Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-31-2019, 10:32 PM   #2001
Edward64
Head Coach

I enjoyed Hanna on Prime. The ending was somewhat unsatisfying but overall, pretty entertaining.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:18 AM   #2002
lungs
Pro Rookie

Do I lose my man card if I'm enjoying Derry Girls?
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:51 AM   #2003
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Ok. Finished season one of workin moms. Absolutely fantastic show. I live the arc it took of starting off funny and becoming more serious as the season went in. I could do without Franky but the other three leads and their stories are tremendous, especially the therapist. They left us with an awesome cliff hanger. It’s interesting watching with my wife. Her life is very similar to the leads. She is a VP for a Buffet company and has to often struggle with being both a mom and her career, and does a great job. Several times she has teared up because of the similarities. Just a great show.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:58 AM   #2004
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Do I lose my man card if I'm enjoying Derry Girls?

Nope - Derry Girls is awesome. Can't wait for season 2 to come to Netflix.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #2005
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Ok. Finished season one of workin moms. Absolutely fantastic show. I live the arc it took of starting off funny and becoming more serious as the season went in. I could do without Franky but the other three leads and their stories are tremendous, especially the therapist. They left us with an awesome cliff hanger. It’s interesting watching with my wife. Her life is very similar to the leads. She is a VP for a Buffet company and has to often struggle with being both a mom and her career, and does a great job. Several times she has teared up because of the similarities. Just a great show.

My wife and I just started watching this over the weekend. Definitely a good show so far (not quite sure how many episodes we've watched). My wife is also a working mom with similar struggles to the leads and so I've been interested in watching her reactions as well. So far she has been pretty quiet about it, but I'm guessing she'll open up at some point.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:54 AM   #2006
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

She will. Shit gets pretty real. Yeah
Old 04-01-2019, 11:59 AM   #2007
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Nope - Derry Girls is awesome. Can't wait for season 2 to come to Netflix.

Netflix has been pushing a lot of Irish stuff at me lately after I became addicted to Hardy Bucks.

Miami Showband Massacre was pretty good too.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:46 PM   #2008
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Netflix has been pushing a lot of Irish stuff at me lately after I became addicted to Hardy Bucks.

Miami Showband Massacre was pretty good too.

Miami Showband Massacre was very interesting.. I remember the conflict very well, but never heard this story. Fascinating.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:09 PM   #2009
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Miami Showband Massacre was very interesting.. I remember the conflict very well, but never heard this story. Fascinating.

Same here. I was young when the conflict was dying down but it's been interesting to learn more about it. Same with the Balkan Wars in the 1990s. I was alive during them both but not necessarily aware of the finer details of either conflict. Frontline's special on Ratko Mladic a few weeks back was excellent and got me going on the Balkans.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:27 PM   #2010
JPhillips
General Manager

When I was in Dubrovnik in 2005 I saw a lot of damage from the war and a very memorable photo exhibit from the war. There was a photo of Arkan's Tigers that was especially chilling.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:04 AM   #2011
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Train To Busan - 9/10

This movie has been in my Netflix que for ages. I had heard good things about and finally got around to watching it the other day. It is amazing. I have seen a ton of zombie movies in my day and I would consider this Top Five material. It's a Korean zombie movie about a guy and his daughter who are on a train (to Busan) to get his daughter to his ex-wife. A pretty simple set up, but the movie fantastic. It's set up nicely. There are a number of good characters who you care about. The zombies are intense and terrifying and there are a number of really strong, tense scenes.

If you like zombie movies at all, this is a must see.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:26 AM   #2012
tarcone
Coordinator

Love, Death and Robots is a really good animated series.

A bunch of short stories that last anywhere from 5 to 17 minutes. Entertaining.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:43 AM   #2013
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Train To Busan - 9/10

This movie has been in my Netflix que for ages. I had heard good things about and finally got around to watching it the other day. It is amazing. I have seen a ton of zombie movies in my day and I would consider this Top Five material. It's a Korean zombie movie about a guy and his daughter who are on a train (to Busan) to get his daughter to his ex-wife. A pretty simple set up, but the movie fantastic. It's set up nicely. There are a number of good characters who you care about. The zombies are intense and terrifying and there are a number of really strong, tense scenes.

If you like zombie movies at all, this is a must see.

Its pretty high up there for me too. Saw it last year and will have to watch it again soon.

I hear there's going to be a sequel.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #2014
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm into Ep. 2 of Dark Summer. Its somewhat slow & boring but am enjoying the different pace where its more People-vs-People instead of Zombies. Need to see more zombies soon though.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #2015
sabotai
General Manager

Train to Busan - 8/10

Just watched it last night. Count me as another fan of it. There are a few annoying horror movie tropes in there, but overall, it was great. Like HB said, good characters that you care about, but also a few well done characters that you fucking hate. I audibly gasped and felt my blood pressure jump up at something one of them did.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:18 PM   #2016
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I'm into Ep. 2 of Dark Summer. Its somewhat slow & boring but am enjoying the different pace where its more People-vs-People instead of Zombies. Need to see more zombies soon though.

Up to Ep. 7.

Ep. 6 was a mess, worse of the bunch. Hope it ends strong.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:42 PM   #2017
Izulde
Head Coach

Manor House on Prime is a must-watch for Downton Abbey fans. A 6 episode miniseries from 2001 where they take 21st century people and have them live in a Scottish manor house as they did during the Edwardian era for three months.

Fascinating stuff and reading some behind the scenes stuff after I finished is even more eye-opening.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #2018
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Up to Ep. 7.

Ep. 6 was a mess, worse of the bunch. Hope it ends strong.

The final Ep. 7 was much better than 6. The last half or so was pretty cool but the final scene was not right. I wished they did something else. Hoping it does get renewed for another season - it was more slow than I would have liked but still enjoyed it.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:42 AM   #2019
Edward64
Head Coach

Also watched Netflix "The Silence".

A different take on the movie "A Quiet Place" and I thought it was better. The "monsters" were eh but at least you knew what they were. Worth the couple hours if you are a post-apocalypse fan.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:59 AM   #2020
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I'm like three in on Umbrella Academy and I still can't quite tell if it's good or not.

This is basically where I am after episode 3. I'd probably drop it but my wife wants to keep watching.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:46 AM   #2021
spleen1015
Coordinator

Bosch on Prime. Very good shit.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:54 AM   #2022
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Bosch on Prime. Very good shit.

Love Bosch

Old 04-29-2019, 07:02 AM   #2023
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just finished season 2 of Peaky Blinders. Such an amazing show. Sam Neil is great.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:55 PM   #2024
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Just finished season 2 of Peaky Blinders. Such an amazing show. Sam Neil is great.

I want to like Peaky Blinders but I'm a few episodes in and have had trouble getting into it. The pacing just seems quite slow thus far (although one could say the same about The Wire) and the episodes feel like they drag somewhat. Does the pace pick up much?
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:35 PM   #2025
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
I want to like Peaky Blinders but I'm a few episodes in and have had trouble getting into it. The pacing just seems quite slow thus far (although one could say the same about The Wire) and the episodes feel like they drag somewhat. Does the pace pick up much?

It does. My wife made the same comments and now we love it.

One thing that also helped was watching it with the CC on as I was having trouble understanding a lot of what they were saying.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:25 PM   #2026
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

"I Think You Should Leave" is the funniest damn thing I've seen in years. Can't recommend it highly enough.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:49 AM   #2027
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
"I Think You Should Leave" is the funniest damn thing I've seen in years. Can't recommend it highly enough.

++!

A co-worker of mine recommended this yesterday and my wife and I binge watched the whole thing last night. Absolutely fantastic.

Oh, and Baby Porkins by a country mile.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:05 AM   #2028
Johnny93g
College Starter

Netflix cancelling Santa Clarita Diet is terrible. I cancelled my subscription after that. I know it won't matter, but it's the only thing i can do to have my "say"
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:30 AM   #2029
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Netflix cancelling Santa Clarita Diet is terrible. I cancelled my subscription after that. I know it won't matter, but it's the only thing i can do to have my "say"

I don't know. It's had it's moments, and the cast is funny as hell, but I struggled through 1 and can barely get started on 2. Overall, it's just ok.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:19 PM   #2030
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think the big issue is that it ended the show on a cliffhanger (so I've heard). But I was reading an article that said you really shouldn't expect more than 3 seasons for most Netflix shows. For traditional shows, they could hit syndication in 4-5 seasons, which would give them a big pot of extra money, so they had incentive in getting out that far. Netflix doesn't have that option (mostly), so when shows stop being that profitable (usually in Season 3-4), you'd expect them to gut it. Unless it's a show like Stranger Things that is going to drive subscriptions.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:36 PM   #2031
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post

I really enjoyed it. It wasn't deep or anything but I did think it was well written and had a very strong cast. It's disappointing to see it cancelled when you see some of the steaming piles of shit nexflix puts out.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:58 PM   #2032
tarcone
Coordinator

I reLlg liked Santa Clarita. Great cast. Season 3 was fantastic. And I was really looking forward to see what happened after the day season ended. Thatsucks.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:49 PM   #2033
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
++!

A co-worker of mine recommended this yesterday and my wife and I binge watched the whole thing last night. Absolutely fantastic.

Oh, and Baby Porkins by a country mile.

That's one of the things I like about Herbie Hancock is that he's a liar.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:35 PM   #2034
sabotai
General Manager

Just watched the first two episodes of "I Think You Should Leave". Holy shit that show is funny.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:13 PM   #2035
RainMaker
General Manager

Cobra Kai is really good. I thought it'd just be a dumb nostalgia trip but it's a fun show. Use the 30 day free trial from YouTube Premium to watch it if you liked the original movie.

Zabka is also a good actor.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:39 PM   #2036
JPhillips
General Manager

Dead to Me is fun, even if very similar to Desperate Housewives. Christina Applegate has gotten a lot more interesting as she has aged than I ever would have expected.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:59 PM   #2037
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Cobra Kai is really good. I thought it'd just be a dumb nostalgia trip but it's a fun show. Use the 30 day free trial from YouTube Premium to watch it if you liked the original movie.

It's a way better show than it has any right to be. I can't recommend it enough for anyone that even slightly enjoyed the original karate kid movies.

Quote:
Zabka is also a good actor.

Probably the biggest revelation from this show. I have no idea how he didn't become a bigger star after Karate Kid because he's outstanding.

Last edited by Atocep : 05-05-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #2038
spleen1015
Coordinator

Another Cobra Kai recommendation. It's not ground breaking or anything but I find myself looking forward to the next episode.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:23 PM   #2039
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Dead to Me is fun, even if very similar to Desperate Housewives. Christina Applegate has gotten a lot more interesting as she has aged than I ever would have expected.

I agree.

Im not that far into it, but I sit there watching with "When will the other shoe drop" feeling.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:01 PM   #2040
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Use the 30 day free trial from YouTube Premium to watch it if you liked the original movie.

Or you can just wait it out until Fall, as YT announced last week (along with the S3 renewal of Cobra Kai) that starting this fall all their originals will be available free, with ads.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:38 PM   #2041
Izulde
Head Coach

I don't know if I can get the free trial again. Did it last year to watch Season 1 of Cobra Kai, which was fantastic. If not, I'll drop HBO after GoT and pick up YouTube for a month to binge Season 2 and drop it.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:56 PM   #2042
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Season 2 of The Rain comes out in a couple weeks. Really looking forward to it.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:01 PM   #2043
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I don't know if I can get the free trial again. Did it last year to watch Season 1 of Cobra Kai, which was fantastic. If not, I'll drop HBO after GoT and pick up YouTube for a month to binge Season 2 and drop it.

I think you can just create a new account and use a different credit card if you care.

Also interesting they'll be giving it away for free in the Fall. That's kind of cool.

Is anything else on YouTube Premium worth watching? It seemed kind of crappy. Only thing that kind of caught my eye was that show with the guy who played Matt Saracen. And that's only because I think he's a good actor and loved Friday Night Lights.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:12 PM   #2044
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

This seems to have become the catch all thread for tv shows. I got HBO for GoT, wonder if season 3of true detective is worth a watch? I loved season 1 and didnt find season 2 that horrible but probably wouldn't waste my time with 3 if it's more like 2. Would go to the true detective thread but pretty sure that would be full of spoilers.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:19 PM   #2045
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm wondering the same thing although I didn't watch season 2.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:28 PM   #2046
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Since I've been spending a lot of time in bed (bad hip/leg problems, including a fall that sent me to the ER on sunday), I've decided to watch a show that retells the stories of the Three Kingdoms period of china. (yes, my interest is somewhat because of the new Total War game coming out this month.)

For those who want the quick 20 minute version of what the story is about:

Three Kingdoms - OverSimplified - YouTube

But the 94 episode series that aired in China in 2010 is available with English subtitles on YouTube (46 minute episodes I believe). Lots of game of thrones level betrayal and strategy:

Three Kingdoms 2010 HD (1080p) 01 English Sub - YouTube
Old 05-08-2019, 07:31 AM   #2047
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm wondering the same thing although I didn't watch season 2.

I took the dip last night and am two episodes in. It's pretty solid... kids in peril storyline if you don't care for that sort of thing. I am kind of hit and miss with those. Love Gone Baby Gone/Man on Fire type movies but some of them play around too much with milking the kid side. Also has a non-linear storyline more like season 1. I think it's worth a watch. Of course now in episode 3 it will all fall apart.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #2048
PilotMan
Head Coach

The wife and I are slogging through This Is Us. It's not because we don't enjoy it, but it's because every damned episode is so emotional I can only handle one at a time before I need a break to process. Mid season 3 is still just as strong as it was at the start.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:19 PM   #2049
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Since I've been spending a lot of time in bed (bad hip/leg problems, including a fall that sent me to the ER on sunday), I've decided to watch a show that retells the stories of the Three Kingdoms period of china. (yes, my interest is somewhat because of the new Total War game coming out this month.)

For those who want the quick 20 minute version of what the story is about:

Three Kingdoms - OverSimplified - YouTube

But the 94 episode series that aired in China in 2010 is available with English subtitles on YouTube (46 minute episodes I believe). Lots of game of thrones level betrayal and strategy:

Three Kingdoms 2010 HD (1080p) 01 English Sub - YouTube

I read the entire Rot3K four book series for fun in grad school at UArk. Putting this on my list to try and watch at some point.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #2050
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I read the entire Rot3K four book series for fun in grad school at UArk. Putting this on my list to try and watch at some point.

I have the book series but haven't read it yet. I bought it because of the KOEI game. I'll get around to it one of these decades.