Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-06-2020, 06:08 PM   #51
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm generally ignorant - I have no idea.

I have like maybe 10 CDs from after 2000 so I have no idea about music. I mean, my latest "discoveries" in the last couple of years have been Fall Out Boy, dabbling in Panic at the Disco, Black Eyed Peas Beginning/End, and Daft Punk's Discovery (by way of 5555). SO I AM ON TOP OF MODERN MUSIC!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-06-2020 at 06:09 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:33 PM   #52
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:22 PM   #53
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I would love to have that in my backyard for the 5 minutes it would survive! I would probably injure myself as well somehow.

There's an old-school video arcade a couple miles from me that has a musical tesla coil show. It is loud as hell. It's nowhere near as cool as the one above tho (although the fact that I can actually access this one is pretty cool).

Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 06-08-2020 at 09:26 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:16 PM   #54
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

it has a name! how cute!
Old 07-01-2020, 08:52 AM   #55
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

With all the downtime, I've bought dozens of albums during the pandemic. Just now getting back to driving to work so I can really listen to most of them. I'll have to pick and choose some of the best to post here at some point.

For now, here's the lead single from the new The Ocean Collective album, just dropped today (the single; album is due in September). These guys are dedicated to a true progressive metal experience - long songs, drawn-out concept albums dealing with things like prehistoric times, geology and the formation of the earth. The names of their albums/songs are a prog nerds wet dream. The last couple of albums have been amazing, and this sounds even better.

This is Jurassic / Cretaceous from Phanerozoic II: Mesozoic / Cenozoic. Definite Tool vibe, but (IMO) way better than recent Tool (generally more extreme, which helps to highlight the contrasts better). Features vocals from Katatonia's Jonas Renske. Katatonia also released a new album recently.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:08 PM   #56
AlexB
Pro Starter

The most recent Nightwish album is unbelievably good - double CD, the first is vocal symphonic/operatic metal, the second an instrumental half hour orchestral opus

One of the reviews I read described the songs where Floor is the lead singer as ‘Julie Andrews auditions for Megadeth’, and I think that’s a great description!

Last edited by AlexB : 07-17-2020 at 04:10 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:37 PM   #57
PilotMan
Head Coach

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:30 AM   #58
RendeR
Coordinator

I was actually surprised when I had taylor Swift pop up on my pandora, but I have to be honest. This new album is actually pretty fucking good.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/26/a...re-review.html
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:28 AM   #59
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

So my son started watching Chuck again, and while I noticed some really interesting music initially, and seemed to like it; I never did anything about it. However, this time, given I'm only half watching, I decided to try an focus in on the music, but most of it was stuff I wasn't familiar with which intrigued me. I started trying to capture all the songs on the show with Shazam/Google, until my son told me Spotify has a Chuck playlist. So - I've been listening to that...and i was right, some really good music that I hadn't heard before.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:13 PM   #60
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I generally pride myself in being able to judge a song without regard to the name of the artist on the label. My absolute favorite bands can (and do) release complete shite, artists that have spent years releasing complete shite can (and once in a blue moon do) release something that's quite respectable or better.

Today, however, I ran across a prejudice that I didn't know I had: My feelings about a song -- which were "okay, this is fairly tolerable" changed once I realized that the artist in question is apparently best known for being "a famous Tik-Tokker".

I use the word "famous" loosely here since I'd never heard the name prior to this song ... but apparently I'm immediately predisposed to assume the absolute worst about the person if that's their primary claim to fame.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:36 AM   #61
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

No so much what I'm listening to a lot at the moment, but cool to me regardless.

Almost 30 years after their last chart success and some 36 years after their one big U.S. hit, Honeymoon Suite is back on the Canadian rock radio chart with a new song.

Is it the greatest thing I've ever heard? Nope. But given the distance between hits, it's very damned respectable.

Find What You're Looking For - YouTube
Old 08-18-2020, 06:34 AM   #62
Ksyrup

The Big Prize is one of the most underrated rock albums of the 80s.

What was the one big hit? I can think of a few minor hits, but maybe one of them went further up the chart than the others. New Girl Now, What Does It Take, Feel It Again, even Lethal Weapon got some airtime thanks to the movie.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-18-2020 at 06:35 AM.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:39 AM   #63
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The Big Prize is one of the most underrated rock albums of the 80s.

What was the one big hit? I can think of a few minor hits, but maybe one of them went further up the chart than the others. New Girl Now, What Does It Take, Feel It Again, even Lethal Weapon got some airtime thanks to the movie.

New Girl Now was the rock top 10 that really gave them any headway in the U.S. Feel It Again also cracked the top 10 but I'd be shocked if 10% of people listening in those years could name it today even when prompted for HSuite's "other hit". It just didn't have the legs New Girl Now did.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:35 PM   #64
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I discovered Orville Peck on Sunday and have been obsessed ever since.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:06 PM   #65
Ksyrup

I ran across him at least a year ago. Although I'm not a fan of "normal" country/folk, I have gotten into a lot of weird country/folk/bluegrass/pop in the past 2 years. Mostly, anything depressing or death-related. Amigo the Devil (murder folk) is without a doubt my favorite artist that falls into that category. Also, Dead South, Bridge City Sinners, and Louise Lemon (death gospel).
Old 08-19-2020, 03:14 PM   #66
Ksyrup

A few examples:

Old 08-19-2020, 03:25 PM   #67
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The Dead South are kinda fun.

The death sub-genre amuses me only for this reason: I once knew a band that did standard bluegrass sound but with lyrics that focused on {ahem} non-traditional topics like bondage, S&M, etc.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:31 PM   #68
Ksyrup

How about satanic doowop?

This band was incredibly fun live. She can sing her ass off.

Old 08-19-2020, 03:49 PM   #69
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Methgrass? Bluemeth?
Old 08-22-2020, 04:31 PM   #70
AlexB
Pro Starter

I’m slightly ashamed of myself, but I really like Cadillac Three’s latest album...

Old 08-22-2020, 09:39 PM   #71
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
I’m slightly ashamed of myself, but I really like Cadillac Three’s latest album...

I had to google to see what constituted "latest album". It is indeed the same one that has had two cuts crack my weekly playlist with an album cut extra ("Hard Out Here For A Country Boy" and "Cracking Cold Ones")

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-22-2020 at 09:39 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:02 AM   #72
AlexB
Pro Starter

That makes sense, as while both of those are good songs, my only criticism of it is that it feels like a couple of songs too long. Not that any of them are bad, just one or two too many tracks.

The majority of the album just makes me smile and feel good, which is a gift given everything else that is going on atm
Old 08-23-2020, 06:04 AM   #73
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
That makes sense, as while both of those are good songs, my only criticism of it is that it feels like a couple of songs too long. Not that any of them are bad, just one or two too many tracks.

The majority of the album just makes me smile and feel good, which is a gift given everything else that is going on atm

Yeah, 16 tracks is a reach for virtually any artist at this point.

Not sure why they didn't go with the increasingly common approach of 12 songs, then a subsequent release of a "bonus edition" that stretches it to 16 tracks.

I'd been somewhat confused about that until an artist explained to me that it has to do with gaming the system at Spotify. (Apparently no album is allowed to have more than three tracks from a release get "featured" status on the platform ... but an amended release counts as a separate entity and effectively resets their counter and usually contains at least the intended 4th single as part of the "bonus" content)
Old 08-23-2020, 07:25 AM   #74
Ksyrup

That's funny. Back in the album days, there was no incentive to put fewer or more than 10 songs on a record because that's all an artist got paid for. So some bands who had maybe 8 or 9 tracks would add a fluff track at the end or split a track into 2 parts to get to 10 or, on the other side, make a double album instead of a 15 or 17 song album.

Different distribution methods, still gaming the system.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:03 AM   #75
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Although I'm not a fan of "normal" country/folk,

Top-40 country is one of my least favorite genres.

But roots/folk/outlaw/weird/RedDirt/blues/bluegrass/funk/whatever country is one of my favorites.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:32 PM   #76
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Speaking of alt-Country, Justin Townes Earle just passed away :-(
Old 08-25-2020, 07:36 PM   #77
Ksyrup

RIP Riley Gale. 2020 sucks ass.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:48 AM   #78
Ksyrup

Rolling Stone premiered Amigo the Devil's cover of Before He Cheats yesterday. I've seen him do this live twice, just pieces that he teases the crowd with. Dude is amazing. Great news out of the RS article that he's recorded a new album.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...heats-1050404/

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-28-2020 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:25 AM   #79
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

While not earthshaking, this is rather fun to hear. Lead vocals & lead guitar remain from the classic lineups, and the other members have been with the band 16-25 years each. New Blue Oyster Cult album drops in October, their first new studio effort in almost 20 years.

Blue Öyster Cult - "That Was Me" - Official Audio - YouTube

Blue Öyster Cult - "Box In My Head" - Official Audio - YouTube
Old 08-31-2020, 03:16 PM   #80
Umbrella
High School Varsity

I've been listening to a lot of mashups lately. Most are garbage, but some guys are really talented. If you want to go down a bizarre rabbit hole that will make you question your own reality, listen to DJ Cummerbund.

A fun one that's not too weird.

Probably his masterpiece.

Last edited by Umbrella : 08-31-2020 at 03:18 PM.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:58 PM   #81
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Blur's Song 2 where every woohoo is done by Mario!

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 10-05-2020 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:09 AM   #82
PilotMan
Head Coach

If you haven't listened to the new Public Enemy album you're missing out. It's got some great stuff, throwback, old school hip hop and Chuck's lyrical skill and style shine through. I particularly love these:

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:39 AM   #83
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Willie Nelson

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #84
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Old 10-30-2020, 03:41 PM   #85
JPhillips
General Manager

Old 11-06-2020, 07:35 AM   #86
Ksyrup

Holy Shit! Two new System of a Down songs dropped this morning! 2020 continues to surprise. First new music in 15 years.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-06-2020 at 07:36 AM.
Old 11-06-2020, 07:38 AM   #87
Ksyrup

First song has an Aerials vibe. Given the political differences within the band, looks like they went with a common theme regarding Armenia. Whatever gets them active again...
Old 11-06-2020, 07:44 AM   #88
Ksyrup

Here are the two songs:

Old 11-11-2020, 12:07 PM   #89
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Been listening to the Hamilton soundtrack, So fucking genius. Satisfied is so amazing, can't listen to it without smiling. Angelica is amazing.

Last edited by Lathum : 11-11-2020 at 12:08 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:56 PM   #90
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The entire new AC/DC album, "Power Up" is now on their YouTube channel track by track.

I've literally got cold chills.

Nary a bad song in sight, with glimpses of the subtle differences from past albums in abundance. The chills? I think those are from having ONE thing in 2020 be reliable, downright normal.

Thank God for AC/DC.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:55 PM   #91
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Never really listened to Mushroomhead before but damn I love this song and video:

Last edited by Ryche : 11-16-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:13 PM   #92
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
Never really listened to Mushroomhead before but damn I love this song and video:

Same band, MUCH better track. All the good without the dragging on endlessly I felt like "The Heresy" suffered from

MUSHROOMHEAD - Seen It All (Official Video) | Napalm Records - YouTube
Old 11-16-2020, 05:22 PM   #93
Ksyrup

CAN'T. FREAKING. WAIT.

Amigo the Devil Announces New Album 'Born Against' - Rolling Stone
Old 11-16-2020, 05:33 PM   #94
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Same band, MUCH better track. All the good without the dragging on endlessly I felt like "The Heresy" suffered from

MUSHROOMHEAD - Seen It All (Official Video) | Napalm Records - YouTube

Yeah, I like that song a lot as well. I think The Heresy drew me a bit more because I'm a fan of female vocals in metal bands and I love the visuals in the video.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:42 PM   #95
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Nearly 50 years old...but new to me!

Old 12-04-2020, 05:15 PM   #96
Ksyrup

Hey EagleFan, you heard of this band? I ran across a review, checked it out, and thought of you.

Old 12-04-2020, 05:18 PM   #97
Ksyrup

Big day for me for music. New Amigo the Devil single (new album February 19th), extremely deep/heavy lyrics, but so damn good. Plus, new Leprous single. And, it's the last Bandcamp Friday deal where they waive their fees to the artists/labels. Been filling my cart all day.

Old 12-11-2020, 05:14 PM   #98
RainMaker
General Manager

This isn't really professional music but this guy went viral the other week. Had hundreds of videos playing songs with almost no views. Love his videos.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 01:55 PM   #99
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Old 01-20-2021, 04:54 AM   #100
Edward64
Head Coach

Bee Gees were a tad early for me but recently heard about BG + Country mix. I'm not sure if it really "works" but enjoying the different (and weird) angle so far.

Quote:
On 'Greenfields,' Barry Gibb Takes The Bee Gees' Legacy To Nashville
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote