Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #51
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
What happens if you get so much funding that you can't even find good ways to spend it all on the project? Do you start just making things stupid-extravagant? "The game board will now be made from only the rarest oak trees hand-cut by indigenous people and glossed to perfection by a 100 day process involving the cured sweat of Tanzanian armadillos."

For a board game I would assume that they would spend the money to print as many copies as possible, as that is likely a rather significant expense for a small independent publisher.

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #52
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
For a board game I would assume that they would spend the money to print as many copies as possible, as that is likely a rather significant expense for a small independent publisher.

But then doesn't that mean that every sale of those extra printings is just 100% profit? I don't know, I think Kickstarter gets sketchy once things become overly funded.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #53
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
But then doesn't that mean that every sale of those extra printings is just 100% profit? I don't know, I think Kickstarter gets sketchy once things become overly funded.

A project is only going to be that far over funded without rewards to give out is there are people that make huge pledges to the project since there is the cost of fulfillment of the lower tier pledges which for something like a board game on the ones I've seen you typically get a copy for about the same cost as the game would cost you to buy it after release. If people are willing to do that they probably don't have much of a problem with the owner of the project making a big profit on it, so I'm not sure how that is sketchy.

Last edited by mckerney : 05-10-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #54
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
A project is only going to be that far over funded without rewards to give out is there are people that make huge pledges to the project since there is the cost of fulfillment of the lower tier pledges which for something like a board game on the ones I've seen you typically get a copy for about the same cost as the game would cost you to buy it after release. If people are willing to do that they probably don't have much of a problem with the owner of the project making a big profit on it, so I'm not sure how that is sketchy.

I don't have a problem with it at all, in fact I encourage it. I'd love to know that the creator of some item I think is awesome is going to get nice and rich if we overfund the project. I just want to be clear about what's going to happen. Transparency is all I ask for, and I find Kickstarter a bit lacking in that regard.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 05-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #55
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I backed American made UNDERWEAR! Woots!

Flint and Tinder: Premium Men's Underwear by Jake Bronstein — Kickstarter
Old 05-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #56
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

Isn't that ultimately why people are in business, to make money on something? I mean, they love the game and want to share and all that stuff, but eventually at the end of the day they do this because they want to make a profit...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #57
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Exactly. If they make money due to more people than they thought digging their idea, then it's simply being rewarded for a great idea.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #58
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
This is the first project I've sent some money to. I loved the original version of the game!

Carmageddon: Reincarnation by Stainless Games — Kickstarter
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #59
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Heard cool things about Tammany Hall so I backed it.

Also saw this and I bookmarked it. I'm tapped for games right now, but by November it should be an easy pick up.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #60
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

So if I wanted to start a KickStarter project, what would be the best way to do it? What kind of incentive could I offer to people donating? If I am thinking of a starting a starting a subscription based game, could I offer future seasons in exchange for funding?

Also, as a brand new project, would I need some sort of prototype before people would donate?
Old 05-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #61
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
So if I wanted to start a KickStarter project, what would be the best way to do it? What kind of incentive could I offer to people donating? If I am thinking of a starting a starting a subscription based game, could I offer future seasons in exchange for funding?

Also, as a brand new project, would I need some sort of prototype before people would donate?

If you aren't an established developer you will need to have something done to show that can demonstrate you'll actually be able to make the game you're pitching. Even then it may not be very easy to get support for the project.

Last edited by mckerney : 05-14-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #62
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

That's the thing. People who fund kick starters are essentially investors that are guaranteed a zero percent financial return. At best the product doesn't suck and they can enjoy it.

I just don't see this working long term without some type of financial return on investment. I'm amazed it's been ass successful as it has. Right now there may be some big time investors that don't expect anything in return, but once the hype drys out or a couple duds are delivered it will die. I like the idea of mass micro investments much more.

Last edited by jeff061 : 05-14-2012 at 06:01 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #63
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
If you aren't an established developer you will need to have something done to show that can demonstrate you'll actually be able to make the game you're pitching. Even then it may not be very easy to get support for the project.

This is what bugs me about the success of Double Fine and the recent influx of 'big name' projects. Kickstarter is not supposed to be about investing, it's supposed to be about helping indie guys fund projects that otherwise wouldn't see the light of day. I feel like a lot of these newer projects are just companies that see a risk free path to product development.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #64
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
This is what bugs me about the success of Double Fine and the recent influx of 'big name' projects. Kickstarter is not supposed to be about investing, it's supposed to be about helping indie guys fund projects that otherwise wouldn't see the light of day. I feel like a lot of these newer projects are just companies that see a risk free path to product development.

I don't see how that doesn't apply to Double Fine or inXile for Wasteland 2. Tim Schafer couldn't find a publisher that would back a point and click adventure game and Brian Fargo had tried pitching Wasteland 2 for years. They're not two guys pounding out code in their garage to make a game but they're both indie developers making projects that wouldn't see the light of day if not for funding through Kickstarter.

And I don't know why this shouldn't be the case. Backing a game on Kickstarter is basically an early preorder that helps fund development. If you're going to do that it should be a developer who you trust to make a good game either on their reputation or they're able to show their on their way to making something good. Anyone who would back a project from someone unknown to them based solely on a concept of a game is a fool.

Last edited by mckerney : 05-14-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:30 AM   #65
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Found my first project to fund. Great book and Lillard, to my surprise, did a great job on the audio so I have some hope in this movie version.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #66
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
Found my first project to fund. Great book and Lillard, to my surprise, did a great job on the audio so I have some hope in this movie version.

Saw a trailer for it a month or so ago. I didn't know they were doing the Kickstarter thing, but it looked decent enough.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #67
moriarty
College Starter

I'm backing Battle of the Bulge.

It's an old fashioned boardgame style Wargame made for the Ipad. The best part is for $20 (admittedly high for two iPAD games) you can get games from both designers John Butterfield, and Mark Herman .... two of the most well respected war game designers in the board game community.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #68
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I will say I'm getting partly annoyed with Kickstarter exclusives when it's like an additional expansion pack. A free t-shirt, or game tokens is one thing, but finding out about something soon after it ended and seeing what was made exclusively extra can be frustrating.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #69
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I wish someone would make a career-play football simulation focusing on elements of the game I don't find in more traditional games.

They could fund it through kickstarter perhaps.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #70
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

That got me to check out the site for the first time -- just backed it as well, it's tough finding good underwear!
Old 05-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #71
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

I'm backing Far Sight Studios project, the makers of pinball arcade on various platforms, to secure the money to fund the licensing for the classic Twilight Zone pinball table
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #72
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

First one to make me actually think of backing.

Zombie Playground (#zpg) - 3D Action, Online Battle RPG by Massive Black Inc — Kickstarter
Old 05-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #73
twothree
College Prospect

I have only backed two kickstarter projects, both board games.

Ground Floor
GROUND FLOOR - A business building board game by Michael Mindes — Kickstarter

Agents of Smersh
AGENTS OF SMERSH - A Spy, Storytelling Board Game by JASON MAXWELL — Kickstarter

Both successfully funded. Ground Floor still has 11 days to go before being funded. And, the final stretch goal is another new board game. Well, the stretch goal is actually a 60 dice game, but it also sound like a fun game.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #74
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

"Dead State" has finally launched a Kickstarter.

Dead State is a game I've been tracking for a few years now. It's a zombie survival RPG. It's a turn-based game similar to, say, X-Com or Jagged Alliance. You have a character and your "base" is a school. You have to gather allies, get supplies, keep up morale, build up your base, etc.

Dead State: The Zombie Survival RPG by DoubleBear Productions — Kickstarter

Here's a bit more on it:

Overview

Dead State is a compelling, high-tension RPG set at the beginning of the zombie apocalypse. As society is beginning to fall apart, the player must organize allies, fortify a shelter, scout for food and supplies, and make uncertain alliances, attempting to hold together a group as humanity teeters on the brink of extinction. And although the zombies lurk as an ever present threat, the biggest obstacle to the player may just be other humans with the same goal: survival at any cost.

Interact with dozens of characters in over 10,000 lines of branching dialogue that affect gameplay, story outcomes, and multiple endings. Explore multiple surrounding towns and areas to find supplies and recruit allies. Fight the living and the dead in strategic turn-based combat. Upgrade your shelter to provide new ways of keeping morale high, creating new weapons and armor, and keeping the dead out. Your leadership will mean life or undeath for the survivors of the zombie apocalypse.

Core Features

-A PC RPG with stats, skills, and perks that make a huge difference on your character’s abilities.

-Dozens of characters with branching, reactive dialogue, and randomized events that unfold over months of in-game time – player decisions and the death of loved ones can change relationships drastically.

-Turn-based combat where line-of-sight and noise affect whether you are spotted or not, making for extremely tense encounters.

-Base-building mechanics featuring multiple upgrades, NPC jobs, and item manufacturing.

-Scavenging mechanics that require players to find supplies, weapons, armor, and other items to keep their allies fed and alive.

-A morale system that factors in player success/failure, allies’ faith in the player, and the overall strength of the shelter.

-Crisis Event dialogues that factor in political maneuvering and making difficult choices that affect your whole shelter.

-Reactive AI that responds realistically to combat situations, player commands, and the state of panic from the presence of zombies.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:41 AM   #75
mckerney
Coordinator

Neal Stephenson is looking to make a sword fighting game called Clang, video mostly worthwhile for video of Gabe Newell making a crowbar saying, "These things, they take time."

Last edited by mckerney : 06-11-2012 at 04:42 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #76
Izulde
Head Coach

One of my office mates is involved with a project designed to educate people about the Constitution using political cartoons and such. It's a non-profit organization, so I believe your donations are tax-deductible. In any case, I think it's a worthwhile project, given all the political polarization and misinformation on both sides of the aisle these days.

Feel free to take a look and see if you want to chip in:

A More Perfect Union by Jim Earp — Kickstarter

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #77
Galaxy
Coordinator

Anyone use other sites like Fundable?

Last edited by Galaxy : 08-03-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #78
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
"Dead State" has finally launched a Kickstarter.

Dead State is a game I've been tracking for a few years now. It's a zombie survival RPG. It's a turn-based game similar to, say, X-Com or Jagged Alliance. You have a character and your "base" is a school. You have to gather allies, get supplies, keep up morale, build up your base, etc.

Dead State: The Zombie Survival RPG by DoubleBear Productions — Kickstarter

Here's a bit more on it:

Overview

Dead State is a compelling, high-tension RPG set at the beginning of the zombie apocalypse. As society is beginning to fall apart, the player must organize allies, fortify a shelter, scout for food and supplies, and make uncertain alliances, attempting to hold together a group as humanity teeters on the brink of extinction. And although the zombies lurk as an ever present threat, the biggest obstacle to the player may just be other humans with the same goal: survival at any cost.

Interact with dozens of characters in over 10,000 lines of branching dialogue that affect gameplay, story outcomes, and multiple endings. Explore multiple surrounding towns and areas to find supplies and recruit allies. Fight the living and the dead in strategic turn-based combat. Upgrade your shelter to provide new ways of keeping morale high, creating new weapons and armor, and keeping the dead out. Your leadership will mean life or undeath for the survivors of the zombie apocalypse.

Core Features

-A PC RPG with stats, skills, and perks that make a huge difference on your character’s abilities.

-Dozens of characters with branching, reactive dialogue, and randomized events that unfold over months of in-game time – player decisions and the death of loved ones can change relationships drastically.

-Turn-based combat where line-of-sight and noise affect whether you are spotted or not, making for extremely tense encounters.

-Base-building mechanics featuring multiple upgrades, NPC jobs, and item manufacturing.

-Scavenging mechanics that require players to find supplies, weapons, armor, and other items to keep their allies fed and alive.

-A morale system that factors in player success/failure, allies’ faith in the player, and the overall strength of the shelter.

-Crisis Event dialogues that factor in political maneuvering and making difficult choices that affect your whole shelter.

-Reactive AI that responds realistically to combat situations, player commands, and the state of panic from the presence of zombies.

This is the only one I funded. It just sounded too good not to throw $20 at.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #79
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I'm sad that it doesn't look like the Defense Grid 2 kickerstarter (my favorite Tower Defense game) is going to make 250k. Sad indeed.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #80
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I'm sad that it doesn't look like the Defense Grid 2 kickerstarter (my favorite Tower Defense game) is going to make 250k. Sad indeed.

A number of projects get funded via a last minute spurt of funding. It would be interesting to see if it flat out failed. It might be one of the first name games to not get funded.

It's a board game, but Flash Point 2nd edition is on KS. Kind of bugs me that a game, which smoked past its first KS project goal by just over 10x is back for a second project and the funding point is $3K. Not surprising to see it's already at $64K with 6 days to go.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #81
frnk55
High School Varsity

Dead State looks very cool.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #82
Desnudo
Coordinator

I was hating on stylus' in the MSFT tablet thread - I've come to see the light. I finally found one that supposedly writes a very fine line so you can take notes on your iPad. Unfortunately I'll have to wait until September at least to get it.

HAND Stylus by Steve King — Kickstarter

HAND Stylus - A finely crafted, pen-like stylus.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #83
DanGarion
Coordinator

My friend just launched a Kickstarter project for these posters he's designed of historical figures!

Historical Figures Typographic Poster Series by Devin — Kickstarter

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #84
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I have cooled off on Kickstarter funding of late, after backing several video game projects, but I just came across a new one to back.

Looks very promising:

Project Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment — Kickstarter

Project Eternity is an isometric, party-based RPG set in a new fantasy world developed by Obsidian Entertainment.

Obsidian Entertainment and our legendary game designers Chris Avellone, Tim Cain, and Josh Sawyer are excited to bring you a new role-playing game for the PC. Project Eternity (working title) pays homage to the great Infinity Engine games of years past: Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment.

Project Eternity aims to recapture the magic, imagination, depth, and nostalgia of classic RPGs that we enjoyed making - and playing. At Obsidian, we have the people responsible for many of those classic games and we want to bring those games back… and that’s why we’re here - we need your help to make it a reality!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #85
Thomkal
Head Coach

More on Project Eternity:

Project Eternity: everything we know so far | News | PC Gamer
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #86
Groundhog
Coordinator

I put $15 down on Timber and Stone:

Timber and Stone by Robert Reed — Kickstarter
Old 10-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #87
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Last 3 hours of Project Eternity funding. They are closing in on 4 million.

Project Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment — Kickstarter

They are also live streaming from their office.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #88
mckerney
Coordinator

They're currently at $3.9 million including PayPal funding.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #89
Groundhog
Coordinator

Project Eternity will most likely be awesome, but with an expected released date of 2014 I think i'm just going to grab it at retail.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #90
Lonnie
High School Varsity

A Kickstarter failure.

Money Troubles: What Happens When Kickstarters Fail? | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Old 10-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #91
tarcone
Coordinator

I backed Lost Valley by Pandasauras Games. It is a reprint of an awesome looking game. It is way over funded and is basically a pre-order with some cool stretch goal additions. Free shipping aw well.

Lost Valley by Pandasaurus Games — Kickstarter
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #92
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I backed Lost Valley by Pandasauras Games. It is a reprint of an awesome looking game. It is way over funded and is basically a pre-order with some cool stretch goal additions. Free shipping aw well.

Lost Valley by Pandasaurus Games — Kickstarter

They just got word that Tammany Hall, Pandasauras' first Kickstarter, is ready to be shipped to them from the printer and they'll be able to start shipping before long. Looking forward to my copy arriving.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #93
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post

Was just coming here to post that, given the discussion we had in the other thread. Video game projects have a somewhat high failure rate and some people are putting in thousands of dollars. I'll be very interested to see what happens if a higher profile project fails
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #94
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
They just got word that Tammany Hall, Pandasauras' first Kickstarter, is ready to be shipped to them from the printer and they'll be able to start shipping before long. Looking forward to my copy arriving.

Yep. I won an auction on BGG from a guy who backed Tammany Hall on KS. He was facing some financial uncertainties.
So I am getting this as well. I am very excited for Tammany Hall. It looks like an amazing game.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #95
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Yep. I won an auction on BGG from a guy who backed Tammany Hall on KS. He was facing some financial uncertainties.
So I am getting this as well. I am very excited for Tammany Hall. It looks like an amazing game.

What's BGG?
Old 10-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #96
mckerney
Coordinator

Board Game Geek
Old 11-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #97
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

This game looks pretty sweet, no?

Limit Theory: An Infinite, Procedural Space Game by Josh Parnell — Kickstarter
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #98
Groundhog
Coordinator

Wow, nice find. Longterm commitment, but for just $15 it's worth the risk if he pulls it off half as well as described.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #99
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Wow, nice find. Longterm commitment, but for just $15 it's worth the risk if he pulls it off half as well as described.

Yeah - that was my thought. From the description it sounds frigging sweet...if he can get it 50-75% of the way to that it'll be phenomenal. I'm not familiar with the procedural-generation thing, but he seems to say that it makes things more possible, because he doesn't have to code say each individual planet, but just the general "planet creation algorithms" i guess? So maybe that makes it more feasible for one person?? I don't know.

I can't take credit for it - it popped up when I was checking Zite earlier in my "gaming" feed from Kickstarter.

Looks like it's on trend to make it - hopefully the guy can deliver.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #100
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I'm not familiar with the procedural-generation thing, but he seems to say that it makes things more possible, because he doesn't have to code say each individual planet, but just the general "planet creation algorithms" i guess? So maybe that makes it more feasible for one person?? I don't know.

Yeah, pretty much. Much more work initially to create the generation algorithms, but once you've done that, well, the thing writes itself... literally.

Definitely the best way to go about a game like this IMO.

I find it pretty interesting that this guy is a graphical artist, because generally speaking with games of this type we are stuck with vector-esque graphics because the person has the coding skill but not the graphical abilities...