Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-03-2020, 04:50 AM   #6501
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
That's so wrong. These are times that require special precautions as we/they knew well ahead of time situations like this would come up. The schedules that were made, they knew there was a 99% chance that COVID-19 would show up and put games in danger. What happens if both teams have a positive case, do both lose by default, or does the team that was cowardly enough to report it last win?

The problem with forfeiting as a punishment, it will encourage to not properly test players and field infected players. Besides, why on earth do these sports teams need to be tested so thoroughly and take away from the testing capacity that's so scarce all across the globe. Many countries are still amidst their rising peak, while others are heavily battling their second wave, as governments start buying testing capacity across borders in bidding wars.

In the remainder of 2020 all team sports should have the same guideline: 1 positive case on a team and all the games of that team in the next 7, 10, 14 days (whatever the guidelines of quarantine are in their homeland) must be postponed. No exceptions.

In the League Cup there were two examples that should also cause concern:

Spurs drew Orient, and offered Orient Covid tests FOC as they don’t get the level of testing a PL club gets. Orient had a number of positive results, the game was initially postponed, then Orient forced to forfeit as that was written into the Covid protocol in the even of positive tests

West Ham offered their opponents Hull the same FOC tests, but Hull turned it down, saying they didn’t need to as their last tests were OK (League 1 clubs only had to test at the start of the season, and the tests are less sensitive than the PL tests), and the game went ahead, despite West Ham’s manager David Moyes and two of his players getting positive test results 90 minutes before kickoff.

So Orient were effectively punished for doing the right thing on a national health level, and even worse lost out on a six figure sum as the match was supposed to be on TV, Hull got to play despite refusing tests, and West Ham got to play despite having positive results?

This can’t be right either?

Last edited by AlexB : 10-03-2020 at 04:51 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:40 PM   #6502
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:13 PM   #6503
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Lot's of theater buildings are going to be up for sale in the very near future. I don't now how many or if any will come back from this.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:20 PM   #6504
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yeah, I've been wondering about all that theater real-estate and who that actually belongs to.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 10-05-2020 at 02:22 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:37 PM   #6505
molson
General Manager

The studios aren't willing to take losses on these movies to save the theaters in part because they want to eventually own the theaters themselves. This would have been illegal the last 60 years or so, but the wind is blowing the other way in some court decisions this year.

Disney would love it if to see the newest big Marvel movie (legally), you had to pay $40 or $50 at home or $25 in a theater with expensive concessions. The movie wouldn't have to gross as much as it would before, just enough to exceed what Disney's current cut from the theaters is.

I'm glad that I've been able to go to the movies a ridiculous amount the last few years with moviepass and Regal unlimited, and that habit drew me to the local dollar and artsy theaters more too. I've been to Regal in the last few months a couple of times and that was an incredible little boost to my mental health too. I just don't enjoy movies at home as much. This is another part of culture which will probably be forever changed by COVID.

Last edited by molson : 10-05-2020 at 05:01 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:09 PM   #6506
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It's going to be sad when this is over and the theater industry is decimated. There was something cool about going to see a movie on a massive screen with great surround sound.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:56 PM   #6507
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I mentioned several months ago the theater industry is going to die from this. So much easier and cheaper to pay $30-40 and watch at home. Studios just cut out the middle man.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:09 PM   #6508
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The studios aren't willing to take losses on these movies to save the theaters in part because they want to eventually own the theaters themselves. This would have been illegal the last 60 years or so, but the wind is blowing the other way in some court decisions this year.

That's interesting,
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:18 PM   #6509
JPhillips
General Manager

Tickets, concessions, much expanded merchandise, all going to the studios.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:33 PM   #6510
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Over the next 5 years, we're going to see huge consolidation across a number of industries where the weakened players are scooped up for pennies on the dollar by stronger conglomerates that will be even bigger and stronger than before

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:42 PM   #6511
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Over the next 5 years, we're going to see huge consolidation across a number of industries where the weakened players are scooped up for pennies on the dollar by stronger conglomerates that will be even bigger and stronger than before

SI

Yep, we won't know the true economic fallout of COVID for a long while. There will be a number of industries that are going to look different.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:52 PM   #6512
GrantDawg

Let me just say, there will never be movie I will pay $40 to see at home. I will wait till it comes on one of the way too many services I pay for already.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2020, 05:56 PM   #6513
tarcone
Coordinator

I go to theaters for the popcorn. Love movie theater popcorn with lots of butter.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:49 PM   #6514
MIJB#19
Coordinator

The Netherlands is very late on the facemask stuff. I had worn it several times in the subway (Even on 10 minute rides in almost empty trains, in public transportation masks are mandatory since early June), but as lately as 6 days ago masks have become "strongly advised" in public buildings. But I've noticed that calling it an "advice" means half the people still Trump it. Admittedly, I too feel silly wearing a mask while also distancing and trying to rush through my grocery shopping as swiftly as possible, but if anything, I'll be one of those that sets an example and just do it.

We're slowly moving back into lockdown. The second wave is flooding Holland*, we're coloring black on the yellow to red scales of infections per capita, as they run out of darker shades of red. Positive cases are steadily increasing to new peaks at 4500 per day (on 17.5M population, positive tests have increased to 9% of all tested).
On a personal anecdotal level it's easy to confirm that. In as little as 10 days, it has turned from knowing three distant relatives that had COVID-19 during the first wave, to three completely unlinked confirmed cases all being one or two dominos away from forcing me into 10 days of quarantine. *knock on wood* I don't think I've had any symptoms and haven't been in "close contact" with any confirmed cases, but it feels like it's much closer than it did during the first wave.

* In case this needs clarification: Holland isn't the same thing as The Netherlands. And in this situation, it actually is a rare occurrence where even the Dutch are bringing it up. Maybe the English pages of Wikipedia are still reliable on that part (I'm shocked, they actually still do; after finding out about the "America" propaganda on the English pages, I was afraid this would have also been infected with ignorance).

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 10-06-2020 at 05:49 PM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:15 PM   #6515
Thomkal
Head Coach

Stay safe MIJB!
Old 10-07-2020, 06:25 AM   #6516
Edward64
Head Coach

I think I'm okay with a 2 month wait after Phase 3 trials under the assumption there are some exceptions as needed (e.g. front line workers voluntarily wanting to take it) and manufacturers are making and preparing to distribute during this period.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/06/healt...-bn/index.html
Quote:
The US Food and Drug Administration made clear Tuesday it will want to see two months of follow-up data after volunteers get their second vaccine doses for clinical trials testing potential coronavirus vaccines.
:
:
"Data from Phase 3 studies should include a median follow-up duration of at least two months after completion of the full vaccination regimen to help provide adequate information to assess a vaccine's benefit-risk profile, including: adverse events; cases of severe COVID-19 disease among study subjects; and cases of COVID-19 occurring during the timeframe when adaptive (rather than innate) and memory immune responses to the vaccine would be responsible for a protective effect," the FDA said in the guidance.

The two months number should come as no surprise. The FDA has been telling companies for some time, says Dr. Peter Marks, director of the Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, the FDA division that approves vaccines.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:52 AM   #6517
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Dr. Fauci just said we could top 400k COVID deaths this winter... yikes!

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 10-07-2020 at 09:52 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:38 PM   #6518
Edward64
Head Coach

Been checking worldometers past week. There were some days with unusually low deaths like < 500, yesterday was 932. Bottom line (I think) is it looks like deaths are down even though infections are still well over 40K+.

Nothing in MSM about hospitals, medical professionals etc. getting over stressed or lack of equipment, medicine etc. GA is pretty stable regarding deaths, mostly under 50.

I think this means we are doing a much better job in treating this plague. Some relatively good news at least.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:45 PM   #6519
JPhillips
General Manager

There have been a number of stories about WI hospitals getting overloaded to the point where the Governor has opened up an emergency hospital.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:47 PM   #6520
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Things are not going well in Wisconsin, they're opening up a field hospital because of the surge in cases and hospitalizations.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:48 PM   #6521
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I think I'm okay with a 2 month wait after Phase 3 trials under the assumption there are some exceptions as needed (e.g. front line workers voluntarily wanting to take it) and manufacturers are making and preparing to distribute during this period.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/06/healt...-bn/index.html

Two months is really the minimum. I am running a Phase I clinical trial and we need to wait 6 months after the last patient is treated before phase 2 can begin.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:23 PM   #6522
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

One of Caitlin's former softball teammates (they both transferred away from UTM after 2019) got Covid 4 weeks ago and now has a virus-induced heart condition. She's out a minimum of 3 months.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:47 PM   #6523
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
One of Caitlin's former softball teammates (they both transferred away from UTM after 2019) got Covid 4 weeks ago and now has a virus-induced heart condition. She's out a minimum of 3 months.

That sucks.
Old 10-08-2020, 02:46 PM   #6524
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

I know that's really rare, but it's scary. I'm glad my daughter's competitive Irish dance has been on hold since March.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:51 PM   #6525
Edward64
Head Coach

WTF? It's spreading to additional animals now.

Better stock up on Spam and get used to BeyondMeat soon.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/...f54df4b0467c5d
Quote:
Utah ranchers have lost at least 8,000 mink to an outbreak of Covid-19 among the animals known for their silky, luxurious pelts.

The virus first appeared in the creatures in August, shortly after farmworkers fell ill in July, according to Dr. Dean Taylor, state veterinarian of Utah. Initial research shows the virus was transmitted from humans to animals, and so far has not seen any cases of the opposite.

“Everything we’ve looked at here in Utah suggests it's gone from the humans to the animals,” Taylor told CNN.
“It feels like a unidirectional path,” he said, adding that testing is still underway.

Some context: This is the first outbreak among mink in the United States, though other cases have been detected in the Netherlands, Spain and Denmark, according to the US Department of Agriculture.
:
:
Mink join only cats, dogs, a tiger and a lion to be the only confirmed animals with Covid-19 in the US, according to the USDA data.
Old 10-09-2020, 02:52 PM   #6526
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
WTF? It's spreading to additional animals now.

Better stock up on Spam and get used to BeyondMeat soon.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/...f54df4b0467c5d
That's hardly news, mink farms in the Netherlands have been ravaged by COVID-19 for months.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:21 PM   #6527
JPhillips
General Manager

Orange County, NY is seeing a big rise in cases and now my college is on-line only for the next two weeks.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:59 PM   #6528
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Orange County, NY is seeing a big rise in cases and now my college is on-line only for the next two weeks.

My towns facebook group is currently on fire with cries about how we need to open up schools 100%. I informed people it is far more likely we go back to all virtual given the uptick in cases. Didn't go over great.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:10 PM   #6529
JPhillips
General Manager

The high school called and said they have cases now, but so far they are staying open. My daughter, though, chose to be fully on-line until January.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:06 AM   #6530
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
That's hardly news, mink farms in the Netherlands have been ravaged by COVID-19 for months.

Looked it up, first outbreaks in late April. I didn't remember seeing it in the news.

It didn't occur to me there was still a mink-coat industry (primarily for their coats I assume). But the article I read said

Quote:
In the long run, their businesses were doomed anyway: A law approved by the Dutch parliament in 2012 bans mink farming as of 2024 for ethical reasons. The affected farmers may be allowed to reopen their farms for another 3 years if tests conclusively show the virus is gone—or they can decide to throw in the towel now.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:58 AM   #6531
GrantDawg

My sons college still has only had 3 reported cases. They where actually able to have "Mountain Day" yesterday. The first Friday of the month in October with good weather, they call off all classes and have a bunch of outdoor activities. He sent pictures of kids listening to bands and hiking around the mountain trails. No group over 10, social distancing, and wearing masks. It can be done.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:18 AM   #6532
Galaril
Pro Starter

Umbers Rae not looking good nationally . Yesterday back up to 60k cases after being down to 25k 4-5 weeks ago and deaths are pretty steady at 850- 1000 except for the Sunday and Monday which have always been unrepresentative days since the outbreak I assume due to coroners and hospitals reporting deaths on the weekends until Monday/Tuesday. Also, a key n7nber I have noticed is the serious cases. When the deaths were at there highest the serious cases were also at 20k+. It has been steadily going down and was down to 13500 serious cases now it is up to almost 15,000. As this is only October and the weather has not turned cold yet we are likely in for a bad next six months with realistically now vaccine will be hitting the streets for the vast majority of the average joe.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:21 AM   #6533
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Umbers Rae not looking good nationally . Yesterday back up to 60k cases after being down to 25k 4-5 weeks ago and deaths are pretty steady at 850- 1000 except for the Sunday and Monday which have always been unrepresentative days since the outbreak I assume due to coroners and hospitals reporting deaths on the weekends until Monday/Tuesday. Also, a key n7nber I have noticed is the serious cases. When the deaths were at there highest the serious cases were also at 20k+. It has been steadily going down and was down to 13500 serious cases now it is up to almost 15,000. As this is only October and the weather has not turned cold yet we are likely in for a bad next six months with realistically now vaccine will be hitting the streets for the vast majority of the average joe.

It's almost as if jamming kids back into school would have a (wholly expected) negative effect about 6 weeks down the road.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-10-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-10-2020, 05:10 PM   #6534
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Looked it up, first outbreaks in late April. I didn't remember seeing it in the news.

It didn't occur to me there was still a mink-coat industry (primarily for their coats I assume). But the article I read said
Yup. Don't get me wrong here, for the non mink farming public, all of the above is obviously news worthy (we can't expect all the people in the world to catch up on COVID-19 news from each of the other 200-something countries in the world).
Old 10-10-2020, 05:13 PM   #6535
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
It's almost as if jamming kids back into school would have a (wholly expected) negative effect about 6 weeks down the road.

SI

Ultimately the main issue is people interacting with kids then spreading it. Kids transmissions playing their part is clear by now, but it's one factor among many (not the dominant one by any stretch) and compared to other factors, here we actually do have a case where i subscribe to the collateral damage outcry.

Kids going Back to school should not be framed as the issue, not creating the framework to do it (by reducing community transmission and installing effective surveillance and test/trace/isolate schemes) should.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 10-10-2020 at 05:16 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #6536
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I'm going to share first hand experience of how COVID-19 is running through my most nearby family, without sharing who is who (except on which one I am).

This all took place in the last 10 days, I'll go by calling them A+B, C+D and E. A+B visited C+D on October 1st, had diner there. E visited C+D on the 2nd, had diner there. I visited E on the 4th for about 3 hours, having lunch there. A got sick and tested positive on October 5th (working in the business made it possible to be tested and get results quickly), is still sick at home. B immediately went into quarantine on the 5th, then already showing identical symptoms as A and is still too sick to go get tested at a public testing place. C+D started their 10-day compulsory quarantine on the 5th, with C developing a fever on the 8th, D today (10th) drove 25 miles and took C to get C tested, still awaiting results, while D will get tested on the 11th (tomorrow) and will need to drive 45 miles to get there (nope, they could not get tested at the same place at the same time). E consequently has decided to gone into quarantine since the 8th (while technically not yet compulsory, if C tests positive, E has to quarantine through the 12th). For me, this means that I'll be next if E starts showing symptoms before the 15th, or if I show symptoms myself (in which case it could force E to extend quarantine through the 15th as well).

Side effect of all of them going into quarantine, I've been doing grocery shopping for B, C+D and E in the last 4 days, that's what you do as a family. I drop everything off at the door (literally, they pick it up after I leave), conversation is limited to "hi" and "bye" from 10 feet away through the open door. We'll talk over the phone when I get home.

We've all (tried to) follow the distancing guidelines, hygiene rules, we've done so for months, every time any of us decided to visit each other. We're all wary of the virus when we go outside, etc, etc. For now, I'm going by the theory that we overlooked that it's now autumn and properly ventilating rooms becomes an oversight, while the temperature changes make the body more vulnerable to catching a cold. All all of the above could theoretically be just a fluke, C+D may get lucky and not be infected (pending testing results).

Still conclusion to me: social distancing is still key, especially now in the autumn. Seriously. Seriously! Everything you do, wherever you will meet other people, stay aware that you or they may carry this without knowing it.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 10-10-2020 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:46 AM   #6537
Edward64
Head Coach

Sorry to hear about all your hassles, hope you aren't infected.

Our family is spread all across the country. We have all agreed not to meetup for Thanksgiving or Christmas this year. I can see how with family close by, you are more apt/obligated to visit, do dinners etc.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:47 AM   #6538
Edward64
Head Coach

So what's the final word on Halloween.

Are you doing it this year? and if so, how are you handing out candy?
Old 10-11-2020, 06:47 AM   #6539
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'll bet turkey sales go way down this year and cornish game hen sales go way up.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:37 AM   #6540
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

I think we are going to put out a bowl on the front step, but who knows with COVID numbers going up in the county again. And we too are not doing Thanksgiving or Xmas with family, not even with our closer relatives here in SC
Old 10-11-2020, 08:42 AM   #6541
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Nothing. I typically enjoy it, but this year, I am so sick of people and Covid, that I don't think we're going to do it this year. The boys are all grown up now anyway.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:53 AM   #6542
spleen1015
Coordinator

We typically do Thanksgiving with my inlaws, but this year I think I am going to insist that we don't.

I told you guys they got COVID. In the hospital on Wednesday, released on Saturday after getting the antibody treatment. Then, the next Wednesday, they went to a casino.

They're not responsible so I don't want to deal with them.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:56 AM   #6543
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I'll bet turkey sales go way down this year and cornish game hen sales go way up.

My wife read somewhere that they are growing smaller turkeys. Less of the 20 lb ones.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:25 AM   #6544
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

For Halloween this year we are getting together with our bubble of friends. Going to hang out in the driveway with fire pit, folding chairs, drinks, etc. while the kids go out and parents take turns accompanying them. May be one of the last times we can get together for a while.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:36 PM   #6545
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Y'all all stay safe, OK. There's a lot more we don't know than stuff we do know.

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:57 PM   #6546
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Y'all all stay safe, OK. There's a lot more we don't know than stuff we do know.
Really cannot imagine myself voluntarily participating in an indoor activity within the next year. https://t.co/QQP1UILioX pic.twitter.com/GRujCll0W3
— Osita Nwanevu (@OsitaNwanevu) October 11, 2020

My wife and I are both more concerned about the risks of long term effects from COVID than the chance of death, considering our personal health profiles (40ish, decent shape, no other risk factors).

SI

Old 10-11-2020, 03:27 PM   #6547
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I told you guys they got COVID. In the hospital on Wednesday, released on Saturday after getting the antibody treatment. .

I've read that insurance is supposed to pick up 100% of the tab. Can you confirm this is true? Or did they have to meet their deductible first?
Old 10-11-2020, 03:30 PM   #6548
Edward64
Head Coach

PSA: I went to Publix to get my flu shot. Publix will give you a $10 gift card so with insurance picking up the tab, it was $10 free groceries. Also, the pharmacist said its been more busy than she remembers.

No gift cards from CVS last year. Not sure if this is a new thing.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:33 AM   #6549
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

In addition to staying safe, y'all keep your kids safe, too. This virus hasn't come to play. When it is all said and done, I think that the mortality rate will not be the biggest lasting effect of COVID infections:

41 children in LA County sickened by rare inflammatory syndrome linked to COVID-19 | CBS 17
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:48 AM   #6550
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just heard the state of North Dakota only has 20 beds left and they may need to send people out of state. I really wish people in rural areas learned from what us in the northeast went through.