Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-10-2017, 12:51 AM   #3401
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Back playing this game again, I'm mostly over the online thing but experimenting is always so fun because you can burn through so many seasons rapidly. Have my fbcb.ini file how I want it, too, which gives me the kind of steady results I like. Might try to do some slow-simming where I look at more granular things but haven't decided.

The only thing I haven't been able to adjust to my liking is the abundance of high rebound rated bigs - ie. the number of guys that average twice as many rebounds as points because they have high off/def rebound ratings and nothing else.

Started up a new career on a whim today, simming up 100 years of history and jumping in to a prestige 4 team for a slow-sim/coach career.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:12 PM   #3402
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I know the answer is in this thread somewhere, but at eleventy-billion pages I'm reluctant to scroll through the whole thing if I can help it (I already skimmed ~10 pages last night).

My laptop got stolen last week which had FBCB2 and FBB 2013 installed and licensed. New laptop arrived yesterday and eLicense wouldn't let me license either one, saying I'd exceeded my allowed number of licensed installations.

I filled out the support form on the eLicense page, but is there a better/quicker way to get some kind of resolution on this either from eLicense or Grey Dog?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #3403
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I know the answer is in this thread somewhere, but at eleventy-billion pages I'm reluctant to scroll through the whole thing if I can help it (I already skimmed ~10 pages last night).

My laptop got stolen last week which had FBCB2 and FBB 2013 installed and licensed. New laptop arrived yesterday and eLicense wouldn't let me license either one, saying I'd exceeded my allowed number of licensed installations.

I filled out the support form on the eLicense page, but is there a better/quicker way to get some kind of resolution on this either from eLicense or Grey Dog?

Email scott -@- greydogsoftware.com with your order ID (do you still have it?) and he should be able to reset your stuff for you
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #3404
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Email scott -@- greydogsoftware.com with your order ID (do you still have it?) and he should be able to reset your stuff for you
Perfect, thanks! Yeah, I kept those order e-mails so I've got the order ID numbers for both.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #3405
JPhillips
General Manager

For future issues, Scott is great and can track things down even when you don't have the order number.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #3406
Emmett13
College Starter

Playing around in the .ini file, is there a way to lower the shot clock? Also, any idea what the FastSim thing is about?
Emmett13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:01 PM   #3407
Groundhog
Coordinator

Could've sworn there was a setting for the shotclock in seconds, but I might be wrong, maybe it's just the half/period length.

From what I recall fastsim sacrifices a lot of the time intensive 'data book-keeping' involved in the sim re: stats and calculations to allow you to quickly fly through seasons and look at things like long-term prestige changes, player development, etc.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:39 PM   #3408
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
From what I recall fastsim sacrifices a lot of the time intensive 'data book-keeping' involved in the sim re: stats and calculations to allow you to quickly fly through seasons and look at things like long-term prestige changes, player development, etc.
Yep. I like to use it in single-player campaigns as a way to (somewhat) randomize prestige and build up some level of existing history within the game universe before I start coaching.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:48 PM   #3409
Emmett13
College Starter

Interesting, how do you 'activate' it? Just set it to 1? It's set to 0 by default.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:05 PM   #3410
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yep, set to 1.

dola: and restart FBCB if you haven't - pretty sure the ini file is only loaded when you fire up FBCB.

Last edited by Groundhog : 01-16-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:09 PM   #3411
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett13 View Post
Playing around in the .ini file, is there a way to lower the shot clock?

If you want to lower possessions, increase the "time" modifier in the .ini file. That'll fix it. 1095 is a "realistic" number, when you get down to 910, you see a pretty huge uptick in scoring as a result.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:10 AM   #3412
LloydLungs
College Prospect

So what changes have y'all made to the .ini file? I am hesitant to mess with it because the game is fine, but I've always thought that scoring was just a shade low overall.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:39 AM   #3413
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I am constantly tinkering with it to get things more in line with the type of basketball I want to see.

Right now, I thought usage was too low and not enough guys were getting accurate minutes (IRL, Top 100 NCAA MPG guys are over 30+, in the game, you'd never see that) and leading scorers were always too low. But I couldn't get the balance where teams had realistic scores while their scorers were able to play more in-line with norms.

I think I might have cracked it, though. I increased "Quarter Seconds" to make games "longer" so that guys log longer minutes, but increased the shot rate to 1075, so pace isn't so insane. I will often tinker with it, then save and get out of the game, go back in and then reload and see how my tests work, if it's not working just cancel without saving, tinker more and then see how it goes. Rather than change it all at once, I made incremental changes to different things to see what their effect would be. But my current file is pretty good and this is even scrubbed from when I had really elite players throughout the game -- they're closer to normal now.

Here's my current .ini file

Code:
[Technical Settings] ReducedMemory=0 Debug=0 SuperFastSim=0 [Game Settings] QuarterSeconds=2400 OtSeconds=300 [Usage] C=100 PF=100 SF=105 SG=105 PG=110 [Fouling] Press=22 Trap=172 DriveShooting=200 DriveFloor=50 Post=1350 Perimeter=80 Dribble=70 Pass=30 Screen=10 Charge=90 TechRate=90 [Defense] DoubleInsideBase=1200 DoubleInsideRange=1000 DoubleOutsideBase=1200 DoubleOutsideRange=1000 [Modifiers] InjuryRate=100 StealRate=100 ToRate=25 SuspensionRate=75 TpPct=39 TpaRate=39 BlockRate=150 FtPct=74 Time=1075 ShotRate=100 DriveRate=100 FollowRate=75 ReboundLeaders=300 PressBreakRate=1 PressStamina=1 TrapStamina=1 ORebRate=250 [Recruits] ForeignPct=7 ForeignTalentReduction=10 InsideScoring=1000 JumpShot=1000 FreeThrow=1050 ThreePoint=1000 Handling=1000 Passing=2000 Stealing=1000 Blocking=1000 PostDefense=1200 PerimeterDefense=1000 ORebounding=1000 DRebounding=1000 [Default Players] InsideScoring=1000 JumpShot=1000 FreeThrow=1000 ThreePoint=1000 Handling=1000 Passing=1000 Stealing=1000 Blocking=1000 PostDefense=1000 PerimeterDefense=1000 ORebounding=1000 DRebounding=1000

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-10-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:42 PM   #3414
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Thanks! I have been hesitant to mess with it because I am not sure what much of that means, let alone how adjusting the numbers (and in which direction) would affect things. And it's a great game so I have been content to live with it being slightly off from real-life numbers, but it has always very slightly nagged at me as I would like it to be as close to real life numbers and usage as possible.

On another note, I swear this happened organically, but there is a point guard at Cal in my universe named King Trump. No word on how he likes his steaks.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:48 PM   #3415
Emmett13
College Starter

I've been playing around with the .ini file myself trying to find the right balance. But, I haven't quite been able to figure out the significance of each little thing yet. Young Drachma, do you have a pretty good handle on it?
Old 03-01-2018, 09:12 AM   #3416
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I've been playing around with the .ini file myself trying to find the right balance. But, I haven't quite been able to figure out the significance of each little thing yet. Young Drachma, do you have a pretty good handle on it?

Yes.

It REALLY depends on how you want your basketball to look. For a while, I preferred a way higher tempo style, but then I decided I wanted it to be more erratic like real-life college basketball is at times, especially with more underclassmen being featured.

My latest way of keeping stats relatively close to real life numbers is to increase pace (Time in the .ini) to around 950-990 during the OOC part of the season, then in January, I raise it pretty high to 1395-1500 to slow the game down.

Sometimes, during the tournament, I'll go lower again (somewhere in the 1000-1100 range) but it depends. I've just started doing this and I've liked the output I get in terms of team scoring.

In the normal setup, you don't get enough guys who score at the rate of the real-life top scorers in the NCAA these days, but my setup gets it closer.

I also have rebounding and ORebRate higher than the default, because it feels more realistic to me.

A lot of this is like salting to taste though. What tastes good to me, might be too much (or not enough) for you. One key note is that if you edit the fbcb.ini file, you need to save the game, exit and then restart the game in order for your changes to take, they will not change on the fly.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #3417
Emmett13
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Yes.

It REALLY depends on how you want your basketball to look. For a while, I preferred a way higher tempo style, but then I decided I wanted it to be more erratic like real-life college basketball is at times, especially with more underclassmen being featured.

My latest way of keeping stats relatively close to real life numbers is to increase pace (Time in the .ini) to around 950-990 during the OOC part of the season, then in January, I raise it pretty high to 1395-1500 to slow the game down.

Sometimes, during the tournament, I'll go lower again (somewhere in the 1000-1100 range) but it depends. I've just started doing this and I've liked the output I get in terms of team scoring.

In the normal setup, you don't get enough guys who score at the rate of the real-life top scorers in the NCAA these days, but my setup gets it closer.

I also have rebounding and ORebRate higher than the default, because it feels more realistic to me.

A lot of this is like salting to taste though. What tastes good to me, might be too much (or not enough) for you. One key note is that if you edit the fbcb.ini file, you need to save the game, exit and then restart the game in order for your changes to take, they will not change on the fly.

Thanks! I've got a pretty good feel for the pace I'm looking for, my last issue that I'm trying to figure out is how to make post players shoot higher percentages. There are far too many post players shooting 40-43%, which in turn is lowering overall shooting percentages.

Very rarely do I find a team that shoots over 50% for the season, when in most seasons you have maybe 6-10 teams that manage it.

What about the followrate part of the .ini file, that effects tip ins off missed shots right? I've been playing with that, but can't get much of a feel for it.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:52 PM   #3418
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Thanks! I've got a pretty good feel for the pace I'm looking for, my last issue that I'm trying to figure out is how to make post players shoot higher percentages. There are far too many post players shooting 40-43%, which in turn is lowering overall shooting percentages.

Very rarely do I find a team that shoots over 50% for the season, when in most seasons you have maybe 6-10 teams that manage it.

What about the followrate part of the .ini file, that effects tip ins off missed shots right? I've been playing with that, but can't get much of a feel for it.

Some suggestions:

1) Increase quarterseconds to make games "longer" so that starters play more minutes. I find with the default settings, guys rarely average over 30 minutes a game, which seems strange. When I went to 1800 quarter seconds, it improved usage and now I have bigs who get double doubles with more frequency.

2) Increase inside shooting for recruits. By default, the players do not do that well with much of anything outside of a few stars. My preferred setup means that you have "too" much talent that gets generated, but it's more realistic. In real life, 2 and 3 star guys are actually quite serviceable, but in the FBCB world, a one-star guy is complete trash and will almost never be useful to you and that's just silly.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #3419
Arles
Grey Dog Software

FBCB is on sale for $10 off until April:

Welcome to Grey Dog Software
Old 04-02-2018, 03:00 PM   #3420
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I haven't made anymore tweaks to my fbcb.ini besides changing the "time" modifier during the year. I've found that if you lower it to around 950-1100, it reflects better scoring in the status quo.

Around conference play in January, I raise it around 1395-1500 and it makes the tournament a lot more interesting because you get a variety of high pace/low pace games depending on the teams, including those sometimes ugly NCAA tournament games we see in real life.

At high pace, that rarely happens.

It's been pretty satisfying for my simming experience.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #3421
Emmett13
College Starter

What the hell do you hafta do to get more points for your coach?
Old 09-08-2018, 09:08 AM   #3422
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Need some help.

Running the game on my ASUS laptop w/ Windows 10. The botton 10% of the game is cut off so I can see mail, prestige, etc...I have tried moving the taskbar and it still gets cut off. Changed resolution and app size and still no luck. Doesn't seem like I can drag the game to change its size.

Anyone else run in to this and have a solution?

FWIW same thing happened with FB pre BBall.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:10 PM   #3423
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Need some help.

Running the game on my ASUS laptop w/ Windows 10. The botton 10% of the game is cut off so I can see mail, prestige, etc...I have tried moving the taskbar and it still gets cut off. Changed resolution and app size and still no luck. Doesn't seem like I can drag the game to change its size.

Anyone else run in to this and have a solution?

FWIW same thing happened with FB pre BBall.

I believe this is the font size issue? Should be some more info earlier in this thread - I can't remember the fix unfortunately.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:17 PM   #3424
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

I turn autohide on the task bar on mine
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:31 PM   #3425
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
I turn autohide on the task bar on mine

Tried that, didn't wok.

Its like the size of the game window is too small.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:57 PM   #3426
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Right-click on the desktop and go to personalize. Click Display in the lower left corner. Go to Set Custom Text Size (DPI) and make sure the "Use Windows XP style DPI scaling" box is unchecked. Then try increasing the text size used by the game. Depending on the windows version you have you may be able to select 100% (96dpi), 125%(120dpi) or 150%(144dpi).

Try this.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:58 PM   #3427
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Thanks. How do I increase the text size used by the game?
Old 09-09-2018, 07:02 PM   #3428
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Worked!

But now everything is small. I can live wit hit
Old 01-10-2019, 05:36 PM   #3429
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Seeems like if you lower the two stamina lines in the fbcb.ini file, you can get the game to do more realistic rotations rather than running 10+ deep and starters not getting FT minutes.

Code:
PressStamina=0 TrapStamina=0

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-10-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:41 AM   #3430
LloydLungs
College Prospect

This has probably been answered somewhere at some point (or maybe it can't be done) but is there a way to adjust the resolution of the game without adjusting the computer's resolution? On a new 15.6" screen here with 1920 x 1080 resolution and the game is pretty small on the screen. I can just lower the resolution when I want to play FBCB but if there is a way not to do that every time, it would be preferred.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:54 PM   #3431
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
This has probably been answered somewhere at some point (or maybe it can't be done) but is there a way to adjust the resolution of the game without adjusting the computer's resolution? On a new 15.6" screen here with 1920 x 1080 resolution and the game is pretty small on the screen. I can just lower the resolution when I want to play FBCB but if there is a way not to do that every time, it would be preferred.
If you right click the shortcut and go into the "Compatibility" tab there's an option to run it in 640x480 screen resolution. You might try that and see if that saves you a step every time you run the game.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:40 AM   #3432
Groundhog
Coordinator

It's a shame we'll probably not see another version of this game. So close to perfect, but the way it handles PF/Cs has grown to irk me over the years - the number of Dennis Rodman-esque 4ppg 10rpg bigs needs a big tweak.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #3433
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
It's a shame we'll probably not see another version of this game. So close to perfect, but the way it handles PF/Cs has grown to irk me over the years - the number of Dennis Rodman-esque 4ppg 10rpg bigs needs a big tweak.

Yeah I've tried fixing this by increasing usage rate in the fbcb.ini file, but yeah a bummer.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:31 PM   #3434
britrock88
Pro Starter

Reminded of how I used to update CSV files with added/dropped teams, teams' prestige, and conference alignments/details year-to-year. Has anyone picked up that slack? Maybe I can do another one for the end of this season.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:15 PM   #3435
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Reminded of how I used to update CSV files with added/dropped teams, teams' prestige, and conference alignments/details year-to-year. Has anyone picked up that slack? Maybe I can do another one for the end of this season.
I can't remember the last season you updated this, but I may have more recent versions tracking added teams and conference alignments. I didn't change prestige values and I don't think I dove into the weeds of conference scheduling//tournament/etc. minutia. When I get home tonight I can check how current my file is.

I could also supply my latest stash of logos if someone has a place to host them.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:21 PM   #3436
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I can't remember the last season you updated this, but I may have more recent versions tracking added teams and conference alignments. I didn't change prestige values and I don't think I dove into the weeds of conference scheduling//tournament/etc. minutia. When I get home tonight I can check how current my file is.

I could also supply my latest stash of logos if someone has a place to host them.

I've been putting more and more stuff on Github, since unlike Photobucket or whatever, it's less likely to get eaten.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:52 PM   #3437
LloydLungs
College Prospect

There are a couple of new teams but all in all, for a game made in 2010 you should still be able to come pretty close to replicating the modern college basketball landscape. The Sun Belt has a new super-convoluted tournament format that basically could never be represented in the game because it just isn't worth the considerable programming effort it would take.

I guess the biggest thing is that the RPI is RIP.

Last edited by LloydLungs : 01-17-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:47 PM   #3438
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Last night, started working on a player file for this season which is a little insane, but the beauty of learning how to do it in a throwaway year is that if I can manage this, it'll be easier to do next year because I can get a decent data dump from BBState that makes the process easier (but still somewhat tedious)

I might release it if I can get into it decent shape, the hometowns will never be correct because who the hell cares? And doing the ratings is the hardest part, but getting the data right -- names, schools, positions, year -- probably won't take as long to do (maybe a week or two..)

Last edited by Young Drachma : 03-24-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:24 PM   #3439
Groundhog
Coordinator

One thing that is annoying re: player files from the one time I started trying to do this is to make sure you fill out the rosters completely or else there's random guys generated, and for good teams they will likely end up being very good players. Pad out the rosters with terrible guys if needed. The other thing that gets janky is guys with hardly and stats to generate the ratings. You're almost better projecting them out to like 15 minutes a game.

But hell of an initiative, good luck.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:00 PM   #3440
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
One thing that is annoying re: player files from the one time I started trying to do this is to make sure you fill out the rosters completely or else there's random guys generated, and for good teams they will likely end up being very good players. Pad out the rosters with terrible guys if needed. The other thing that gets janky is guys with hardly and stats to generate the ratings. You're almost better projecting them out to like 15 minutes a game.

But hell of an initiative, good luck.

Oh, this is a good point. Yeah, I already gave up for this year because I felt like the effort wasn't worth the work. But now that I know how to do it, I'm more interested in getting the names right than I am worrying about ratings, I figure people can salt the roster to taste if I were to every get it done, but...one thing I was able to do and share now is I edited the North American names files with a list of names using all of the current players in NCAA this year both first and last names.

I also added the top 500+ first names and 300+ surnames to top each list, along with lots of other names, so it should give a better feeling group of players provided somebody wants that.

I've started putting everything on Github, I've lots some of my older files but at least this way, I can start keeping track of everything:
Old 04-07-2019, 02:27 PM   #3441
Emmett13
College Starter

Anyone know if you can edit schedules for CPU teams in some ways? One of the last few nitpicky things I haven't been able to iron out is how to prevent a 95 prestige team from playing multiple road games against sub 30 teams. Sometimes 4 or 5. I think it messes with RPI numbers which messes with seeding.

And then if I could just edit NCAA tournament brackets and move some teams around so power 5 schools who make upset runs in the conference tournament don't get 16 seeds.

Best game ever.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #3442
cadmus2166
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post

I'd be thrilled if you wanted to do this.
cadmus2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:55 AM   #3443
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmus2166 View Post
I'd be thrilled if you wanted to do this.

Consider it on my list, then.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:50 AM   #3444
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Can someone explain to me how assistant coach hiring works in this game? It seems very tedious so I typically automate it, even though I enjoyed this aspect of first version.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:48 AM   #3445
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcjjdnh View Post
Can someone explain to me how assistant coach hiring works in this game? It seems very tedious so I typically automate it, even though I enjoyed this aspect of first version.
The best way to get a handle on what to offer assistants is to take a look around at current assistants elsewhere to get a better sense of the market. Recruiting Coordinators and Lead Scouts tend to get roughly what they ask for, but Coaching Assistants can often command quite a bit more than they ask for. The best available Coaching Assistants in a particular off-season will often get north of $200K/year, especially if a number of wealthy programs are in the market for one.

It's also worth noting that all other things being equal (i.e. salary offer), assistants will choose higher prestige schools in higher prestige conferences.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:39 PM   #3446
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Does anyone have a link for logos for the game? None of the links I have found still work.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:22 PM   #3447
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Quote:
The best way to get a handle on what to offer assistants is to take a look around at current assistants elsewhere to get a better sense of the market. Recruiting Coordinators and Lead Scouts tend to get roughly what they ask for, but Coaching Assistants can often command quite a bit more than they ask for. The best available Coaching Assistants in a particular off-season will often get north of $200K/year, especially if a number of wealthy programs are in the market for one.

It's also worth noting that all other things being equal (i.e. salary offer), assistants will choose higher prestige schools in higher prestige conferences.

Thank you.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:45 AM   #3448
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Does anyone have a link for logos for the game? None of the links I have found still work.
It's been a while since I uploaded my latest to Brian's site, but I'll try to do that soon. For now you can access the last sets I uploaded here:

http://www.fbbgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8784
Old 01-11-2020, 06:38 PM   #3449
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Anyone know if there is someone I can contact to get my license released for FBCB 2010. I had the game on my old laptop that died and was able to find the order ID but the licenses are used.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:53 PM   #3450
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Send an email to Scott Vibert - scott at greydogsoftware.com
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote