Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-25-2008, 07:12 PM   #401
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Episode 8 was great, that part with McNulty and the profiler had me rolling.

Anyways I found episode 9 somewhere on the net.

Spoiler

Hell yeah that was tough to watch. My cable provider puts the new episodes up no later then 10 PM on Sunday, so once that episode runs, the newest one is OnDemand. It's beautiful.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:00 PM   #402
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Spoiler
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:01 PM   #403
Logan
Head Coach

Ep 59:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Spoiler

Spoiler
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:51 PM   #404
Logan
Head Coach

Anyone happen to catch Andre Royo and Tristan Wilde on Opie & Anthony this morning?
Old 03-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #405
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

That was some finale, its hit the net but I definitely wont spoil it for everyone else. Its about an hour and a half and pretty much ties everything up.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:47 PM   #406
stevew
Hall Of Famer

anyone have a link?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:25 AM   #407
Logan
Head Coach

Hold out, steve. For once, I'm looking forward to watching it on Sunday night with everyone else. Just seems right for the finale...
Old 03-06-2008, 08:11 AM   #408
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I saw the finale a few days ago but yeah it was a good ending.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:44 AM   #409
stevew
Hall Of Famer

normally I'd wait. But with it being out, the chances of reading a spoiler somewhere else are just way too high. I don't like to have my internet usage filtered whenever possible.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #410
spleen1015
Coordinator

Is it available in any form other than a Torrent download?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #411
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Really looking forward to the finale tonight. Does anyone else feel like this is coming down similar to the Kellerman/Meldrick/and the other black female detective in Homicide, where Kellerman and Meldrick's pursuit of the drug kingpin went well beyond where it should of because they were just so sick of the system. I really see a connection between that trio and McNulty/Freeman/Greggs, right down to Greggs bringing the whole game down. I don't see Freeman rolling on McNulty like Meldrick eventually did (at least I think he did, it's been a while since i've seen the shows) but it gives me the same feeling. Thoughts?
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:38 PM   #412
Logan
Head Coach

Good lord I'm gonna miss this show.

Dukie man...
Old 03-09-2008, 09:51 PM   #413
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

You have to admit this is pretty funny...
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpres...9/85-the-wire/
Old 03-09-2008, 10:15 PM   #414
DeToxRox
Head Coach

RIP Cheese

He only needed to hold on 15 more fucking minutes!

I was rooting for him but god damn Slim proved to be the man.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:42 PM   #415
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

My thoughts on the final epsiode:

Spoiler
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:54 AM   #416
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i cannot believe i didnt see michael's final role coming. i felt like an idiot

valcheck too, for that matter. what an idiot he is.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:43 AM   #417
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yeah, Commissioner Valcheck.......THAT'll help.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:45 AM   #418
Logan
Head Coach

CT, definitely the latter re: Herc. His massive fuck-up with the camera led him down the road where he would eventually get fired, only to get a better job making more money. Now, his slip about the wiretap (which only came out because he wanted to make the point of how he had no idea where they could have possibly gotten Marlo's number) is what got him his slap on the back from Levy.

Fuckin Levy. I could care less that Marlo got off free. As we saw, he'll probably be dead pretty soon anyway. But when we saw how Ronnie could bust Levy, and we saw him squirm, only for him to once again figure out a way for him to dodge the bullet, that pissed me off. I thought they finally had him. Awesome actor though.

That montage definitely showed Baltimore as the ultimate loser. Trading a guy who would actually make the city better in Daniels for Valcheck (although you could make the case that his complete dickheadness over a church window DID end up disbanding a corrupt union). I didn't make the connection that he was the one being spoken of during Daniels' and Carver's little convo at the podium.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #419
timmyw3
H.S. Freshman Team

Disappointed that we didn't see Avon in the finale somewhere. I thought for sure he would pop back up some how.

Also, living and working in Baltimore, it's neat to see scenes that are filmed in very familiar places. When Levy took Marlo to the gathering of rich folk towards the end of the show and they were looking out at the view over the water, I thought - "Wow, that view looks familiar". And as he left towards the elevator, it was confirmed, they filmed that on the 16th floor of my office building, one floor above me. In fact, this morning, I rode up the same elevator that Marlo rode down.
timmyw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:24 AM   #420
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I really loved (and was heartbroken) by the cyclical nature of the last episode. So many characters are getting slotted in a position that we are all too familiar with.

Michael -> Omar
Dukie -> Bubs
Sydor -> McNulty
Carver -> Daniels
Marlo -> String

I'm sure I'm missing some.

Also, loved how Landsman cried at McNulty's "funeral"... didn't think the big man had that in him.

i think marlo very clearly turned his back on becoming stringer.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:36 AM   #421
Logan
Head Coach

I think that's what Pyser meant...he literally turned his back on it, as he lied about going to the bathroom and left the little party because he was so uncomfortable. Then he immediately went to a corner and started some shit. Completely the opposite of what Stringer did...he would have loved to have been at that party and been introduced to "Tommy."

So basically Levy was trying to do the same thing to Marlo, but Marlo realized quickly it wasn't for him.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:47 AM   #422
Logan
Head Coach

No worries, it was a lot to handle.

My opinion, he'll go back to the street fully, only without all the muscle he once had, which will make it short-lived.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:05 AM   #423
Logan
Head Coach

Awesome Q&A between Alan Sepinwall and David Simon: http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2008/0...d-simon-q.html

Thought I'd C&P this comment from Simon in light of the discussion above:

Quote:
Well, Chris is in jail for the rest of his life and Marlo is cut off from the source of his power, desperate to rescue his name. To me, the great irony is that Marlo ends up being granted what Stringer wanted -- and he has no use for it. To me, to a guy like Marlo Stanfield, hell is a business meeting with a bunch of developers. For Stringer, it was all he wanted.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #424
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
In the end there is just no way it was worth it for McNulty. Marlo walks, Chris Partlow was going down anyway, Snoop was killed before trial. He's a fairly big loser in this whole thing.
I disagree with this, Certainly professionally he loses, but by letting him go the department finally allows him to be free in his personal life. There was always going to be another Marlo, Stringer Bell, etc. to chase as long as McNulty was in the police department. Now that he has no control over them, he can be a family man and enjoy his life with Beede.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:35 PM   #425
BishopMVP
Coordinator

One loose end that bugs me - did we ever get an explanation for why Chris was so adamant at insulating Marlo from Omar's threats? Or was "you didn't need that on your plate" before the my name is my name speech all we got?
Old 03-13-2008, 05:50 PM   #426
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I think he knew Marlo would have went out there to defend his name and get killed by Omar.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #427
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
i cannot believe i didnt see michael's final role coming. i felt like an idiot

Exactly my feelings.
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:09 PM   #428
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Anyone else see that thing with David Simon where he said Randy is Cheeses son? I call BS. Cheese would never father a narc.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:03 PM   #429
Dunleavy
High School JV

Great Show. Great Finale.
Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:57 AM   #430
Peregrine
Pro Starter

So, if you're in the Raleigh, NC area tonight there's going to be a really great event, which I will be going to. Andre Royo and Michael K. Williams (Bubbles and Omar) will be at a local wine store from 7 to 9 for a fundraiser for a Durham Boys and Girls club. $25 buck donation at the door. RSVP at (919)405-3838. The store is Brandywine Cellars, near Streets at Southpointe Mall.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:29 AM   #431
Logan
Head Coach

I'm still pissed I didn't find a way to get to that dinner/event with the whole cast down in Baltimore a couple years ago. Enjoy.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #432
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Looks like I'm about 5 1/2 years late to the party. I just started watching the first season on hbo on-demand and i am hooked. years ago i gave it a try but it didn't grab me. I think it is because back then i was watching the shield and was into the quick-cut, grainy film style of the shield.

a lot of it is unrealistic, just like every other show ever made, but it has more authenticity to it than any other cop drama I've seen. It is interesting that the show portrays little things accurately without explaining to the viewer that it is accurate.

i just finished the first season episode where the girl uc gets shot in the car with orlando. i remember thinking, in real life, no careful drug dealer would deal with orlando this soon after getting out of jail. then the ambush. when i heard the emergency tone and the shots fired call it got my adrenaline going. thats good tv
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:54 PM   #433
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I just finished the series tonight.

So sad that I won't be able to watch a new episode anymore. I watched all the episodes almost within a month. It will be nice to finally do something else with my nights when I get home from work.

Anyhow, great show.

And damn Kenard.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:07 PM   #434
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Never seen this before. The Wire if it had a laugh track. It's interesting what a laugh track can do to a show.

YouTube - The Wire with a laugh track
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #435
Radii
Head Coach

whew, just finished season 5, took me about 8 weeks to get through the entire thing I suppose. Best series ever. And I can't really decide if Omar or Bubbles is my favorite character in a TV series ever. I think after the ending for Bubbles though it has to be him, despite the amount of pure awesome we got out of Omar.

Best Series Ever.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #436
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
And I can't really decide if Omar or Bubbles is my favorite character in a TV series

omar, for me....
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #437
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit, you all know Clay Davis wants to be your favorite character. He'll do it for 10 grand, and that's doing you a favor.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:40 PM   #438
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark44 View Post
omar, for me....

Omar was for me easily for the first 4 seasons. But the way season 4 ended for Bubbles was the most emotional moment in the entire series for me and elevated Bubbles to another level. Following that up with his successes in season 5 was one of the best storylines of the series. For everyone else I found myself curious about how they would end up, rooting for Omar for sure but not upset when he got his. But for Bubbles, I *needed* to see him succeed. He was the only character I felt like I had a vested interest in whether things turned out good or bad, as opposed to just being entertained(immensely of course) by their fates. No other character hooked me like that, not even the kids.

Last edited by Radii : 04-01-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #439
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit, you all know Clay Davis wants to be your favorite character. He'll do it for 10 grand, and that's doing you a favor.

Nice.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:53 PM   #440
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Bubs was the heart of the series.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #441
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I too just got through watching The Wire end-to-end, over about a month long period. It started airing when I was living overseas, so I never really got into the show. I saw an episode here or there once I was back stateside, but it didn't make any sense.

Watching it from the beginning, and all I can say is wow! Truly an epic piece of television history.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 04-01-2009 at 10:54 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #442
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I had started watching at Season 2, picked it up on Amazon when it was Supercheap and decided to watch Season 1, to see what I missed (the answer is so much goodness). I then proceeded to watch through Season 4 in pretty rapid succession. The problem is that I so love Season 4, I'm not sure I really want to continue on to Season 5, which annoyed me so the first time through and has faired worse, if anything, in my memory.

As to the Omar/Bubs debate, I think it was indeed nice that bubs truley got his life together. IT was nice to ahve that sort of redemption compared to everything else that went down. But as great as Omar was, and he was surely great, I'm going to have to say I am a Stringer Bell fan through and through for favorite character.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #443
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Bump.

In case people are somehow still visiting this thread without having seen the show, stop reading now and go watch the damn show.

Spoiler
Old 07-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #444
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i cannot believe this has been off the air for years and we still spoiler it
Old 07-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #445
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
i cannot believe this has been off the air for years and we still spoiler it
Spoiler
Old 07-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #446
RainMaker
General Manager

I'll also add that for anyone who hasn't seen this show, do it. It is that good. Either burn through them on Netflix or buy the box set. It's worth every penny.

My final conclusion was that season 4 was the best season of any show ever. I was disappointed in season 5, but it had enough elements that I liked to make it worthwhile.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #447
hoopsguy
General Manager

Just started watching this show earlier in week. Really good stuff, I'm almost done with Season 1. I'll try to come up for air this weekend to post the next IWS before diving back into Season 2.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:36 PM   #448
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm just finishing up season five now. Fantastic show. I agree that I can't watch other cop shows after watching this series. There's really no comparison.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #449
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
More than 30 people, including the actress known as "Snoop" from the Baltimore-based HBO series "The Wire," were arrested Thursday morning across the city and its surrounding counties in connection with a large-scale heroin and marijuana operation.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/loc...sted-in-d.html
Old 03-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #450
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post

Weird. I just posted the same story but in the other Wire thread.