Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-04-2020, 09:01 PM   #3951
RainMaker
General Manager

Graphic for those who don't want to see blood poor out of an old man's ear. Police stated the man tripped and fell.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:04 PM   #3952
Atocep
Coordinator

I think the most striking part of that video is the cop whose initial reaction was to bend down to try to help or check on him but thought better of it. He didn't want to be the good egg so he moved along.

EDIT: and yes you can argue he was told to move along, but even that act is just dehumanizing. There's a man lying on the ground, possibly dying, and 20 cops casually march by while no one tends to him to transfer responsibility to the national guard medics.

Last edited by Atocep : 06-04-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:10 PM   #3953
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
An interesting aside on this thread which appears to be mainly focused on one guy and his tiresome, BS rationalizations on police brutality that he must believe are Extraordinarily Important because he literally won't shut up.

But I've been doing a lot of reading and do think that poverty is a root cause. I'm curious what you would have the "Democrats" do, as we can probably agree that they are the only party interested in trying to fix this problem. The GOP literally can't stop fixating on minor fraud or abuse in any social programs that for some reason seem to invalidate all of the program, despite its just having given a half trillion handout to various companies with almost no oversight.

What do you recommend?

It is and not enough decisions are made with the goal to influence this either directly or at the very least reduce the Impact of poverty. Even aside from the obvious stuff (say healthcare or schools). Look at the neglect of Public Transport for example, which is be an important equalizer when good/extensive and affordable. Yet by and large people in power contort themselves to avoid doing anything to keep it from deteriorating (much less improving it), somehow getting people to buy into the notion that putting money into it equals "waste" or expecting it to be "economical".
The lobbying that is happening here to keep it in shambles is spectacular. And i am from a country where the car lobby has been king for centuries and they only wish they had that kind of power.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-04-2020 at 09:13 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:20 PM   #3954
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I think the most striking part of that video is the cop whose initial reaction was to bend down to try to help or check on him but thought better of it. He didn't want to be the good egg so he moved along.

EDIT: and yes you can argue he was told to move along, but even that act is just dehumanizing. There's a man lying on the ground, possibly dying, and 20 cops casually march by while no one tends to him to transfer responsibility to the national guard medics.

Hope there is some follow up because a guy that age hitting the ground that hard and bleeding out the ear usually ends up real bad.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:27 PM   #3955
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
This includes an expectation that they are have expertise in the areas of law, use of force, solving crime...

Sooooo... Police are not supposed to have expertise in these areas?
Old 06-04-2020, 09:40 PM   #3956
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

came here to post exactly this

god dammit
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:59 PM   #3957
Butter
Coordinator

I mean that guy was clearly reaching for his gun, but I need about 10 minutes more of contextual pre-video to determine if that was an appropriate use of force/ ignoring.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:59 PM   #3958
RainMaker
General Manager

Are fitness tests not a thing anymore?

Old 06-04-2020, 10:03 PM   #3959
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I mean that guy was clearly reaching for his gun, but I need about 10 minutes more of contextual pre-video to determine if that was an appropriate use of force/ ignoring.

Nope. This clip showed a good stretch leading up to the incident so I do think this is a fair twitter clip that provided very good context.

I wish they were all like this.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:12 PM   #3960
Butter
Coordinator

THANK GOD YOU APPROVE.

I don't think i could've slept tonight
Old 06-04-2020, 10:16 PM   #3961
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
THANK GOD YOU APPROVE.

I don't think i could've slept tonight

YW
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:21 PM   #3962
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Maybe not the time or place, but should we have a conversation over the legality of curfews? It's pretty clear that a significant reason why they are imposing them is to (and I'm not sure these are in correct order):

A) Keep the peace - though we're obviously having some real disagreemtns about how "peaceful" this peacekeeping is
B) Squelch and arrest the more hardcore protesters (lots of stories of taking phones and not returning them, etc, to prevent them from organizing)
C) Show of force and superiority - Protesters can't do anything about these laws

I'm more of a living Constitution guy, but I'd be curious to see what the more strict Constitutionalists think about creating a rule that has a primary purpose of restricting free speech. Yes, yes, there are limits to free speech in the "fire in a theater" type examples. But letting some 100 people shout "I can't breathe" in a public park until 4am hardly constitutes that.

And up to 3 months in prison for breaking curfew? That's patently insane and definitely not proportional response. I don't think you'll see me trotting out the old "what do you think Thomas Jefferson would say about this" line very often (ever?)* but what do you think the founders would say about this kind of restriction on free speech?

*I believe the response would be something mixed between "holy crap, you can fly in giant metal contraptions and have encyclopedias in the palm of your hand" and "how are you nincompoops still trying to take everything we said literally like we're some mythical religious text"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:28 PM   #3963
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Sooooo... Police are not supposed to have expertise in these areas?

You're quote conveniently omits other areas that I highlighted, including mental health and social work. I'll also add to that list the physiological effects of alcohol and drugs.

What I'm saying is, I'm not sure anyone can be cross-trained sufficiently in all of those areas and few people have the aptitude for it.

People generally get degress in most of these areas so that they have a sufficient expertise (law, social work, mental health/counselling, physiology of drugs).

Nor can you ignore certain areas (as your omission suggests) such as mental health as well as dealing with those under the influence of drugs because of how imtwined these are to the use of force.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:37 PM   #3964
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Hope there is some follow up because a guy that age hitting the ground that hard and bleeding out the ear usually ends up real bad.

That was quick

Two Buffalo police officers suspended after incident in Niagara Square that left protester injured

Quote:
Tonight, after a physical altercation between two separate groups of protesters participating in an illegal demonstration beyond the curfew, two Buffalo Police officers knocked down a 75-year-old man. The victim is in stable but serious condition at ECMC. I was deeply disturbed by the video, as was Buffalo Police Commissioner Byron Lockwood. He directed an immediate investigation into the matter, and the two officers have been suspended without pay. After days of peaceful protests and several meetings between myself, Police leadership and members of the community, tonight’s event is disheartening. I hope to continue to build on the progress we have achieved as we work together to address racial injustice and inequity in the City of Buffalo. My thoughts are with the victim tonight.
-Mayor Byron Brown
Old 06-04-2020, 10:38 PM   #3965
JPhillips
General Manager

Carman, I think you're right. What happens, though, is that medical personal, social workers, mental health experts, etc. all get cut when budgets get tights. Police are essential, but these other do-gooders can go and the police can take over.

There are all sorts of effective programs around the country using a mix of law enforcement and other agencies, but they never scale up nationally because there's too little will to spend money on those types of programs.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:41 PM   #3966
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
I'm more of a living Constitution guy, but I'd be curious to see what the more strict Constitutionalists think about creating a rule that has a primary purpose of restricting free speech. Yes, yes, there are limits to free speech in the "fire in a theater" type examples. But letting some 100 people shout "I can't breathe" in a public park until 4am hardly constitutes that.

It's not a restriction on speech at all. Nobody's stopping anybody from going on any TV or radio show and blasting 'I can't breathe' till the cows come home. Or distributing pamphlets, organizing a letter-writing campaign, broadcasting it across the internet (like we are doing here), etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
I believe the response would be something mixed between "holy crap, you can fly in giant metal contraptions and have encyclopedias in the palm of your hand" and "how are you nincompoops still trying to take everything we said literally like we're some mythical religious text"

My response to this is basically that I'm not in favor of nine unelected lawyers making decisions granted to the people by the Constitution. We can amend the document any time we darned well please, but if you don't hold to what it actually says instead of what you'd like it to say until you do that, then you don't have rule of, by, and for the people. SCOTUS could wake up tomorrow and decide nobody has the right of free speech. The only reason that's not ok is the Constitution restricts them from doing that. Give that up and it's a free-for-all.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:50 PM   #3967
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
My response to this is basically that I'm not in favor of nine unelected lawyers making decisions granted to the people by the Constitution.

Honetly, this unelected quip (which I've seen over and over again) is just so ridiculous that I'm surprised to see you using it. I mean, would you be in favor of it if they were elected? Why the fuck does it matter if they've been elected or not? That's how the Constitution sets it up.

And in the realm of free speech, I guarantee you free speech would be more restricted if SCOTUS justices were elected or if interpretation of it was left up to elected legislatures.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:56 PM   #3968
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
It's not a restriction on speech at all. Nobody's stopping anybody from going on any TV or radio show and blasting 'I can't breathe' till the cows come home. Or distributing pamphlets, organizing a letter-writing campaign, broadcasting it across the internet (like we are doing here), etc.

Not to speak for SI, but I'm guessing he was using free speech as an all encompassing term for the first amendment. Curfews certain violate our freedom of assembly.

Based on the goal of protecting the public during flood, famine, riots, ect I do think the founding fathers would have been ok with curfews in very strict instances. Whether cities using them now would meet that bar would be up for discussion.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:01 PM   #3969
kingfc22
Head Coach

That’s not change. Fire them.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:23 PM   #3970
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421
Honetly, this unelected quip (which I've seen over and over again) is just so ridiculous that I'm surprised to see you using it. I mean, would you be in favor of it if they were elected? Why the fuck does it matter if they've been elected or not? That's how the Constitution sets it up.

I don't think it's ridiculous at all. SCOTUS was intended and designed to be by far the weakest of the three branches. The unelected part matters because the fact that they are lifetime appointments makes it more difficult for the people to change the composition as quickly as they can the legislative or executive branches if they step out of line, and therefore judicial over-reach, when it occurs, has a greater negative impact on the republic than when other branches do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep
I'm guessing he was using free speech as an all encompassing term for the first amendment. Curfews certain violate our freedom of assembly.

I don't think he was, but I also wouldn't say curfews inherently violate assembly. Certainly they don't do so to nearly the extent as, say, the COVID stay-at-home orders. It's not like people are being told they can't assemble at all, it's just for part of the day.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:23 PM   #3971
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
That’s not change. Fire them.

I wouldn't be too surprised if state/union policy makes it literally impossible to fire them without following some sort of explicit process, for what little it's worth.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 06-04-2020 at 11:25 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:33 PM   #3972
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
It's not like people are being told they can't assemble at all, it's just for part of the day.

None of our other rights are limited by where the sun is at that particular moment.

COVID is covered by the Supreme Court case Massachusetts vs Jacobson and was used to protect the public. The Supreme Court hasn't ruled on curfews, which I'm guessing is what raised the question. It's a stretch to say every city is currently using curfews to protect the public and I can't see the founding fathers or anyone else being ok with a US citizen not being able to stand outside on the own property and we've seen that as part of the current curfews.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:36 PM   #3973
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
My response to this is basically that I'm not in favor of nine unelected lawyers making decisions granted to the people by the Constitution. We can amend the document any time we darned well please, but if you don't hold to what it actually says instead of what you'd like it to say until you do that, then you don't have rule of, by, and for the people. SCOTUS could wake up tomorrow and decide nobody has the right of free speech. The only reason that's not ok is the Constitution restricts them from doing that. Give that up and it's a free-for-all.

Strict constructionist is a myth because the constitution is intentionally vague. What exactly does freedom of the press mean? How far does that right go? It's up to a court to decide.

And even the so called constructionists on the court know that. They aren't going to overturn Loving vs Virginia or Brown vs BoE (well maybe Thomas) despite it fitting their perceived stance.

They also change a great deal when it comes to domestic powers vs national security ones. They are strict constructionists on the former, but magically turn it into a living constitution to justify indefinite detention, the Patriot Act, and police powers. A strict constructionist will say you don't have a right to create obscene material because it is not a direct right given in the constitution. But they say owning an AR15 is despite it not being a direct right given either. Two amendments with different interpretations.

Regardless, they were all exposed in Bush vs Gore when they trampled on states rights and expanded the Equal Protection Clause to something it had never been used for. Essentially turning it into a "living constitution" they pretended to hate.

Now it has little meaning except as a dogwhistle to let people know they'll shut down rights for people they don't like and ensure those they do like maintain them.

This belongs in another thread. My point is that people don't really have a stance on the principle, they have a stance on the political when it comes to justices. Otherwise you'd see every conservative up in arms during Bush v Gore.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:38 PM   #3974
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I wouldn't be too surprised if state/union policy makes it literally impossible to fire them without following some sort of explicit process, for what little it's worth.

I can't fathom there is a policy that doesn't allow them to be charged with a crime. If they can't fire, charge them with the crime they commit. I have to imagine that being convicted of a crime is grounds for termination even in the most favorable of union terms.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:40 PM   #3975
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker
My point is that people don't really have a stance on the principle, they have a stance on the political when it comes to justices. Otherwise you'd see every conservative up in arms during Bush v Gore.

I'll leave the rest be to not derail it too far, but this is just plain not true. I've consistently held, and I'm far from the only one, that I was against the repeal of the 17th Amendment for example. It was done via the amendment process though and now it's part of the Constitution. The people spoke, and it's incumbent on every citizen to respect that decision.

This broad-brush stuff where one just assumes that everyone on one side of an issue doesn't actually believe what they say is pure, unadulterated nonsense.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:17 AM   #3976
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I'll leave the rest be to not derail it too far, but this is just plain not true. I've consistently held, and I'm far from the only one, that I was against the repeal of the 17th Amendment for example. It was done via the amendment process though and now it's part of the Constitution. The people spoke, and it's incumbent on every citizen to respect that decision.

This broad-brush stuff where one just assumes that everyone on one side of an issue doesn't actually believe what they say is pure, unadulterated nonsense.

Strict constructionists took power away from the state in a election and then re-interpreted the 14th Amendment. Plain and simple judicial activism that they claim to abhor. It went against every principle they espouse.

Then ask yourself if you believe they'd be willing to overturn Loving v Virginia or Brown v BoE. Because if they were strict constructionists, they would. Yet justices like Scalia and Breyer have said they would not have and even been in the dissent during Plessy.

Scalia spent his career siding against the separation of Church vs State despite his proclaimed originalist interpretation of the constitution. He has even famously said that minority religions should not have the same rights as the majority religion.

Like I said, it's a myth they carry around as there are countless examples of these adherents to the original constitution making exceptions for their pet causes.

As for the broad-brush, I just posted numerous examples for you of them going against their beliefs. I can find one for every single person who claimed to be a strict constructionist.

Last edited by RainMaker : 06-05-2020 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:25 AM   #3977
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't know the legality of the curfew but it seems to be doing more harm than good. It kind of gives justification to beat people and arrest them. It has caused massive confusion as essential workers have been assaulted by cops on their way to and from work which they are allowed to do.

I haven't seen a successful curfew yet.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:08 AM   #3978
RainMaker
General Manager

Law Enforcement Seizes Masks Meant To Protect Anti-Racist Protesters From COVID-19
Old 06-05-2020, 01:10 AM   #3979
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
For a mere speeding violation or even any sort of non-violent crime (say a shoplifter), why not just get the plate number and serve a warrant. Or use modern technologies (like GPS Darts) and spend money on that rather than military equipment. Or not get the guy this time. Not every crime/arrest is justifying every response/risk: not to themselves, the suspect and especially not the general public.

Speeding is different IMO - for example if the car is stolen, these measures don’t work. The cops have to chase excessive speeders down otherwise there’s a green light for stealing a car and joyriding
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:41 AM   #3980
RainMaker
General Manager

This angle is worse because you can hear the this of his head on the concrete. Good lord.

Old 06-05-2020, 01:56 AM   #3981
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Wow, just wow. Your police officers have no idea what they are doing.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:33 AM   #3982
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker
Like I said, it's a myth they carry around as there are countless examples of these adherents to the original constitution making exceptions for their pet causes.

You can make the hypocrisy argument against literally anybody who is in a profession with as much voluminous documentation and numbers of cases that judges & justices preside over. It's hardly unique to originalists. I think some of your examples don't fit and are a misunderstanding of what their principles actually are/were, but a prolonged dive into the details of those would be very off-topic here.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:38 AM   #3983
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep
I can't see the founding fathers or anyone else being ok with a US citizen not being able to stand outside on the own property and we've seen that as part of the current curfews.

This I totally agree with, I think that's way over the line. As for limiting rights based on the time of day - I mean there's all kinds of limitations on assembly that have been upheld such as the need for permits. No right is absolute. But the main point is that if it's ok to ban all large gatherings for months to protect the public, it's illogical to say it's not ok to ban them during a much shorter period of time to do so.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:38 AM   #3984
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Strict constructionists took power away from the state in a election and then re-interpreted the 14th Amendment. Plain and simple judicial activism that they claim to abhor. It went against every principle they espouse.

If there's one thing we've learned from the past several years, it is that the only principle they actually have is "obtaining and keeping power". All else is secondary. That doesn't apply to all people under this umbrella, but certainly most.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:38 AM   #3985
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

The only good thing about the Buffalo video is that it's already getting the attention of some white people who were callous/removed. That looks like their dad or granddad out there.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:04 AM   #3986
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
The only good thing about the Buffalo video is that it's already getting the attention of some white people who were callous/removed. That looks like their dad or granddad out there.

Was just having this conversation... it was less disturbing to me than the multiple vids of cops just using their batons full force against people who are "in the way" or "mouthing off" and the like (to me, those are pure illustrations of systemic problems in police culture) but if the Buffalo vid is what it takes to get a wave of people engaged because of... yeah, because that looks like my grampa... then go for it, get pissed off, you do you.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:09 AM   #3987
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
I've consistently held, and I'm far from the only one, that I was against the repeal of the 17th Amendment for example.

Sorry, side issue, but... 17th (popular election of senators) or 18th (alcohol prohibition)?

Assuming the latter... interesting. Is that your view after contemplating the modern debate about cannabis/drug legalization? Or a more deeply held view about state/individual rights? Probably better in another thread. I just don't really know many (any?) modern abolitionists.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:22 AM   #3988
JPhillips
General Manager

I'm sure he means the 17th. He's said it before.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:25 AM   #3989
QuikSand
lolzcat

I just don't really know many (any?) smoke filled room enthusiasts.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:25 AM   #3990
bob
College Starter

I am really worried about this weekend. Tensions are high, cops have to be getting tired since stress and long hours wear anyone down, and I haven't seen any sort of steps towards addressing the legitimate concerns. In fact, the only national response I've seen is Justin Amash's bill to end qualified immunity, but I'm not sure how much of a chance that has (I assume little).
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:23 AM   #3991
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Was just having this conversation... it was less disturbing to me than the multiple vids of cops just using their batons full force against people who are "in the way" or "mouthing off" and the like (to me, those are pure illustrations of systemic problems in police culture)
Agree 100%.

Quote:
but if the Buffalo vid is what it takes to get a wave of people engaged because of... yeah, because that looks like my grampa... then go for it, get pissed off, you do you.
I posted in on FB. A co-worker from Michigan shared it. A comment on her share?

Quote:
I saw this video earlier this morning, and I’m STILL pissed off about it!🤬
What if that was my Dad? Ugh"

"Wait, you mean this can happen to white people, too????" is a powerful force.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:34 AM   #3992
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't understand the people that say, What if Floyd were white? I mean, that's awful, too. Cops shouldn't kill people, regardless of race.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:40 AM   #3993
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I don't understand the people that say, What if Floyd were white? I mean, that's awful, too. Cops shouldn't kill people, regardless of race.
That's all well and good, but I've moved far past my youthful idealism of what "should" and "shouldn't" happen, and am more interested in how to win hearts and minds. And the reality is that for many people, "imagine if he was white," or seeing it happen to a white grandpa are more effective than seeing it happen to a 46-year-old poor black person in what looks like a poor part of town.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:38 AM   #3994
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
That's all well and good, but I've moved far past my youthful idealism of what "should" and "shouldn't" happen, and am more interested in how to win hearts and minds. And the reality is that for many people, "imagine if he was white," or seeing it happen to a white grandpa are more effective than seeing it happen to a 46-year-old poor black person in what looks like a poor part of town.

+1
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:43 AM   #3995
JPhillips
General Manager

I get that, I just don't understand how some people see that as a killer comeback. As if people are arguing that police should only be less violent towards blacks, but should keep beating the shit out of everyone else.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:55 AM   #3996
whomario
Pro Starter

That same logic aplies to locality as well. Stuff happening in your town/country has more of an affect than stuff happening far away and at the same time you can't imagine any of it applying/happening where you live (despite it actually happening)

Heck, german 'state/public TV' (not like NK, simply financed from public funds and the most watched channels) managed to plan a special programme on the events and fail to invite a single black person.
Then when they got reminded of that on Twitter they rushed out hours before the show and ended up grabbing the first uncontroversial candidate they presumably could find within walking distance (a professor of german at the american academy) and have her talk like 5 sentences.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-05-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:04 AM   #3997
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm sure he means the 17th. He's said it before.

Quote:

He bent down and made a joke that he was going to help the guy up. Like “psyche!~”. Dunno if that game was played elsewhere. But he had no intention of helping that guy up and looked like he was mocking him.

-my take
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:19 AM   #3998
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
He bent down and made a joke that he was going to help the guy up. Like “psyche!~”. Dunno if that game was played elsewhere. But he had no intention of helping that guy up and looked like he was mocking him.

-my take

I also got the impression his instinct was to sneer at the guy, the way he grips his baton with both hands seems a dead giveaway along with how sudden he moves.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:42 AM   #3999
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
I get that, I just don't understand how some people see that as a killer comeback. As if people are arguing that police should only be less violent towards blacks, but should keep beating the shit out of everyone else.

Exactly. I have not once heard anyone with BLM say that the police reforms should only impact the way the police interact with Black people, but continue to harm everyone else. The reform is meant to help everyone.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:14 PM   #4000
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
Sorry, side issue, but... 17th (popular election of senators) or 18th (alcohol prohibition)?

Yep, 17th. It's my go-to example for these discussions as JPhillips noted (there are examples I could name as well, it's just a clear one that has lots of popular support for the not-me position). I'm not an alcohol abolitionist.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 06-05-2020 at 12:20 PM.