Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-22-2011, 09:32 PM   #101
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Masterminds are awesome.

Nothing beats an all-Mastermind group.

Of course, I almost crashed my PC after running around with 5 MMs and all our minions out.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:35 AM   #102
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I'm a touch worried - most of the research I've done is on the CoH forums, and the guides there are all dated i6-i9 - which seems to be 12 builds ago at the earliest. Are there any more recent guides to follow? I'm not at all averse to paving my own way (I rarely, if ever, just blindly follow a guide - I just like a nice base to work from), I just would rather not get to level 25 or so and find out that my build/spec has been rendered obsolete by the nerf bat, based off of what I've been going for.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #103
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Vince, the guides are mostly outdated. Look in the specific sub-forum for whichever AT you are playing and browse through the builds there. You might want to download mids hero builder.

I'll throw out a few toon suggestions:

Fire/WillPower Brute
Katana/WP Scrapper
Claws/SuperReflex Brute

I think WP is my favorite set. It is great for beginners because you just turn the toggles on and forget it, but you can get into some complex IO builds with it as well. It is extremely sturdy with just your basic enhancements too.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #104
cuervo72
Head Coach

Wow, Melee much Marm?

I do like WP though, have a Dual Blades/WP scrapper that indeed was very solid. With plenty of IO my War Mace/Shield brute was too.

Once you get a character to 20, I'd also recommend trying out a Widow. I've not played a Claws/SR, but I'd imagine my Night Widow would be somewhat similar.

Really though, I'd just say make as many combos as you feel like trying or have ideas for. Your favorites will shake out.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #105
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Wow, Melee much Marm?

I have a couple of controllers............somewhere.

I have 6 brutes, 2 scrappers and a tank to 50. I do have a controller and a blaster to 50 and a corrupter to 42, but yeah, melee is my game.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 08-23-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #106
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I have 5 scrappers on Victory alone.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #107
cuervo72
Head Coach

My list of 50s stands at 3 controllers, two scrappers, two brutes, two blasters, and one each of mastermind, tank, dominator, defender, corruptor, widow.

My next will probably be another controller (currently 46), then warshade (40) and possibly peacebringer (33). At some point I have to actually play a stalker. Figure with Freedom coming up I'll roll one blue side.

I'm pretty slow with things though. I don't run AE or any other farms, typically don't team. I level at a rather methodical pace.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #108
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

While it will take some time, I think once various zones get reworked solo leveling will be rather easy. While some of the stuff just doesn't make sense, the missions are so streamlined compared to we have now that it's easy to kick out a number of missions in a hurry.

They disabled level bumps for now on beta, but I'll likely get my Dark/dark blaster, Darz, bumped to 50 and keep playing my Mace/shield, Strong and Bashy, through the content. I got the scrapper up to 7 and then needed a break even if a sweet power comes at 8. There is a bug that resets your camera angle every time you zone so it just got annoying to play. There is a bug with the zone maps as well.

Last edited by Matthean : 08-23-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:02 PM   #109
cuervo72
Head Coach

Well, I could probably even level faster solo if I wanted to, I'm just slow these days at upping the difficulty. I have bosses off for my WS and PB, and they're still at 0x0. Running tips, there's not much reason to run at a higher setting (an argument could even be made for going -1x0). Do five tips, hop on next toon. Though now that I have Eclipse with decent slotting, I'll probably up it on the WS.

My Elec/Sonic is at least on x2 if not x3. Synaptic Overload works just as well on large groups, after all.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 08-23-2011 at 04:03 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #110
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Hardcore night again on Justice. Some will be running the Sister P. TF, but I'm sure we'll have a lowbie team going as well.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #111
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

This also does assume the servers get up at some point. A hotfix was being added about 30 minutes ago.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #112
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Servers are back up.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #113
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Deva ju all over again. Hardcore night with Moonfire TF, but the severs are down and have been I think for 11 hours today. While I like doing the TFs when they are the WTF, it's kind of annoying for teaming since it limits what people can play.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:47 AM   #114
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Okay, after two years I'm back. Most of my characters are on Victory, but I created a new scrapper on Virtue: Adult Entertainment.

Is there a SG?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #115
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Okay, after two years I'm back. Most of my characters are on Victory, but I created a new scrapper on Virtue: Adult Entertainment.

Is there a SG?

I don't know of one for FOFCers, but I have basically a solo SG there that only needs to unlock the final beacons and I'll have all the porters for the zones done. Outside of the buff stations, it has everything else.

Also Hardcore night on Justice at 8pm eastern. Going for level 42 on my blaster.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #116
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post

Is there a SG?

Welcome back!

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #117
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

CoH is officially F2P.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #118
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I joined a SG on Exalted. My character's name is Adult Entertainer.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #119
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Who is still out there playing? I just restarted and have been playing with my kids. THey have free accounts, and I'm paying for now.

Is there a server with a preponderance of FOFC folks on it? Currently my guys are on Liberty, just because my brother in law gave me 20 Million Inf to get me started.

I'm loving the new newbie sewer trial...It saves me from leveling my umpteen alternates through the same 12 levels over and over again.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #120
cuervo72
Head Coach

Well, I'm TRYING to play. Kids have taken up the main computer all weekend playing Minecraft.

Still mostly just solo though.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #121
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Who is still out there playing? I just restarted and have been playing with my kids. THey have free accounts, and I'm paying for now.

Is there a server with a preponderance of FOFC folks on it? Currently my guys are on Liberty, just because my brother in law gave me 20 Million Inf to get me started.

I'm loving the new newbie sewer trial...It saves me from leveling my umpteen alternates through the same 12 levels over and over again.

Still playing. VIP. Virtue server 95% of the time. I did create a few toons on Exhaulted.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #122
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Still playing, although not as much as before. I'm on a few nights during the week. My global handle is @ice cold killa
Old 10-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #123
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

My account is still good. Between work, my kid, and Minecraft I've been a little distracted. That, and I just picked up Battlefield 3 today. Sigh.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #124
Thomkal
Head Coach

So why I am bumping a long dead thread for a long dead game (that many of us here dearly loved?) Because maybe just maybe it might not really be dead:

A fully-functioning City of Heroes private server has somehow been kept secret for six years | PC Gamer
Old 04-16-2019, 04:05 PM   #125
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh, wow.

I remember Leandro, I think - IIRC he put together a lot of videos. (I can't find the one I'm thinking of, but this one was easily findable in a search: City of Heroes Remains - YouTube ).

Any contention that this was an open secret way back when is...well, let's just say I didn't have any clue about it.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:50 PM   #126
Thomkal
Head Coach

Me either! I think the lawyers will probably come in an close it down now sadly
Old 04-20-2019, 08:59 PM   #127
cuervo72
Head Coach

So yeah, now according to the CoH Reddit the code was passed to someone else who is hosting a server, to much excitement and pandemonium.

I've not yet tried to d/l anything. I am pretty sure I had the I24 update, but it's on an old computer which didn't boot up after a power outage some time ago.

Once the boy comes back from school I may have him look into setting things up, though I'm a little hesitant. Really I think I'd prefer running a server locally, like we do with minecraft. Yeah, the auction house wouldn't work too well but I could deal with that.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:43 PM   #128
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
So yeah, now according to the CoH Reddit the code was passed to someone else who is hosting a server, to much excitement and pandemonium.

I've not yet tried to d/l anything. I am pretty sure I had the I24 update, but it's on an old computer which didn't boot up after a power outage some time ago.

Once the boy comes back from school I may have him look into setting things up, though I'm a little hesitant. Really I think I'd prefer running a server locally, like we do with minecraft. Yeah, the auction house wouldn't work too well but I could deal with that.

There's this thread on Reddit about a Public Server:

A Guide for Preparing to Join the Public Server : Cityofheroes
Old 04-20-2019, 09:53 PM   #129
Thomkal
Head Coach

Some YouTube gameplay too:

7 Years Of Waiting Is OVER | Let's Play City of Heroes - YouTube

City Of Heroes Is Back!! - YouTube

How To Play City of Heroes In 2019 | Step By Step Tutorial - YouTube

the last one is a tutorial for getting the game set up to use today
Old 04-22-2019, 09:13 AM   #130
Thomkal
Head Coach

The download of City of Heroes was/is VERY long for me, so much so that it might be best to let most of it download overnight. And while you are waiting for the download to finish, you can have a look at what would have been City of Heroes 2:

The Game That Never Would Be: Leaked Documents Show City of Heroes 2 Concepts - MMORPG.com News
Old 04-22-2019, 09:35 AM   #131
larrymcg421
Head Coach

If you use the torrent link, it's much faster.

I played a bit last night and this morning. It was quite a thrill to hear the Atlas Park music again. I wasn't playing right at the end, so there's lots of new powersets that I didn't know about.

Also, when did they change the transportation power rules? You used to have to wait until lvl 14 to get Flight, Super Speed, Super Jump, etc, but I was able to get it at lvl 4.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:57 AM   #132
Thomkal
Head Coach

ah I didn't know there was another link for it-ah well it will end...eventually.

Yeah not sure when the change with travel powers happened, but man I hated waiting to lvl 14 to get them. I love the flight power the most. Didn't use the teleporting one much.

It was such a thrill going on twitch last night and seeing people play COH again. I can still remember what specific zones looked like, and some of the missions they were playing. Can't wait until I get my crack at them again.

What power sets are everybody using?
Old 04-22-2019, 11:03 AM   #133
Thomkal
Head Coach

Launch of the non-test Private server, Score will take place on April 27, the game's 15th anniversary:

The live, non-test launch of the SCORE private server comes on the 27th; the game's 15th anniversary! : Cityofheroes
Old 04-22-2019, 12:27 PM   #134
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Is there still a possibility that all of this gets shut down? Or is there implicit/explicit approval at this point?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:48 PM   #135
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Is there still a possibility that all of this gets shut down? Or is there implicit/explicit approval at this point?

I've not heard any official word, but the group working on this have not said too much about NCSoft/Paragon, and just announced the server going live today. Seems like they wouldn't be going any further with this by now if there was any objection. I think their only concern at this point that past customer account info/characters are not part of the reboot.

Last edited by Thomkal : 04-22-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:51 PM   #136
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Launch of the non-test Private server, Score will take place on April 27, the game's 15th anniversary:

The live, non-test launch of the SCORE private server comes on the 27th; the game's 15th anniversary! : Cityofheroes

Forgot to mention that it does look like there will be a character wipe when the non-test server goes live, so it looks like its a good time to not to worry too much about the costume creator and just test out power sets you never tried/are new to you.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:52 PM   #137
larrymcg421
Head Coach

And it's been shut down...

Old 04-22-2019, 03:05 PM   #138
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yep

City of Heroes
Old 04-22-2019, 11:02 PM   #139
Thomkal
Head Coach

So now it looks like there was never any actual legal threat against this "rebirth"-someone on the team listened to rumors that legal action was about to be taken and pulled the plug. So City of Heroes may yet indeed live again:

City of Heroes’ first new rogue server shut down over a fake legal threat, but admins say it’s coming back | Massively Overpowered
Old 04-23-2019, 09:03 AM   #140
Thomkal
Head Coach

Latest on the work ongoing for the new server:

@everyone Our Current Status: At the moment, we have a number of coders (across a few major projects) who are working on migrating the original source code tool chain from Visual Studio 2005 to a newer version of VS. Specifically, the VS2019 mainline. Once this is finished, the source should be fully modernized and other development processes can begin to move forward from there. Once the toolchain for I24 has been modernized and the I25 source code has been sanitized by and provided by SCoRE, our coders should be able to start examining SCoRE's i25 changes with the intent to re-implement them upon modernized I24 source. Currently, there are two main parts that are being studied and used... The first, is the original source of the client and server, that is the I24Beta client that you all had access to when the game was live. The second, is the compiled server that was used and updated by the SCoRE team, that is I25. With i24, we are working on Compatibility with VS2010 toolset and VS2015 with v140 toolset. With i25, we are trying to stabilize the setup of test servers to allow people to play on it.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:13 PM   #141
Thomkal
Head Coach

Tony V‏ @TonyV_CoH

The Titan Network is in talks with NCSoft regarding a community-run City of Heroes server. Things are looking positive, so stay strong. We don't have a timeline right now, but we'll provide more updates as soon as we can. #SaveCoH

Last edited by Thomkal : 04-23-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:39 AM   #142
Thomkal
Head Coach

This is not fake news Even if you already did this part, you have to recreate your account. So go to the score site, login with your forum account, click game account. Fair warning though the site is incredibly jammed, so you might want to wait a bit to try logging in to Score

https://score.savecoh.com/
Old 04-24-2019, 09:53 AM   #143
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Great news. I see SCORE is back up on the Tequila client, but I can't get into the forums just yet. Will keep checking.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:00 PM   #144
Thomkal
Head Coach

I am finally able to login. you might go to the https://score.savecoh.com/account

then click the login button next to register rather than filling in the username/password boxes. then putting that info in the boxes that show up there. That eventually worked for me
Old 04-24-2019, 01:15 PM   #145
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I was able to get in and played for an hour or so. It was awesome. Hope it lasts.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:24 PM   #146
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I was able to get in and played for an hour or so. It was awesome. Hope it lasts.

Great, glad to hear it. You might not want to go all out on costume creation yet because there is still a chance (a good one?) that these characters might get wiped as they are testing things still.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:19 PM   #147
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well made it to Atlas City at last....only took me eight years What a blast checking out the sites and smashing a few heads
Old 04-24-2019, 11:15 PM   #148
Thomkal
Head Coach

played a little in Praetoria-don't think I ever did that in the original game-neat that I might have original content to explore after all these years.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:55 PM   #149
Thomkal
Head Coach

Some stats from the Homecoming team:

• Peak player count was just over 3,300
  • 16,839 accounts have been created
  • 26,262 characters have been made
  • 255,685,139 XP has been earned
  • 293,306,562 influence held by characters
  • The highest level player is Dacaleos, a level 39 Brute
  • Origins:
    • 7,475 Magic
    • 5,647 Mutation
    • 4,712 Natural
    • 4,204 Science
    • 4,136 Technology
  • Archetypes:
    • 3,482 Blasters
    • 3,435 Brutes
    • 3,350 Masterminds
    • 3,123 Scrappers
    • 2,263 Controllers
    • 2,129 Tankers
    • 1,823 Defenders
    • 1,625 Corruptors
    • 1,334 Sentinels
    • 1,212 Dominators
    • 935 Stalkers
    • 436 Peacebringers
    • 401 Warshades
    • 394 Arachnos Soldiers
    • 246 Arachnos Widows
Old 04-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #150
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Having a blast today. I've been playing three different characters so far:

Broadsword/Shield Defense Scrapper
Illusion/Kinetics Controller
Ice/Cold Corruptor

I never played Corruptors or Dominators much back in the day. Mostly just stuck with Brutes and MMs on the villains side. Also never played the PB or Arachnos characters.