Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-18-2020, 12:46 PM   #6801
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I've been having bad allergies the last week or two but that's because we've just started getting fall here. Still, had led to some nervous moments.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:37 PM   #6802
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
fuck those selfish assholes. I blame them. Grandma, mom, dad, etc...aren't missing their wedding no matter what.

Should the guests have some personal responsibility? Absolutely, but the way you keep your wedding from being a super spreader event is don't have the wedding.

Having done a bunch of weddings over the last few months at our winery, I can tell you with great certainty that simply having weddings is not going to result in a 'super spreader' event. The real problem is people refusing to wear masks at those events. They're all in a room, getting drunk, and refusing to wear masks. At some point, personal responsibility becomes a major contributing factor. Governments are having to act because people can't be troubled to smack a mask on their face for a few hours.

Same things are happening late nights at local watering holes, hence the reason for the 10:00 closing times on bars/restaurants.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:10 PM   #6803
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

So I am sent notifications when someone employed at the store where I shop for a living tests positive for COVID. That's happened 5-6 times since the spring. Half of those have been in the past two weeks.

This could become problematic.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:13 PM   #6804
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well that's just terrifying
Old 11-18-2020, 02:39 PM   #6805
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Having done a bunch of weddings over the last few months at our winery, I can tell you with great certainty that simply having weddings is not going to result in a 'super spreader' event. The real problem is people refusing to wear masks at those events. They're all in a room, getting drunk, and refusing to wear masks. At some point, personal responsibility becomes a major contributing factor. Governments are having to act because people can't be troubled to smack a mask on their face for a few hours.

Same things are happening late nights at local watering holes, hence the reason for the 10:00 closing times on bars/restaurants.

That is the key point across the board in current times, and seems to be sadly lacking in a great many people in both our countries
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:20 PM   #6806
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I went to a wedding in late October and basically had a panic attack in the parking lot with the way everyone was crammed into such a small space. Had that same wedding happened this weekend, or the one before, I would have passed.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:20 PM   #6807
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

KY taking a series of steps to try to get Covid spread under control.

Somebody explain how this is going to be enforced.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:23 PM   #6808
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

It won't, just like California's, or the Michigan two-household standard. Some will comply voluntarily, but it's mostly an exercise in appearing to do something.
Old 11-18-2020, 04:02 PM   #6809
henry296
College Starter

Nothing the states say is really enforceable.
Old 11-18-2020, 04:56 PM   #6810
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
It won't, just like California's, or the Michigan two-household standard. Some will comply voluntarily, but it's mostly an exercise in appearing to do something.

This goes back to Mizzou’s point

Quote:
Originally posted by Mizzou B-ball fan
At some point, personal responsibility becomes a major contributing factor

If people are too dumb to realise that this is for their own good and don’t follow the group size mandates, no sympathy if they get sick
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:32 PM   #6811
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Ugh, I've been informed that my 90+ year old grandmother has been diagnosed with covid
Old 11-18-2020, 05:34 PM   #6812
Ksyrup

Sorry to hear. Hope she gets through it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-18-2020, 05:39 PM   #6813
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

People are missing the point if they're primarily focusing on the masks, it's just a little piece of the puzzle. Masks aren't going to help you not infect others if you're not keeping enough distance, starting walking around, or wear flimsy material. The area being ventilated well is important as well. Additionally, putting the same mask on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off takes away from your own protection because you'll increase the number of times you're touching your face and increasing the odds of touching germs on the outside of that re-used mask.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:59 PM   #6814
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
Nothing the states say is really enforceable.

My state has done somewhat more than the states who did nothing, but not much compared to other states. As far as restrictions/lock-downs. A lot of people are calling for more mask mandates, but I really wonder if they would help. Most everyone is wearing masks in the liberal-ish parts of the state (Boise, Sun Valley, Moscow), and almost nobody is wearing them everywhere else. I don't believe any anti-maskers are going to start wearing a mask because the government tells them to at this point. If anything, I think they'd become more defiant, and we'd see more gatherings.

It doesn't seem like any state is really enforcing any mandates on individuals, but some are going after businesses, which are of course easier to regulate.

Last edited by molson : 11-18-2020 at 06:00 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:47 PM   #6815
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB
If people are too dumb to realise that this is for their own good and don’t follow the group size mandates, no sympathy if they get sick

Well, for a lot of people dumb or not isn't the issue; they value other things more highly than whether or not they get sick. The point I was making was about enforcement, not feeling sorry for anybody - ultimately at some point we decide to take the hit that comes from enforcement or we don't. Both approaches are problematic in different ways.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:37 PM   #6816
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Ah, man. Sorry to hear, Nobodyhere.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:27 PM   #6817
JPhillips
General Manager

Sorry to hear, Nobody. Wish her the best.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:04 PM   #6818
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
KY taking a series of steps to try to get Covid spread under control.

Somebody explain how this is going to be enforced.

Aren't they all cousins anyway? I kid, it's just as bad in Illinois, no one listens to the restrictions down state anyway and they're not being enforced. Our local hospital is buckling and there's no slowdown in sight. Until it's them, the locals all maintain it's a big hoax.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:16 PM   #6819
Kodos
Resident Alien

I hope your grandma will be okay. Scary for sure.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:59 AM   #6820
whomario
Pro Starter

If nothing else, you have sth to add on when called for a noise complaint for example.

But almost none of any of the broader measures short of an actual "can't leave the house" mandate can be effectively enforced as such. But how is that different from a shit ton of other stuff at normal times ? Knowing it's not allowed is enough for plenty of people, for whome a mere recommendation isn't. There's also plenty of people who actually do make the connection that a mandate/law means that the problem is greater as opposed to it being merely combated with recommendations. That's human.
You don't need everybody to do it to get an effect.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:38 AM   #6821
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCub View Post
Our local hospital is buckling and there's no slowdown in sight.

This. We only have so many hospital beds and medical professionals to serve the communities. It is not an unlimited resource.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:47 AM   #6822
JPhillips
General Manager

JFC

We need to bring back tar and feathering.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:44 AM   #6823
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
If nothing else, you have sth to add on when called for a noise complaint for example.

But almost none of any of the broader measures short of an actual "can't leave the house" mandate can be effectively enforced as such. But how is that different from a shit ton of other stuff at normal times ? Knowing it's not allowed is enough for plenty of people, for whome a mere recommendation isn't. There's also plenty of people who actually do make the connection that a mandate/law means that the problem is greater as opposed to it being merely combated with recommendations. That's human.
You don't need everybody to do it to get an effect.

We've had a mask mandate since August. We've been warned against gatherings since March, including earlier limits on public gatherings and plenty of warnings about Memorial Day/July 4th/Labor Day/Halloween private get-togethers. The idea that now, an unenforceable restriction on private gatherings is going to do anything is laughable. In fact, I'd say that the same people who had no problem ignoring the previous advice will actually go out of their way to ignore the mandate. Within minutes of the governor's press conference, our Congressman issued a hyperbolic statement about destroying businesses, etc.

The restrictions on schools, restaurants, etc., might have an effect. The private gathering one will not - at least not for that portion of the population who has been ignoring the pandemic for 8 months.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:25 PM   #6824
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

You know what's dumb? That the CDC is NOW making statmeents telling people not to travel....instead of oh I don't know...a month ago. Why? because they were forbidden to by Trump and Pets so they could do their pet rallies. Their statements seriously mean nothing. Anyone who is smart won't travel and anyone who is stupid will. Thanksgiving is a joke of a holiday. It's a feed your face fest. Anyone can go to Kroger or costco and pick up a readybaked Turjkey with all the fixins and watch each other chew with their mouth open, drink a bottle of wine, say embarrassing things on zoom. This forced togetherness of the holidays has always been just really dumb....on the otherhand.....it does speak that if a holiday has to fortce you to see your family maybe there's a reason....one of which no one gets along the other being you are lazy and don't go home often enough. But either way doing so now is more of a punishment for all than usual.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:47 PM   #6825
GrantDawg

Sorry, Crimson. I don't know who hurt you.

I love Thanksgiving. I love being with my extended family, telling stories and laughing. Watching the dog show, and then football while cracking jokes and eating great food. It is my favorite holiday, and it sucks it won't happen this year the same way.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:47 PM   #6826
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

So apparently today we went back up over 2k for the first time and a number of other countries esp. Italy are doing worse proportionally. That's after the weekend being lower, even accounting for the usual Tuesday late-reporting bump. How long until 2k or worse becomes the new normal once again I wonder?
Old 11-19-2020, 10:00 PM   #6827
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:33 PM   #6828
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Sorry, Crimson. I don't know who hurt you.

I love Thanksgiving. I love being with my extended family, telling stories and laughing. Watching the dog show, and then football while cracking jokes and eating great food. It is my favorite holiday, and it sucks it won't happen this year the same way.

And then, after a full day of awesome food and football, you get to enjoy a 3 day weekend! I love that Thanksgiving gets the "holiday" part of the holiday out of the way at the beginning. 4 days and it's on day 1.

Not like Easter, which is always on a Sunday. Like seriously, what asshole schedules a holiday to always happen on a day you have off from work anyway!?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:24 AM   #6829
tarcone
Coordinator

Just saw on the news 471,000 more deaths expected by March 1st.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:40 AM   #6830
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Do you have any details on that tarcone? I'd be curious what assumptions it is based on, link to a source if there is one, etc.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:09 AM   #6831
miami_fan
Coordinator

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/20/healt...ion/index.html

Quote:
(CNN)Pfizer and BioNTech said they will submit to the US Food and Drug Administration today for an emergency use authorization for their coronavirus vaccine candidate.

This is the first coronavirus vaccine to seek a regulatory OK in the United States.
The companies said in a statement that their vaccine candidate, known as BNT162b2, will potentially be available for use in high-risk populations in the United States by the middle to end of December.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 11-20-2020 at 07:11 AM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:32 AM   #6832
Ksyrup

In a bizarre effort to further coddle the baby president, Geraldo Rivera suggests naming the vaccine after Trump as a "nice gesture."

I was thinking the next major advancement in hemorrhoid therapy, but(t)...
Old 11-20-2020, 08:29 AM   #6833
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Poland didn't fare badly in the spring, but apparently it's getting very bad there now.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:40 AM   #6834
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
In a bizarre effort to further coddle the baby president, Geraldo Rivera suggests naming the vaccine after Trump as a "nice gesture."

I was thinking the next major advancement in hemorrhoid therapy, but(t)...

I'm not putting anything attached to Trump in my body unless Cohen cuts me a check for 130K
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:43 AM   #6835
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

We could just call it the COVID vaccine, same as the flu vaccine or the polio vaccine or ...

no? Ok, it was just a thought.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:22 AM   #6836
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Trump will call it the China vaccine sooner or later...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:24 AM   #6837
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

The Tremendously Great American Donald Trump Vaccine Against the CHINA Virus or TTGADTVAtCV for short. I mean why not? We already have a TDaP

Last edited by dubb93 : 11-20-2020 at 10:25 AM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:23 PM   #6838
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Do you have any details on that tarcone? I'd be curious what assumptions it is based on, link to a source if there is one, etc.
One of many on this. It is the model the White house has been using.

US COVID-19 deaths could hit 400k by end of February, model finds
Old 11-20-2020, 03:25 PM   #6839
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

US COVID-19 deaths could hit 400k by end of February, model finds

How long has it been since pence declared victory again?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #6840
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg

400k total deaths by the end of February wouldn't surprise me. But what tarcone said was 471,000 more deaths, which would bring us to over 700k total.

That would be a horse of a different color.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:08 PM   #6841
Ksyrup

No, it's the latest model run that shows 471K total deaths by March assuming about 40 states enact mask mandates.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:15 PM   #6842
Ksyrup

Trump Jr has Covid. Rudy dyes his hair. Water is wet.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:41 PM   #6843
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Rudy Is in isolation. Andrew tested positive.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:50 PM   #6844
Ksyrup

Friday evening news dump.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:56 PM   #6845
Ksyrup

Now it's at least 4 WH aides in addition to Guiliani have tested positive.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:54 PM   #6846
Thomkal
Head Coach

They should just call it the Trump virus at this point, because pretty soon his whole family will have had it
Old 11-20-2020, 07:05 PM   #6847
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Call it TRRD

Trump related respiratory disease.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:21 PM   #6848
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Trump Related Under-Masked Pneumonia or "Trump Disease" for short.

Look - I'm not good at naming things

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:27 PM   #6849
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I mean Rudy's been displaying symptoms on live TV for seemingly three solid months now, this is a surprise to nobody.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:04 PM   #6850
Ksyrup

Turns out he was sweating so much because he probably had a 102 degree temp.