, 03:15 PM   #251
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think we can talk about the entire season now.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:06 PM   #252
Logan
Head Coach

I stole this from one of the blogs I referenced above...

...but picture the scene towards the beginning of the season (maybe even the first episode, it seems so long ago) where the 4 boys were trying to trap a pigeon under a box. And then see where they are now. Unreal, and yet totally believable based on what we saw.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:23 PM   #253
Barkeep49
Coordinator

We knew Carcetti had to fall at some point, but I was amazed at how quickly Norman turned on him. Just because he's fallen doesn't mean he's become Royce/et al.

Who'd have ever predicted that Namond would be the only one of the four to be saved? Dukie's amazingly quick fall was to me the most shocking. I suppose there is still hope for Randy, but I dunno.

The evolution of Carver from a near Hauk style hack to such good po lease surprised me but never seemed forced.

I guess those are my big comments though there's a million others beneath the surface. Ok one more: Does Dukie's descent into the drug life mean that Prez is going to lose hope? We see that despite his failure with Randy, Carver has not lost hope, and Bunny clearly has achieved something, but what of Prez?
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:58 PM   #254
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm afraid they might be done with Omar. I think he's a fantastic character, but I get the sense that he might be "retired" and out of the picture.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:46 PM   #255
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

if omar was going anywhere, him throwing his shotgun into the river at the end of last season would've been it for him, i'd think. he has to come back.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:59 PM   #256
Arctus
H.S. Freshman Team

I think Omar's going to return. The old guy that Omar gave the money to said something like "When you steal this much, its never over."

Last edited by Arctus : 12-12-2006 at 11:00 PM.
Arctus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:04 AM   #257
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I think Omar will return but I think there's a good chance he'll get killed next season, he's just stolen too much and made too many enemies now.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:50 AM   #258
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I thought the death of Bodie was really depressing. He'd finally come around to basically condeming the system he'd been a part of... even Poot references their killing of Wallace in an attempt to kind of give Bodie a perspective on things, but clearly he was finally believing that Marlo and company where a whole new breed - a theme that had been touched upon a couple different times during the course of the show. The perception vs. the reality of things.

The couple moments between Bodie and McNulty, kind of seeing each other as people rather than across a battle line felt pretty genuine to me. It was a total shame to see the way in which McNulty unwittingly contributed to his death. Really, it was one of my all time most depressing TV moments.

As far as predictability, I really think David Simon has made no secret of the fact that he views the show in a sort of classic sense. We all kind of figured some characters are doomed, we see them seemingly escaping that fate and then... oh no, wait... yes they are in fact doomed. Basically every character feels let down or that they at least partly failed. Carver's trust in a few others ends up screwing him in Regards to Randy. Prez is betrayed in relation to Randy and worst of all sees all that he's done for Duquan still come up short. But like the vice principal says, they'll be plenty more kids behind him who need Prez's help.

Depressing as hell, but utterly believable. In my opinion this show is the greatest piece or art produced in any medium.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:39 AM   #259
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
I had a chill when Omar looked out the window and said, "He's just a kid". I am wondering if Michael will end up killing Omar.

I still think there is a very good chance that this will happen. Since this post, Michael has become an assassin for Marlo, Omar has royally pissed off Marlo, and that ring Omar stole has come nearly full circle. I am usually wrong when I try predicting this show, but I feel pretty good about this time.

What about Herc? They showed him in the montage facing the music but was he getting his stripes taken away or getting fired? Maybe he will have a new job in private security next year, possibly with a media company? That would provide a bridge to the media like Prez becoming a teacher.

Namond might have escaped the streets (and his dragon lady mother) but is he truly out of it for good?
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:46 AM   #260
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I'm afraid they might be done with Omar. I think he's a fantastic character, but I get the sense that he might be "retired" and out of the picture.
I agree with those who think you're wrong Quik. There's too much Marlo/Omar business left unfinished for him to be done as a character. I hadn't considered the idea of Michael being the one to take Omar out but think that makes a lot of sense in the world of the Wire.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:09 AM   #261
Pyser
Pro Rookie

did michael kill bodie?

or was that someone else. ive read it both ways.

when i watched it i assumed it was michael, but then they made a pretty big deal about the corner hit later that michael did, and also went out of their way to say michaels first hit shouldnt be someone he knows...
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:26 AM   #262
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
did michael kill bodie?

or was that someone else. ive read it both ways.

when i watched it i assumed it was michael, but then they made a pretty big deal about the corner hit later that michael did, and also went out of their way to say michaels first hit shouldnt be someone he knows...

That was definitely someone else who killed Bodie.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:27 AM   #263
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
did michael kill bodie?

No. Chris and Snoop got into a gun fight with him. While he was occupied with them, one of the other dudes snuck up behind him and shot him in the head. It wasn't Michael.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:52 AM   #264
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
No. Chris and Snoop got into a gun fight with him. While he was occupied with them, one of the other dudes snuck up behind him and shot him in the head. It wasn't Michael.

I would characterize it slightly differently - I think it was a setup from the start, and that the shooter was in league with Chris and Snoop from the start. Not sure if we're on different pages there, but I certainly agree it wasn't Michael.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:01 PM   #265
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
I would characterize it slightly differently - I think it was a setup from the start, and that the shooter was in league with Chris and Snoop from the start. Not sure if we're on different pages there, but I certainly agree it wasn't Michael.

Oh yeah. Without a doubt. Chris and Snoop were drawing his attention away from the real shooter.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:59 PM   #266
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I got the impression from what Marlo was wearing in the truck later that he was the one who did the shooting on Bodie.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:08 PM   #267
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I got the impression from what Marlo was wearing in the truck later that he was the one who did the shooting on Bodie.

Reading the episode synopsis on HBO.com, the shooter was another Chris/Snoop trainie named O-Dog.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:35 PM   #268
atatange1
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Reading the episode synopsis on HBO.com, the shooter was another Chris/Snoop trainie named O-Dog.

Is O-Dog the same guy who saw Bodie go with McNulty? Because that's who I thought shot Bodie.
atatange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:52 PM   #269
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atatange1 View Post
Is O-Dog the same guy who saw Bodie go with McNulty? Because that's who I thought shot Bodie.

I believe so.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:34 PM   #270
Logan
Head Coach

By the way, when did the ring transfer from Omar to the cop? When he got arrested? Somehow I missed that until it all came around during this episode.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:48 AM   #271
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
By the way, when did the ring transfer from Omar to the cop? When he got arrested? Somehow I missed that until it all came around during this episode.
Correct. The corrupt cop took it from Omar and Michael took it from the corrupt cop.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:09 PM   #272
Logan
Head Coach

A little late, but Season 5 is being aired in 3 episode blocks starting tonight at 8pm-11pm on HBO2, and continuing each night.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:19 PM   #273
Logan
Head Coach

Quick comment...it's amazing how long ago these first episodes seem like. So much has gone on, I really thought some of this stuff was introduced in Season 3.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:01 PM   #274
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
And all of Herc's screw ups were set in motion by his seeing the (now former) mayor getting a bj and getting a seriously undeserved promotion.

Now that I've watched this again, I have to say that this is probably the one plot line (yes, in the entire series) that I don't think made sense. Is it really such a shock that a mayor would be getting blown by his secretary, to the point where he would have to take care of the guy who caught him so he wouldn't say anything about it? It's not like Herc witnessed Royce doing a line or beating on his wife.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:21 PM   #275
Landshark44
High School Varsity

"We knew Carcetti had to fall at some point, but I was amazed at how quickly Norman turned on him...."

I must have missed that part. When did Carcetti fall? When he didn't secure the money from Annapolis? How did Norman turn on him?

amazing show, best TV i have ever seen....

does anyone know when the final season will be aired?

this spring?, next fall....

Last edited by Landshark44 : 12-19-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:40 AM   #276
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Now that I've watched this again, I have to say that this is probably the one plot line (yes, in the entire series) that I don't think made sense. Is it really such a shock that a mayor would be getting blown by his secretary, to the point where he would have to take care of the guy who caught him so he wouldn't say anything about it? It's not like Herc witnessed Royce doing a line or beating on his wife.

Considering the hoopla over Clinton's famous bj, this plot line seemed fine to me.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:54 AM   #277
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark44 View Post
"We knew Carcetti had to fall at some point, but I was amazed at how quickly Norman turned on him...."

I must have missed that part. When did Carcetti fall? When he didn't secure the money from Annapolis? How did Norman turn on him?

Norman was pretty clearly disappointed in Carcetti when he turned down the money. I wouldn't say he "turned on him" but he was disillusioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark44 View Post
does anyone know when the final season will be aired?

this spring?, next fall....

http://members.aol.com/TheWireHBO/exclusive4-2.html

This interview with David Simon says he they are currently writing and he expects early 2008 or in spring 2008, "but nothing has been decided. We are writing now and will begin shooting the final season next spring".

Last edited by Bad-example : 12-20-2006 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:13 PM   #278
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Considering the hoopla over Clinton's famous bj, this plot line seemed fine to me.

Not to get off topic, but the only reason that was famous is because his BJ-giver's friend decided to tape discussions that they were having. I'm sure most of Clinton's aides and Secret Service personnel knew every girl that was blowing him, among other things. Hence my surprise with Royce's worrying about Herc ratting on him. Herc should be the one chauffeuring all his broads to him .
Old 12-20-2006, 05:16 PM   #279
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Norman was pretty clearly disappointed in Carcetti when he turned down the money. I wouldn't say he "turned on him" but he was disillusioned.

I think it was Goodman in his SF Gate blog that made a good point about Norman. He was always just involved in the campaigning of candidates, and not their administrations, so this is the first experience he's having with the real dark side of politics, beyond the mud-slinging.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:38 PM   #280
QuikSand
lolzcat

For what it's worth, The Wire received some very nice kudos in the year-end issue of Time. Joe Klein's column mentioned David Simon in very, very glowing light... and it was (separately, in another section of the mag) ranked as their #1 TV show of the year.

Awfully good mention for a criminally underappreciated show.

Last edited by QuikSand : 12-22-2006 at 05:24 AM.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:14 PM   #281
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check that out.

It really is absurd that this show isn't buried in awards.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:53 PM   #282
Logan
Head Coach

Today was the first official day of my vacation (through January 2nd), so since I'm the only person I know that's not working tomorrow, and because I won't be able to watch the HBO2 episodes tomorrow night, it's marathon time. Episodes 7-9 tonight until 11, and then the last 4 episodes on demand right after. Gonna be a long night

Last edited by Logan : 12-21-2006 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:55 AM   #283
primelord
Pro Rookie

Am I the only one who didn't know Snoop was a woman?
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:56 AM   #284
Logan
Head Coach

Yep.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:34 AM   #285
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
For what it's worth, The Wire received some very nice kudos in the year-end issue of Time. Joe Klein's column mentioned David Simon in very, very glowing light... and it was (separately, in another section of the mag) ranked as their #1 TV show of the year.

Awfully good mention for a criminally underappreciated show.

And Newsweek joins the fray... in their year-end CW arrow section, they gave The Wire a big thumbs up with some very high praise.

It's getting to be like a cult -- fortunately, people who have missed out so far can at least go out and buy/rent/steal the old episodes on DVD and get caught up on the preceding seasons.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:35 AM   #286
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I think The Wire could easily be a show that people would still watch in a few years and still be amazed about.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #287
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

It took me a couple of different viewings to figure it out but the Verizon commericial they have been running throught the BCS bowl games where the black dad with the deep voice talks about how his kids are hosing him with his cell phone bill. I believe that is Maryland's very own state senator Clay Davis! They need him to end the commerical with "Verizon? SHEEIIITT"
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:57 PM   #288
spleen1015
Coordinator

"No. Dad got hosed."

I love it. That dude was perfect for that commercial.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #289
Logan
Head Coach

Unreal...I swear I didn't see this thread first.

I've been wondering if it was the same guy ever since that commercial started running a few weeks ago, even going as far as looking at The Guy Who Plays Clay Davis' IMDB profile to see if there was a commercial credit listed.

That's what I get for failing to recognize the usefulness of FOFC.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:12 AM   #290
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
It took me a couple of different viewings to figure it out but the Verizon commericial they have been running throught the BCS bowl games where the black dad with the deep voice talks about how his kids are hosing him with his cell phone bill. I believe that is Maryland's very own state senator Clay Davis! They need him to end the commerical with "Verizon? SHEEIIITT"

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Would have sworn he was also the voice of cleveland from Family Guy but I guess not.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:28 PM   #291
Bad-example
College Starter

I noticed tonight that the episode one of The Wire is showing tonight at 9pm and 1am on BET. I had no idea they were going to show it on basic cable. I wonder how badly they will chop it up. Doubtful they will air it without a fair amount of editing for language and nudity and perhaps violence.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:06 AM   #292
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I noticed tonight that the episode one of The Wire is showing tonight at 9pm and 1am on BET. I had no idea they were going to show it on basic cable. I wonder how badly they will chop it up. Doubtful they will air it without a fair amount of editing for language and nudity and perhaps violence.

Caught a few minutes of it too (kind of funny that ep 1 of this was on at the same time the first Sopranos episode debuted on A&E).

I guess it's been 3 or so years since I've seen season 1...very weird to see a much younger looking Daniels and McNulty, even if it hasn't been very long. Daniels had some hair...didn't remember that at all.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:09 AM   #293
QuikSand
lolzcat

I have heard that The Wire has a pretty strong following in...uh... "urban" environments (not exactly the type who suybyscribe to HBO). A friend of mine found himself at a bar in Philly where there was a Wire-watching party, and where the actor who plays Omar was apparently expected to make a guest appearance. I'm guessing the re-showings on BET are a reflection of this.

There's an awfully intriguing demographic analysis waiting to be made here. By and large, I think the writers have "people like me" (for lack of a better term) l in mind with this show, but it's kind of amusing that there might be some degree of following within the "corner community."
Old 01-11-2007, 08:15 AM   #294
Logan
Head Coach

If I was a member of the "corner community," I'd be pretty happy that there was finally a show/movie that depicted me in any other way besides a fool just waiting to be busted by the PO-lice.

The way "The Wire" acknowledges that there are some ways the dealers are much smarter than the cops is one of my favorite aspects of the show.

Last edited by Logan : 01-11-2007 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:36 PM   #295
Pyser
Pro Rookie

if i were a drug dealer, id watch this show just for tips on how to handle/confuse/stay one step ahead of the police.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:45 PM   #296
Bad-example
College Starter

This article in the SF Chronicle about the actor that played Stringer Bell might be worth a read. I didn't know he was from England. Glad to hear he is getting steady work.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...TL&type=movies

Quote:
Landing the part of Stringer Bell, a charismatic and multifaceted drug lord on HBO's excellent crime drama "The Wire," is probably the best thing that's happened in Idris Elba's career.

And sometimes blessings come in disguise: Stringer's sudden, violent death on the series in 2004 -- a shock to the actor as well as to fans of the show -- may turn out to be equally fortuitous, Elba believes.

"They had to allow that character to die," Elba says matter-of-factly of the writers' decision. As surprised as he might have been by Stringer being killed off, Elba says he knew deep down that the death was inevitable.

"I embraced the idea," he says. "I thought it was going to be dramatically great, and it was. And it was a good time to leave that character before I got branded as him."

Something of the sort was already beginning to happen. Wherever he goes, Elba says, sounding a bit frustrated, he still hears shouts of, " 'Hey, String! String!' And then I have to remind them, 'No, it's Idris.' "

With Stringer dead and gone, Elba has the freedom to focus on the work that he says gives him the greatest joy: being an everyman.

"I'm lucky that I get a variety of different roles that allow me to bring in different idiosyncrasies to characters," he says. "They don't all have to be tall, menacing, stoic types. I'm trying to change it up."

Several forthcoming roles allow Elba to do just that, beginning with the romantic drama "Daddy's Little Girls." In this latest film by Tyler Perry, the director of the popular, lighthearted "Madea" movies -- "Madea Goes to Jail" (2006) is the most recent in the series -- Elba plays Monty, a hardworking garage mechanic who falls for the Ivy League-educated lawyer who is trying to help him regain custody of his daughters. It's a wholesome movie with a big heart, and the fact that it's being released on Valentine's Day tells you just how different it is from the gritty and unflinching "Wire."

Speaking by phone from New York, where he lives, Elba lays out the contrast: "For my 'Wire' fans, who want to see me play that type of role, I don't know how they're going to adjust to seeing Monty, who is completely the opposite. He's a family-oriented man, and that's his love. His passion is not the streets and making money and climbing up the social ladder. It's more about his children."

Elba, 34, has a 5-year-old daughter, Isan.

"I kind of related to some of the issues in the film," he says. "It's definitely a different spin on the stereotype that we've seen for a long time, as far as black men not being considered good fathers."

Other roles speak to Elba's versatility. In "The Gospel," the first film he made after "The Wire," he portrays an Atlanta preacher. In two yet-to-be released movies, the Louisiana thriller "The Reaping" and the holiday drama "This Christmas," he plays, respectively, a scientist and a jazz musician.

Elba accomplishes all of this without revealing his true identity: He's an Englishman.

Born in the working-class borough of Hackney, in London, to a father from Sierra Leone and a mother from Ghana, Elba says that, as an only child, he spent a lot of time entertaining relatives, playing practical jokes and being a mimic.

"I was always very good at pretending," he says in his slight cockney accent, enriched by a deep baritone. "If I'm around someone long enough, I pick out traits of their personality."

A muscular, thinking actor with a piercing gaze, Elba was already onstage at age 19, then got regular gigs on TV series in his 20s. He came to the United States seven years ago.

"I'm overly ambitious," he says, "and it seemed like I could get more done here."

Once in New York, however, Elba had to wait three years before getting an acting job. He supported himself by working as a DJ at clubs, a hobby from his teenage years that he still pursues. (He'll be in Las Vegas next weekend, spinning discs at NBA All Star parties at the Venetian Hotel and Ice House Lounge.)

"It wasn't like, 'Oh, you're from England -- ah, you must be good. Come on in!' No, it was, 'Your challenge is greater, actually, because we know you're from England and we want you to convince us you're American.' "

Plenty of vocal training helped: Where he once couldn't quite grasp an American accent, Elba says it's now second nature in daily encounters: "Sometimes somebody's personality might inspire me just to speak like them. I know that sounds weird, but I guess that's why I'm an actor."

And character actor though he may be, Elba, with his growing resume, is beginning to draw the kind of attention usually reserved for leading men. Surely, one has arrived when one begins to show up on such vital lists as Essence magazine's "hottest men on the planet."

Just how worried should Brad Pitt be?

Elba lets out an I-couldn't-care-less laugh, then turns mock-serious, adopting his best actorly voice: "Extremely."
Old 02-11-2007, 08:29 PM   #297
Easy Mac

I'm at almost the end of the third season (little over an hour left in the season). This is easily the best show I've ever seen on television. I've caught the first three seasons in a month, and if I was going to tell people to watch it, I would suggest to do it as close together as possible. There's so many nuances you can miss or forget about in the layoff between seasons.

It takes a bit each season to really get the show going, I'll agree its a bit slow moving, but the intricacies and the details in each show are just outstanding. All the characters are likeable, yet they all have their falts. I damned near cried when Wallace was shot at the end of season 1. I'm going to be sad when I catch up and then season 5 comes and goes with no more show.

McNulty4life.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:39 PM   #298
Pyser
Pro Rookie

wheres wallace may be my favorite tv scene ever.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:53 PM   #299
Logan
Head Coach

Thought I'd post this in case anyone was interested...

I've toyed with picking up The Wire DVDs for a long time. Even though they're frequently available On Demand, since it's basically my favorite show ever it would be nice to have the DVDs. HBO's sets are always pretty expensive, and I never ended up pulling the trigger on any of the seasons. Occasionally the 1st season is available at a decent price, but S2 and S3 are usually well in excess of $50 each.

Warner Bros is having a sale that includes the DVDs. Click the link and type "wire" into the search box. You can buy Seasons 1-3 for just under $140. As you go through the order, you can input the coupon code "WBNEWS" and hit apply, and you will receive 20% off. Then you can input "USD" for an additional 10% off (28% total), and with free shipping for orders over $60 (tax may apply in some states like mine), your order will be just over $100 (mine came to $107.81). That's a steal for these 3 seasons.

Or if you want to be even more creative...order just Seasons 2 & 3 from that site. With the coupons, it will be $69.05 if tax doesn't apply. You can then go to bestbuy.com and get Season 1, which is currently on sale for $24.99. If you're taxed at 7% like me, you'll save yourself about $7-10 if you want to go through a bit of an extra hassle.

Enjoy.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:36 PM   #300
Peregrine
Pro Starter

This sure would be amazing to go to:

http://www.ellafund.org/events.html