Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2020, 05:38 PM   #1
PilotMan
Head Coach

The Mental Health Thread

I know we need this. I need this. Feeling a great deal of anxiety about a lot of things that are out of my control right now. I was in a pretty good place a few weeks ago, but the ever increasing stress of a multitude of things going on is eating away at my insides. So much stuff rattling around in my brain and know where my outlook should be, but it's difficult to focus.

I know we are way better off than a great number of people, so this isn't just about paying bills. It's about family members dying, stupid neighbors, people with too much time on their hands, and the grocery store not having any of the food that my wife can eat. It's about job security and being tired just seeing everyone around me be completely stressed out too. It's mostly about not knowing and not having any real control over the stuff I do know.

You know you need to vent too.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:49 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This whole situation is fucked and an embarrassment.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:59 PM   #3
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I think we all need it in this time.

One of my favorite science fiction writers/humorists, Spider Robinson has a series of rollicking tales about a tavern secretly setup by a time traveler (the Callahan's Crosstime Saloon series). And he has two quotes that really sum up to me what we should all be doing in this time of crisis.

“Just as there are laws of Conservation of Matter and Energy, so there are in fact Laws of Conservation of Pain and Joy. Neither can ever be created or destroyed. But one can be converted into the other.”

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased—thus do we refute entropy."

I had a friend of mine reach out to me after my last post in poll 8 thread, and they told me that I shouldn't feel bad about sharing stress or things that are causing me pain.. it's natural, and it helps.

So yes, share your worries, share your pain, and share your happiness, share your joy. Don't feel bad about your fears, about going out, whatever. They are valid.. And sharing them with us is one of the most important things you can do for everyone else here.

Or put another way, United we stand. Divided we fall.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:12 PM   #4
thesloppy
Pro Starter

For sure, I am bipolar II (which if you're not familiar is like bipolar, but with a lot less mania and more depression) so I have a tough time managing my mood in 'normal' times. I also got laid off just at the beginning of March too, so it's been tough times for me, but I've actually been relatively better for the past couple days as things get more routine. And this place has been a comfort for me.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:41 PM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Man I feel for you guys, this really can't be easy on so many levels for so many people. It is hard to have so many things out of control spinning around you. I've been drinking way more, likely as a coping mechanism. I have the usual fears, getting sick and not being able to get care, loved ones getting sick, my wife and I both getting sick with 2 kids to take care of.

We are really lucky from a logistics standpoint. My wife already works from home in a pretty recession proof industry, we have savings, and I am a stay at home dad so I can focus on schooling etc...

My biggest fear is the unknown. When will it end and what will the world look like after.

I'm hear for any of you if you need to talk on facebook or wherever.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:57 AM   #6
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Business as usual here. I respond to hospitals to investigate overdoses. In the last 2 weeks, a gang feud has reached its boiling point and we are the ones that are tasked to do deal with it. So search warrants over and over. 40+ guns in the last week, of course everyone gets a bond. So next week will be more of the same. 18 hour days, we've run out of PPE, no hazard pay. People like to cough on us and pretend (I hope) they have coronavirus. It's a ton of fun. I've accepted I'm getting this, hopefully my kid doesn't, and if she does hopefully she rocks through it.

Last edited by illinifan999 : 03-28-2020 at 12:58 AM.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:03 AM   #7
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
Business as usual here. I respond to hospitals to investigate overdoses. In the last 2 weeks, a gang feud has reached its boiling point and we are the ones that are tasked to do deal with it. So search warrants over and over. 40+ guns in the last week, of course everyone gets a bond. So next week will be more of the same. 18 hour days, we've run out of PPE, no hazard pay. People like to cough on us and pretend (I hope) they have coronavirus. It's a ton of fun.

I appreciate that you are out there, for what little that is worth. I've seen a few of those stories about people coughing/spitting on police and other public service workers, what assholes. It sucks that all of our individual public service workers are going to have to carry so much weight through all of this, and likely won't see much of a reward.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:05 AM   #8
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
People like to cough on us and pretend (I hope) they have coronavirus.

That's being charged as a crime in many states, and the UK.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:34 AM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

In the spirit of the o.p., I feel like whatever shit -- regardless of size -- is stressing your ass is fair game .... so I definitely got one today.

Through this whole thing, I've been increasingly steadily depressed, my outlook has gotten steadily darker, yada yada. But today was a different thing, very specific to the point that I was actually able to put my finger on it: a state of constant agitation.

I've done all but one of the supply runs for the household since this began (with a 91 y/o mother-in-law and a wife missing most of a lung, my chainsmoking self IS the least vulnerable option), and that's cool by me. (I mention that just to explain why I'm the guy doing all the runs AND why I have a fair sample size to compare today to)

What was new today, versus any previous outing, was a steadily growing sense of agitation while out. With a little thought, I caught what was doing it:

the sense of dread, of seeing what the fuck was missing from the shelves THIS time, each time I turned a corner or changed aisles. "Death by a hundred papercuts" was how I described it to one friend.

And being constantly agitated, right on edge, is fucking exhausting. Mentally, physically, and emotionally. And exhaustion feeds agitation & all the other emotions. And that's a nasty treadmill.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-28-2020 at 01:35 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:37 AM   #10
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And being constantly agitated, right on edge, is fucking exhausting. Mentally, physically, and emotionally. And exhaustion feeds agitation & all the other emotions. And that's a nasty treadmill.

Well said.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:44 AM   #11
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I appreciate that you are out there, for what little that is worth. I've seen a few of those stories about people coughing/spitting on police and other public service workers, what assholes. It sucks that all of our individual public service workers are going to have to carry so much weight through all of this, and likely won't see much of a reward.

For what it's worth. Many of the cops I know have the thought of "fuck this, fuck these people, they get what they get", but then they ignore that and they go out and do their job. Edit: It's also how it was before this though to be fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
That's being charged as a crime in many states, and the UK.

Charging is nice and all. But people get bonded out before you even leave the jail, and then the judges give 30 days in jail with 30 days suspended upon good behavior that will be re-suspended when they violate good behavior, it becomes not worth the use of force report, the incident report, the arrest report, and the followup use of force investigation.

Last edited by illinifan999 : 03-28-2020 at 01:45 AM.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:56 AM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Well said.

From your previous post, I know you understand exactly what I was saying. and how much hamster wheels suck.

I appreciate that. I fucking hate it that you know ... but I appreciate that it made sense to at least one person. (the whole "if you're the last sane person you know ..." conundrum and all)
Old 03-28-2020, 02:12 AM   #13
Radii
Head Coach

On the day to day of things I've been doing pretty well. I'm definitely an introvert, already worked at home, almost my entire circle of friends is online, so this isn't really a dramatic shift for me like it is for many. Because I was concerned about where this was going very early on, I was able to make a few small orders off amazon pantry before it went to hell, and one grocery run on top of that has me set for weeks still.

I am likely more worried about catching it than I probably should be. I'm only 43 but diabetic and not doing well with it, and I'm in terrible shape. So I know I'm higher risk of a severe case if i catch it, but its very hard in my brain to not think "if i get it I will end up in the ICU, 100%". I know that's not true, but there's an irrational anxiety there.

The worst thing for me is that for the past ~15 months I've been dealing with some pretty severe mental health issues - mostly depression/severe anxiety. I started seeing a psychiatrist and working with medication for the first time in my life, and much of it has gone extremely poorly. I had two different stretches last year where I didn't leave the house for about 10 weeks, and while i'm an introvert, i'm not that kind of an introvert, I was just super fucked up. I had two months where I had to get my manager involved and update him on these issues because I was struggling to do my job at all and needed to make sure I could avoid a situation where I might get fired. I was prepared to use all of my vacation time because I just wasn't working.

In February we decided that I should probably find a new local psychiatrist (was seeing one via telemedicine in Raleigh that works with my psychologist) and need to start seriously considering more aggressive treatments, one of which might have me taking half days off work every day for 6 weeks for some "intensive outpatient" program.

And now, thanks to coronavirus, any new steps and attempts at progress are indefinitely on hold. I bounced back from the whole "unable to do my job" thing but its still a large struggle and everything but work is still in complete shambles. So the idea of however many weeks or months before being willing to go to a local medical office or treatment center is 100% necessary, but incredibly disheartening.

Despite all that, I'm actually doing okay'ish right now, given the circumstances, since my day to day changed so little, but I am wondering how long I can go in a pretty shitty state without even being able to try something new before that starts seriously weighing me down.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 03:48 AM   #14
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I know we need this. I need this. Feeling a great deal of anxiety about a lot of things that are out of my control right now. I was in a pretty good place a few weeks ago, but the ever increasing stress of a multitude of things going on is eating away at my insides. So much stuff rattling around in my brain and know where my outlook should be, but it's difficult to focus.

I know we are way better off than a great number of people, so this isn't just about paying bills. It's about family members dying, stupid neighbors, people with too much time on their hands, and the grocery store not having any of the food that my wife can eat. It's about job security and being tired just seeing everyone around me be completely stressed out too. It's mostly about not knowing and not having any real control over the stuff I do know.

You know you need to vent too.

This doesn’t cover everything you mentioned, but maybe something like this could help?

Focus on what you can control, and try to block out those that you can’t so you at least reduce stress. Everybody’s list will vary, but from what you’ve posted, try to ignore your neighbours and stupid people with too much time on their hands.

AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:24 AM   #15
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
This doesn’t cover everything you mentioned, but maybe something like this could help?

Focus on what you can control, and try to block out those that you can’t so you at least reduce stress. Everybody’s list will vary, but from what you’ve posted, try to ignore your neighbours and stupid people with too much time on their hands.

Yeah I know it is A LOT easier said than done but this is the key. Trump sucks, but nothing people post about on twitter or here is going to change that and sometimes I feel like TDS is a real thing. And I don't mean that in the insulting way that Trump supporters use the term, I just mean I see normal members of FOFC going down a dark hole and posting every couple minutes about what he is doing wrong. Unless you are a high level member of government you aren't going to change anything (and it's questionable whether they have much power either) and you are definitely stressing yourself out and might be making yourself sick.

Here's where I come from, if you look back at some of the political threads from 2006ish-2012 and check the post count for each thread you will always see panerd up near the top. Guess what impact I made on the way our government works, the way the electorate works, hell just the way human nature works? Sometimes its fun to discuss and debate and sometimes even just to vent but if you are feeling really stressed I would say that would be the #1 thing to take out of your diet. COVID is going to kill at the same rate, the mass media is going to over dramatize certain angles like the case count, and the end will come at some point whether you post 10 times or 1000 times and it will be the exact same end.

And to prepare you ahead of time (as someone who is definitely voting Biden) if this ends up having a low death rate (it looks very possible) and the economy semi-recovers (it looks very possible) Trump is likely going to get reelected for 4 more years. I know it seems like on here his approval rating is close to 0% but that doesn't really jibe with reality. On this one I would definitely say to volunteer and talk about his ills and do all you can be again in the end you just don't control as much as you think.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:37 AM   #16
Edward64
Head Coach

In some ways to me the Great Recession was more of a stressor than this pandemic. Lots of reasons why but the one thing I very much worry about are my kids. My wife and I can pretty much survive anything, death of each other, death of relatives, job loss, big medical bills etc.

But I don't think I will do well if my kids are hurt bad from this (and I know the odds are against that so that helps).

Not a therapist but how I deal with it is think in terms of worse case(s). Thinking through them and what will happen lets me act on contingency, mitigation (if not too late already) and then accept the worse case. I've found this gives me peace of mind (other than my kids being hurt bad from this).

Best wishes to everyone dealing with this and all the pressures you are feeling.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-28-2020 at 08:47 AM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:42 AM   #17
tarcone
Coordinator

I have that slight feeling of whatever it is in my stomach. That feeling of not quite nausea. That is always there. Like that feeling you get when you buy something and instantly regret it. I sleep more and am tired a lot of the time.
I got very anxious the other day at Wal Mart. And now I think i am staying home and letting my wife go out and get what we need as I have the underlying condition. Though I read that since it is well controlled I should have no problems if I get the virus. But still, what if?

It is truly exhausting.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:04 AM   #18
PilotMan
Head Coach

I have a friend who is going through some tough times, and he keeps wanting to hang out for his own support and sanity and I keep blowing him off. I apologized, and told him I just don't want to be around anyone right now, except my little family bubble. Any sort of face to face, human interaction right now, other than being home, or heading off to work, seems like overload and I'd rather avoid it. So I'm pleasantly content here, but I know that I am doing him a disservice and being a shitty friend as a result.

For once, I agree with Jon. You summed up my feelings. It's just a general rise of agitation and frustration. Over the last 24-48 hours we've at least gotten some guidance and the next few months anyway look to have some level of stability, but what happens when that wears off? Not good things, I can tell you that.

I'm worn out. I'm worn out by the responsibility for other peoples messes, and bullshit. So sick of trump's utter bullshit.

My dad's brother died this morning. I have a very small family. Three uncles, four first cousins, and none of us live near one another. Didn't grow up together. But this man took time out of his life to come and visit with me and look out for me when I flew unaccompanied, as a little kid, through Minneapolis. He'd meet my plane, get me some food, visit, and I'd get to see two of my cousins. We would talk and then he would put me on the next plane. I thought that was so cool. As an adult, I think it was even more amazing. To give that time up. My dad and his brother are nearly polar opposites. It's hard to believe that they grew up together, and they were not close as adults. I haven't seen him in years, but he holds a special place in my heart. Not being able to go see the family or think about his funeral right now is frustrating.

I am paralyzed by a failure to commit to even menial activities which leaves me even more frustrated when I don't feel like I'm living life to the fullest. Ugh.....this shouldn't sound like a pity party. Life is good and I shouldn't be complaining at all. So, so, so many other things could be wrong and so, so, so many other people are struggling with so much more than I am today. Suck it up man, suck it up and get out of your head.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 03-28-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:18 AM   #19
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

It may be insane, but I don't care. I'm not concerned at all.

I still go into work (Pennsylvania) for a pharma company, I've managed to negotiate 1/2 days (6:30 AM to 10:30 AM). I'm up at 5, in work, and out of work before lunch, I don't go anywhere else. I wear gloves, I used to be fully gowned in another job, so aseptic technique is ingrained in me.

The kids all are all, my oldest is 19, bored, but doing virtual college. Her girlfriend lives with us too (same college, roomies). They're good and responsible. The gf is more reserved. She just lost two jobs, while my daughter lost one. But they have their own laptops and an xbox one to keep them occupied.

The eight year old is enamored with switch and Minecraft, so aside from the virtual schooling, he's self-sustained.

The four year old can be a handle, but we have a finished basement, and a boatload of toys to keep him occupied.

My wife works from home, so the situation hasn't changed for her.

My parents made it back from Hawaii, and haven't exhibited any symptoms. They are staying in even though they're fox news dummies.

I hate the president and the majority of republicans who I hold blame for letting this situation get out of control.

Still, I'm fully stocked, we have internet, and heat. And if we didn't have internet, we have movies and games.

I've been through the HIV/AIDS scare, I've been through 9/11. I know it's only a matter of time before one of us in the household could get it. We'll have to manage. We have a spare room for isolation if need be.

My biggest concern is that my daughter who is not of my blood, but my wife and I have taken care of her full time from the age of 13 (I dated a pregnant woman and raised the daughter as my own; the relationship didn't take but my daughter and I have stuck together).

My daughter filed taxes; my ex-gf wanted to claim her as a dependent. My daughter refused, so my ex and her husband have now taken her off their insurance. So she has no insurance now; I'm working with a lawyer (hopefully) to adopt her. She's applying for CHIP since she's still eligible at 19, but even that didn't phase me. We had a long-term goal of adopting her, we were going to do it sooner but the ex agreed to her college loans but now they're ceasing that.

All in all, stay low, stay apart and stay calm. I've got like 100 steam games to play, 3 guitars a drum set and an ipad to keep me occupied. It's an introvert's dream.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:11 PM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
In some ways to me the Great Recession was more of a stressor than this pandemic.

This for me, to infinity.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:22 PM   #21
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'm feeling grateful and guilty at the same time that I have not yet been put in a point more severe than mildly depressed over any of this. Condolences to the many here and elsewhere for whom that is sadly not the case.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:27 PM   #22
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
My dad's brother died this morning. I have a very small family. Three uncles, four first cousins, and none of us live near one another. Didn't grow up together. But this man took time out of his life to come and visit with me and look out for me when I flew unaccompanied, as a little kid, through Minneapolis. He'd meet my plane, get me some food, visit, and I'd get to see two of my cousins. We would talk and then he would put me on the next plane. I thought that was so cool. As an adult, I think it was even more amazing. To give that time up. My dad and his brother are nearly polar opposites. It's hard to believe that they grew up together, and they were not close as adults. I haven't seen him in years, but he holds a special place in my heart. Not being able to go see the family or think about his funeral right now is frustrating.

That sucks. So sorry, PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:27 PM   #23
Ironhead
College Prospect

My wife and I are very lucky. We both already work from home and already live a fairly simple, hermit-ish lifestyle. So our day-to-day life is not impacted much. We don't have kids so that is a load of worry that we don't have to face.

I am generally speaking not a huge worrier. My wife is a worrier and the longer this carries on the more I will become concerned about her mental health. She is definitely the kind of person who gets a cut outside and is immediately 100% certain they will get tetanus. If some people worry about the economy going through a drawn out depression she will take it to the next level and worry that the entire worldwide economy will collapse and we will go into a Mad Max-esque existence.

With that said, the biggest source of daily stress for both of us easily comes from my wife's family:

a) her oldest brother (early 60s) who suffers from mental illness and substance abuse. At this point he is completely incapable of functioning as an adult and is not well connected to reality. He is belligerent and cannot be reasoned with and can be violent. He isn't following the shelter in place order which means he is putting other members of the family at risk - especially his brother who he lives with who has health issues.

b) her other brother (late 50s) who's body is falling apart after 30+ years working as a waiter. He has nothing to his name due to years of gambling addiction that left him badly in debt and required him to declare bankruptcy last year.

My wife's parents enabled her brothers so badly that they never had any reason to deal with their issues. Both spent large portions of their adult life living at home. Ever since the last of my wife's parents passed away at end of 2018 the whole ball of yarn is coming unraveled. The two of them are living together in their parent's family home while trying to get by on a combined income of about ~$800 a month. They genuinely despise each other while at the same time not being able to survive without one another. Given the history of enabling and "non-adulting" they now turn to us as stand ins for their parents. We help them as we are able while trying not to get sucked too deep into their vortex but the emotional toll is there. There is 100% a real concern that one day we will be faced with a decision of 1) taking them in or 2) seeing them go homeless. I have suggested to my wife that we find a counselor who can help us prepare for this ahead of time so that if and when the time comes the stress of it doesn't tear us apart.

c) her niece (late 20s) who has two young kids. She is slowly becoming a little more responsible but still refuses to learn how to drive and get a license. Her boyfriend can't drive either due to a suspended license so they rely entirely on others. We warned them before the shelter in place order that we were taking the pandemic seriously and would not be leaving the house for a long time. They did not heed that warning and keep calling other family members expecting to be taken places (food shopping, entertain the kids, etc...). If that isn't bad enough two days ago the father of her oldest child died at 28 years old (liver failure, drank himself to death). Because they haven't been following the shelter in place orders we didn't feel comfortable going to seeing them.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 02:48 PM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'ma add one that I suspect will be relateable for some here.

You'd think that the current situation would be great for gaming productivity. Instead I find myself with too short an attention span / concentration ability to get even a normal amount of gaming done.

Which kinda sucks.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #25
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

You'd think that the current situation would be great for gaming productivity. Instead I find myself with too short an attention span / concentration ability to get even a normal amount of gaming done.

Which kinda sucks.

Don't have that problem. I find myself playing the good old standbys Civ 6, Stellaris and FO76, and telling myself I should try/revisit other games in my library.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:47 PM   #26
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
My wife and I are very lucky. We both already work from home and already live a fairly simple, hermit-ish lifestyle. So our day-to-day life is not impacted much. We don't have kids so that is a load of worry that we don't have to face.

I am generally speaking not a huge worrier. My wife is a worrier and the longer this carries on the more I will become concerned about her mental health. She is definitely the kind of person who gets a cut outside and is immediately 100% certain they will get tetanus. If some people worry about the economy going through a drawn out depression she will take it to the next level and worry that the entire worldwide economy will collapse and we will go into a Mad Max-esque existence.

With that said, the biggest source of daily stress for both of us easily comes from my wife's family:

a) her oldest brother (early 60s) who suffers from mental illness and substance abuse. At this point he is completely incapable of functioning as an adult and is not well connected to reality. He is belligerent and cannot be reasoned with and can be violent. He isn't following the shelter in place order which means he is putting other members of the family at risk - especially his brother who he lives with who has health issues.

b) her other brother (late 50s) who's body is falling apart after 30+ years working as a waiter. He has nothing to his name due to years of gambling addiction that left him badly in debt and required him to declare bankruptcy last year.

My wife's parents enabled her brothers so badly that they never had any reason to deal with their issues. Both spent large portions of their adult life living at home. Ever since the last of my wife's parents passed away at end of 2018 the whole ball of yarn is coming unraveled. The two of them are living together in their parent's family home while trying to get by on a combined income of about ~$800 a month. They genuinely despise each other while at the same time not being able to survive without one another. Given the history of enabling and "non-adulting" they now turn to us as stand ins for their parents. We help them as we are able while trying not to get sucked too deep into their vortex but the emotional toll is there. There is 100% a real concern that one day we will be faced with a decision of 1) taking them in or 2) seeing them go homeless. I have suggested to my wife that we find a counselor who can help us prepare for this ahead of time so that if and when the time comes the stress of it doesn't tear us apart.

c) her niece (late 20s) who has two young kids. She is slowly becoming a little more responsible but still refuses to learn how to drive and get a license. Her boyfriend can't drive either due to a suspended license so they rely entirely on others. We warned them before the shelter in place order that we were taking the pandemic seriously and would not be leaving the house for a long time. They did not heed that warning and keep calling other family members expecting to be taken places (food shopping, entertain the kids, etc...). If that isn't bad enough two days ago the father of her oldest child died at 28 years old (liver failure, drank himself to death). Because they haven't been following the shelter in place orders we didn't feel comfortable going to seeing them.

Wow, sounds as if you have to deal with a lot of 'extended family' issues. Have problems with my own extended family but relatively minor compared to yours. Good luck to you and the missus.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:14 PM   #27
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

Which kinda sucks.

Yeah I related to this and a lot of your earlier posts as well. Definitely feeling pretty down these days. The grocery store is definitely depressing. I am also feeling the almost constant agitation, to the point that I think I've been a pretty crappy dad lately, losing my shit at the drop of a hat. Lack of work isn't helping, nothing focused to distract me and I find I lose myself for hours just reading Reddit threads and other wasted time, and when I pry myself away I'm just sad and/or agitated.

Something else troubling me is that my wife seems to be wanting to order out for food every second or third day, as she feels the need to support the local restaurants. Meanwhile I'm sort of freaking out about not being able to afford that sort of thing, but that I can't say anything because she's the one pulling in the money.

I keep hoping that things will change when I find work, but I'm also worried that may not happen for quite some time, at least not in the form I had hoped.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 04:15 PM   #28
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:

Which kinda sucks.
Yes. I dont have the attention span that i used too. I tried learning an new board game and got way too tired to read the rule.

Loaded up CIV 5, which I love, but got bored.

WTF?

Old 03-28-2020, 04:28 PM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Meanwhile I'm sort of freaking out about not being able to afford that sort of thing, but that I can't say anything because she's the one pulling in the money.

My turn to say "yeah, I can relate pretty hard" on that one.

Except here it ain't been takeout food ... it's several eBay/fashion vlogger/boutiques that she's decided to try to assure the financial stability of.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:43 PM   #30
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

If I showed you guys a picture of the delivery I go from the liquor/beer store today you would think I had a problem
Old 03-28-2020, 04:48 PM   #31
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
If I showed you guys a picture of the delivery I go from the liquor/beer store today you would think I had a problem

Going to admit what I did today. My chest and back were hurting around my lungs. Shit. Thats a sign right?

So I went and got some alcohol to combat the virus. Guess I will see if it worked tomorrow. Because, right now its working. I feel no pain.

And its only 5 pm CST. Do I have a problem or is alcohol the vaccine?

Old 03-28-2020, 04:51 PM   #32
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Going to admit what I did today. My chest and back were hurting around my lungs. Shit. Thats a sign right?

So I went and got some alcohol to combat the virus. Guess I will see if it worked tomorrow. Because, right now its working. I feel no pain.

And its only 5 pm CST. Do I have a problem or is alcohol the vaccine?

Better'n me. I'm sober and wish I wasn't. Only thing stopping me is, well, I know me. There are zero good outcomes if I drink in the mood I'm in, only widely varying degrees of bad ones.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:59 PM   #33
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

[IMG]IMG-6991[/IMG]
Old 03-28-2020, 05:03 PM   #34
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Not Corona. ANYTHING but Corona.

/sarcasm

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 03-28-2020 at 05:03 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:07 PM   #35
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post

/sarcasm

haha, that did not go unnoticed. It is actually mixed 6 packs of IPA and porter
Old 03-28-2020, 05:08 PM   #36
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post

/sarcasm

I thought the same about the Miller Lite

ETA:

Without the sarcasm

Last edited by NobodyHere : 03-28-2020 at 05:09 PM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:09 PM   #37
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I think there's a brand in Lathum's order to offend everybody!
Old 03-28-2020, 05:10 PM   #38
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Damn that Tito's is some popular shit. I've seen more pics of it in the past week than all other liquor combined.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:13 PM   #39
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post

foxes!!!!!!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:17 PM   #40
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Damn that Tito's is some popular shit. I've seen more pics of it in the past week than all other liquor combined.

Can you make hand sanitizer out of it?
Old 03-28-2020, 05:22 PM   #41
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Can you make hand sanitizer out of it?

BLASPHEMER !!!

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-28-2020 at 05:22 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:32 PM   #42
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Which kinda sucks.

I've had the same problem for the past few years. I can't seem to get into games anymore. I've thought it was a problem for sure. I just find other things to occupy my time instead of trying to learn something I'll just have to put down before I really get into it. Forget what I was doing the next time and repeat it all over again. Which makes me think I've checking that box; "doesn't find enjoyable things fun anymore" as a red flag, but I know it's my place in life too.

Like Steam?

Old 03-28-2020, 05:36 PM   #43
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I thought the same about the Miller Lite

ETA:

Without the sarcasm

It's the beer to drink when having more that 14

Quote:

Titos is great. Not as expensive as Gray Goose but easily comparable.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:40 PM   #44
tarcone
Coordinator

I find myself more emotional these days. Just saw a news story of a group singing at an assisted living home. All the old folks came out and listened. Brought a tear to my eyes.

Damn, people are generally good. Too bad it takes human suffering to bring it out. (I know thats not entirely true, but you get my drift)

Old 03-28-2020, 05:41 PM   #45
tarcone
Coordinator

And Lathum, I live Blue Moon. Its my go to always,

Old 03-28-2020, 05:59 PM   #46
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
It's the beer to drink when having more that 14

Titos is great. Not as expensive as Gray Goose but easily comparable.

I've heard Costco vodka is pretty good. Ever try it?

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-28-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:13 PM   #47
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I've heard Costco vodka is pretty good. Every that it?

No. They don't sell it there. In Jersey all alcohol must be purchased form a liquor store. Can't get it at gas stations or grocery stores.

It is most likely made by one of the big companies, Absolute or someone like that.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:20 PM   #48
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
On a side story, the guy that founded Tito's did it all himself, financing things with credit cards to get started. He never took in outside investors and still owns 100% of the company. Worth over $4 billion.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:59 PM   #49
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No. They don't sell it there. In Jersey all alcohol must be purchased form a liquor store. Can't get it at gas stations or grocery stores.

It is most likely made by one of the big companies, Absolute or someone like that.

Never knew this was a thing, but apparently it's a fairly big thing for people trying to guess.

Their Vodka has actually beaten Grey Goose in blind taste tests & does come from the same region as GG. The actual distiller has never been confirmed

Costco's Kirkland Brand Alcohol: Who Makes the Kirkland Brand Spirits? - Thrillist
Old 03-28-2020, 09:01 PM   #50
PilotMan
Head Coach

To complete this circle.

I started the thread.

I'm currently drinking vodka (not Tito's....but)

Therefore, people who need a mental health check in should probably consider Vodka.

Like Steam?