Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2020, 11:38 AM   #7051
PilotMan
Head Coach

I feel for you Grant. I mean, her boss shouldn't be asking that. They should be keeping her home until she's either negative and your daughter isn't contagious anymore. We didn't try to change anything in our home, and it was pretty clear that everyone was going to be sick. By the time it even looked like it might be Covid, everyone had been exposed and was feeling something. I hope that she comes through it without feeling too awful.

My wife is 2 weeks past her initial symptoms and is still exhausted. She's up for a bit, back to bed, all day long, still dealing with sore throat and congestion.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:24 PM   #7052
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

This is why a liability shield for COVID is awful. These exact stupid situations.

We all know what the right thing to do is, but we're not allowed to do them.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-13-2020 at 12:24 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #7053
Edward64
Head Coach

Looks like 2Q for the regular folks.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/13/healt...ssy/index.html
Quote:
Operation Warp Speed chief adviser Moncef Slaoui has projected Pfizer and Moderna together can make and deliver 60 million to 70 million vaccines in January, and hopes two other vaccines makers, AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson, will join the mix of authorized vaccines in the coming months.

"We can immunize 20 million in December, 30 million in January, 50 million in February," Slaoui said at the White House Tuesday. But he doesn't project having vaccinated the full population until June.
My wife would fall under 1b. I guess me and the kids would fall in group 2.

Quote:
ACIP member Dr. Robert Atmar, a professor of infectious diseases at Baylor College of Medicine, said ACIP will likely put essential workers into group 1b. "That would include teachers, people in law enforcement, firefighters and a variety of other groups, and then 1c would be persons with underlying conditions who had higher risk of developing complications or dying should they get Covid-19 and that would include persons over the age of 65," he said.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-13-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:29 PM   #7054
PilotMan
Head Coach

They'll be lucky if it's not closer to September before they have enough vaccinated.

Like Steam?

Old 12-13-2020, 09:35 PM   #7055
JPhillips
General Manager

Given the timeline for the two injections, vaccinating the WH staff first is pretty much bullshit.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:03 AM   #7056
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Given the timeline for the two injections, vaccinating the WH staff first is pretty much bullshit.

There's people in the WH that didn't already get infected ?
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:16 AM   #7057
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

On that point, are people who already got it going to get the vaccine? Eventually, you can get it again from what I understand. So by June I expect that even Covid positives from 2020 would need to get the vaccine, right?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:28 AM   #7058
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
They'll be lucky if it's not closer to September before they have enough vaccinated.

Yeah I don’t believe anything out this administration. Azar on TV this morning saying by end of March regular folks can walk into a Walgreens or CVS and get the vaccine like the flu vaccine. Sorry but does anyone believe that based on this administrations track record? I would say yeah that might happen March 2022. I am hoping my wife a public school teacher and my 90 year old mother can get the vaccine by August. As for me and my five teen age kids by Thanksgiving 2021. We should have reasonable expectations.

Last edited by Galaril : 12-14-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:33 AM   #7059
AlexB
Pro Starter

Not good news... 1000 cases of a new variant of the virus here

Trying to link to the BBC story, but been having problems posting links for a while without taking up the whole screen...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55308211

Last edited by AlexB : 12-14-2020 at 11:36 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:44 PM   #7060
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/14/healt...ess/index.html

Hey, remember for a few minutes in the summer when there were a handful of studies that were like "family transmission isn't terribly high" "or surprisingly rare" or whatever? Unsurprisingly, when we look closer at it, that is not the case and, frankly, never it really intuitively made sense.

In my mind, we generally don't quite understand the "how" of the virus but we understand the "what". It's a black box - we understand the outputs and inputs but we don't understand the exact mechanism. Viral load seems to matter a huge deal so duration and density of exposure are the major factors. Being older and/or with comorbidities exacerbate the illness significantly... but that's true of most illnesses. However, it's unlike the flu in that the old and the young are particularly vulnerable - more the old.

Remember how, at first, kids were not going to die. And then they did.

The airline industry keeps touting a study or two about how it's really safe to fly right now. Only, all that I've seen have been funded by industry groups and, again, it doesn't intuitively make sense with what was know about the disease.

Opening schools is really safe? C'mon, we know better. Any parents with kids will tell you how kids catch every illness under the sun and spread them around at school. There's no reason to think COVID would be any different. And, again, anyone with kids knows how well different age groups of kids will follow different sets of instructions like wearing masks and keeping socially distant.

That's not to say there aren't/won't be odd little quirks to the illness. But I've just been really skeptical of every time a study comes out that says it behaves significantly different than we think it should. We're past the point where we should be acting like we don't understand many of the major facets of this illness.

SI

Old 12-14-2020, 03:22 PM   #7061
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
I spent a good part of the day in the ER today. The boy woke up with vision issues and he really started escalating from there. We knew that his major symptoms were stuff we could manage, but he's also 17, and he needs to have some faith that we do know what we're doing. However, it was just one thing too much, and it was hard to argue against him. He ended up getting an IV with some pain meds for headaches, and an upper GI cocktail to control some of his stomach pain. All his tests and xrays came back normal, and he got to talk with the doctor for a while. He was reassured that he was ok, that he will be ok, that he won't be in danger at this point from the Covid, that the medication that we are giving him will be the best for him, and he left feeling much better about everything. The vision issues were stemming from a migraine style headache, that he's never had before. The rest is still just post-covid symptoms that they felt would take another couple weeks to resolve.

As a dad, this was a very hard choice. His mom and I could have argued that we know best, and that we are doing what we know is best for him, but at his age, it's hard to argue that he can't have a say in what is best for him. The bill is going to suck, but we have pretty good insurance, and are fortunate to have a little money to cover it. I think though, that we earned some teenager respect (which we aren't short on) and he got the information helped relieve his anxiety.

Back to the Doctor today with testicular pain that started late Saturday. There's no way that this is related to Covid, right? Good news is that it's not torsion. I was fully prepared to spend the rest of the day back at the hospital, but it wasn't that. It is indeed related, and can last for 3 months. He is really frustrated with all this. Next up is an ultrasound on his balls to make sure that he's got good flow. His doctor expects it to be fine, but needs to be totally sure. He said that my son is the 3rd case of this he's seen, but nobody else in his Dr group has had one. Typically it's with the worst cases, but my son seems to have really stepped out of the typical results here. He's down in the tenths of percent of total cases.

Like Steam?

Old 12-14-2020, 03:37 PM   #7062
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Back to the Doctor today with testicular pain that started late Saturday. There's no way that this is related to Covid, right? Good news is that it's not torsion. I was fully prepared to spend the rest of the day back at the hospital, but it wasn't that. It is indeed related, and can last for 3 months. He is really frustrated with all this. Next up is an ultrasound on his balls to make sure that he's got good flow. His doctor expects it to be fine, but needs to be totally sure. He said that my son is the 3rd case of this he's seen, but nobody else in his Dr group has had one. Typically it's with the worst cases, but my son seems to have really stepped out of the typical results here. He's down in the tenths of percent of total cases.
Poor guy. That is not where you want pain.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:57 PM   #7063
thesloppy
Pro Starter

His mood must be absolute shit. Best wishes for him, and you by extension.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:05 PM   #7064
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yikes. Sorry to hear that PM .
Old 12-14-2020, 05:22 PM   #7065
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Sorry to hear him going through this.

Yes, I would never have thought it was related. Pretty weird.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:08 PM   #7066
Izulde
Head Coach

Woke up this morning with symptoms. And of course Gmail was down right when I need to notify the principal. So I also called it in. Spoke to healthcare folks. They're marking me as presumed positive due to transportation issues to get tested. A mobile unit is coming to town Friday so I'll hike over and get tested then.

Mandatory 10 day quarantine and trying to navigate the paperwork needed since I'm going to teach from home unless I reach a point where I have to be hospitalized.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:35 PM   #7067
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Sorry, Izulde. Hope everything goes well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:51 PM   #7068
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
On that point, are people who already got it going to get the vaccine? Eventually, you can get it again from what I understand. So by June I expect that even Covid positives from 2020 would need to get the vaccine, right?

It's unknown as of yet how long either immunity 'version' (infection or vaccine) actually lasts for the majority. Just because there are confirmed reinfectionss doesn't mean it won't last quite a bit longer for the vast majority. On the flipside, the fact that reinfections are rare also doesn't guarantee it won't happen more often in a few months. Immunology is devilishly complex from what i understand (or not understand). So far the consensus is that it will fall somewhere between looooooong term immunity (the first SARS patients still are most likely immune) and a somewhat 'cycle' type thing.
It definitely is not a flu situation as some allude to on social media, simply because the issues with the flu are ones that aren't aplicable here (Flu is actually a varity of different viruses and disctinctly different 'sub-strains' that also change rather rapidly from season to season). Which again does not mean there aren't other factors at play. Just that whatever will turn out to be the case, it's not a "well, just look at flu" thing.

Here the question isn't wether the virus side of things changes too much, but if the immune systems reaction is creating enough of a protection for long lasting immunity. And if it does, the question is wether it protects against re-infection or 'only' against illness, meaning it'll be less severe the 2nd and 3rd time around. Where again a few counter-examples of people having a worse reaction don't mean that isn't the case for the vast majority. There's hardly ever any "always" with immunology or health in general.

And the vaccines come with pretty much the same caveats. They are designed to get the body to follow a certain 'playbook', but it's not foolproof. And the longevity itself, while not so rarely actually being longer from vaccination than infection (think of a vaccine as a pretend-infection optimized for the best outcome), still can't be pinpointed any better simply because the reference point from infections isn't there.

in short, i doubt there will be a "no vaccine for infected persons" formula, but on the other hand also not much harm if skipped for now. Especially if they still show antibodies (which of course i don't know if there are plans to provide that information via testing). Considering likely some 75% or more never get diagnosed, more in spring than now, there will be plenty who get both (and no, that's not a problem).
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 12-14-2020, 07:21 PM   #7069
Thomkal
Head Coach

Man Izulde, very sorry to hear that. (((big hug)))
Old 12-15-2020, 04:04 AM   #7070
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/14/healt...ess/index.html

Hey, remember for a few minutes in the summer when there were a handful of studies that were like "family transmission isn't terribly high" "or surprisingly rare" or whatever? Unsurprisingly, when we look closer at it, that is not the case and, frankly, never it really intuitively made sense.

In my mind, we generally don't quite understand the "how" of the virus but we understand the "what". It's a black box - we understand the outputs and inputs but we don't understand the exact mechanism. Viral load seems to matter a huge deal so duration and density of exposure are the major factors. Being older and/or with comorbidities exacerbate the illness significantly... but that's true of most illnesses. However, it's unlike the flu in that the old and the young are particularly vulnerable - more the old.

Remember how, at first, kids were not going to die. And then they did.

The airline industry keeps touting a study or two about how it's really safe to fly right now. Only, all that I've seen have been funded by industry groups and, again, it doesn't intuitively make sense with what was know about the disease.

Opening schools is really safe? C'mon, we know better. Any parents with kids will tell you how kids catch every illness under the sun and spread them around at school. There's no reason to think COVID would be any different. And, again, anyone with kids knows how well different age groups of kids will follow different sets of instructions like wearing masks and keeping socially distant.

That's not to say there aren't/won't be odd little quirks to the illness. But I've just been really skeptical of every time a study comes out that says it behaves significantly different than we think it should. We're past the point where we should be acting like we don't understand many of the major facets of this illness.

SI

I find it fascinating how media makes a narrative fresh again by choosing different numbers and assigning new meaning or combining vastly different study designs for an article Because the comprehensive META study basically bang on consolidates the earlier estimates. We always knew homes are 'hotspots' but the numbers also were surprisingly low. Which never meant "non-existant" but simply not high enough to explain the amount of spread.

And with kids the fact remains, that it spreads less than expected when comparing it to other viruses, to them and from them. It's just that nuance is a lost art and people want it to be all or nothing. With an Influenzavirus keeping schools open would be impossible, with this it is justified to at least try und n tandem with keeping transmissions lowiah in general. Unfortunately that part has proven nigh impossible without a heavy hand. But this remains the problem, not schools properly monitored and managed (of course not simply doing business as normal, that's daft) somehow kickstarting things.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:16 AM   #7071
Edward64
Head Coach

I think we know this already but reinforcing the "light at the end of the tunnel" news - regular people probably Mar-Apr-May.

I won't be surprised if the roll-out is faster and early part of that timeline. A focused President should be able to do wonders.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/14/covi...ly-spring.html
Quote:
In interviews with CNBC, Walgreens and CVS Health officials said they expect to give shots to the general public starting in the early spring.
:
Chris Cox, a senior vice president of CVS, said he hopes the company can give the vaccine at its drugstores “somewhere in the April/May timeframe.”

Two prominent public health officials — Dr. Anthony Fauci, White House coronavirus advisor, and Dr. Ashish Jha, dean of Brown University School of Public Health — both said Monday that they expect healthy Americans who don’t qualify for a vaccine due to their job or health condition to start getting the vaccine by late March or April.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:49 AM   #7072
Radii
Head Coach

I'm supposed to do some traveling to plan a potential cross country move in May/June, the timing will be perfect it would appear.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 02:07 PM   #7073
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So our county (Dekalb, GA) decided while cases are spiking higher than it's been, it's a GREAT time to open schools. So the plan is for teachers to go back January 4 and then students go back two weeks later. They used to have a cases per 100k standard, but they've decided to discard that because they are waaaay too far from meeting that standard.
Old 12-15-2020, 02:12 PM   #7074
Atocep
Coordinator

Our hospital starts vaccinating staff tomorrow. No word on a schedule or where our IT department will fall in line.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 02:54 PM   #7075
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Our hospital starts vaccinating staff tomorrow. No word on a schedule or where our IT department will fall in line.

Let us know how it goes (and any side effects) !
Old 12-15-2020, 04:10 PM   #7076
henry296
College Starter

Spent way too much time today looking at the COVID tracking project website. Based on current cases per 1MM people, the SE / Texas are among the lowest rates while the NE / MW are the bigger hot spots. Based on mask-wearing and public policy that surprised me. Do we think that is mostly driven by weather and increased indoor contact or just randomness of the virus?
Old 12-15-2020, 04:47 PM   #7077
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
Spent way too much time today looking at the COVID tracking project website. Based on current cases per 1MM people, the SE / Texas are among the lowest rates while the NE / MW are the bigger hot spots. Based on mask-wearing and public policy that surprised me. Do we think that is mostly driven by weather and increased indoor contact or just randomness of the virus?

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-upda...ositive-cases/
Texas and the SE got hammered hard in the 2nd wave (if we're counting March as the 1st, Summer as the 2nd, and now as the 3rd). We've been heading back up for the last month but it seems like other places were ahead of our pace early on. I think our worst months are going to be January and February while I think maybe some of the other parts of the country are cresting now.

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-upda...pital-systems/
That said, I think we're at a fraction of cases we were at then. We were running at an insane 20%+ on tests back then so we were badly under-counting cases.

I think people did modify their behavior here a bit back in June or July. But it's been back to "normal" for a while now so I'm not sure why it's taking until now to start ramping back up.

Maybe the weather is a significant factor - either physically or socially (more people indoors). It's been posited but I haven't seen a great conclusive study as to why.

SI

Old 12-15-2020, 04:51 PM   #7078
MIJB#19
Coordinator

We're back into semi-lockdown for 5 weeks. "Black Friday" will forever be about the rise of COVID-19 deaths and the second lockdown of 2020. What non-sense is it to have people cheer while having no frickin' clue why they brought over a should be unique to the USA tradition, which gets widely frauded with by yanking up prices 33% a week earlier to be able to claim to give 25% off.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:10 PM   #7079
Ksyrup

How can someone be a nurse 9 months into a pandemic and still be "politically motivated" to refuse a vaccine?

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-16-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:30 PM   #7080
miami_fan
Coordinator

What are they worried about politically? That the numbers might go down and that would benefit Biden?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:32 PM   #7081
RainMaker
General Manager

The country is split. Half want the virus to continue to infect people and the other half doesn't. No need to make it more confusing than it is.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:38 PM   #7082
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
How can someone be a nurse 9 months into a pandemic and still be "politically motivated" to refuse a vaccine?

5 days ago I was in a store to grab something real quick. I saw only two people without a mask, one was wearing an RN badge from the local hospital.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:51 PM   #7083
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
What are they worried about politically? That the numbers might go down and that would benefit Biden?
I know one nurse who isn't getting it because, well, it might make her look like a liberal. For some it's as basic as "my tribe isn't afraid of coronavirus, and my tribal identity is the most important identity I have."
Old 12-16-2020, 02:54 PM   #7084
Ksyrup

Yeah, I guess that's it. F reality, I am more concerned with being true to Trump/GOP than I am to my patients.
Old 12-16-2020, 03:39 PM   #7085
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

As I've said before, there are people I know in the medical profession, work in ERs, etc. who think the whole mask thing is absurd, have no plan to take the vaccine, etc. For some of them it isn't political, they believe the long-term older studies about mask effectiveness, don't buy the newer vaccine tech being used here, think it's too much of a rush, etc. Medical professionals.

There's a real divide here.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:19 PM   #7086
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
As I've said before, there are people I know in the medical profession, work in ERs, etc. who think the whole mask thing is absurd, have no plan to take the vaccine, etc. For some of them it isn't political, they believe the long-term older studies about mask effectiveness, don't buy the newer vaccine tech being used here, think it's too much of a rush, etc. Medical professionals.

Agree 100%. Both groups most definitely exist.
Old 12-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #7087
PilotMan
Head Coach

Even though both groups exist there is one of those two groups that is substantially larger, and newer to the entire argument against masks. Besides, all the people who are holding onto the old study that was published have ignored subsequent studies related, and instead of looking for the best answers are picking and choosing what is convenient for them.

Like the guy I flew with who based his entire point of view on the 'hoax' of global warming because he'd been flying over Siberia for 15 years and nothing had ever changed, therefore 'hoax'.

Like Steam?

Old 12-16-2020, 05:39 PM   #7088
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

That is why I asked about the specific group that said it was political. The people you are describing all seem to have non political reasons. I may agree or disagree with the reasoning but I do understand for the most part. That divide makes sense to me. I don’t understand not taking the vaccine because it may make them look like a liberal.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 12-16-2020, 05:45 PM   #7089
Ksyrup

I think Ben summed it up - being accepted by their tribe matters more.

I also think social media has allowed us to be so open about our beliefs to so many people that its harder to change your opinion/belief when you've been so vocal one way to so many people. When it was just you and your nuclear family and maybe a few people at work, it's a lot easier to flip on a position when you get more facts or are confronted with reality. But now, the embarrassment of admitting you got duped is too great, so these people are doubling down on these positions, to the point of believing misinformation and lies. And it's easy to do, because you can find support for literally ANY position and that justifies it.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:52 PM   #7090
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Not really. Most of those people are complete morons and in the minority.

I can maybe see young people being wary of the vaccine for awhile till it's been tested more. Anyone over 50 though is an imbecile for not getting it.

Even if you don't believe in science and think masks are ineffective, there is no harm in wearing them. It's like using a blinker at a light when there are no cars around.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:25 PM   #7091
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I know one nurse who isn't getting it because, well, it might make her look like a liberal. For some it's as basic as "my tribe isn't afraid of coronavirus, and my tribal identity is the most important identity I have."

What is there to be done then? If we get to a point where everyone who wants the vaccine can actually get it...? I mean, at a certain point don't you just have to shrug and let them do what they want, consequences be damned? Go ahead, kill yourself tilting at windmills all you like.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:35 PM   #7092
bhlloy
Coordinator

Problem is it’s relatively unlikely they go ahead and kill themselves but they may well still kill somebody at risk given all the vaccines are somewhere south of 95% effective.

So they can still stop us getting to herd immunity which means things still can’t get back to normal - which ironically is completely counterintuitive to their overall goals. But can’t let the snowflake libtard virus win or something.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:38 PM   #7093
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I think it's perfectly okay for some not to want to take it right away and yeah, taking it gives me a little pause as there has not been any long term studies and it is new tech. But the pros outweigh the cons.

I have no problems taking it in Mar+. But unsure if I really want to take it in in Dec (but reserve the right to change my mind).

Re: healthcare professionals, I was not able to find a poll. As of Nov, there was a poll that said about 65-35% would take it. My guess (and hope) is healthcare professionals will be much less than 35%.

As for masks, not sure what the study is but how could it not help lessen the spread, even some?
Old 12-16-2020, 06:44 PM   #7094
Edward64
Head Coach

Here's are the categories of people who should/not take it (at least for now).

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/16/healt...ine/index.html
Old 12-16-2020, 06:45 PM   #7095
miami_fan
Coordinator

Oliver Stone says he's taken Russian coronavirus vaccine | TheHill
Old 12-16-2020, 06:46 PM   #7096
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well, and the vaccines are guaranteed to kill some people. Everything carries risk with it. But the risks from not taking the vaccine far, far outweigh the stories about them killing people. Those stories are going to be the headlines on many news leads, but it's not going to focus the story. Instead it'll be how someone got sick, died, and how the vaccines are now suddenly unsafe. Then there will be lawsuits, and a shitload of negative coverage. Guaranteed. But you know, if we don't have any vaccines instead of a few thousand who might die, it'll be a few hundred thousand more who die without it.

Like Steam?

Old 12-16-2020, 06:55 PM   #7097
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Well, this isn't the first group of people that Brian claims to know an entire set of, that isn't represented by a single person here or a single person known by anybody here. Do all these medical professionals come from the Reason.com comments, by any chance?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 12-16-2020 at 07:04 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:55 PM   #7098
RainMaker
General Manager

People who tried to spread the virus should not be first in line for a vaccine.

COVID-19 the leading cause of death for US police officers in 2020
Old 12-16-2020, 07:15 PM   #7099
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Problem is it’s relatively unlikely they go ahead and kill themselves
Bingo. This is a 30something in great physical condition and I don’t believe her to have any comorbidities. Odds are if she gets it, she’s fine in a few days. Just a combination of selfishness and overly tribal identity—neither of which are uncommon traits in our society.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:36 PM   #7100
Edward64
Head Coach

I have a sister and brother that are RN's. I have 2 SIL that are RN's. I have a BIL that is an OBGYN. Of that group, one said they would not take it anytime soon. I don't view this relative as crazy or irrational, just a different way of assessing risks vs benefits.

So yeah, they exist.