Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
Passacaglia
Coordinator

FOFC Advanced Civilization, Take Two

We're up to 8 players now, so we're starting a new game!

The order:

1. Passacaglia (sorry)
2. britrock
3. CrimsonFox
4. tarcone
5. Warhammer
6. path12
7. Autumn
8. furrball

Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
Passacaglia
Coordinator

With the first pick in the FOFC Advanced Civilization, Take Two, Civilization Draft, Passacaglia selects....Egypt!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
Autumn
Head Coach

Bastard.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
britrock88
Pro Starter

<-: Babylon
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Passacaglia
Coordinator

CirmsonFox has selected Iberia.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

oh. yeah. that...

I beria
You someplace else

( Only took me 5 minutes to figure out how to take my turn! )

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 10-16-2012 at 03:36 PM.
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I just noticed that furrball got last choice in both games.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I just noticed that furrball got last choice in both games.

It's an FOFConspiracy!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #9
Passacaglia
Coordinator

More picks are in!

1. Passacaglia -- Egypt
2. britrock -- Babylon
3. CrimsonFox -- Iberia
4. tarcone -- Crete
5. Warhammer -- Assyria
6. path12 -- Illyria
7. Autumn -- Thrace
8. furrball
Old 10-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #10
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

He gets the raaaaains down in Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaafricaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Old 10-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #11
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
He gets the raaaaains down in Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaafricaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Correct! furrball has chosen Africa.

We move on to Round 1. I'll keep updating this one as we go for the benefit of our dear readers, making it the "official" game, and I won't do it in the "Take One" game anymore, but feel free to discuss that game over there as much as you'd like!

1. Collect Taxes (possible city revolts)
2. Population Expansion
3. Census
4. Ship construction and maintenance
5. Movement

6. Conflict
7. City construction
8. Remove surplus population (check for city support)
9. Trade card acquisition
10. Trade
11. Resolve calamaties (check for city support)
12. Acquisition of civilization cards
13. Movement of succession markers on the AST

1 through 4 are pretty straightforward. No taxes, everyone expands from 1 to 2, no ship construction or maintenance. We go on to Movement. Not much to speak of there -- everyone's pretty much working their way to cities, the middle of the board, or their nearest neighbor. We're about halfway through the phase now.

Last edited by Passacaglia : 10-19-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Update from Weekend play -- we're in to the Movement phase of Round 2 right now. Other phases have been pretty boring -- the gist now is that we've all got 4 population units to move around.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
Passacaglia
Coordinator

And we're into Round 3. We had a little snafu where CF accidentally built a ship that didn't go anywhere, but we got the site admin to fix it. Everyone moved up to 8 population, with twocivs at 6:

Crete spent 2 population to build a ship. A wise move for Crete, since they need to get off of Crete and spread out somewhere else.
Illyria only expanded by 2. They must have had 4 population in either Germany or Pannonia, and since population expansion is limited to 2 per territory, they missed out on their potential expansion. Could be a mistake, or could be designed to have the last move in the round.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #14
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
And we're into Round 3. We had a little snafu where CF accidentally built a ship that didn't go anywhere, but we got the site admin to fix it. Everyone moved up to 8 population, with twocivs at 6:

Crete spent 2 population to build a ship. A wise move for Crete, since they need to get off of Crete and spread out somewhere else.
Illyria only expanded by 2. They must have had 4 population in either Germany or Pannonia, and since population expansion is limited to 2 per territory, they missed out on their potential expansion. Could be a mistake, or could be designed to have the last move in the round.

I got knocked out of somewhere by Thrace which is why I didn't get the second expansion. I think. I realize I've forgotten most everything about this game.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #15
Passacaglia
Coordinator

We've finished the 4th round. We had some conflict in the 4th round -- I think this is the first round we had any, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Assyria and Babylon got into it a little. They fought in Aleppo, where each civ lost 1 population. Assyria ended up in control of the territory (at least, I assume so, since they have it now inj Round 5).

Illyria and Thrace also fought, in Illyricum. Each civ lost a population.

Africa has built a city, making them the first to do so.

Babylon and Egypt are the first civs to be held back in the AST. Those civs needed to have two cities in order to move up, but neither of them did so. Some other civs will have that requirement if they want to move up in the AST in Round 5: Africa, Iberia, Crete, and Assyria.

And now we're in Round 5. Here's the Census, after Population Expansion:

Egypt -- 32
Iberia -- 30
Babylon -- 30
Assyria -- 28
Thrace -- 27
Africa -- 20
Illyria -- 18
Crete -- 9

For those of you with 27 or above, you'll want to note that there's only 47 tokens. So if you keep your population as high as it is, you won't be able to expand as much as necessary. For example, Egypt has 32 population, so they would only be able to expand 15, instead of the 32 they could potentially expand otherwise. There's two ways to get rid of population if you want to maximize your expansion -- build cities, or attack your neighbor. Not that I'm trying to discourage anyone from attacking their neighbor, but you guys have probably figured out by now that building cities is important.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #16
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Round 5 begins!

2. Population Expansion
3. Census

5. Movement
6. Conflict
7. City construction
10. Trade

Africa is the only civ with a city. They move two tokens from stock to treasury. And I kind of went through population expansion and census in my last post. I'm a little confused why the site has Assyria moving before Babylon, though. Babylon has the higher population, so they should be going first, unless I'm missing something.

Last edited by Passacaglia : 10-31-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #17
Passacaglia
Coordinator

2. Population Expansion
3. Census
5. Movement
6. Conflict
7. City construction
10. Trade

Oh, that's what I'm missing. Assyria must have had a population of 30, then used 2 of them to build a ship. Looks like Thrace and Crete did as well. There's a lot of islands with good city sites, and those guys will have to dance around who gets to claim what.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #18
Passacaglia
Coordinator

2. Population Expansion
3. Census
5. Movement
6. Conflict
7. City construction
10. Trade

We're almost done with this phase.

Egypt went first, spreading out a little, and putting 6 population in Memphis and Jerusalem, looking to build cities there. Those territories are inside Egyptian borders, so there's no other civ that can get to those territories to invade.

Iberia also positioned itself to build 2 cities, in Corduba and Massilla -- sticking 9 population in Massilla, just to make sure Illyria doesn't attack it.

Assyria went for more of a land grab. I'm not sure if they moved units with their ship, but they didn't move any to an island -- if they did use the ship, they used it to put some population in Sardes, in order to secure Asia Minor. Interestingly, they did not position themselves to build any cities.

Babylon doesn't look like they had much more room to spread out, but they did set themselves up for cities in Mari and Carrhae -- Carrhae borders Assyria, but since Assyria has already moved, they don't have to worry about them attacking.

Thrace spread out some, and possesses most of the Aegean peninsula now -- looks like they might have used their ship to move some units to the southern parts, Athens and Argos. They set up a city in Byzantium. It doesn't border anyone else, but Crete has a ship that can move units to attack it. Although if I'm counting right, they could only bring in 1 unit, so that attack would not prevent the city from bring built.

Illyria is next, then Crete will finish it up.

Last edited by Passacaglia : 10-31-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #19
britrock88
Pro Starter

Babylon here. Our homeland is an interesting place. There are several high-yielding farms with population limits of 3 or so, there are some well-protected city sites, and there are floodplains. Unfortunately, many regions possess two or more of those characteristics.

Wanting to take advantage of regions with more obvious advantages (low population city sites, high-yielding farms without city sites, and avoiding floodplains), I decided to make an effort toward eastern Asia Minor and toward Israel. However, Warhammer in Assyria defended well enough that I decided it would be counterproductive to continue to war over Assyria or Aleppo at this point. I thought longer about challenging Pass's moves into Jericho and Damascus from his home of Egypt, as there is some medium-term potential to pinch him at the Sinai Peninsula, but decided that consolidating around my nearer city sites would be a wiser play. Warhammer did mention the advantage that cities on large farms possess -- when they are reduced, the population loss is not as great. I thank him for pointing that out, but am also immediately suspicious of his intentions in future turns...

(You're welcome for me showing my hand, you guys. )

Last edited by britrock88 : 10-31-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:41 PM   #20
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Babylon here. Our homeland is an interesting place. There are several high-yielding farms with population limits of 3 or so, there are some well-protected city sites, and there are floodplains. Unfortunately, many regions possess two or more of those characteristics.

Wanting to take advantage of regions with more obvious advantages (low population city sites, high-yielding farms without city sites, and avoiding floodplains), I decided to make an effort toward eastern Asia Minor and toward Israel. However, Warhammer in Assyria defended well enough that I decided it would be counterproductive to continue to war over Assyria or Aleppo at this point. I thought longer about challenging Pass's moves into Jericho and Damascus from his home of Egypt, as there is some medium-term potential to pinch him at the Sinai Peninsula, but decided that consolidating around my nearer city sites would be a wiser play. Warhammer did mention the advantage that cities on large farms possess -- when they are reduced, the population loss is not as great. I thank him for pointing that out, but am also immediately suspicious of his intentions in future turns...

(You're welcome for me showing my hand, you guys. )

Assyria will not be able to hold all of Asia Minor. Crete needs some space in the Aegean or they cause trouble for everyone. We need the Aleppo and Antioch city sites. I am a bigger fan of Babylon heading a bit further south to Jerusalem and Jericho. Its impossible for me to contest Egypt in Jerusalem and Jericho, and Babylon has a good chance of getting there quickly through Syria.

Also, in the interest of fairness, I would be concerned about me moving around the north flank. That can cause Babylon some issues later in the game. I pushed a bit, but wanted to see what you would do in the N. Levant, if you pushed more, I was going to make a much more concerted effort in the area (Adv. Civ is not a war game).

As the player of Egypt in the first FOFC game, I have no business being in the Levant cities. Egypt is way too strong if they can get a foothold there (of course with no Babylon in that game, that was a HUGE factor in me taking Egypt).
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:43 PM   #21
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Also, I did not go for cities yet because early AST position is not critical. I can make up a turn later provided I get better foraging areas. Plus, moving before an aggressive Babylon, I was in a bad position if he really wanted to make enemies early.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:25 PM   #22
britrock88
Pro Starter

Aggressive is out of character for me. That being the case, I pulled back on this turn -- I was worried about what I saw Assyria doing on the very NE corner of the map, and what I saw Egypt doing on the very SE corner on the Arabian Peninsula. This gives me time to consolidate, build cities, and regroup for later-game situations.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #23
Passacaglia
Coordinator

We've had one more movement -- Illyria has spread out some more, moved further into Italy, decided not to attack Iberia at Massilla (wise choice), but does appear to have attacked Thrace in Illyricum. Both civs have 2 population there, so they'll both lose one.

Crete will finish out the phase.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #24
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Crete finishes out the movement phase. I'm not sure if they made any movements. But they caused no conflict, and built no cities.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #25
Passacaglia
Coordinator

2. Population Expansion
3. Census
5. Movement
6. Conflict
7. City construction
10. Trade

Just one conflict, in Illyricum. But Illyria and Thrace had 2 units there, and Illyricum only holds 2. Since both civs had the same number of units, they removed tokens at the same time. Each removed 1, and they were left with 1 each, fitting in the limit of 2.

There was also a "coexist" in Athens. Crete and Thrace each had 1 unit there, and since it holds 2, no conflict was required.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #26
Passacaglia
Coordinator

2. Population Expansion
3. Census
5. Movement
6. Conflict
7. City construction

10. Trade

I'm assuming there were no surprises, and city construction happened as I surmised in the movement phase:

• 2 Furrball [Africa] (1 new)
• 2 CrimsonFox [Iberia] (2 new)
• 0 path12 [Illyria]
• 1 Aeon [Thrace] (1 new)
• 0 Tarc [Crete]
• 0 Warhammer [Assyria]
• 2 britrock88 [Babylon] (2 new)
• 2 passacaglia [Egypt] (2 new)

I believe there was no removal of surplus population (if so, I didn't get an email about it), and everyone could support their cities.

Last edited by Passacaglia : 11-05-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #27
Passacaglia
Coordinator

2. Population Expansion
3. Census
5. Movement
6. Conflict
7. City construction
10. Trade

We've finally got multiple civs with cities, so we collect some trade cards.

No one has enough to trade, so there's no trading, no calamities, and no purchasing of civilization cards.

Last edited by Passacaglia : 11-05-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #28
Passacaglia
Coordinator

2. Population Expansion
3. Census
5. Movement
6. Conflict
7. City construction
10. Trade

Everyone moves up a spot, except Crete and Assyria. They both need two cities to enter the Early Bronze Age, and both have none.

Score:
Africa -- 602
Iberia -- 600
Thrace -- 550
Babylon -- 500
Illyria -- 500
Egypt -- 500
Crete -- 400
Assyria -- 400

Last edited by Passacaglia : 11-05-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #29
Passacaglia
Coordinator

And we're on to Round 6!

2. Population Expansion
3. Census
5. Movement
6. Conflict
7. City construction
10. Trade

The civs that have cities are starting to build their treasury a little.

Africa -- 6
Iberia -- 4
Babylon -- 4
Egypt -- 4
Thrace -- 2

They can use this cash to build ships, or save it up to buy civilization cards (or buy a deck 9 card).

Last edited by Passacaglia : 11-05-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #30
Passacaglia
Coordinator

2. Population Expansion
3. Census

5. Movement
6. Conflict
7. City construction
10. Trade

I think everyone but Assyria had enough tokens in stock to expand fully. After Assyria chose which territories of theirs would expand, we took the census:

• 47 Warhammer [Assyria]
• 40 passacaglia [Egypt]
• 39 Aeon [Thrace]
• 36 britrock88 [Babylon]
• 31 path12 [Illyria]
• 28 CrimsonFox [Iberia]
• 26 Furrball [Africa]
• 14 Tarc [Crete]

Last edited by Passacaglia : 11-05-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #31
Passacaglia
Coordinator

2. Population Expansion
3. Census
5. Movement
6. Conflict
7. City construction
10. Trade

And here's where we are now.

Assyria spends 1 population to maintain their ship in Sardes.

Egypt spends all 4 of their treasury building ships in Tyre and Cyrenaica.

Thrace, Babylon, and Illyria build no ships.

Iberia, Africa, and Crete are up.

Last edited by Passacaglia : 11-05-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #32
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Iberia has spent 4 population to build ships at Pyrenees and Narbo, dropping their population down to 24, but keeping their treasury at $4.

Africa and Crete are next.

Last edited by Passacaglia : 11-06-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #33
Passacaglia
Coordinator

2. Population Expansion
3. Census
5. Movement
6. Conflict

7. City construction
10. Trade

I'm not going to go civ-by-civ on movement when it was all done since I last posted, but I'll skip to conflict:

Quote:
Here are the results of all conflicts:
Petra: Mutual annihilation
• Population Limit: 1
• britrock88 [Babylon]
o Initial population: 2
o Population lost: 2
• passacaglia [Egypt]
o Population lost: 2

Midian: Mutual annihilation
• britrock88 [Babylon]
o Initial population: 1
o Population lost: 1
• passacaglia [Egypt]

Jericho: Mutual annihilation
• britrock88 [Babylon]
• passacaglia [Egypt]

Athens: Coexist between Tarc [Crete] AND Aeon [Thrace]
• Population Limit: 2
• Tarc [Crete]
• Aeon [Thrace]

Last edited by Passacaglia : 11-12-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #34
Passacaglia
Coordinator

So, basically, britrock decided to smack me around a little. Not cool, dude.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #35
Passacaglia
Coordinator

2. Population Expansion
3. Census
5. Movement
6. Conflict
7. City construction

10. Trade

Quote:
The following players have completed their city construction phase:
• 4 Furrball [Africa] (2 new)
• 3 CrimsonFox [Iberia] (1 new)
• 0 path12 [Illyria]
• 4 Aeon [Thrace] (3 new)
• 0 Tarc [Crete]
• 2 Warhammer [Assyria] (2 new)
• 5 britrock88 [Babylon] (3 new)
• 6 passacaglia [Egypt] (4 new)
City Construction is complete.

No surplus population needed to be removed.

Last edited by Passacaglia : 11-12-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #36
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

can you explain cards and training?
Old 11-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #37
Passacaglia
Coordinator

2. Population Expansion
3. Census
5. Movement
6. Conflict
7. City construction
10. Trade

We all collected trade cards, and some people have enough to make some trades. Personally, I've got 8 cards, so I can keep all my cards for next round without discarding any, so I'll worry about collecting sets next turn, and I've let the trading market. I think I don't get messages since I've left the market, so if some deals or near-deals go on, feel free to post about them!
Old 11-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #38
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
can you explain cards and training?

Sure. Each card has a point value, that corresponds to what deck you drew it from.

1 = Hides and Ochre
2 = Iron and Papyrus
3 = Salt and Timber
4 = Grain and Oil
5 = Wine and Cloth
6 = Bronze and Silver
7 = Spice and Resin
8 = Dye and Gems
9 = Gold and Ivory

Now, the more cards you have of each type, the more it's worth, somewhat exponentially. The formula to determine how much your set is worth is:

number of cards in the set squared x point value of the card

So if you have 3 Grain, it's worth 3 x 3 x 4 = 36. Note that we only count grain here, not oil. So the idea is, in order to make your hand worth more, you don't want a Hides, a Papyrus, a Timber, and an Oil (10 points total). You'd rather have 4 Papyrus (4x4x2=32 total). That's where trading comes in.

Another note about the cards, each deck contains calamities. These are bad, and you don't want them. Some calamities are tradeable:

2 Treachery
3 Superstition
4 Slave Revolt
5 Hordes
6 Epidemic
7 Civil Disorder
8 Iconoclasm & Heresy

Some are not, and if you get them, you're just stuck with them:

2 Volcano
3 Famine
4 Civil War
5 Flood

When you trade, you must trade at least three cards at a time. Obviously, no one will want to trade with you if you have a calamity, so it's okay to lie -- however you must tell the truth about at least two of the cards. The site lets you do this -- when you make trades, a "lie" button will pop up, letting you claim that card is something else. Obviously, you'll lie when you trade calamities. Note that if you use "unspecified" when lying, this basically means that you're acknowleding that that card is a lie, which means you have to be telling the truth about the other two. This is good because if I want Bronze from you, and you trade me Bronze, Timber, and Iron, but the Bronze is the lie, that really screws me. But if you give me Bronze, Timber, and Unspecified, I can accept the possibility of receiving a calamity from you, as long as I know I'm getting the Bronze.

Hopefully that helps! Feel free to ask any questions if it doesn't!
Old 11-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #39
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

how is 3 grain = 3 x 3 x 4 when grain is worth 4.
It looks like you are multiplying values. Doesn't that mean 4 x 4 x 4?
then again papyrus is worth 2 so how are you going 4 x 4 x 2?
Old 11-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #40
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

How do you actually make trades on site? I found i can pick up cards in my deck but i couldn't find where to move them. NOt that I really wanted to make a trade this turn but just trying to figure it out.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #41
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
how is 3 grain = 3 x 3 x 4 when grain is worth 4.
It looks like you are multiplying values. Doesn't that mean 4 x 4 x 4?
then again papyrus is worth 2 so how are you going 4 x 4 x 2?

It's number of cards in the set x number of cards in the set x point value.
So if you have 3 grain, number of cards in the set = 3 and point value = 4.
If you have 4 papyrus, number of cards in the set = 4 and point value = 2.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #42
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
How do you actually make trades on site? I found i can pick up cards in my deck but i couldn't find where to move them. NOt that I really wanted to make a trade this turn but just trying to figure it out.

On the right, you can see a rectangle for each civ. It's got their name, and their little message about what they have and what they want (if they've entered in a message -- to enter in a message like that yourself, enter it in the box on top next to "public message"). To make a trade, double-click on the rectangle of the civ you want to trade with. A box opens up -- drag at least three cards into the box, then select the cards you want to receive from the other civ. If a civ has proposed a trade to you, you'll see info on that in this box.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #43
Passacaglia
Coordinator

2. Population Expansion
3. Census
5. Movement
6. Conflict
7. City construction
10. Trade

Looks like everyone has left the market, with no trading (I assume). No one had enough cash to buy civilization cards. Everyone moved up on the AST, except Crete and Illyria, since they don't have the two cities required to enter the Early Bronze Age.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #44
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Round 7 begins!

2. Population Expansion
3. Census
5. Movement
6. Conflict
7. City construction
10. Trade

No city revolts when taxes are collected.

I didn't report the AST last post, and that's because collecting taxes happens immediately after, and I don't feel like doing the calculations to back it out. Here's the AST, and the last two digits (or the last two digits minus 50) are everyone's treasury:

1. Africa -- 812
2. Egypt -- 812
3. Thrace -- 810
4. Babylon -- 764
5. Iberia -- 760
6. Assyria -- 604
7. Illyria -- 500
8. Crete -- 400
Old 11-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #45
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

Egypt should be located in Egypt, not in the Levant!

On another note, the interface for movement and census is beginning to aggravate me. Last turn I should have had 2-3 more cities, but due to the game's interface requiring you to occasionally need to place/move the same guys multiple times, you wind up screwing up.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #46
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:

What, are 12 city sites not enough for ya?
Old 11-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #47
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Egypt should be located in Egypt, not in the Levant!

On another note, the interface for movement and census is beginning to aggravate me. Last turn I should have had 2-3 more cities, but due to the game's interface requiring you to occasionally need to place/move the same guys multiple times, you wind up screwing up.

I tend to play pretty expansionistic, from what I've noticed in this game, the FOFC Take One game (where I've started in Illyria and have a pretty good foothold in Africa), and another game I'm in, where I'm Africa, and have a city in Fayum, population placed in Tanis, Gaza, Petra, Jerusalem, and Tyre, and a city in Jericho. Although in that case, I think I was simply allowed to do that because Egypt screwed up by building cities crazy early, leaving themselves with two nice cities in Buzhen and Memphis, but just 4 population, which allowed me lots of room to play. Although, in another game, as Crete, I'm having a lot of trouble expanding. I hate Crete.

I agree that the interface is not good, and it's messed me up, in other games. It's weird, when I played on this site a year or two ago, I didn't remember having this problem. My best suggestion is to have after you select "done - verfiy" you've got another chance to look around and make sure everything is set up the way you want it before selecting "done" again.

Last edited by Passacaglia : 11-13-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #48
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
What, are 12 city sites not enough for ya?

Fair enough. I don't want to be all "you should have played the way I would play" kind of guy, but I was surprised that you brought just enough guys in for mutual annihilation, when if you had brought in more population, you would have been able to keep guys in those territories, and maybe lost less population yourself. I don't know exactly what kind of resources you had available, though.

While I'm critiquing, though, another opportunity you had, if your goal was just to screw me over, was to ruin my city support. Your attack left me with 12 population to support my 6 cities -- if I went down to 11, I would have had to reduce a city. I probably would have reduced Fayum, which has a population limit of 5, but still, it would have been an annoyance.

If your goal was not to screw me over, and just to get some city sites for yourself, we also could have negotiated for it! I'm generally a pretty peaceful guy, not attacking anyone unless I have absolutely nothing better to do with my population, so I'm always up for solutions where I can avoid having my dudes killed.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #49
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Fair enough. I don't want to be all "you should have played the way I would play" kind of guy, but I was surprised that you brought just enough guys in for mutual annihilation, when if you had brought in more population, you would have been able to keep guys in those territories, and maybe lost less population yourself. I don't know exactly what kind of resources you had available, though.

While I'm critiquing, though, another opportunity you had, if your goal was just to screw me over, was to ruin my city support. Your attack left me with 12 population to support my 6 cities -- if I went down to 11, I would have had to reduce a city. I probably would have reduced Fayum, which has a population limit of 5, but still, it would have been an annoyance.

If your goal was not to screw me over, and just to get some city sites for yourself, we also could have negotiated for it! I'm generally a pretty peaceful guy, not attacking anyone unless I have absolutely nothing better to do with my population, so I'm always up for solutions where I can avoid having my dudes killed.

As far as I recall, I used almost all or all of the tokens that were in range to attack you where I did.

At the same time, I remember looking into your city support situation, so I suppose the possibility was there to additionally attack you on another front. But I observed that you had a city at Fayum, which, like you suggested, would really have only cost you another token and a turn to rebuild the city, so I wasn't particularly drawn to make that extra attack.

And yes, I suppose I could have been civil and negotiated. I've done that in some of the non-FOFC games I started playing contemporaneously. In this instance, though, I just didn't feel like giving up anything in exchange! Maybe my attitude will change further down the line.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #50
CrimsonFox
Head Coach