Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-31-2020, 05:54 PM   #6651
Edward64
Head Coach

About 10 kids so far in 30 min.

Candy bucket is still doing good on the metal folding chair in front of the door. Open the shade some so the dog can be an early warning system for us.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 07:47 PM   #6652
Thomkal
Head Coach

Very cool Glen. We didn't buy much candy this year because the past couple we just didn't get much, The neighborhood has become a lot kid-friendly this year with new houses going up like crazy, but on the opposite side from us. Then we thought the virus might hold them back. 24 Reeses gone by 7:30 ish though I'm pretty sure some kids took more than the one we asked them to take-shocking I know.

Pretty funny to hear a couple of the kids reading the sign and tell their parents they could only take one...and then the parents making sure they only took one
Old 10-31-2020, 08:31 PM   #6653
Edward64
Head Coach

All done for the night. 3/5 refills gone so it'll be a challenge to resist eating the leftover candy!

Hope the kids had fun. We really didn't as we didn't get to greet the kids or see the costumes.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:40 PM   #6654
tarcone
Coordinator

Our neighborhood is one of the hot spots in town. This year we did not participate. Watching our healthy 19 year old daughter suffer with this virus changed how we do things.

There were a lot more houses dark this year. And a lot less people in our subdivision.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:22 PM   #6655
Edward64
Head Coach

Went to Costco to stock up today.

Pretty busy. Everyone wearing masks except for husband-wife with mask pulled under the nose and an older lady in one of those power carts, rolling around with mask hanging off only on one ear. I felt like coughing on her.

I hope Costco tell their associates to challenge these entitled customers.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:29 PM   #6656
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Went to Costco to stock up today.

Pretty busy. Everyone wearing masks except for husband-wife with mask pulled under the nose and an older lady in one of those power carts, rolling around with mask hanging off only on one ear. I felt like coughing on her.

I hope Costco tell their associates to challenge these entitled customers.

Wearing your mask under the nose is the cool thing to do here. I've also noticed if one person in a family is doing it then they all do it.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:35 PM   #6657
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I came really close to snapping at an old lady today who was going the wrong way down the aisle at the grocery store.

Last edited by Lathum : 11-01-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:44 PM   #6658
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I came really close to snapping at an old lady today who was going the wrong way down the aisle at the grocery store.

I don't see those signs anymore at the stores I go to.

But will fess up that I've done that before. The one time, it was stickies on the floor and I didn't notice.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:07 PM   #6659
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

That is one thing that is pretty much not followed at all here. Even I feel like it's rather silly. I sort of wondered if it was like that everywhere, but I guess not. We still have many, many people who love, LOVE, to flaunt not wearing masks in the grocery.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:16 PM   #6660
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I don't think they even bother trying to do the arrows on the floor in Texas.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:29 PM   #6661
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My wal mart pulled them off the floor. people are brain dead.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:49 PM   #6662
whomario
Pro Starter

The good thing about Mask under nose ? Hurts them more than others if it comes down to it (and protecting others is still the main rational for masks) . Cause the virus likely loves to enter through the nose but unless they have a decidedly unusual way of breathing or are sneezing they hardly will expel much through it.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 11-01-2020 at 06:51 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:17 AM   #6663
tarcone
Coordinator

1st person in Missouri under the the age of 18 to die. And 8th grade student at a neighboring school district. He was obese, still, this may scare some people into wearing masks. Not man do in my county.

Old 11-02-2020, 07:46 AM   #6664
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think the arrows on the floor accomplish anything. For them to matter you'd need to severely limit the number of people in stores much further than we have, which you really can't do without making it unreasonably difficult for people to get the food they need.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:16 AM   #6665
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
1st person in Missouri under the the age of 18 to die. And 8th grade student at a neighboring school district. He was obese, still, this may scare some people into wearing masks. Not man do in my county.

The problem is people will just point out the fact he was obese, never mind the fact he would still be alive today had he not gotten covid.

The reality is people will always find a way to justify their actions.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:55 AM   #6666
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

The virus has me strongly considering going on a diet. My BMI is over 33.

Heck, I need to get in better shape regardless of the virus.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:15 AM   #6667
lungs
Pro Rookie

My friend’s brother had a wedding a few weekends back. Last count had 90 people at the wedding become infected. My boss’ kid’s daycare provider went on a group outing straight into the middle of one of the hottest spots in Wisconsin and proceeded to infect most of the kids under her care, which in turn got the parents infected and other people from there.

My boss did not get it, but his wife and daughter did. The wife was pretty sick, never hospitalized, but one of the more nasty sicknesses she’s ever had.

I’ve seemingly been surrounded by this virus for a few weeks now but haven’t gotten it yet. No, I was not at the wedding but had come into contact with people that turned out to be infected.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:21 AM   #6668
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
My friend’s brother had a wedding a few weekends back. Last count had 90 people at the wedding become infected. My boss’ kid’s daycare provider went on a group outing straight into the middle of one of the hottest spots in Wisconsin and proceeded to infect most of the kids under her care, which in turn got the parents infected and other people from there.

My boss did not get it, but his wife and daughter did. The wife was pretty sick, never hospitalized, but one of the more nasty sicknesses she’s ever had.

I’ve seemingly been surrounded by this virus for a few weeks now but haven’t gotten it yet. No, I was not at the wedding but had come into contact with people that turned out to be infected.

Do you have type O blood type?
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:42 AM   #6669
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Do you have type O blood type?

Not sure.

I wouldn’t say I definitely should have contracted it. But I was in the same room and came within six feet and had a conversation with somebody that became symptomatic less than a week later. Perhaps I just didn’t get a big enough viral load. Whatever the reason, I’m not going to pretend I won’t get it.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:03 PM   #6670
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Because 2020:

Grr. Struggling to post an image from my phone. The white board in my hospital room lists my nurse for today as "Daivd."

Figured it would be appreciated around these parts.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:33 PM   #6671
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Seeing what the NE went through in March/April this sort of thing frustrates me so much. Is it so hard to learn from others mistakes?
Old 11-02-2020, 01:17 PM   #6672
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Because 2020:

Grr. Struggling to post an image from my phone. The white board in my hospital room lists my nurse for today as "Daivd."

Figured it would be appreciated around these parts.
You made my day, Vince. Even without the pic, you can't make that stuff up.
I hope you recover well, quick and smoothly!
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 01:28 PM   #6673
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Not sure.

I wouldn’t say I definitely should have contracted it. But I was in the same room and came within six feet and had a conversation with somebody that became symptomatic less than a week later. Perhaps I just didn’t get a big enough viral load. Whatever the reason, I’m not going to pretend I won’t get it.

The old lady has been exposed twice now but hasn't picked it up. She's crediting her O - blood type so just a guess.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 02:46 PM   #6674
tarcone
Coordinator

I am O+, I wonder if that will keep me from getting infected. No way do I want this.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:24 PM   #6675
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
You made my day, Vince. Even without the pic, you can't make that stuff up.
I hope you recover well, quick and smoothly!

Glad someone else enjoyed it - it definitely made me smile.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:49 PM   #6676
JPhillips
General Manager

Hope you get a chance to visit the beer tent soon!

btw My colleague is negative, so I can leave quarantine tomorrow and go to work.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:07 PM   #6677
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I was cast as Sherlock Holmes in the play Baskerville a little more comical version of Sherlock holmes tale. The director assured me that blocking and such would be safe. We got into blocking and...everyone is wearing masks...but the director isn't spacing everyone despite our stage being huge. yself I would always take a step or two away from people and still make it seem natural. But others did not in fact the Watson stupidly keeps speaking DIRECTLY at people. All this made me uneasy so I asked him and the stage manager again if we could make things safer and wondered how we were doing the play. He said no masks. But can we space things out better? Yeah yeah he said. Then we went right back the next week doing the same thing...some scenes could be spaced...others not. And he expects me to keep doing this with Mr Indiana Watson spewing his particles at me from point blank range. Oh yes and there WILL be an audience. a huge audience that will be spaced. Do I believe that the audience will keep their masks on? Not a fucking chance in this very rural suburb. So even tho the facility (a community arts center) seemed on the ball and masked...it seems that they let things go. Like a dance studio there where all the kids were not wearing masks while dancing. They said "oh but their temps are taken!" SO FUCKING WHAT!?!?!?

I could not take the chance....Last weekend things went to Purple in Ohio but they didn't call it purple because our governor lost his balls to the red senate and of course trump will cry if he tries to save people.

So dewine will NOT cancel anything until after the election for certain.

So I had to quit. It was sad to give up a sweet lead role...but I feel I'd certainly get covid if I continued. They just aren't being safe. They understood, wished me well, ..yet seem to be full steams ahead in their way of doing a full blown production.

and despite this being more abstract farce they seem to be doing big sets for every scene...which isn't really what is needed here. sigh I hate community theatre sometimes...
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:07 PM   #6678
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
I am O+, I wonder if that will keep me from getting infected. No way do I want this.

how will THAT help?
have they discovered a blood type link that isn't used in a doctor who plot?
Old 11-02-2020, 09:08 PM   #6679
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Hope you get a chance to visit the beer tent soon!

btw My colleague is negative, so I can leave quarantine tomorrow and go to work.

Yay!
Old 11-02-2020, 09:58 PM   #6680
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I was cast as Sherlock Holmes in the play Baskerville a little more comical version of Sherlock holmes tale. The director assured me that blocking and such would be safe. We got into blocking and...everyone is wearing masks...but the director isn't spacing everyone despite our stage being huge. yself I would always take a step or two away from people and still make it seem natural. But others did not in fact the Watson stupidly keeps speaking DIRECTLY at people. All this made me uneasy so I asked him and the stage manager again if we could make things safer and wondered how we were doing the play. He said no masks. But can we space things out better? Yeah yeah he said. Then we went right back the next week doing the same thing...some scenes could be spaced...others not. And he expects me to keep doing this with Mr Indiana Watson spewing his particles at me from point blank range. Oh yes and there WILL be an audience. a huge audience that will be spaced. Do I believe that the audience will keep their masks on? Not a fucking chance in this very rural suburb. So even tho the facility (a community arts center) seemed on the ball and masked...it seems that they let things go. Like a dance studio there where all the kids were not wearing masks while dancing. They said "oh but their temps are taken!" SO FUCKING WHAT!?!?!?

I could not take the chance....Last weekend things went to Purple in Ohio but they didn't call it purple because our governor lost his balls to the red senate and of course trump will cry if he tries to save people.

So dewine will NOT cancel anything until after the election for certain.

So I had to quit. It was sad to give up a sweet lead role...but I feel I'd certainly get covid if I continued. They just aren't being safe. They understood, wished me well, ..yet seem to be full steams ahead in their way of doing a full blown production.

and despite this being more abstract farce they seem to be doing big sets for every scene...which isn't really what is needed here. sigh I hate community theatre sometimes...

There's no safe way to do plays indoors right now. I can't do my Fall production, so I've been working with playwrights and actors on new play development over Zoom. It stinks, but I'm not even comfortable with forcing people into rehearsals, nevermind performances with audiences.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:19 AM   #6681
Edward64
Head Coach

CNN is reporting that Canada is seeing a spike 3 weeks after their Thanksgiving. We aren't going anywhere but the 2 kids will be back from college.

Honestly, it's tough to ask not do family get togethers and we are probably going to be more exposed with 2 college kids coming home.

I wonder if the message should be - everyone go get tested just before any get togethers?

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-03-2020 at 06:35 AM.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:41 AM   #6682
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Problem with that would be there's no way to test that volume of people all at once before a major holiday.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:58 AM   #6683
Edward64
Head Coach

Below story got me thinking.

I get western countries want to wait for Phase 3 trials to be completed and vaccines to be proven safe before distribution.

But should third world (and developing) countries take the risk and offer voluntary Phase 2 in-progress vaccines knowing there will be risks to a "smaller percentage" of the population vs the crushing economic disaster.

Compared to western counterparts, many third world citizens are enduring more of a severe crisis and don't have the support system we have. My guess is they won't rebound as quickly either.

I think it's an interesting question when the context is not from the western pov but more from third world or developing.

From Aljazeera (link was causing problems)
Quote:
Prime minister and vice president of the United Arab Emirates and ruler of Dubai, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, has said he received a coronavirus vaccine shot.
:
Al Maktoum also shared a photo with his post, in which he was seen receiving a shot, developed by China’s Sinopharm.
:
On October 16, Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, foreign minister of the UAE, received the vaccine, followed by Mohammed Abdullah al-Gergawi, the UAE minister for cabinet affairs.

Front-line healthcare workers in the UAE also got the shot, according to local media reports.
:
The vaccine is now in the third and final stage of clinical trials and has so far been found safe and effective, local media reported, citing the authorities.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-03-2020 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:47 AM   #6684
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
There's no safe way to do plays indoors right now. I can't do my Fall production, so I've been working with playwrights and actors on new play development over Zoom. It stinks, but I'm not even comfortable with forcing people into rehearsals, nevermind performances with audiences.

I've done like 3 zoom productions so far and they've been great plus tons of auditions.

A different local group is doing a "radio play" series. Where actors performs in a theatre but they are all widely spaced and reading off music stands and are both audio and video recorded. No audience. They are then releasing the recordings in facebook and youtube channel.

As for THIS play with only 5 people in the cast it COULD have been done safely. We could have been spaced out across the stage without it even looking awkward. The rehearsals were safe. I don't know about the audience. With recycled air that's might make it unsafe. There is enough room in this theatre that they'd be like way up in the nose bleed sections all spaced out. But I think the only people that would go are people that won't keep their masks on.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:50 AM   #6685
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

But should third world (and developing) countries take the risk and offer voluntary Phase 2 in-progress vaccines knowing there will be risks to a "smaller percentage" of the population vs the crushing economic disaster.

I think the issue would become if the vaccine ends up not being viable you have a large swath of people thinking they are immune who aren't and difficulty following up with them to advise them they aren't.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:09 AM   #6686
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

I'll audition for you!
Old 11-03-2020, 10:05 AM   #6687
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I've done like 3 zoom productions so far and they've been great plus tons of auditions.

A different local group is doing a "radio play" series. Where actors performs in a theatre but they are all widely spaced and reading off music stands and are both audio and video recorded. No audience. They are then releasing the recordings in facebook and youtube channel.

As for THIS play with only 5 people in the cast it COULD have been done safely. We could have been spaced out across the stage without it even looking awkward. The rehearsals were safe. I don't know about the audience. With recycled air that's might make it unsafe. There is enough room in this theatre that they'd be like way up in the nose bleed sections all spaced out. But I think the only people that would go are people that won't keep their masks on.

I'm not comfortable with hours in a theatre daily rehearsing. I have some friends doing more filming, but that has to be done well to look good and I don't have the budget or manpower to do it well.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:41 PM   #6688
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quick reminder

The US just reported its highest number of new coronavirus infections in a single day -- 102,831 on Wednesday, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:53 PM   #6689
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Clearly did not disappear after Election Day

SI

Old 11-05-2020, 01:49 PM   #6690
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

It has to wait until the election is settled. It magically disappears by December is what I've been told.

I'm sure that date just moves after they realize that didn't actually happen.
Old 11-05-2020, 01:52 PM   #6691
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
It has to wait until the election is settled. It magically disappears by December is what I've been told.

I'm sure that date just moves after they realize that didn't actually happen.

Oh, duh. Makes sense

SI

Old 11-05-2020, 02:06 PM   #6692
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Clearly did not disappear after Election Day

SI

You kidding me? All I hear on the news is democrats stealing the election this/Patriots saving America that. I don't hear nuthin bout no China flu.

My wife literally deals with these people every day. She runs an internal medicine group in SC. They went 25 for 25 positive on patient COVID tests yesterday. New high for a perfect day.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:59 PM   #6693
kingfc22
Head Coach

https://apnews.com/article/counties-...6715da6edb6ebf

Not surprising
Old 11-05-2020, 10:17 PM   #6694
PilotMan
Head Coach

A couple days of 120k new cases, and 1,200 deaths do not bode well. The fact that deaths are up more than 20% over where they have been should be cause for some alarm. Then look at where new cases are and it should set up a certain level of panic.

Like Steam?

Old 11-05-2020, 10:24 PM   #6695
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I suspect there's a good chance there will be an additional spike from the millions of people who voted in person on Tuesday.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:42 PM   #6696
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
I suspect there's a good chance there will be an additional spike from the millions of people who voted in person on Tuesday.

St. Charles County poll worker tested positive for COVID-19, worked Election Day and has died, county says | St. Charles | stltoday.com

In Trumpsville, Indiana, the guy who took me to my station and showed me how to vote wore his mask under his nose the entire time.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:33 AM   #6697
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post

Not exactly a high risk situation as such. The congregating before and after are more of an issue.

But what will be putting the nail(s) in the coffin are Thanksgiving and Christmas. Especially since it will be by definition multi-generational gatherings and thus punching through any sort of barrier that's still keeping transmissions within younger age groups. Going into those days with the levels of spread that are developing now ... Sad as it sounds, but the one thing that might help is the near envitabilizy of 1500-2000 deaths days before that making people perk up and take note (delay between cases and deaths is what it is and the US 7 day average is now almost twice as high in cases as they were 3 weeks ago).
If people by and large don't at least try to lower the odds in some way this is guaranteed to be a desaster.
(smaller groups, shorter meetings, open windows wide in between and maybe use the time to physically leave the room, severely limit social interactions beforehand or even do a mini-isolation, stay the hell away if you had known close exposure, feel sth coming on or even have distinct symptoms like funny smell/taste)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 11-06-2020 at 02:35 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:02 PM   #6698
PilotMan
Head Coach

The 7 day moving average of new cases is far above any previous number. We've hit well over 100k the past few days in a row. We passed the previous 7-day average high on Oct 26 and it's gone nearly vertical since. The last peak for the 7 day for new cases was on July 25. The corresponding peak of the highest 7 day average for deaths was on August 4 and we could have expected it to pass the previous average around the 5th or 6th, given the rise of new cases that we've seen recently, but it's not quite there yet. We don't know exactly if that's because of better treatment, more tests, or a weaker virus, but we can see a lessening of the strength of the correlation between those numbers. Having said that, we've been beyond that number 4 of the last 6 days, and should jump beyond it on the 8th or 9th at the current rate. The moving average for the last 3 days is at 188% percent of the previous peak moving 7 day where those numbers were derived. Using that, we should expect to see somewhere between 2000-2200 deaths per day as the 7 day moving average again, probably within the next 10-14 days. If the number of cases continues to rise, we'll blow past the previous high for the 7 day moving average for deaths per day (about 2250/day) from way back in April.

Like Steam?

Old 11-08-2020, 06:22 AM   #6699
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Trump's almost certain inadequate response to it will hurt him more then the stock market. We've coasted for three years while he golfed and tweeted because there were no real crises that required an effective President and Administration until now.
I didn’t think about that. You are right if there is a Katrina like response it could hurt him significantly.

Bronconick, you were right.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-08-2020 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:55 AM   #6700
Thomkal
Head Coach

I almost think that Biden should have thanked the Coronavirus for the endorsement. I think the Trump administration incompetence and dismissal of the threat played a part in his defeat.