Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #151
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
I gotta tell you that if you played one game of Civ V, you probably didn't give it a chance. There's no way to evaluate a Civ-type game in one sitting. But to each his own.

I'm prepared to back Civitas if they can show us something.

Appreciate the perspective - I just have had no desire to play it, the way I did with 2 or 4.

I did back Civitas because I view all of this as an experimental fund - even if things fail, I'm okay with it - I want to encourage the ecosystem.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #152
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
and now I backed Torment: Tides of Numenera as well. You guys have to stop showing me cool stuff!
Old 03-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #153
mckerney
Coordinator

Hit $2 million in just over two days, if it follows the path of the other big video game projects on Kickstarter it's probably looking at finishing somewhere around $5 or 6 million. It would take $4 million to beat the previous high for a game project on Kickstarter, though even hitting $6 million it would fall short of Star Citizen in terms of total crowd funding which has brought in over $8 million.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #154
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I am too. Hopefully, these guys will deliver. The quality of these games could go a long way in determining whether this whole Kickstarter process is an actual, viable well to make games or whether it's a fad. I really hope it's the former.

First gameplay video of Shadowrun Returns, looks pretty good for the alpha. Promising early videos from Wasteland and Shadowrun are great to see.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #155
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

First gameplay video of Shadowrun Returns, looks pretty good for the alpha. Promising early videos from Wasteland and Shadowrun are great to see.

I agree completely. I am pretty excited and optimisitc about most of these games.

I have blown a lot more money on pre-orders or first week purchases of games that I never played or were terrible than I have funding these kickstarters. So, if there is even a 50% hit rate, I consider it a wise investment.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #156
Blackadar
Retired

I still haven't funded Civitas. I'm not convinced it's not a scam or a pipe dream.

- As of this morning, there was no simple Facebook connection to prove the person's identity. Of course, Facebook doesn't prove anything, but that's damned unusual.

- We haven't seen anyone's team member names. Who's the face of this project? Are there 3 team members, or 12? Who is doing the scripting, the modeling, the music? What have these people done before? There's no real details about the team members. I can't tell if this is 3 high school kids or a professional development team of 15 who have worked on like projects.

- There's no website. They want to wait until AFTER being funded to create one? They're asking for for $250,000. This isn't chump change. I understand that they may need the money to complete the project, but creating a quick website should be child's play for a team that has the capability to build a city simulator.

- There's really no plan about the game itself. Ok, we see a terrain model. And a building model. A decent programmer could create that in a couple of hours. Where's the game? Are they planning on ordinances? Zoning? Do zones grow? What's the transportation model going to be like (probably the single most important thing in a city-builder)?

- What engine are they going to use? City-builders tax systems and there's no mention of even the engine?

- No opening video. They finally put out a video showing some very limited terrain tools, but it was very limited.

- Brand new Kickstarter account. The project leader hasn't even so much as backed another gaming project? Or is he hiding his identity for another reason? That doesn't strike me as kosher.

The whole thing smacks of unprofessionalism. Even the video was a rambling, unscripted mess. There's a real lack of upper tiers that can be purchased. No website. The project leader repeatedly complaining about how "tired" he is and how late he stayed up in the comments area. The obvious slams at Simcity. I'd love to back a city-building game, but this one appears to be very disorganized (at best) or an outright scam (at worst). As such, I'm following this, but they're not getting my money until we get some concrete answers.

Last edited by Blackadar : 03-08-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #157
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
- There's no website. They want to wait until AFTER being funded to create one? They're asking for for $250,000. This isn't chump change. Create a friggin' website.

Except when you're talking about a budget for a city builder it is chump change. Especially when you factor in kickstarter fees and physical goods like t-shirts (around $400k of the Double Fine project funds went to fulfillment of physical goods for backer rewards). If they make their goal I don't see how it's enough to finish a project like they're pitching.

If I back a game I really need to see one of two things, a decent prototype to show they can are able to at least get a start on what they want to make. Nekro, Castle Story and FTL all showed something they looked really promising in their pitch videos that. Short of that If it's just a concept I'm not going to pay any attention to it unless its an established developer who I know can not only ship a game but make one I'll like. Anyone can tell you what awesome game idea they'd like to make, who gives a shit about an awesome sounding pitch? On the other hand if it is Tim Schafer, Chris Avellone, Tim Cain, Brian Mitsoda or Brian Fargo talking about a game they'd like to make I'll definitely listen to what they've got to say.

Civitas doesn't seem to fit either of those requirements so it really doesn't look like something I'd back

Last edited by mckerney : 03-08-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #158
Blackadar
Retired

New Kickstarter...from Lord Brittish. Yep, that's right...Richard Garriott returns with an Ultima-like game called Shroud of the Avatar.

Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues by Portalarium, Inc. — Kickstarter

Considering that U7 was one of the best games of all time and I cut my teeth on Ultima games, I'm in.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #159
mckerney
Coordinator

Probably unlucky timing coming right on the heels of the Torment project, though it should have no problem passing its target
Old 03-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #160
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
New Kickstarter...from Lord Brittish. Yep, that's right...Richard Garriott returns with an Ultima-like game called Shroud of the Avatar.

Considering that U7 was one of the best games of all time and I cut my teeth on Ultima games, I'm in.

On hell yeah, Ultima and the original Bards Tale trilogy were the games that started it all for me on that old crappy Apple IIC. In for sure!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #161
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I backed the shit out of that thing for $25, thanks for the heads up!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #162
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

How long will it take for next big name guy to jump on Kickstarter with a large ambitious project we will love to support?

Old 03-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #163
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Dude gots money to go to space, dude gots money to fund his own game. I'll wait for the retail release.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #164
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
Dude gots money to go to space, dude gots money to fund his own game. I'll wait for the retail release.

I think part of it is also testing to see who is interested. Is this a concept that works? Are people excited?

Old 03-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #165
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
How long will it take for next big name guy to jump on Kickstarter with a large ambitious project we will love to support?

You mean like Front Office Football?
Old 03-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #166
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:

I figure at the very least the massive success of Torment, Avatar and Eternity will encourage other companies (large and small) to make their own RPG games. And considering that I'd buy it Day 1, I might as well get it cheap now rather than pay full price later.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #167
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
You mean like Front Office Football?

No, more like Will Wright or Sid Meier or someone.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #168
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Well... had to back that one also.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #169
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I figure at the very least the massive success of Torment, Avatar and Eternity will encourage other companies (large and small) to make their own RPG games. And considering that I'd buy it Day 1, I might as well get it cheap now rather than pay full price later.

How's SimCity workin' for you?
Old 03-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #170
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
How's SimCity workin' for you?

I dunno. I didn't order it. Your point?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #171
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Sorry, I didn't think you were only repeating speculation and hearsay when venting about the release all week long. I misread and thought you had actually played the game. Mea culpa.

Now, one might also think that when faced with the prospect of a persistent online world from a team that has never released a game headed by someone whose last shipped product was a abysmal failure of a persistent online world that died less than eighteen months after release, that the concept of "waiting for reviews before giving money" rather than "I'mma buy Day 1" might guide your impulses. Again, I hadn't considered that you had actually dodged the bullet that struck much of the Internet this week and were simply covering us all in schadenfreude rather than learning the lesson that giving anyone cash up front just because you might as well get a discount on your Day 1 purchase is silly. Again, my apologies.

I sincerely hope you enjoy the game that you have decided to buy now based on concept art that may or may not be released in nineteen months' time. As stated before, I believe Mr. Garriott has ample resources with which to oversee development without my charity, and my poor choices several months ago have led me to believe I shall be more than happy to pay full price for this title upon a well-regarded retail release rather than the discounted price offered in anticipation of the wishes and dreams of nostalgia.

Good luck with your investment.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #172
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Except when you're talking about a budget for a city builder it is chump change. Especially when you factor in kickstarter fees and physical goods like t-shirts (around $400k of the Double Fine project funds went to fulfillment of physical goods for backer rewards). If they make their goal I don't see how it's enough to finish a project like they're pitching.

For a bit more on the amount of money as a budget for a city builder game, 2D fighting game Skullgirls recently put up an indie go go campaign. They went in with a goal of raising $150,000 to add one character to the game. Their breakdown in costs went like this.

Quote:
$48,000: Staff Salaries - 8 people for 10 weeks
$30,000: Animation and Clean-up Contracting
$4,000: Voice recording
$2,000: Hit-box Contracting
$5,000: Audio Implementation Contracting
$20,000: QA Testing
$10,000: 1st Party Certification
$10,500: IndieGoGo and Payment Processing Fees
$20,500: Manufacturing and Shipping Physical Rewards

Now, a full city builder for $100k more? No chance.

EDIT: Reddit thread asking if Civitas might be a scam.

Last edited by mckerney : 03-09-2013 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #173
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't think you were only repeating speculation and hearsay when venting about the release all week long. I misread and thought you had actually played the game. Mea culpa.

Those don't mean what you think they mean.

Quote:
Now, one might also think that when faced with the prospect of a persistent online world from a team that has never released a game headed by someone whose last shipped product was a abysmal failure of a persistent online world that died less than eighteen months after release, that the concept of "waiting for reviews before giving money" rather than "I'mma buy Day 1" might guide your impulses. Again, I hadn't considered that you had actually dodged the bullet that struck much of the Internet this week and were simply covering us all in schadenfreude rather than learning the lesson that giving anyone cash up front just because you might as well get a discount on your Day 1 purchase is silly. Again, my apologies.

I sincerely hope you enjoy the game that you have decided to buy now based on concept art that may or may not be released in nineteen months' time. As stated before, I believe Mr. Garriott has ample resources with which to oversee development without my charity, and my poor choices several months ago have led me to believe I shall be more than happy to pay full price for this title upon a well-regarded retail release rather than the discounted price offered in anticipation of the wishes and dreams of nostalgia.

Good luck with your investment.

It's mostly a single player game that allows people to join you. The entirely different infrastructure means the situations aren't comparable. Nice try, though.

The MMOs - whether you consider Tablua Rasa or City of Heroes - aren't relevant. The last RPG coded by Garriott was Ultima 7 and it remains one of the best of all time. The entire series from 1-7 was incredible gaming. So it's worth $25 to me for him to go back to his roots and work on what many of us have wanted him to work on since the mid-90s. A little nostalgia and a couple of dreams aren't necessarily a bad thing.

Enjoy your schadenfreude. I hear it goes well with a side of fava beans.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #174
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I agree completely. I am pretty excited and optimisitc about most of these games.

I have blown a lot more money on pre-orders or first week purchases of games that I never played or were terrible than I have funding these kickstarters. So, if there is even a 50% hit rate, I consider it a wise investment.

The only Kickstarter games I went into with really high hopes for them were Project Eternity and the Double Fine Adventure. When it comes to RPGs the crew at Obsidian are some of the best and it doesn't get better than Tim Schafer when it comes to adventure games. The other games I backed are ones that I'm looking forward to and seem like they have a lot of potential, but didn't go into them as optimistic as I am about these two.

The gameplay videos for Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun have upped my expectations for them a bit, very impressed by both of them. I also love what I have seen of the art for the Double Fine Adventure.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #175
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

4 super nerds have already ponied up 10k for a tour of the castle
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #176
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
4 super nerds have already ponied up 10k for a tour of the castle

And Akalabeth!

Old 03-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #177
BYU 14
Coordinator

Damn, he is going to smash the 1,000,000 mark
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #178
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Damn, he is going to smash the 1,000,000 mark

Garriot? Absolutely. You can tell how the parabolas will go with Kickstarter projects. He got more than enough in the first day to guarantee making 1 - his goal

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 03-10-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #179
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Average donation / person for Torment - 54.8 dollars

Average donation / person for Avatar - 63.09 dollars

Avatar has roughly 1/4 of the donors the Torment one has, but a much higher average donation level

Old 03-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #180
Blackadar
Retired

The Civitas story is getting...interesting.

Specifically, this post

In short, the leader of the kickstarter, Brandon Smith, says some of the team don't want to be made public. Ok, I could buy that though I wonder if they're really prepared to quit their jobs and work on this if it does fund. But then he goes a step further and says that he might lose his job at Greyland Studios if they find out what he's doing. Except the domain for Greyland is registered in his name, the kickstarter funds are pulled by Greyland and the two iOS games released by Greyland were by him. So if he IS Greyland studios, then why would he fear losing his job? Seems Mr. Smith got caught in a little white lie...

Is it just coincidence that the intials of the lead guy are BS and the kickstarter itself ends on April Fool's Day? That seems weird. And he's started to make some public mis-steps:

Quote:
"We are not shaken at all by the doubters that love to donate 1 dollar to discourage us all in our comments section, we know where they are coming from, and we all know how they'll end up looking when the kickstarter is updated and we all move forward making this amazing game together."

Insulting the people who might be interested in funding you is not a great way to get started. Some people have already reduced their pledges back to $1, so it will be interesting to see how he recovers from this. I would love an alternative to Simcity, but as I said before this one hasn't passed the sniff test yet.

Last edited by Blackadar : 03-11-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #181
mckerney
Coordinator

The Kickstarter will be cancelled within a week.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #182
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The Veronica Mars Movie Project by Rob Thomas — Kickstarter
Old 03-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #183
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

I hope the killer is a sloth.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #184
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

In case we have any Magic the Gathering fans

The Gathering: Reuniting Pioneering Artists of Magic by Full Steam Press, LLC — Kickstarter

Old 03-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #185
Ryan S
Quarterback

The massive success of this Kickstarter could be huge for cult TV shows.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #186
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post

I was going to make a comment about calling it a massive success, and while it isn't funded, the amount went up a lot since I posted, so this should end up with really good numbers.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #187
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

And doesn't Joss Whedon have to be looking at this and going, "So, Firefly."
Old 03-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #188
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post

Yeah...not even a fan of the show, but this is a cool development.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #189
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, or J Michael Str is going to pump more time/money in Babylon 5.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #190
Logan
Head Coach

Did they say what the actual budget would be for this movie? I know the goal is to raise $2MM but is that going to be the entire budget...production, cast (I saw Kristen Bell and others plan on working cheaply), marketing, etc? If so, there's gotta be some serious potential returns on the back end there.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #191
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I know Adam Carolla was talking about funding a smallish movie via Kickstarter soon. Something about older comics that are forced to go back out on the road in their 50s because all of the yearly million dollar TV development deals have dried up. Sounded like a funny premise.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #192
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

So pumped about the potential Veronica Mars movie - and what a fantastic way to go about funding it.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #193
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I know Adam Carolla was talking about funding a smallish movie via Kickstarter soon. Something about older comics that are forced to go back out on the road in their 50s because all of the yearly million dollar TV development deals have dried up. Sounded like a funny premise.

That rich fuck should fund his own shit.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #194
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Did they say what the actual budget would be for this movie? I know the goal is to raise $2MM but is that going to be the entire budget...production, cast (I saw Kristen Bell and others plan on working cheaply), marketing, etc? If so, there's gotta be some serious potential returns on the back end there.
They're encouraging people to keep donating past the $2 million, so I think that's just a baseline. They also have "the support of Warner Brothers" on this - that was needed at a minimum for intellectual property reasons, and I don't think that means extra funds for production, but I wouldn't be surprised if WB covered a lot of distribution and marketing once a viable movie is made.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #195
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Yeah...not even a fan of the show, but this is a cool development.

This.

This could quite literally resurrect cult classic movies and TV shows based entirely on fan response.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #196
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
And doesn't Joss Whedon have to be looking at this and going, "So, Firefly."

Seriously, Veronica Mars (a niche show even amongst the niches) can raise $2M - Think Joss Whedon can't raise $10M for Firefly from nerds? I'm in for a couple of hundred bucks without even thinking about it.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #197
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
The Kickstarter will be cancelled within a week.

It hasn't been yet, but these Civitas jokers are giving everyone a lesson on how not to run a successful kickstarter.

Even with the massive amount of anger/disappointment against the Simcity series, these idiots have managed to stall out their kickstarter at about $100k. They finally pushed out a couple of videos, but they're of poor quality with no professionalism - just a couple of relatively young dolts talking about the game. They've been promising gameplay examples, but haven't delivered in two weeks. Hell, they haven't been able to deliver any concept art! And now Brandon Smith, the leader of the kickstarter, has started talking about putting the game on the Wii-U. Needless to say, a bunch of people have jumped on him because:

1. Porting a game like this to the Wii-U would be virtually impossible for the dollars they want.
2. In order to make it work with something like the Wii-U, you'd have to considerably dumb down the PC version.
3. A PC, Unix, Mac AND Wii U version? Even tier 1 studios don't pull that off very often.

Right now you could shit in a box and get $250,000 in donations if people thought it could replace Simcity. These guys have actually managed to fuck that up. I do so enjoy watching this train wreck develop, though.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #198
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Seriously, Veronica Mars (a niche show even amongst the niches) can raise $2M - Think Joss Whedon can't raise $10M for Firefly from nerds? I'm in for a couple of hundred bucks without even thinking about it.

I'd think you'd need like 25m or so in order to make a viable 10 hours of TV. Possibly doable, but everyone would have to take a reduced rate and the stories would need to be somewhat limited.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #199
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Veronica mars project over $2.6 million in less than 24 hours. Crazyness.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #200
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The bigger problem for Firefly is getting the cast. Nathan Filion is on Castle. Morena Baccarin is on Homeland. Gina Torres is on Suits. Doing a whole season of Firefly that fits their schedules just isn't practical. And the first movie required a $40million budget. Veronica Mars is a much cheaper product to produce.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote