Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-21-2020, 09:34 AM   #751
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Nevermind - cancelled! What a win!

Dabo is super-hot about this, wouldn't give a public statement after the news was announced.

Costs Clemson about $300k to travel everyone and put them up for game.

Clemson had one positive come back last night to an OL who traveled. FSU refused to play based on that.

I'd be surprised if this game gets rescheduled even though FSU and Clemson both have an open date on 12/12
Old 11-21-2020, 09:56 AM   #752
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina game moved to ESPN, from ESPN2
Old 11-21-2020, 10:01 AM   #753
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I'd be surprised if this game gets rescheduled even though FSU and Clemson both have an open date on 12/12

Probably the final nail in the coffin for Trevor Lawrence's dwindling Heisman hopes.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:18 AM   #754
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

If I was Norvell, I'd have been like, "Dabo, I heard your sister's MIL's best friend's ex-fiancee tested positive. Game's off."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-21-2020 at 10:19 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:24 AM   #755
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
If I was Norvell, I'd have been like, "Dabo, I heard your sister's MIL's best friend's ex-fiancee tested positive. Game's off."

I came in this thread to say that based on the ESPN article, it sounded like you had taken over as AD/HC and made the call to cancel.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:57 AM   #756
Ksyrup

I saw something about an article yesterday but I don't care enough about how the sausage is made to read it. The more I've removed myself from going all in on favorite teams, the more I've enjoyed sports. FSU will either come back in the next decade, or it won't. Life will go on. My brother is a UF alum and knows the pain of a long rebuild. And they have money and a far larger donor base.

In all seriousness, the optics of canceling makes it look bad, but over a dozen games are being canceled every week now based on as little as a single positive, so this was probably the right move. It also has the side benefit of eliminating another embarrassing loss.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-21-2020, 11:32 AM   #757
Ksyrup

I can't wait for the outrage when this game gets canceled.

Old 11-21-2020, 01:32 PM   #758
bob
College Starter

So this means if the game isn’t rescheduled and Miami and Notre Dame win out Clemson is left out of the ACCCG. Miami is in on more wins.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:46 PM   #759
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
So this means if the game isn’t rescheduled and Miami and Notre Dame win out Clemson is left out of the ACCCG. Miami is in on more wins.

If both teams win out I am sure there will be an emergency board meeting to adjust the rules accordingly. That being said, I am sure allowances will be made to make sure that the Clemson-FSU game will be rescheduled.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-21-2020, 02:14 PM   #760
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Not correct. ACC adjusted the rules before the season.

"Furthermore, in the event there is an unequal total number of conference games played among teams tied in the loss column, head-to-head results will take precedence over win-percentage."
Old 11-21-2020, 02:30 PM   #761
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Not correct. ACC adjusted the rules before the season.

"Furthermore, in the event there is an unequal total number of conference games played among teams tied in the loss column, head-to-head results will take precedence over win-percentage."

Thanks for clarifying. Not sure I’m a fan of basically crediting a team with a win for a non-contest.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:47 PM   #762
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina was down at the half and gave up a lot of yards on the ground, but they were a different team in the second half picking off App State three times, including the last for a game winning TD, Coastal wins 34-23, stays undefeated, and shows they belong in the Sun Belt!

Last edited by Thomkal : 11-21-2020 at 03:46 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:24 PM   #763
Kodos
Resident Alien

IU had a nice comeback against OSU, but came up a touchdown short. Damn.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:16 PM   #764
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If UCF holds on against Cincy, will they have a parade on Monday?
Old 11-21-2020, 05:47 PM   #765
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
If UCF holds on against Cincy, will they have a parade on Monday?

Hanging banners next week, probably.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 05:58 PM   #766
Ksyrup

Quote:

Looks like they may try to play on December 12th.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:07 PM   #767
tarcone
Coordinator

Indiana is playing with a chip on their shoulder. Just didnt have enough talent.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:04 PM   #768
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Would love to see what happens without that pick six in the 3rd.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:09 PM   #769
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Would love to see what happens without that pick six in the 3rd.

Yep. That was a killer.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:43 PM   #770
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Love that Indiana didnt quit. Some talented receivers.

Michigan down to Rutgers in OT.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:58 AM   #771
miked
College Starter

Rutgers with so many chances to win, this was Schiano's biggest thing in his first run, getting outcoached on game day in the big games. I know we are 1-4, but a last second loss to Illinois and a 3OT loss vs. Michigan, and a team now averaging 30+ pts per game is exciting. These are games we lost by 50 last year with no points and 80 yards of offense.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:40 AM   #772
Ksyrup

I was flipping around and watched UM go up 35-27 (?) with like 5 minutes left, flipped to other games, forgot about that one, and next thing I see, it's in 3rd OT. Wish I had watched the last bit.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:58 PM   #773
Thomkal
Head Coach

Somehow Coastal Carolina dropped one in the AP after their big win to #16, and went up 1 to 17 in Coaches Poll. Sun Belt bias Sad to see Liberty lost to N.Carolina State by a point after their game winning FG try was blocked
Old 11-23-2020, 05:43 PM   #774
Ksyrup

It's Monday and there are 9 games canceled for this week, including 2 SEC.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:06 PM   #775
bronconick
College Starter

Minnesota/Wisconsin canceled, meaning the Badgers are ineligible for the Big Ten Title
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:34 PM   #776
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's Monday and there are 9 games canceled for this week, including 2 SEC.

Though I will note that I actually understand the rationale behind postponing Vandy-UT in order to get ... is it Mizzou-Vandy maybe? whatever game they substituted into the schedule for this weekend.

By using championship saturday for makeups of non-contender games, they have a shot at making a team that missed two games whole by shifting this weekend around.

Rare that I say a conference did something smart but I thought this move made sense.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:58 PM   #777
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Minnesota/Wisconsin canceled, meaning the Badgers are ineligible for the Big Ten Title

Not like they were winning the West anyway

Old 11-25-2020, 07:04 AM   #778
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I saw something about an article yesterday but I don't care enough about how the sausage is made to read it. The more I've removed myself from going all in on favorite teams, the more I've enjoyed sports. FSU will either come back in the next decade, or it won't. Life will go on. My brother is a UF alum and knows the pain of a long rebuild. And they have money and a far larger donor base.

In all seriousness, the optics of canceling makes it look bad, but over a dozen games are being canceled every week now based on as little as a single positive, so this was probably the right move. It also has the side benefit of eliminating another embarrassing loss.

Look this whole FSU canceled because they didn't want to be embarrassed on TV stuff is stupid. Have you watched FSU this season, they've been embarrassed in almost every loss already. One more isn't going to make a difference. Also, FSU is hurting bad for money. They were before COVID and now are drowning. The Clemson game, even with limited crowds was going to mean $2 million for the school. They wouldn't turn down $2 million to avoid an ugly loss.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:31 AM   #779
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think cancelling over one positive test is equally stupid though. Clemson is correct that if that was the standard, there never would have been a season in the first place. Regardless of what their motivations actually were, it certainly makes it look like FSU didn't want to play the game and clutched the first straw that allowed them not to.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-25-2020 at 09:32 AM.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:59 AM   #780
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Nick Saban has tested positive.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:10 AM   #781
bob
College Starter

Dabo doesn’t care at all about FSU. He’s really pissed that he lost the bye week before the ACC championship game.

Edit- Assuming it’s Clemson - ND, ND has to play a makeup against Wake Forest so Clemson had a nice advantage coming in.

Last edited by bob : 11-25-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:19 AM   #782
Butter
Coordinator

He should probably be more pissed at the conference for not having consistent standards. If both teams meet the standards, then they should play the game. Doesn't make sense to me that each team gets to pick and choose what constitutes an unsafe standard to me.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:43 AM   #783
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Clemson, Florida State, coach battles and the inevitable challenges of playing in a pandemic

I don't know if this was the article. I read it yesterday and it lays out why both teams were right. This part was very relatable giving the conversations that we all are having regarding holiday plans and family members with different outlooks on Covid.

Quote:
In this case, Clemson's medical advisors told Florida State's medical advisors on a Friday night call that a symptomatic player had been with the team during the week, and they received a positive result from Friday testing upon arrival in Tallahassee. Clemson believed it could safely play; Florida State had major concerns over a symptomatic player being around his teammates because it had much more stringent policies in place in dealing with symptomatic players.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:19 PM   #784
Ksyrup

No, he's referring to an ESPN article prior to the Covid dispute about how hard it is to maintain an elite program with 5-6 different people pulling in different directions.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:53 PM   #785
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Nick Saban has tested positive.
Again?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:02 PM   #786
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Again?

Re-infections are still very rare, especially after a month.

It's most likely that the first test was a false positive.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:07 PM   #787
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Re-infections are still very rare, especially after a month.

It's most likely that the first test was a false positive.

I think the first was a false positive because he had negative tests immediately after which is why he coached that week.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:34 PM   #788
JPhillips
General Manager

Saban's first "positive" was asymptomatic and contradicted by a series of negatives and he was allowed to coach that Saturday.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:32 PM   #789
Ksyrup

OU/WVU is postponed. Looks like this will be a DIY entertainment long weekend the way things are going. Some college b-ball and NFL on Sunday.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:36 PM   #790
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I guess Dicker the Kicker isn't gonna get laid tonight.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:54 PM   #791
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa plays old fashioned Iowa football and beats Nebby 26-20. Ran it down their throats in the 2nd half.

Old 11-27-2020, 09:31 PM   #792
Ksyrup

Ohio State/Illinois canceled. If either of OSU's games versus Michigan or Michigan State are canceled, OSU is ineligible for the B1G championship game.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:53 AM   #793
Ksyrup

FSU/UVA canceled. Darn.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:05 AM   #794
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
FSU/UVA canceled. Darn.

Is Dabo going to cry on UVA's behalf?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:26 AM   #795
JPhillips
General Manager

I am 100% certain that the NCAA will make sure that Clemson and OSU are eligible for the playoffs.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:10 AM   #796
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I am 100% certain that the NCAA will make sure that Clemson and OSU are eligible for the playoffs.

If I could bet on this, I would

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:14 AM   #797
lungs
Pro Rookie

Penn St. vs. Michigan or Indiana vs. Maryland.....

I'm going with Indiana vs. Maryland. Just seems strange to say.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:15 AM   #798
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
FSU/UVA canceled. Darn.

I don't think FSU is going to play another game this season. They had 44 players available this morning between quarantines, injuries, contract tracing, and opt outs.

Last edited by bronconick : 11-28-2020 at 11:17 AM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:33 AM   #799
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
I don't think FSU is going to play another game this season.

That’s probably in their best interest for numerous reasons.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:14 PM   #800
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina heads to Texas today to take on 2-win Texas State. While it may seem like an easy enough game for them, they only won by 3 points last year and Texas State is coming off a win where they scored 47 points. Of course they gave up 45 so...