Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Weekday League (FOWL)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-02-2009, 04:05 AM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, is trading dead?

Just seems curious to me... now that we have wiped out draft picks, are we all so in love with our own players that it's too hard to assemble the used-to-be routine "see a guy on the block, oh he's decent, offer something up" trade?

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:24 AM   #2
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think trades will be a lot harder to come by, because now instead of trading for that high draft pick, teams can only trade for known quantities. People will be looking for specific positions, and a lot of teams that meet the requirements of the person making the trade offer may not need the player or position being offered. I see this as a good thing.. It will probably take a few years of this new system before normal trade activity really resumes.

the reason I made the deal with you last season that we made was because of a conflict on my team. I was able to benefit from picking up a skilled vet with no conflicts in exchange for my young talent with a lot of years left. I think that type of trade is what we will be seeing. I also think trades will occur after FA2 more than at any other time, as teams try to jockey for that last upgrade after the signing frenzy ends.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:21 AM   #3
Sef0r
n00b

Agreed, just harder to get what you want. Unless of course you change from a 3-4 to a 4-3. If I sign the rookies I'm hoping for I will go with a 4-3 and trade away from blitzing WLB.
Sef0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
iBomb1st
n00b

I guess im the only one who truly misses the draft and trading of picks. Im just bored to tears by the never-ending FA, then lightning fast season sim, just to start FA all over again. With the fast sim (which i love) gameplanning is almost obsolete, and with no draft it seems like we do nothing but bid on FA's. BORING. I understand that with no draft it adds some new wrinkles to FA but it feels like theres less depth in the experience of running a team now. I feel like with a draft in between it would be perfection. Watching the draft last weekend made me yearn for it so bad... studying the draft class... hoping for your guy to fall or trading up and down... reading the follow up reports... man i miss it. Ive heard the arguments from people who like the current system... but i just dont see it. This system seems to really cater towards the cap savy vets and parity has definetly taken a back seat. But it is different... and i guess thats what this league is all about huh?
iBomb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:30 AM   #5
Sef0r
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBomb1st View Post
I guess im the only one who truly misses the draft and trading of picks. Im just bored to tears by the never-ending FA, then lightning fast season sim, just to start FA all over again. With the fast sim (which i love) gameplanning is almost obsolete, and with no draft it seems like we do nothing but bid on FA's. BORING. I understand that with no draft it adds some new wrinkles to FA but it feels like theres less depth in the experience of running a team now. I feel like with a draft in between it would be perfection. Watching the draft last weekend made me yearn for it so bad... studying the draft class... hoping for your guy to fall or trading up and down... reading the follow up reports... man i miss it. Ive heard the arguments from people who like the current system... but i just dont see it. This system seems to really cater towards the cap savy vets and parity has definetly taken a back seat. But it is different... and i guess thats what this league is all about huh?

Don't get me wrong. I would rather have the draft, but this is a trial period and we need to give it 2-3 seasons. Things might change for you, things might not. I don't mind as much I guess as I am in only 1 other league which has the draft still. I do however like the draft generated rookie class rules we have here.
Sef0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:16 AM   #6
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBomb1st View Post

FYI, I tried fitting a square peg into a round hole recently and came up with very similar results.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
Subby
lolzcat

I have the draft in plenty of other leagues. I like the change here.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
iBomb1st
n00b

I think the qb/wr nerfing is brilliant. I have never enjoyed being in multiple leagues though so I stick to 1 at a time. Perhaps I should join another or move on. Its still elite competition in a very interesting format though so i will give it some more time. I think watching the draft just set me off.
iBomb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Just seems curious to me... now that we have wiped out draft picks, are we all so in love with our own players that it's too hard to assemble the used-to-be routine "see a guy on the block, oh he's decent, offer something up" trade?

I think it's quite a bit simpler than this and something I assumed everyone "knew" would happen.

How many trades do you see in MP leagues that do not involve draft picks? A VERY small minority involve player for player I'd say, so this was pretty easy to predict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I think it's quite a bit simpler than this and something I assumed everyone "knew" would happen.

How many trades do you see in MP leagues that do not involve draft picks? A VERY small minority involve player for player I'd say, so this was pretty easy to predict.

Well, just because player-player trades are pretty rare in an environment where draft picks are available for use in trades (and easier to use and judge), doesn't necessarily mean that wiping out draft picks would mean wiping out trades. In theory, when I see a guy I'd be willing to offer a 3rd round pick for, instead I could be offering a player worth roughly a 3rd round pick. No reason to believe that would be approaching zero.

But, overall, I think the psychological effect of overvaluing what you have (especially when it comes to something as unspecific as a player) makes this much harder. Rather than offering a 3rd round pick, I offer you a player that *I* think is worth a 3rd, and you think is worth a 6th (meanwhile you think your guy is worth a 1st, not a 3rd, to begin with), and we're not close at all to a trade.

So it goes. I'm not shocked.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:57 AM   #11
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
So it goes. I'm not shocked.

Well said.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:04 PM   #12
TheMeat
n00b

Couldn't find a good enough offer for the DT? I tried to figure something out that was good for both of us but there's just not many players on my team that I didn't want there. I'm not surprised you didn't take my offer. Trading may be officially dead, I'm callin it. T.O.D: 12:04pm.
Owner/GM of the soon to be awesome Fort Worth Fury of the IHOF

TheMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #13
Tasan
College Starter

Finding player for player deals that work for both sides is real tough. We see this all the time in FOOL. It takes a LOT of effort to get them done, and I think in a fast paced league like this a lot of folks see that effort as wasted when they can wait two weeks to try to get their missing piece next season.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #14
chinaski
College Prospect

Id love to have either one of those guys Quick was offering up, but I felt like I didnt have anything to offer in return.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #15
TheMeat
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Finding player for player deals that work for both sides is real tough. We see this all the time in FOOL. It takes a LOT of effort to get them done, and I think in a fast paced league like this a lot of folks see that effort as wasted when they can wait two weeks to try to get their missing piece next season.

Precisely
Owner/GM of the soon to be awesome Fort Worth Fury of the IHOF

TheMeat is offline   Reply With Quote