Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The ones that got away...Trade regrets, FAs

What players have you during your FOOL tenure wish you'd kept, traded away but regret it?

I know I regret trading Rick Inman during my first season in Compton. Even though I left and doubt he would've kept me there, I'm certain with him in '69, we'd have won that title rather than lost it.

Other than that, I don't know of anyone offhand yet.

You all?

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
muns
Pro Starter

Off the top of my head, would be Big Mac who plays for Chicago. I was dumb and didnt think I could do a total rebuild job in 4 seasons. Id be looking pretty damn good at the moment if I didnt do that deal.

I have others but thats the most glaring for me at the moment.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Artie Wiley

Regret#1-a
When Artie Wiley left the VL it was obvious he would be possibly the greatest hurler in FOOL history...as such, I decided to throw all I had at him...unfortunatly all I had was only about 10mil...not enough IMO to score him. I did have Morris though signed to approx $9mil. I figured I would shoot for the moon and make an offer sure to be accepted. So I released Morris, and offered Wiley a 6yr $108mil contract. Of course Murphys law has the final say in all actions, and my export didn't take it what was by far the pivital export (or non-export) in my FOOL career.
Regret#1-b
Then I went online and voice my frustration of the failed export, I posted EXACTLY what I offered Wiley.
Regret#1-c
After the VL league FA entry curfuffle, it was now decided that Wiley would re-enter the FA pool. So now that the entire FOOL world knew what I was willing to spend on him I had a decision.
Do I
a) re-submit my origional bid, which would mean cutting Morris again, but this time with all other teams aware of what they needed to do to sign Wiley potentially leaving me without Wiley, AND without Morris.
b) increase my bid...which means releasing someone else along with Morris, with no guarentee of signing Wiley.
c) play it safe...ensuring that I at least had Morris and $9mil to spend on another player.

I chose to play it safe....I went online and tried to talk up Wiley, talking about how I set the bar on how much I was willing to spend on Wiley in an attempt to drive up his price (Hey...all is fair in love and war) while making a high but fair offer to SS Cole....My evil plot failed (and I would of gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you meddling kids) as Wiley signed an embarrassingly low contract for his skill level. Morris and Cole have lead me to a 6th place finnish, while Wiley has lead Toronto into the playoffs and has won the Best Pitcher Award (Soon to be know as the Artie Wiley Award)

*play a sad song here*

FOOL- Leduc Bullets

Last edited by ekcut : 09-17-2008 at 04:17 PM.
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
Regret#1-a
When Artie Wiley left the VL it was obvious he would be possibly the greatest hurler in FOOL history...as such, I decided to throw all I had at him...unfortunatly all I had was only about 10mil...not enough IMO to score him. I did have Morris though signed to approx $9mil. I figured I would shoot for the moon and make an offer sure to be accepted. So I released Morris, and offered Wiley a 6yr $108mil contract. Of course Murphys law has the final say in all actions, and my export didn't take it what was by far the pivital export (or non-export) in my FOOL career.
Regret#1-b
Then I went online and voice my frustration of the failed export, I posted EXACTLY what I offered Wiley.
Regret#1-c
After the VL league FA entry curfuffle, it was now decided that Wiley would re-enter the FA pool. So now that the entire FOOL world knew what I was willing to spend on him I had a decision.
Do I
a) re-submit my origional bid, which would mean cutting Morris again, but this time with all other teams aware of what they needed to do to sign Wiley potentially leaving me without Wiley, AND without Morris.
b) increase my bid...which means releasing someone else along with Morris, with no guarentee of signing Wiley.
c) play it safe...ensuring that I at least had Morris and $9mil to spend on another player.

I chose to play it safe....I went online and tried to talk up Wiley, talking about how I set the bar on how much I was willing to spend on Wiley in an attempt to drive up his price (Hey...all is fair in love and war) while making a high but fair offer to SS Cole....My evil plot failed (and I would of gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you meddling kids) as Wiley signed an embarrassingly low contract for his skill level. Morris and Cole have lead me to a 6th place finnish, while Wiley has lead Toronto into the playoffs and has won the Best Pitcher Award (Soon to be know as the Artie Wiley Award)

*play a sad song here*

If it means much, I offered Wiley much more than Toronto did, but he decided to not go with us. If I remember correctly Brooklyn also offered more than Toronto did too.

So sometimes the high bid doesn't get the guy anyways.. How much worse would you have felt if you had let go of those guys, put in as much as you had planned and still not gotten him?

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

For the record, I am VERY glad that the game does not go with the highest bid always. I think it's a really lame way to decide where FAs go. It'd make stuff really easy/transparent and it's just hard for me to get immersed in that way.

I like the grey area and the suspense that exists in the middle of it.

But that's just me.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
kaosfere
College Prospect

Yeah, I lucked hard on on Wiley. Won't argue that there. IIRC, I could have bid higher, but I knew I didn't want to pay what it would take to almost certainly secure him, so I took a flyer... and it paid off.

You know what's baffling to me? The game has his arbitration estimate for '77 set to 6.5 million. Sometimes I don't know what it's thinking when it figures these things.

You know what else baffles me? John Brown.

How does a guy play in single A when he's only 10
SBL:
Charlotte Monarchs (1992-1994) 237 - 186
kaosfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
Anthony
Banned

immensely gifted.

and HGH.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:02 PM   #8
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
For the record, I am VERY glad that the game does not go with the highest bid always. I think it's a really lame way to decide where FAs go. It'd make stuff really easy/transparent and it's just hard for me to get immersed in that way.

I like the grey area and the suspense that exists in the middle of it.

But that's just me.

Agree...that adds a level of realism...it happens all the time IRL.

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #9
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosfere View Post
Yeah, I lucked hard on on Wiley. Won't argue that there. IIRC, I could have bid higher, but I knew I didn't want to pay what it would take to almost certainly secure him, so I took a flyer... and it paid off.

You know what's baffling to me? The game has his arbitration estimate for '77 set to 6.5 million. Sometimes I don't know what it's thinking when it figures these things.

You know what else baffles me? John Brown.

How does a guy play in single A when he's only 10

If you take the past scouting reports screen and $4.50 you can buy a coffee at Starbucks.

That screen is so utterly inconsistant, misleading and half the time outright incorrect it is not funny. Half of the guys will have completely different ratings and info then what is on that screen and I have no idea why.

Normally using the text history reports is a pretty consistant way to see a player's back history.. but unfortunately those all disappeared last sim or the sim before, which is kind of a big problem.. as it was the only good way to track development progress.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:42 PM   #10
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Normally using the text history reports is a pretty consistant way to see a player's back history.. but unfortunately those all disappeared last sim or the sim before, which is kind of a big problem.. as it was the only good way to track development progress.

Yeah.

I've got that one from '73 around for players around before then, but there's still a gap.

I still like the idea that the kid was a 10 year old phenom whose parents made him stop playing and finish school, and he's only just now coming back to the league.
SBL:

Last edited by kaosfere : 09-17-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I going to blame the text history loss on a variety of strange things I've seen lately in my files. I have no idea how it happened. I just know..it sucks. But I didn't do anything differently. Ok, I switched computers that I run the game on. But I don't know what that would've changed.

Blah. I hate OOTP.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #12
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Blah. I hate OOTP.

I'm tempted to start archiving all the .dat files from every year. Just in case.
SBL:
Old 09-17-2008, 06:02 PM   #13
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosfere View Post
I'm tempted to start archiving all the .dat files from every year. Just in case.

I support this message.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:46 AM   #14
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
If it means much, I offered Wiley much more than Toronto did, but he decided to not go with us. If I remember correctly Brooklyn also offered more than Toronto did too.

So sometimes the high bid doesn't get the guy anyways.. How much worse would you have felt if you had let go of those guys, put in as much as you had planned and still not gotten him?

Im also glad that guys just dont take the highest bid out there. I mean it looks like it worked out for him last year right
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:53 AM   #15
kaosfere
College Prospect

Rich Haas.

*snap*
SBL: