Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-05-2020, 03:11 PM   #451
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Anyone playing Bannerlord? It's fun as hell.

I played it for a bit. So many damn good games out there right now, even with the free weekends I have now, it's hard to keep up.

I plan on really diving in after a couple more patches, but what I have played it is fun as hell.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:54 AM   #452
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Just an FYI....

Red Dead Redemption 2 is now available on XBox Game Pass
Old 05-12-2020, 12:12 PM   #453
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Stellaris Console Edition 2.2 patch has dropped (4 gig update today, give or take, if you applied the larger one from 7-10 days ago in advance)

Not sure anybody else here is console'ing this one but for those familiar, this is the one that removes the original tile system and switches console over to districts & population management, etc.

With it comes the need (or not) to buy a new DLC season pass. First up is Synthetic Dawn, with two more to follow later. For now I'm gonna hold off on another season pass investment. I suspect there are many many hours of learning curve ahead of me with the massive overhaul of the game's structure. I'd hate to buy DLC and then discover that I don't like the game after the changes.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:31 PM   #454
Thomkal
Head Coach

I just picked up Synthetic Dawn and Ancient Relics in the Stellaris Green Man Gaming 10th birthday sale Jon. Haven't had a chance to play a game with them yet. I think the switch over in districts, etc is easier to understand and deal with than the old way

Last edited by Thomkal : 05-12-2020 at 06:53 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:19 PM   #455
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Stellaris Console Edition 2.2 patch has dropped (4 gig update today, give or take, if you applied the larger one from 7-10 days ago in advance)

Not sure anybody else here is console'ing this one but for those familiar, this is the one that removes the original tile system and switches console over to districts & population management, etc.

With it comes the need (or not) to buy a new DLC season pass. First up is Synthetic Dawn, with two more to follow later. For now I'm gonna hold off on another season pass investment. I suspect there are many many hours of learning curve ahead of me with the massive overhaul of the game's structure. I'd hate to buy DLC and then discover that I don't like the game after the changes.

I snagged the Deluxe edition on PS4 a while ago. Thanks for the heads up on the second expansion pass. I'm not gonna buy it right away but I'm gonna throw it on my wishlist and wait for a sale.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 05:01 PM   #456
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I just picked up Synthetic Dawn and Ancient Relics in the Stellaris Green Man Gaming 10th birthday sale Jon. Haven't had a chance to play a game with them yet Jon. I think the switch over in districts, etc is easier to understand and deal with than the old way

Took me about, I dunno, 2-3 hours of my first session to at least kiiiiiiinda feel like I had a little notion what I was doing.

The biggest difference to me thus far however isn't those changes, it's what feels like much more glacial pace for things like movement, research, and surveying. The original didn't have things popping like the first 100 turns of Civ or anything but it sure didn't feel this slow. Maybe that's to balance against the additional resources in place at start up (which are definitely higher than before)

And I'm playing on the 2nd lowest difficulty setting right now but the things I've run into feel like they're at least 1 if not 2 levels tougher than my last experience with the original.

My personal jury is still very much out on this, although the biggest drawback for me getting deep into the game is the fact I have to sit in a really uncomfortable chair (as opposed to the couch I'm normally on for gaming) in order to see well enough to read everything. I'm a marathon session guy with pretty much any/all games, but my (literal) ass protests if I try that with Stellaris. Even going up a full TV size since last played didn't help, I simply cannot read the text well enough with being less than 6 feet from the screen.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:05 PM   #457
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I'm not gonna buy it right away but I'm gonna throw it on my wishlist and wait for a sale.

Yeah, given the massive changes in 2.2, I really don't feel the need to try to learn it at the same time as I'm dealing with unfamiliar starts. Heck, I went Random for my first try and got Hive Mind civ (which I haven't played) and was like "nope, let's re-roll that".

(the first of the next batch of DLC trio is Synthetic Dawn, and I'll gladly try an AI-based civ at some point I'm sure ... but not on Day One)
Old 05-12-2020, 07:25 PM   #458
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, given the massive changes in 2.2, I really don't feel the need to try to learn it at the same time as I'm dealing with unfamiliar starts. Heck, I went Random for my first try and got Hive Mind civ (which I haven't played) and was like "nope, let's re-roll that".

(the first of the next batch of DLC trio is Synthetic Dawn, and I'll gladly try an AI-based civ at some point I'm sure ... but not on Day One)

Biggest roadblock for me is gonna be playing with a Dualshock once I really dig in. The mechanics will be what they will be because I've never been able to get real deep into a game on my potato PC, but I've never really done grand strategy on anything but a mouse/keyboard before either.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:12 PM   #459
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Biggest roadblock for me is gonna be playing with a Dualshock once I really dig in. The mechanics will be what they will be because I've never been able to get real deep into a game on my potato PC, but I've never really done grand strategy on anything but a mouse/keyboard before either.

fwiw, I've found it reasonably okay. Stellaris is about 2x - 3x tougher on a controller than, say, Civ 6 but it can't be too unmanageable since I'm able to do it.

I have significant issues with, I dunno, muscle memory or whatever applies when it comes to controllers. For example it's nearly impossible for me to switch between shooting games because the MW/COD layout is so ingrained.

The toughest thing with Stellaris controllers by far for me today has been that right stick is strictly pan/tilt rather than camera movement. (that's the Civ6 default, move camera and right click to center cursor ... and I've played a lot of Civ6 in the past few weeks).
Old 05-12-2020, 10:24 PM   #460
Edward64
Head Coach

Man, I couldn't play on PC games on a console knowing that I would be 6+ months (or is it 12+ months) behind the PC folks on updates. The Stellaris DLC's are significant structural changes plus the modding community is great.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:05 PM   #461
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Man, I couldn't play on PC games on a console knowing that I would be 6+ months (or is it 12+ months) behind the PC folks on updates. The Stellaris DLC's are significant structural changes plus the modding community is great.

Comes down to what you're after. Mods = PC, full stop.

Playability? Being totally up to date might be the sacrifice you make for quality of life.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:09 AM   #462
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

You can always get the console playing experience on a PC just by having a console controller that's PC compatible. That also gives you access to patches and mods.
I usually don't care about mods unless it is for an old game. But patches are very important!
If you like playing NEW games PC is a MUST!

however...that double edged sword is when you play new games you'll have to run them on the lowest graphic setting usually since it's impossible to keep up with the tech.

new games usually stink anyhow tho unless they are indeis. Granted many indie programmers kinda suck tho too heh.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:55 AM   #463
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The option, for me, is play the occasional console port or don't play them at all. Short of a lottery win, there will never be a time when I can (personally) justify the cost of trying to stay current with a gaming PC.

For most PC games that port never comes and those remain simply stuff I watch on YouTube until the next thing I'm unlikely to ever play comes along & I watch that instead.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:49 PM   #464
sabotai
General Manager

Demo of Unreal Engine 5 running on a Playstation 5

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:03 PM   #465
JPhillips
General Manager

I used an earlier demo video to help explain realism to my Intro to Theatre class.
Old 05-13-2020, 03:21 PM   #466
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post

And what makes this more impressive than the typical engine reveal is that this is apparently an internal playable Demo.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:08 PM   #467
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post

Wow... that looks and sounds incredible.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:37 PM   #468
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

As of yesterday we're once again a dual-console household. First time in over a decade best I can figure.

Using -- or trying to at least -- a PS4 controller was one of the strangest / most awkward feelings I've had in a long time.

(Entirely driven by the kid's intense boredom and his desire to play MLB The Show again. He'd had it while away at school for the last two years thanks to the housemates)
Old 05-16-2020, 04:16 PM   #469
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Dabbling with MLB The Show 20 is my first experience with the franchise and my first baseball game in years. AND my first PS controller time in about a decade.

As a virtual beginner, one detail I appreciate quite a bit is not just the "dynamic difficulty" option but that they've split that into separate hitting and pitching difficulties that seem to scale independently of each other.

That's something that more games probably ought to try to incorporate.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:58 PM   #470
maxlewis
n00b

Hello guys, I like to play a role-playing game and shooter games.
I'm a big fan of Fortnite and Mass Effect Andromeda.
maxlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:19 PM   #471
JPhillips
General Manager

My wife is number three prostitute in all of Kazakhstan.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:57 PM   #472
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Don't give up, if she keeps working hard ...
Old 05-17-2020, 06:03 PM   #473
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

This post need pics
Old 05-17-2020, 06:09 PM   #474
JPhillips
General Manager

Old 05-24-2020, 12:41 PM   #475
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Anyone with any experience with Ostriv? I'm considering an early access dive

https://ostrivgame.com/home/

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 05-24-2020 at 12:42 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:06 PM   #476
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

It was recommended to me but I haven't tried it. Go for it Abe, and let us know what you think so that my lazy arse doesn't have to be bothered and can crib off of your free playtesting
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:57 PM   #477
Thomkal
Head Coach

Put it on my wishlist
Old 05-24-2020, 02:16 PM   #478
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Anyone with any experience with Ostriv? I'm considering an early access dive

Ostriv – a city building game

I played the first early access build, but shelved it to wait for more content. It has enormous potential.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:13 PM   #479
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Ostriv - a few hours in -

1. Definite Banished inspired
2. Can be slower than Banished if you keep it on the normal speed
3. Love the graphics and music. Very setting specific (Ukraine in early 1700s)
4. The minions build graphically not by stage. It's well done animation.
5. No grids or anything similiar.

6. Plays well. Industry makes sense.

7. Early recommenation not dissimilar to Atocep. Looks like a game with a good engine that could do a lot. As of right now probably has 7-9 hours o play before you have done everything. I have put in 7 hours today.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 06-05-2020 at 10:42 AM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:13 AM   #480
spleen1015
Coordinator

What sites are your go to for gaming news and commentary? The ones I try to hit every day have jumped all over the Animal Crossing bandwagon and there's a latest 1 top story every day for it.

I want to see some other stuff. Tired of AC.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:20 PM   #481
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
What sites are your go to for gaming news and commentary? The ones I try to hit every day have jumped all over the Animal Crossing bandwagon and there's a latest 1 top story every day for it.

Honestly, I don't have a go to anymore. It's just catch as catch can at this point, whatever useful / interesting item I happen to spot via an occasional Tweet or RT, YouTuber, or something my kid passes along.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:49 PM   #482
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

I go to Gamespot for news.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:07 PM   #483
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

It's not what it once was, but RPS is still solid for PC gaming. IMO, it strikes the best balance between news, reviews, impressions, ect.

Outside of that it's occasional trips to PC Gamer and IGN. I like IGN for their TV show reviews as they see them through the eyes of gamers rather than critics. Kotaku is a shell of its former self and smaller sites tend to be really niche or simply don't carry enough content.

Opencritic is essentially a gamer-streamlined version of metacritic if you're looking for reviews.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:18 PM   #484
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I like Strategygamer.com
Old 06-04-2020, 07:33 PM   #485
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Troy: A Total War Saga is now an Epic exclusive and will be FREE for the first 24 hours after it releases on 08/13.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:37 PM   #486
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I like Strategygamer.com

I have that as a saved bookmark. In case you don't already, consider wargamer.com also.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:02 AM   #487
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have that as a saved bookmark. In case you don't already, consider wargamer.com also.

Yes forgot to mention that one as well!
Old 06-09-2020, 12:17 AM   #488
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Notched my first ever Victory Royale tonight.

Folks, when I win a game of Fortnite, I'm pretty sure that's a sign of the apocalypse scarier than anything 2020 has brought so far.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:22 AM   #489
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Notched my first ever Victory Royale tonight.

Folks, when I win a game of Fortnite, I'm pretty sure that's a sign of the apocalypse scarier than anything 2020 has brought so far.

Well I guess it was nice knowing you all. Congrats Jon. I tried the battle royale version sometime ago, but it never really grabbed me. I'm much more interested in the supposed to be free someday Save the World version of the game.

Last edited by Thomkal : 06-09-2020 at 09:30 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:44 AM   #490
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Well I guess it was nice knowing you all. Congrats Jon. I tried the battle royale version sometime ago, but it never really grabbed me.

I'm not sure I'm prepared to say it's grabbed me either. I picked it up a few days ago largely as a lark, as much to amuse the young 'un as anything. (Yeah, he enjoys seeing me REALLY suck at a game now & then, imagine that).

I don't care much for the b.r. genre, I'm largely entertained by trying using my very limited skillz to meta the XP bonuses, bonus whoring at it's finest. And the skill based matchmaking makes for a MUCH easier time of things now than when the game first launched.

The other benefit, honestly, is that it doesn't strain my eyes and worsen a headache that I've head for over 3 days now. It's not "close work" like Stellaris or even like playing COD, so I can play something on the console without my head hitting the eject button and departing my shoulders.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:21 AM   #491
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Monster Train has its hooks on me. :O Such a great game.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:16 AM   #492
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I know Phoenix Point wasn't well received on release but I purchased it and the first DLC last week and I'm having a blast so far.

Dare I say I actually prefer the combat over Xcom?
Old 06-10-2020, 08:43 AM   #493
Warhammer
Pro Starter

A lot of the bad press early was the fact it was an exclusive on the service that shall not be named.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:51 PM   #494
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
A lot of the bad press early was the fact it was an exclusive on the service that shall not be named.

Yeah... I enjoy both "that service" and Steam.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:25 AM   #495
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I know Phoenix Point wasn't well received on release but I purchased it and the first DLC last week and I'm having a blast so far.

Dare I say I actually prefer the combat over Xcom?

I just picked it up myself! Eager to fire it up once I’m done with Chimera Squad. Gears Tactics has, also, received a ton of positive reviews. I’ll definitely grab that once it’s on sale. Current $60 price point is a bit steep.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:08 AM   #496
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post

This is why the gaming "press" is terrible. They to focus too much on issues other than the game itself in a gaming review.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:57 AM   #497
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I just picked it up myself! Eager to fire it up once I’m done with Chimera Squad. Gears Tactics has, also, received a ton of positive reviews. I’ll definitely grab that once it’s on sale. Current $60 price point is a bit steep.

Grab the DLC too (just the Blood and Titanium) if you can. Also, they have a great LP series on YT with the DLC. It's good for learning the ropes.

YouTube
Old 06-11-2020, 09:12 AM   #498
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Phoenix Point was buggy as fuck and had issues at start (and I speak as someone who bought it unseen)
Old 06-14-2020, 05:16 AM   #499
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

8 days, 160 matches give or take, of Fortnite and there's enough credit earned to cover the battle pass for a season.

Not bad for an old guy with poor reflexes.

Now if my K/D would just get over 1.00 that'd be great.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:19 AM   #500
Thomkal
Head Coach

Good job Jon! You give hope to all of use old men