Hey, Jon, I just pulled a Heyward.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #252
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Hey, Jon, I just pulled a Heyward.

Aw crap, I haven't drawn a single one of the seven 7* Braves yet ... but I've drawn about half the 2*/3* guys already.
edit to add: I know JaHey is a 6* but still

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-11-2011 at 04:39 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #253
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Aw crap, I haven't drawn a single one of the seven 7* Braves yet ... but I've drawn about half the 2*/3* guys already.
edit to add: I know JaHey is a 6* but still

Heyward is the highest-rated Brave I have.

Among the offensive Dodgers I lack all of the 'name' players. No Ethier, no Kemp, no Loney, etc, so I feel your pain.

I just trained Heyward as an igniter, so we'll see how he fits in as our new leadoff hitter.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #254
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I have Ethier if you want him.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #255
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Among the offensive Dodgers I lack all of the 'name' players. No Ethier, no Kemp, no Loney, etc, so I feel your pain.

You need/want any of their bottom feeders?

My son's team has Gibbons & Troncoso that could be had easily for anything other than a 2* MR (he's got like a dozen of those now).

I've got Gibbons & Paul, would take 2* OF/3B/2B/1B for either.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #256
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I have Ethier if you want him.

What's he rated?

Quote:
You need/want any of their bottom feeders?

My son's team has Gibbons & Troncoso that could be had easily for anything other than a 2* MR (he's got like a dozen of those now).

I've got Gibbons & Paul, would take 2* OF/3B/2B/1B for either.

I've got Gibbons and Troncoso both. I could trade you Josh Bell for Paul, though. He's a 2* 3B.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #257
Mike1409
High School Varsity

anyone have any 1* fielders they want to off load? I have several MR that I would like to move. I hate having 3*'s on my bench that can't help me.
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #258
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've got Gibbons and Troncoso both. I could trade you Josh Bell for Paul, though. He's a 2* 3B.

If you've got trades left, propose it to me & I'll accept once I'm back from dinner.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #259
PilotMan
Head Coach

I shuffled my lineup and it has been a disaster.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #260
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1409 View Post
anyone have any 1* fielders they want to off load? I have several MR that I would like to move. I hate having 3*'s on my bench that can't help me.

Mike, if I'm understanding what you want to do, that's not gonna fly. Game won't let you trade a 3* MR for a 1* fielder.

Besides which, the daily condition changes/battery affinity etc means that those relievers might help you eventually anyway.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #261
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
If you've got trades left, propose it to me & I'll accept once I'm back from dinner.

So done.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #262
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:
Mike, if I'm understanding what you want to do, that's not gonna fly. Game won't let you trade a 3* MR for a 1* fielder.

Besides which, the daily condition changes/battery affinity etc means that those relievers might help you eventually anyway.

Sorry I didn't explain it right. I want to trade some 1*MR for 1* fielders. Then I can add the 1 stars to the active roster bench and use some better MR's.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #263
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Ethier is a 7 and was doing quite well for me before I found Tori Hunter (an 8).
Old 03-11-2011, 09:35 PM   #264
PilotMan
Head Coach

Signups for the tournament have started. Get in if you want to play. We are in.

Like Steam?

Old 03-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #265
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I'm in too
Old 03-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #266
SackAttack
Head Coach

In like Flynn. Arlie, I don't think I have any 7* fielders to trade for him, but I'll look.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #267
SackAttack
Head Coach

Arlie, I've got Marlon Byrd, if he excites you.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #268
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm in, son is in. Interesting to see how relatively slow (IMO) the signup has been, only 312 of the 1,000 slots filled 28 minutes after registration opened.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #269
SackAttack
Head Coach

Feeling cautiously optimistic about the tournament after going 4-1 against teams ranked in the top 110 for exhibition play.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:43 AM   #270
Tasan
College Starter

Moved up to 4th today after being out of pocket ALL DAY and getting to watch all the games sim through in one batch. Pulled my first manager card today, Toronto's manager. Also got a spot in the tourney.

If anyone has Rangers they'll trade, I'm looking to make the set. I have C Treanor, C Napoli, C Teagarden, 1B Davis, 2B Blanco, OF Murphy, OF Borbon, MR Harrison, MR Strop, SP Webb. I've got lots of guys I'll move, up to cost 8 if its the right guy.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:24 AM   #271
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Feeling cautiously optimistic about the tournament after going 4-1 against teams ranked in the top 110 for exhibition play.

Yeah, after going 2-3 yesterday in ranked play, we went 4-1 today with 3 of those wins coming against top 20 teams.

I will also add that our scouting woes continue. We still can't seem to get a guy about 6*. Today we grabbed 1 six, and that was it. We are notoriously well rounded however. We still only have 1 batter above a 6* and the 3 pitchers rated 7*.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 03-12-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:32 AM   #272
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Up to 24-14 in my rookie league. Starting to get enough points to bring some decent players into my starting lineup; found room for 5* Ortiz finally. Need to do another scouting run to see if I can find some better pitchers, though, even with my being second in team ERA.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #273
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
If anyone has Rangers they'll trade, I'm looking to make the set. I have C Treanor, C Napoli, C Teagarden, 1B Davis, 2B Blanco, OF Murphy, OF Borbon, MR Harrison, MR Strop, SP Webb. I've got lots of guys I'll move, up to cost 8 if its the right guy.

My son's team would definitely make a deal for 6* SP Tommy Hunter. Nothing short of a disaster for him, change of scenery time. Braves preferred in return but not required. He's okay at 3b & ss but could definitely use help at SP or in the bullpen. He's also got 4* Darren O'Day that would be dealt with ease.

I've got 3* MR Darren Oliver that you can have, preferably for a 1b or pitcher.

(If you need to drop me off your friend's list to add him that's fine, he's Owner AASpartans / Team Spartans)
Old 03-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #274
Tasan
College Starter

I think I have one friend spot left, I'll add him on. I've got other 6* pitchers I can send, and I'm certain I have 4* 3B I can send.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #275
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

We're on fire over the last few days. We're sitting at a healthy 41-14 in rookie season yet. Our rotation is easily the best in the league as we're over a full point of ERA lower than all the other teams in the league. Our offense hasn't disappointed either sitting right in the middle of the pack so we're doing well enough there to win our games.

I need one more 1 star hitter so I can increase a spot elsewhere.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #276
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Are you guys having a lot of fun with this game, or are you just going through the motions at this point? The activity in this thread has me ready to sign up for the game, but I want to make sure that it's worth the time.

It is a lot of fun, I would sign up soon as this season is winding down. You play your 1st season in rookie ball and then are promoted to A. I would use the few days left to get used to the league and you don't have to spend 10 days in a rookie league.

I missed the season change by 1 day and am chomping at the bit to get to A ball and have a real roster of players.

Last edited by Mike1409 : 03-12-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #277
Tasan
College Starter

Jon, I put in a trade, SP Hunter for SP Medlen. I didn't see O'Day available, I have MR Sherrill available to trade for him, he's also a Brave. I have SP Lowe as well, I'd need another 5* pitcher for him as I rotate 5* pitchers a bit.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #278
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Jon, I put in a trade, SP Hunter for SP Medlen. I didn't see O'Day available, I have MR Sherrill available to trade for him, he's also a Brave. I have SP Lowe as well, I'd need another 5* pitcher for him as I rotate 5* pitchers a bit.

Accepted Medlen for Hunter.
Offered O'Day for Sherrill.

Not sure why he was missing, maybe you filtered by MR? O'Day is an SU.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #279
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Been raking lately, up to 6th in my A league. Have had no help from scouting though, only three 7* guys, everything else lower. My starting rotation is all 6*, being led by Nolasco, Dice-K, and Shields.

Got some guys I'm looking to trade. Haven't worked out for me, maybe for someone else:

7 Stars
Nate McLouth OF

6 Stars
Jason Kubel OF
Ryan Ludwick OF

5 Stars
Mike Cameron OF
AJ Burnett SP
Jason Marquis SP
Clay Hensley MR

Team Name: Terriers
User Name: JProNH
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #280
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Has anyone experimented much with playing guys out of position; i.e. like trying to make someone like Votto or Konerko an OF? Or playing an OF-only rated player at 1b?
Old 03-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #281
samifan24
Pro Starter

Damn. I missed the tournament signup. Why would they have signup begin at 11 PM on a Friday night?
Old 03-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #282
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Has anyone experimented much with playing guys out of position; i.e. like trying to make someone like Votto or Konerko an OF? Or playing an OF-only rated player at 1b?

Have a player doing that right now in my league. Has more than double the errors of any other team in the league. He's in last place. Pretty sure it's not worth it.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #283
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just a random thing, in case anyone hasn't noticed it already ... it looks as though players on your bench are progressing their "unlock status" for being on the active roster, regardless of whether they play or not. Getting that 4th training slot opened up could help with the marginal guys that'll be seeing more playing time in the first season of the new cycle.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #284
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Have a player doing that right now in my league. Has more than double the errors of any other team in the league. He's in last place. Pretty sure it's not worth it.

That's kind of what I expected would happen
Old 03-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #285
SackAttack
Head Coach

Well slap my ass and call me Sally.

7-1 start to the day, although there's *still* a five-team logjam where 2nd and 6th are separated by a game (I'm in 6th), but team Sega has apparently hit the skids, as when I went to bed, I was 6 out of first and now I'm 2 games out. We play team Sega in about an hour and a half, and we've finally come alive on the road (32-18 now after an early patch where we were lucky to play .500 ball away from home).

Could everything be coming together for the stretch run?
Old 03-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #286
SackAttack
Head Coach

The "outfielder" scouting pack got replaced with "American League," offhand.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #287
samifan24
Pro Starter

What happens at the end of the season? The top four teams get "promoted" to a higher level and the bottom four get "relegated" but what about everyone else? Does the game have a playoff system?
Old 03-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #288
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
What happens at the end of the season? The top four teams get "promoted" to a higher level and the bottom four get "relegated" but what about everyone else? Does the game have a playoff system?

Everybody else stays at whatever level they were at. No playoffs.

At A league, there is no relegation.

Team Sega is now in a 3-way tie for first in my league, so now the top six teams are within 2 games of each other.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #289
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Everybody else stays at whatever level they were at. No playoffs.

At A league, there is no relegation.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #290
SackAttack
Head Coach

Woo.

Beat team Sega to knock them out of first. Suck it, bitches.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #291
SackAttack
Head Coach

These 6 run innings surrendered by my pitching staff in the 7th inning or later are getting old in a hurry, but that's my only real gripe with the game at this point.

At some point, it's like, why doesn't that happen FOR me? Ever?
Old 03-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #292
kingfc22
Head Coach

So am I safe to assume that their are no special rules in regards to the tourney? Basically, if I'm in Rookie ball I'm screwed since I have a 65 cap and can't use my big guns. Would be nice if they put everyone on a level foot for this "open" tournament.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 03-12-2011 at 08:11 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #293
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
So am I safe to assume that their are no special rules in regards to the tourney? Basically, if I'm in Rookie ball I'm screwed since I have a 65 cap and can't use my big guns. Would be nice if they put everyone on a level foot for this "open" tournament.

Who knows, but my guess is everybody below "Major" is screwed under those circumstances. We'll find out in about 15 minutes, I guess.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #294
SackAttack
Head Coach

Woo. 1-hit shutout in my first game. Vargas went the distance for me.

5-2 win in the 2nd round. Both games on the road so far.

3rd game at home, got blasted 8-1.

We finished 220th of 1000. Not bad for the first time.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #295
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Finished 137th out of 1,000, lost in the 3rd round.
The tournament winner? The 1st place team in my league.

Meanwhile, I've lost 6 of 7 regular season games & am now just trying to hold on to 3rd place, even promotion is starting to seem iffy.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #296
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Finished 137th out of 1,000, lost in the 3rd round.
The tournament winner? The 1st place team in my league.

Meanwhile, I've lost 6 of 7 regular season games & am now just trying to hold on to 3rd place, even promotion is starting to seem iffy.

I'm ahead of Sega now, but I still can't seem to get over that 1 game hump into the promotion zone thanks to timely 8 run 8ths.

Got one more game tonight against one of the eliminated teams. Hoping we win it.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #297
kingfc22
Head Coach

One and done. My 65 pt. roster had no chance against my 117 pt. opponent.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #298
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
One and done. My 65 pt. roster had no chance against my 117 pt. opponent.

My 3rd round opponent, to whom I lost, was a 117'er. My guess is that the tournaments are segregated at least partly by class, if the winner is from Jon's league.

AKA, rookie/A are in one tournament, AA in another, AAA in another, Major in another (or perhaps all three lumped together).

Seems unlikely an A team could beat out a AAA, say.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #299
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just checked my son's results ... his 8th place team finished 67th overall, but he's been on a hot streak since late yesterday so I'm not quite as surprised that he did well.

Just noticed that the 6th place team in his league finished #8 overall (or at least was one of the final 8, losing in the quarterfinals).
Old 03-12-2011, 10:57 PM   #300
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm a 117 point roster in my first A season. According to the help file, I'm already over the maximum for my first A season. Does this mean my roster cap will drop down to the minimum again in my second season?