Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #201
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That's probably the last beta patch. Do you have network play etcetera? Can you download the editor?
Old 10-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #202
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

You are correct sir. I went to the SI boards and noticed my version was one off.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #203
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbgolf View Post
Playing Blackpool I sold my house and everything else to get eden hazards lil bro from chelsea and a wingback from chelsea...saved before the end of transfer it said on there profile moving to blackpool on jan 7.........well jan 7 has passed and no players and my money is gone.Never been so bummed in a game in my 40 yrs of playing games.Cant even get myself to star again.

Does it say they're moving on the year you are in? I know sometimes if I went after really young dudes in FM13 they didn't sign with me until like 2 years later. No idea why, but check and make sure.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 10-30-2013 at 08:57 PM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #204
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

If you have freezing issues when first trying to access the Steam Workshop temporarily move your graphics folder then launch it. Just spent the last 15 minutes trying to get the dark skin downloaded.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:59 AM   #205
kmbgolf
n00b

nope on there player pic it says joining blackpool on jan 7
kmbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #206
Shepp
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbgolf View Post
Playing Blackpool I sold my house and everything else to get eden hazards lil bro from chelsea and a wingback from chelsea...saved before the end of transfer it said on there profile moving to blackpool on jan 7.........well jan 7 has passed and no players and my money is gone.Never been so bummed in a game in my 40 yrs of playing games.Cant even get myself to star again.

How old are these guys? I had seen this happen once in FM10 I think. The transfer ended up going through the January of the following year. I can't remember exactly why it happened because its been so long ago but it may be because of their age.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #207
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
How old are these guys? I had seen this happen once in FM10 I think. The transfer ended up going through the January of the following year. I can't remember exactly why it happened because its been so long ago but it may be because of their age.

Yeah - could be that. U18 players or something.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #208
Johnny93g
College Starter

I'm thinking of picking this up, I've played 2 versions, but not for years, and I have found memories.

1. Can I take over a country, oh, say Canada, and by having better then expected results, improve the level of players being generated for Canada. Gradual, and realistic improvement is what I'm hoping for.....

2. What would the essential downloads be to accompany the game... Logos, uniforms, faces? Where's the best place to get them. Doing a quick google search, I was overwhelmed, and was hoping to use what the consensus thinks is best.

Thanks
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #209
McLovin
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
I'm thinking of picking this up, I've played 2 versions, but not for years, and I have found memories.

1. Can I take over a country, oh, say Canada, and by having better then expected results, improve the level of players being generated for Canada. Gradual, and realistic improvement is what I'm hoping for.....

2. What would the essential downloads be to accompany the game... Logos, uniforms, faces? Where's the best place to get them. Doing a quick google search, I was overwhelmed, and was hoping to use what the consensus thinks is best.

Thanks
1.- I don't know

2.- Sortitouts.

sortitoutsi - Update Football Manager with Graphics, Player Faces, Kits, Logos and Data Updates

Last edited by McLovin : 10-31-2013 at 11:29 AM.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:26 AM   #210
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post

Yes, but it will be gradual, as in real life.
flere-imsaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #211
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Yes, but it will be gradual, as in real life.

Great, thank you, that's really impressive!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #212
kmbgolf
n00b

there in ther 20 s
kmbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:41 PM   #213
MrBug708
Head Coach

When is the transfer date?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #214
TroyF
Coordinator

So I start up a new Arsenal career post patch. I sign a CB for the future and Honda on a free and play with 4 in the back, 1 DMC to the left of center and one MC to the right of center along with the three attacking mids and striker.

Similar to the real Arsenal team, my early season schedule has been weak with my only two difficult games coming at home. I sit at 12 wins, 1 draw, no losses right now.

I just finished playing ManU at home. They started with a Van Persie goal in the first 2 minutes of the game. I outshoot them 39-12 the rest of the way and get the game winner from Walcott in extra time. I hadn't paid a ton of attention to the table because of so many easy ones.

Well, ManU sit 13th in the table with 16 points from 13 games. 3 wins, 7 draws, 3 losses. After the game, they decide they had enough of Moyes and fire him. Villa-Boras states to the press he wants the job and the Tottenham board get royally pissed at him. They sit in third place right now. Suddenly the entire EPL is in major flux. Crazy start to the career.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #215
bhlloy
Coordinator

Funnily enough, if Moyes wasn't going to get a couple of seasons as Ferguson's protege no matter what, I could absolutely see that happening IRL after Christmas.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #216
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
After the game, they decide they had enough of Moyes and fire him. Villa-Boras states to the press he wants the job and the Tottenham board get royally pissed at him. They sit in third place right now. Suddenly the entire EPL is in major flux. Crazy start to the career.

FWIW its one of my biggest complaints about the game to myself, the whole management system seems jacked wherein everyone is close to being fired or fired all of the time.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #217
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
FWIW its one of my biggest complaints about the game to myself, the whole management system seems jacked wherein everyone is close to being fired or fired all of the time.

List of English Football League managers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #218
Flasch186
Coordinator

Wow, guess I didnt know. Thats pretty frickin enlightening.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #219
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I pressed "pause" on my Juventus game with the beta after hearing about the Italian-staff-signing bug, but restarted it with the full version once that was fixed.

Just finished the 2nd season. Again, Scudetto (this time with like 5 games to go), although I didn't lead post-to-post, and actually was as far down as 4th after matchday 13 and didn't lead until after matchday 24. Inter were right on my heels virtually the whole way and moved up into 2nd place as Fiorentina (who went unbeaten in the league until I beat them 2-0 on February 11th to swing the race) faded to ultimately end up 4th.

Also won the Italian Cup with a 3-2 victory (sounds closer than it was - they scored twice late) over Sampdoria, who finished in 3rd place in Serie A.

Knocked out of the CL in the QFs after a tough 3-2 aggregate loss to Bayern Munich where they scored the last goal in the 102nd minute of extra time. David fucking Alaba.

Players brought in:
Doria (DC from Benfica) - $9.75m. Was supposed to be a backup, and as a 19 year-old, a long-term project, but he wonderkidded and turned into a starter.
Alvaro Negredo (ST from Man City) - Free. Rotation option at striker.
Victor Valdes (GK from Barca) - Free. Short-term solution (3-4 years) to replace Buffon, who I felt was slipping.
Tin Jedvaj (DC from Roma) - $10.75m. Loaned back to Roma for the year. Future DC stud, at 19 is already 13/15/15 on marking/tackling/positioning, with a 15/15 on teamwork/workrate, and solid mid-double-digits across all physical and mental (bar creativity).
Omar Kebbabi (DR from PSG) - $6m. Yes I paid $6m for a 16 year old defender from PSG. Why? Because he's already a 10 on crossing, 11 on dribbling, 15 on passing, a 10 on tackling, an 11 on positioning, a 19 on work rate, an 18 on determination, and a 17/16 on Pace/Stamina. Future 5-star wingback in the making! The beginnings of my "youth movement."
Ignacio Scocco (ST from Internacional) - $750k. Backup option at striker in the midyear window.
Giliano Wijnaldum (WB from Groningen) - $850k. Backup at both WB spots in the midyear transfer window.
Jonathan (WB from Inter) - $1.6m. Another backup option at WB.
Samuel Eto'o (ST) - Free. Added in late March on a relatively cheap multiyear deal to provide backup/rotation option at ST.

Coming in July
Ignacio Camacho (MC from Malaga) - Free. Backup/fringe rotation option in MC/DMC.
Lorenzo Pezzi (ST from Fiorentina) - $7m. Probably overpaid a bit for this 17 year old Italian striker from Fiorentina, but he does have a 13 on finishing and a 12 on composure already, with an 18 in determination and 11 in off the ball. Projects to be a 4-star prospect. Normally I wouldn't have paid this much, and I'm already regretting it a bit, but Fiorentina were ahead of me in the table at the time so it was an anger-purchase in part too.

Players Out
Giovinco (ST/AMC to Zenit) - $10.75m. Just couldn't bust into the team ahead of Cardozo and with Negrado coming in on a free I wanted the money to outright buy Isla and bring in Doria.
Mirko Vucinic (ST to Atletico) - $4.3m. This was almost more about clearing payroll space (his $7m) so I could bring in Victor Valdes then it was about getting rid of Mirko.
Simone Padoin (MC to Inter) - $1.5m. Surplus to requirements.
Jelle Vossen (ST to Atalanta) - $4.8m. Never cracked the rotation, though I'm always seduced by his apparent skill.
Osvaldo (ST to Catania) - $14m. Never managed to beat out Negrado for a strong rotation spot (also probably my fault as manager to be really honest), and requested a transfer. I ended up paying $2.25m in transfer costs, plus his salary, for 1 goal and 3 assists over 5 matches. Definitely a failure of a transfer - particularly considering he put up 8 goals and 5 assists for Catania in 20 matches after being sold.
Federico Peluso (WB to Atalanta) - $1.5m. Surplus to requirements as Wijnaldum played well in his limited appearances, was playing well, but felt he deserved a shot at more playing time.

Yes I'm carrying $17m in goalie salaries. Yes, that's absurd. One of those two has to go.
On the plus side, doing my season review:

Of all players owned by me, two who did not play for me last year Gabbiadini (co-owned by Sampdoria) and Tomer Hemed (bought for $1.8m and loaned right back to Lazio for the year), outscored all of my strikers. A third, Simone Zaza (co-owned by Sassuolo) equaled Llorente for 4th place. So I think there's some pruning that can be done in my striking ranks, where Tevez and Llorente together make $18m/yr also. In contrast, the other 3 who outscored the two of them by like 2-1 make a combined $7m or so. Negrado also makes $7m as a rotation option.

I'd like to cut down my payroll to give me added flexability, so this is perhaps an area that's ripe for trimming.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-05-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #220
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post

/agree

I'm not playing 2014 (I'm still playing 2012), but even wildly successful managers seem perpetually on the edge.

I took Birmingham from the relegation league back up to Premiership - no small task. Due to some very fortunate young pickups who matured into great players, I won the Premiership three years later. I also won virtually everything else and topped 90% on the board approval. Yet for some reason they waited until a month before my contract was up to offer me a new one. Weird...

...but given this Birmingham dynasty I have going on, I can't imagine picking up 2014 anyway. I have so many very good and very young players it's scary. I'm in the process of winning the Premiership for the third year in a row. Give that up to start again? HELL NO!!!

Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #221
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Someday when I can play and keep my league structures from year to year...it'll be nice. I've had less and less fun playing because I want to tweak things so heavily. I'll eventually upgrade, as I tend to, but...not for a while. I barely played 13 at all.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #222
TroyF
Coordinator

So I finished the year out. Hiddik took the ManU job, Villas Boras is hanging on by a thread after getting 4th. Chelsea was neck and neck with me all season before losing their last 5 games and handing me the title. (I would have won it anyway, but it'd have been a lot closer)

I ended up going out in the first knockout round to Bayren. I beat them 1-0 at home, they beat me 2-0 away, with the goal coming in the 89th minute.

I made it to the semi's of the FA cup only to be smacked hard by Newcastle. They beat my first team like a drum 4-1. Here is my transfer round up thus far:

IN:

Shaw LB - 26 million (dollars, not pounds)
Bender DMC - 30 million
Akeenfiv GK - free (contract ran out)

56 million total

OUT:

Monreal LB - 13.75 million
Diaby - MC - 4 million
Poldoski - 4 million (he just doesn't fit with what I want to do and he's signed for 8 million a year)
Djourou - 2.5 million
Flamini - 3.5 million

27.75 million

I still have over 50 million in transfer money left, but I'm happy with where I am now. My current lineup:

GK - Sczezny - Akeenfiv - Fabianski
DC - Kociensky - Mertesacker - Vermalean - Balata
DR - Sagna - Jenkinson
DL - Gibbs - Shaw
DMC - Bender - Arteta
MC - Ramsey - Honda
AMR - Walcott - Chamberlain
AMC - Ozil - Wilshire
AML - Cazorla - Vela
ST - Giroud - Sanago

A few kids filling out the roster and I'll probably sign a backup striker or MC/AMC type guy and move Vela to backup striker.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #223
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Just added a beta version of my American Premier League file to Steam Workshop.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=192516075

Description:

This is a first version of the American Premier League file: (make sure to start in January 2013 if you want to start as an American Team:

Features:

A 20 team American Premier League (featuring 19 MLS clubs, and a fictional New York City FC, based on the Expansion team coming to MLS in 2015)

A 20 team American First Division, featuring 20 of the 21 USL Pro and NASL teams (Phoenix FC dropped to the 2nd division, as they were denied a license to compete in USL Pro next year)

A 24 team American Second Division, featuring 24 lower American Divsion teams.

A 64 team US Open Cup.

In the APL, there's guaranteed TV money and prize money, in the first and second division, it's all based on wins and losses (you receive a guaranteed amount even if you lose, but you earn more if you win)

Click "Add players to playable teams" when starting a game.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 11-06-2013 at 01:26 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #224
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

draft + FA, or just FA?
Old 11-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #225
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

FA, there's no way to do a draft in a modified league, unfortunately.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #226
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
FA, there's no way to do a draft in a modified league, unfortunately.

Cool.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:55 AM   #227
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Note the updated file, I accidentally deleted the file when I wanted to update it.

(fixed a bug with NYC FC's reputation)
Old 11-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #228
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Excited to get this tomorrow after reading all this. Definitely going to battle bravely against relegation with Crystal Palace.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #229
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Just added a beta version of my American Premier League file to Steam Workshop.

Steam Workshop :: American Premier League 0.1

Description:

This is a first version of the American Premier League file: (make sure to start in January 2013 if you want to start as an American Team:

Features:

A 20 team American Premier League (featuring 19 MLS clubs, and a fictional New York City FC, based on the Expansion team coming to MLS in 2015)

A 20 team American First Division, featuring 20 of the 21 USL Pro and NASL teams (Phoenix FC dropped to the 2nd division, as they were denied a license to compete in USL Pro next year)

A 24 team American Second Division, featuring 24 lower American Divsion teams.

A 64 team US Open Cup.

In the APL, there's guaranteed TV money and prize money, in the first and second division, it's all based on wins and losses (you receive a guaranteed amount even if you lose, but you earn more if you win)

Click "Add players to playable teams" when starting a game.

Hmm..
Old 11-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #230
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

The conundrum I'm facing.

31 year old Carlos Tevez wants a 3 year contract (carrying him thru age 34) at $10.75m/yr. He's still my second best striker, but only by a hair, and I have a huge transfer kitty (in the neighborhood of $90m this offseason, with which I need to replace him and find an heir for Buffon).

Do i want to be paying a 34 year old Tevez almost $11m/yr? Or do I try to find a younger replacement who is 85-90% of him?

Man - when I type it out it seems obvious that I should let him walk when his contract is up.

Also - letting Victor Valdes go is going to save me some nice $ that I can put towards Buffon's eventual heir as well (once I identify who the hell that is. I've used ter Stegen and Neuer in past games, but we'll see this time around - ter Stegen is already @ Barca having replaced Valdes).

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-07-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #231
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
The conundrum I'm facing.

31 year old Carlos Tevez wants a 3 year contract (carrying him thru age 34) at $10.75m/yr. He's still my second best striker, but only by a hair, and I have a huge transfer kitty (in the neighborhood of $90m this offseason, with which I need to replace him and find an heir for Buffon).

Do i want to be paying a 34 year old Tevez almost $11m/yr? Or do I try to find a younger replacement who is 85-90% of him?

Man - when I type it out it seems obvious that I should let him walk when his contract is up.

Also - letting Victor Valdes go is going to save me some nice $ that I can put towards Buffon's eventual heir as well (once I identify who the hell that is. I've used ter Stegen and Neuer in past games, but we'll see this time around - ter Stegen is already @ Barca having replaced Valdes).

Tough one. Do you have enough wage budget to sign him, utilize your transfer budget to find his eventual replacement then move Tevez later? That way, you may be able to get something out of the deal rather than letting him walk for nothing.

Just a thought.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #232
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
Tough one. Do you have enough wage budget to sign him, utilize your transfer budget to find his eventual replacement then move Tevez later? That way, you may be able to get something out of the deal rather than letting him walk for nothing.

Just a thought.

Oh yeah, I have something like $100m in combined room between wage + transfer budgets for the coming year (although to be true to myself I should allocate at least 25% of that to buying youth players to begin my long-term planning to dominate the world). It's more just trying to be frugal/realistic in not wanting to give that kind of money to a striker at that age - and also not to "block" talented younger players.

But he's got 1 year left on his contract anyways, so I'm sort of leaning towards a "let him play it out while I look for his replacement this year" type of thing. He's not leaving in this offseason in other words, if I do nothing he'll leave NEXT offseason. I just generally have a policy of not letting players I want to keep go into the last year of their deal, but in this case it makes sense to let him do that I think.

Gabbiadini is a serviceable in-house replacement, and actually Luis Suarez may be viable for < $30m from Liverpool. Or I can keep looking for some amazing 19 and 20 year olds (always my preferred solution).

I don't like to throw my financial muscle around to sign in-prime stars, I prefer to use it to scoop up promising young players and groom them for career-long relationships with me.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #233
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Hmmmm - trying to decide if Luis Suarez is worth it. $38m, but that's only a $4.5m premium over his "value."

He's a better and more prolific dribbler than Tevez, which should theoretically make him a better fit for the Trequartista/False 9 type role in my system.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-07-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #234
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

What's the most you'd pay for a 16 year old 5-star prospect?

I think I'm crazy. Barca have this kid who I want (despite already having a 5-star striker prospect), and I'm seriously considering plunking down $17m for him.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #235
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
What's the most you'd pay for a 16 year old 5-star prospect?

I think I'm crazy. Barca have this kid who I want (despite already having a 5-star striker prospect), and I'm seriously considering plunking down $17m for him.

that isnt crazy if hes good right now and will get better. for that much though he better not have any flaws in his game. personally i wouldnt pay it but thats because im a cheap tight ass and no kid that good would ever come to me from Barca (little twirp)

can you post a pic?
Old 11-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #236
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
that isnt crazy if hes good right now and will get better. for that much though he better not have any flaws in his game. personally i wouldnt pay it but thats because im a cheap tight ass and no kid that good would ever come to me from Barca (little twirp)

can you post a pic?

He's not the best I've ever seen - he's got a couple holes in his game, that I guess hopefully I could train up. I'm probably better off holding onto the money and waiting till I find someone with fewer current flaws. In fact...yeah...I'm definitely better off waiting. Don't know what I was almost thinking...guess I just wanted to make a splash maybe. Got caught up in the moment. Pays to take a breath and think things through.

I like building through youth, so I'm willing to pay up for youth, but even that is a ton for me - particularly when I have a guy who is better - LOL. I'd rather spread that sort of money over say 3 guys or more, not ONE.

"Capture" is the Barca kid..."Capture 2" is the guy I have already (who was only $1.6m too...hehe)

Nothing better to me then finding the "next Messi" newgen. I've got a team full of 5-star newgens in FM13...I kind of want to go back and keep playing the career with them, because they just ROMP over everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (152.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg capture2.JPG (152.1 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-07-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #237
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Something I think I just discovered as a solution to my offensive woes while fiddling with team and player instructions.

It's greatly beneficial (especially in a possession-oriented system but I imagine in any, although maybe not to the same degree) to go in and give your strikers (and or other finishers) the individual instruction to shoot often.

I hadn't and was a bit offensively stymied, now I have and I've erupted for 4 goals in the first half already, with 10 shots (6 on target) and 2 goals for one of my strikers (the poacher).

Interestingly the other (the Complete Forward) has no shots on target and 2 assists, which might indicate having both set to "shoot often" doesn't work SO well, but we'll see.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #238
fortheglory
Mascot

How is Football Manager shaping up this year? Has anybody spent a significant amount of time with it? Is it worth the purchase?
fortheglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:15 AM   #239
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Something I think I just discovered as a solution to my offensive woes while fiddling with team and player instructions.

It's greatly beneficial (especially in a possession-oriented system but I imagine in any, although maybe not to the same degree) to go in and give your strikers (and or other finishers) the individual instruction to shoot often.

I hadn't and was a bit offensively stymied, now I have and I've erupted for 4 goals in the first half already, with 10 shots (6 on target) and 2 goals for one of my strikers (the poacher).

Interestingly the other (the Complete Forward) has no shots on target and 2 assists, which might indicate having both set to "shoot often" doesn't work SO well, but we'll see.

There's only enough shots to go around.. and I would expect the Poacher to shoot more per his role then a "complete" forward (which indicates his job is also to make attacking passes)
Old 11-16-2013, 12:49 AM   #240
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There's only enough shots to go around.. and I would expect the Poacher to shoot more per his role then a "complete" forward (which indicates his job is also to make attacking passes)

Yeah - but I'd like my complete forward to get at least a shot or two on target!
Old 11-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #241
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Sweet sweet loving with my Athletic Bilbao squad.

Inter Milan finished 2nd in Serie A last year. They got drawn into my CL group along with Chelski (yes I got Bilbao into the CL).

So of course - I get Inter in the first game of the group stage.

I just laid a 3-1 beating on them. Dominated possession 60%-40%. 8 shots on target to their 2. Mikel Arteta finished with 1 goal and 2 assists. They suffered because they were playing a 3-3-2-1-1, so lacked the width in midfield to counter the field-stretching that I brought on them in the middle of the park (as reflected by my 10% possession advantage in the middle third of the pitch).

Inter picked up a cheap PK-goal early, and then I got a makeup-PK goal. Scored my second in the 66th minute off a corner, and tucked away the third on a beautiful flowing team move to one of my overlapping wingers in the 94th minute.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #242
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
He's not the best I've ever seen - he's got a couple holes in his game, that I guess hopefully I could train up. I'm probably better off holding onto the money and waiting till I find someone with fewer current flaws. In fact...yeah...I'm definitely better off waiting. Don't know what I was almost thinking...guess I just wanted to make a splash maybe. Got caught up in the moment. Pays to take a breath and think things through.

I like building through youth, so I'm willing to pay up for youth, but even that is a ton for me - particularly when I have a guy who is better - LOL. I'd rather spread that sort of money over say 3 guys or more, not ONE.

"Capture" is the Barca kid..."Capture 2" is the guy I have already (who was only $1.6m too...hehe)

Nothing better to me then finding the "next Messi" newgen. I've got a team full of 5-star newgens in FM13...I kind of want to go back and keep playing the career with them, because they just ROMP over everyone.

8 pace! and they wanted 17 mill for a striker with 8 pace! even if you specifically train up speed he will at best be 13 if he has lots of potential. yes dont buy him
Old 11-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #243
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
8 pace! and they wanted 17 mill for a striker with 8 pace! even if you specifically train up speed he will at best be 13 if he has lots of potential. yes dont buy him

Yeah - I held off.

He's tearing it up for Barca's B-team though.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-16-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:14 AM   #244
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

8 games into the season - tied for first place on points, behind Barca thanks to their massive goal differential (they're a +26 already).

6pts clear of Madrid with the same number of matches played.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BEATMADRID.JPG (144.7 KB, 199 views)
Old 11-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #245
TroyF
Coordinator

In my fourth year with Arsenal now and having the most successful stretch I have ever had. 30 competitive games without conceding more than one goal. Lost one game in the stretch (obviously 1-0) Still, I'm only up a point in the EPL over Chelsea and ManCity and have a tough CL draw in the quarters.

It's about time to start managing a lower league club.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #246
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I am pretty much awful at this game. So I decided to challenge myself and start with DC United and maybe work into a European job.

My season starts 0-3-1 and my untalented roster is dropping like flies. I am getting outshot around 28-12 per game so obviously my tactics arent clicking either.

I figured since I see so many success stories with people and their teams I would throw out what would appear to be an unsuccessful one I actually see not much hope for this season anyway. I have decent defenders but my forwards and midfielders arent even MLS level. Losing Pontius for 2-3 months makes this an even larger problem.

Atleast my team is young.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #247
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I am pretty much awful at this game. So I decided to challenge myself and start with DC United and maybe work into a European job.

My season starts 0-3-1 and my untalented roster is dropping like flies. I am getting outshot around 28-12 per game so obviously my tactics arent clicking either.

I figured since I see so many success stories with people and their teams I would throw out what would appear to be an unsuccessful one I actually see not much hope for this season anyway. I have decent defenders but my forwards and midfielders arent even MLS level. Losing Pontius for 2-3 months makes this an even larger problem.

thats nothing! i took over NY Redbulls and had a subpar roster, young and talented, but not great. they finished dead last the season before so you know what i was getting into, and they had 2 DP goalkeepers. i started the season i think 1-1-16 and got fired. that was like 4 seasons ago, and they still havnt made the playoffs since i left.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #248
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post

I failed miserably trying to save Hinckley from dropping out of the BSN with their 3-point penalty and $465/wk TOTAL wage budget (FM 13). Fired with ~10 matches left in the season after clinching relegation with fewer than 20 points in 30+ matches.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #249
MrBug708
Head Coach

The learning curve is a steep but fun challenge. I'm waiting for the half off discount before moving on this edition
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #250
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I'm waiting for the half off discount before moving on this edition

Holiday Sale FTW! (me too)
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote