Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #201
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post
dola

Also are they scare to release the ootp html reports so we can see how the AI is handling waivers, releases and trades, etc.

This report will tell us a lot too.
No, it's part of TRTR
Marc Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:10 PM   #202
Marc Duffy
SI Games

What posts on what forum did you base this analysis?

Many people on the OOTP boards care about the AI. Many wont buy the game till they've played the demo. Cannot be any clearer than that in my mind that we've got to get it right.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:13 PM   #203
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
I guess. I'm just turned off in general by the beta-testers being an 'official' marketing arm. I'm sure there will be something with more significance later in the process, but for Day 1, it was pretty weak.
Well I figured you guys would rather hear a fellow customers view rather than me or Markus churning stuff out.

No-one on the beta team is forced to write a blog, nor do we tell them what to say. I've been pretty clear that they can come post on any board they like if they are unhappy with the game provided they've posted it in our beta forum first.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:14 PM   #204
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Duffy View Post

Many people on the OOTP boards care about the AI. Many wont buy the game till they've played the demo. Cannot be any clearer than that in my mind that we've got to get it right.

I know it might be a bit early to ask, but any word on when the demo might be out? Also, is it going to be real world time limited or in game time limited? Either way, I'm looking forward to trying the demo out to see if it is worth buying.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:18 PM   #205
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Demo will be out around release time.

Those of you from this forum - who vocally were not best pleased with OOTP 2006 - please PM me if you are up for trying a preview copy of the game.

I'm willing to give you a limited preview version to try and I'm confident it will change your current perception of OOTP 2006
Old 02-24-2007, 05:06 PM   #206
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Duffy View Post

You ain't shitting. I haven't seen anything that tells me the AI issues are corrected and Face gen won't clear that up.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:10 PM   #207
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post
dola

Also are they scare to release the ootp html reports so we can see how the AI is handling waivers, releases and trades, etc.

This report will tell us a lot too.

jb is back!
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:23 PM   #208
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

At this point, I'm really starting to wonder if SI should allow their marketing team to do the talking and keep Markus away from the message boards until release.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:26 PM   #209
vtbub
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
At this point, I'm really starting to wonder if SI should allow their marketing team to do the talking and keep Markus away from the message boards until release.

That's a winner!

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:28 PM   #210
JPhillips
General Manager

Amen. Markus is terrible at customer relations. I'd give him a contract with a reverse incentive, minus 500$ for each message board post.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:44 PM   #211
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

What do you mean? I must have missed something. Probably because jb's verb usage made my brain explode.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:22 PM   #212
dime
High School JV

I don't think markus did anything unseemly...his livelihood is getting trashed by edlynch/lynchjim, whatever...and he hasn't sunk to that level.
dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:28 PM   #213
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

You might be surprised, but I believe lynchjm24 wants ootp to succeed more than most of us do. He was disappointed by v2006 and so were MANY, MANY, other people.

Markus has a bad habit of replying to issues with, "That's fixed!" and then we're disappointed by his definition of "fixed". It's just frustration from lynchjm24 and I like the way he just comes right out and says what's on his mind concerning ootp.

To each their own I guess.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:27 PM   #214
Toddiec
Mascot

Markus' comments have me very excited about the game and I don't think we should discourage any of the developers that visit this board from posting. I think Markus is legitimately passionate about his game and that is exactly what I would expect from someone who has devoted so much time to developing it over the years. I think this is one of those "be careful what you wish for" instances.

The OOTP franchise is easily one of the top two in my personal computer playing history. I have received many many hours of entertainment for my monetary investment in the games. I have preordered 2007 and chalk it up to fanboyism or being a sucker or whatever, and I am firmly in the 6.5 better than v2006 camp by the way, but I am very excited about the release.

Anyway, I don't usually post but I didn't like where the tenor of this thread was going and I wanted to give an example of someone who doesn't buy into the "Markus posts killing OOTP hype" opinion.
Toddiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:14 AM   #215
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddiec View Post
Markus' comments have me very excited about the game and I don't think we should discourage any of the developers that visit this board from posting. I think Markus is legitimately passionate about his game and that is exactly what I would expect from someone who has devoted so much time to developing it over the years. I think this is one of those "be careful what you wish for" instances.

The OOTP franchise is easily one of the top two in my personal computer playing history. I have received many many hours of entertainment for my monetary investment in the games. I have preordered 2007 and chalk it up to fanboyism or being a sucker or whatever, and I am firmly in the 6.5 better than v2006 camp by the way, but I am very excited about the release.

Anyway, I don't usually post but I didn't like where the tenor of this thread was going and I wanted to give an example of someone who doesn't buy into the "Markus posts killing OOTP hype" opinion.

You should be very happy with your OOTP 2007 purchase Toddiec. OOTP 2007 is vastly superior to it's dismal 2006 offering. I am a lifelong DMB player and OOTP 2007 has finally made me forget DMB.

How do I know this? I am a member of the beta team and will only say that the improvements in OOTP 2007 over the 2006 version are quite impressive. Is the game perfect? No. Will it ever be perfect? No, but it should become the standard by which all other text based baseball games are judged by. The game is that good.

For me, the vastly improved PbP, the improved interface and the facegen feature are more than enough to warrant a purchase. If you also take into account all the cool little things that have been improved or added, the decision to purchase becomes a no-brainer.

Hopefully Markus will hit it hard down the stretch and eliminate the few major issues that remain. I also have to say that Andreas also deserves quite a bit of credit for the outstanding work he has done with facegen, logos and other items in his area.

-Cork

Last edited by Cork : 02-25-2007 at 12:17 AM.
Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:07 AM   #216
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:
You ain't shitting. I haven't seen anything that tells me the AI issues are corrected and Face gen won't clear that up.

To be fair, you've not actually played the game. My offer stands to you and others in this forum.

if you are willing to try out a preview version - you can test the AI yourself!

Last edited by Marc Duffy : 02-25-2007 at 02:08 AM.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:13 PM   #217
Galaril
Pro Starter

I am going to say after reading the TRTR for Day 3 about the historical features and replay that this could be very good.

http://www.ootpbaseball.net/clubhous...gid=26&id=1278
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:38 PM   #218
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime View Post
I don't think markus did anything unseemly...his livelihood is getting trashed by edlynch/lynchjim, whatever...and he hasn't sunk to that level.

I like Markus and everyone else at SI. I didn't like the first day of TRTR, it just seemed like everything else that we saw last year, heavy hype with no substance behind it. Days 2 and 3 have been better with some actual observations and evidence instead of just glowing opinion.

Some of the OOTP fanbase is loath to be negative on any aspect of the game. It's a pretty vocal minority. I understand that some of my criticism of 2006 was over the top. This was intentional, because I got the feeling that many of those that were disappointed just dropped the game and moved on. I feel like there were many that shared my feelings on the game, but don't have the passion for baseball sims that I do. I was only being selfish, hoping that by being vocal, SI might move the game back in a direction that was more enjoyable to me. 2006 has some impressive features, it just never comes together as an enjoyable game to play.

I don't feel like I've ever been negative towards anyone at SI on a personal level, I give them a lot of credit for being patient with people like me for so long. I hope they have a world of success and keep designing games that appeal to text-simmers. They currently are the only company that is designing the type of baseball game that I want to play, so even if I didn't like them, I'd still have a vested interest in their success.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #219
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I know this is minor, but I like the one pitch feature. I used to play microleague baseball as a kid, and always liked it.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:34 PM   #220
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
I like Markus and everyone else at SI. I didn't like the first day of TRTR, it just seemed like everything else that we saw last year, heavy hype with no substance behind it. Days 2 and 3 have been better with some actual observations and evidence instead of just glowing opinion.

Some of the OOTP fanbase is loath to be negative on any aspect of the game. It's a pretty vocal minority. I understand that some of my criticism of 2006 was over the top. This was intentional, because I got the feeling that many of those that were disappointed just dropped the game and moved on. I feel like there were many that shared my feelings on the game, but don't have the passion for baseball sims that I do. I was only being selfish, hoping that by being vocal, SI might move the game back in a direction that was more enjoyable to me. 2006 has some impressive features, it just never comes together as an enjoyable game to play.

I don't feel like I've ever been negative towards anyone at SI on a personal level, I give them a lot of credit for being patient with people like me for so long. I hope they have a world of success and keep designing games that appeal to text-simmers. They currently are the only company that is designing the type of baseball game that I want to play, so even if I didn't like them, I'd still have a vested interest in their success.

I am glad you wrote this. I did not know your history with the game, and just from a casual observation, my first inclination was that you were a troll that just had a personal beef with them. Now that I know the history, I have re-read some of your post with different eyes.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:03 PM   #221
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I am going to say after reading the TRTR for Day 3 about the historical features and replay that this could be very good.

http://www.ootpbaseball.net/clubhous...gid=26&id=1278

I agree...........things are looking on the up and up. It seems as though SI and Markus knew how much was riding on this year's version and they might have stepped up with some impressive features, and more importantly a long, long beta test time.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:47 PM   #222
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Well, the proof is going to be in the pudding - that is for sure.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:49 PM   #223
astrosfan64
College Prospect

OOTP is a no brainer purchase for me every year.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:55 PM   #224
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I know this is minor, but I like the one pitch feature. I used to play microleague baseball as a kid, and always liked it.

Me too. Really glad Markus brought that back.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:24 PM   #225
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I guess I should have said more regarding my comments about Markus. The thing is that SI does have marketing people, and it's their job to get people to buy the game. I haven't followed the OOTP saga for the past few years (as far as which customers he's had problems with, etc.), but there have obviously been problems before, and I just think it might be best to let SI's marketing people do the talking now.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:01 PM   #226
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I hope someone takes Marc on the offer and runs a 20 year sim and sees if the "pick up/release" syndrome has been fixed.

I've been one of the more ardent supporters of the game here, so I can't say I would be a good choice to test that. Maybe someone like the Dog or someone similar...
Old 02-25-2007, 08:26 PM   #227
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
I hope someone takes Marc on the offer and runs a 20 year sim and sees if the "pick up/release" syndrome has been fixed.

I've been one of the more ardent supporters of the game here, so I can't say I would be a good choice to test that. Maybe someone like the Dog or someone similar...

I'm figuring the "limited preview" wouldn't be able to do that. If it could, I'd run a 20 year sim (heck, I'd run 100 if I could) on my computer and look at the results.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:44 PM   #228
Bea-Arthurs Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

Minor feature to most but something I really missed last year, will there be any sound in this years version?
Bea-Arthurs Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:44 PM   #229
CraigSca
Pro Starter

No or limited sound this year - I heard that's on the table for 2008.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:25 AM   #230
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I'm figuring the "limited preview" wouldn't be able to do that. If it could, I'd run a 20 year sim (heck, I'd run 100 if I could) on my computer and look at the results.

No, it will. By limited I mean that it's going to timeout on you probably after 3-4 days.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:29 AM   #231
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Online League enhancements : http://www.ootpbaseball.net/clubhous...gid=26&id=1279
Old 02-26-2007, 12:45 PM   #232
Bee
Pro Starter

The discussion on the OOTP boards about the historic league that TigerFan reported on for the Day 3 TRTR blog is pretty interesting. He's reporting on various players/teams that people are asking about. It's pretty amazing to me how realistic the results were across the board especially considering there's still time for more bug fixes.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:23 PM   #233
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Interesting write-up regarding the historical replay feature. I want this game just for that at this point!

Although, as I suspected, the 'recalculate' feature looks like it is the big trade-off - sacrifice the lesser-knowns becoming more than washouts/bit players but gain accuracy for all players' career paths. Honestly, I'd rather have the former than the latter. Part of the fun of the game is not so much the replay per se as it is the surprises that unfold. And it seems like the only surprises that come out of this kind of replay are (1) injuries to great players and (2) trades. Otherwise, players pretty much progress like they did IRL.

The other thing I don't like is forcing changes to how a player is used. WIth the recalulate feature, Smoltz and Eckersley automatically become relievers/closers as they did IRL. IMO, there should be a contextual reason for those moves that is justified within the replay itself, and not just because they did so IRL. Like I said, it's a big trade-off.

I intend to run my historical replay from about the point that Babe Ruth switches over to full-time OF to get beyond the pitcher/hitter issue (although who he plays for is going to seriously alter the history of the game early-on, obviously) without the recalculate feature turned on, but I think I will assign rookies to their original teams to keep at least a little continuity with real life. And unlike TigerFan, I most certainly will turn on free agency about 1975 or so. I can't imagine baseball (or sports in general) without it now.

In fact, if Markus would like me to pick up where TF left off and run some historical tests using alternative game settings, I'd be happy to post my comments about them.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:36 PM   #234
Bee
Pro Starter

It would be interesting to see a historic replay with the "recalculate" turned off.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:19 PM   #235
Buccaneer
Head Coach

There would be absolutely no way I would play with recalculate on. I like the variance that OOTP5 gives you with historical players - unpredictable yet within the range of plausibility - even without the effects of trading and injuries.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:39 PM   #236
Qrusher14242
High School JV

So with recalculate off does it still change the league totals over the years? I wouldnt want to have recalculate on if it automatically changes players positions. That would make it more of a replay league.
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:35 AM   #237
TigerFan1
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
It would be interesting to see a historic replay with the "recalculate" turned off.

I will post some results with recalculate off in the next day or so. You certainly still have the option to have historical player development be more random like in past versions.
TigerFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:46 AM   #238
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFan1 View Post
I will post some results with recalculate off in the next day or so. You certainly still have the option to have historical player development be more random like in past versions.

Thanks! It's nice that we'll have the ability to tweak the game like that so everyone can get something close to what they want. I have no idea which way I'll go, but I am curious to see what kinds of numbers you get with "recalculate" turned off.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:29 AM   #239
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFan1 View Post

Hey, back off! I was angling for a preview copy of the game and you're seriously damaging my chances!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:13 AM   #240
TigerFan1
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242 View Post
So with recalculate off does it still change the league totals over the years? I wouldnt want to have recalculate on if it automatically changes players positions. That would make it more of a replay league.

I think I understand your question. You want to be able to have the league totals automatically adjust each season just like in OOTP2006 without players changing their positions, correct?

If so, the answer is yes if you want to. They are 2 seperate options that can be turned on or off.

Auto adjust league totals can be enabled or disabled. Enabling it will make the overall league stats follow a development curve similiar to real life. It is designed to make sure you get the homerun explosion in the 1990's and very few homers in the deadball era.

Recalculate player ratings is another option that can be turned on or off. If turned on, you can actually choose to have the ratings based on just the current season, a 3 year period or a 5 year period. Regardless if you enable this option or not you can still turn on or off the option to auto adjust league totals.

Think of it this way:
Auto adjust league totals focus is really on the league as a whole with the goal being to get the right number of homeruns (and all other stat categories) without being concerned who hits them.

Recalculate player ratings is more designed to make sure that the right players hit close to the right number of homeruns.

The only time they do not work well together is when you select the option to recalculate ratings based on the current season only and turn on the auto adjust league settings. You get some real weird numbers that way (and there is a warning in game setup telling you not to do this) but any other combination works fine.

Hope that helps clear it up.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:15 AM   #241
TigerFan1
n00b

To clarify things from my blog a little bit here are some of the new options historical simmers will have with OOTP2007.

There are now two basic modes of play for historical simmers. I am not sure if there will be an official name to each but I have been calling them Classic Mode and Hall of Fame mode.

Classic mode is basically what we have been using all along with the OOTP series. You can import players based on a few different options (whole career, remaining career, peak seasons, etc) but once they are imported their development is no longer based on their real-life careers. They will develop just as a fictional player would in OOTP. The result, as we all know, can give you some careers that pan out similiar to real life but a large number of players develop at a very different pace from their real life careers.

In Classic mode, just as in the past, you can choose to have your league totals recalculated automatically each year. The goal of this is to give the league realistic stats (a lot of work has gone and continues to go into this by the testers). The league leaders may not be the same players they were in real life but the stats will look more or less right for the era. In this mode there will be a homerun explosion in the 90's but it could be Sam Horn instead of Mark McGwire leading the way.

The Hall of Fame mode is the new option a user has. For the past few years there have been a number of people tinkering with modified databases to try and get the players to perform closer to what they did in real life. One of the goals the past few years for Markus and historical beta testers has been to make historical play much easier to use and this Hall of Fame mode is big step in that direction for those who want more of a realistic feel to their league. With the Hall of Fame mode enabled the default player development engine is replaced and players instead change throughout their careers based on their real life stats. The only time I believe the default development kicks in with this mode of play is if a player retired in real life but is still active in the sim.

The result of this Hall of Fame or recalculate ratings mode is player development is so much more accurate. It is this mode of play that my blog was discussing.

Is one mode better than the other? That depends on the user. I expect those who like to sim in 'God Mode' just as commissioners of a solo league will likely prefer the new Hall of Fame mode while online leagues and solo players who like to manage a team may prefer the alternate career paths that result with the Classic Mode. Either way, it is an option and in both cases setting up and playing out a historical league is much easier this time around.

Among the things that make it easier in both modes are the auto expansion draft, automatic team movement and league realignment, auto implementation of the DH at the right time and auto adjustment of the postseason. In Hall of Fame mode you also get the benefit of not having to change Babe Ruth from a pitcher to a hitter, or moving guys like Eckersley to the pen.

The real nice thing in both modes, for those so inclined, is you can start the game up in 1901 and walk away from the cpu. When you come back and it is 2006 in your league you will see that expansion and team movements occurred fine and everything else is how it should be. For someone who does not know when or how to move the Dodgers and Giants west, the game will now do it for you. This, like most other features, is an option so alternate reality buffs can still leave the Dodgers in Brooklyn should they so desire.

Bottom line. Historical simming is much easier and results much more realistic for those that want them to be without sacrificing the randomness that others may prefer.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:28 AM   #242
Bee
Pro Starter

I have a question. Under the "recalculate" mode, can the AI change a player's position and if it does will it get changed back during the next "recalculation" period?
Old 02-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #243
rjolley
College Starter

Has Markus been able to include players who can pitch and hit, like Ruth did? Instead of switching their position completely, can I, for instance, play Ruth in the field when he's not pitching and he'll still perform? And, more importantly, will the AI be able to take advantage of that type of player?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:19 PM   #244
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I like what has been said about the historical expansion and teams moving cities. As for the expansion in historical mode is there an actual expansion draft? I like a lot of what i am hearing so far but remain guarded and will probably wait to hear some feeback once it is released.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:23 PM   #245
TigerFan1
n00b

Quote:
I have a question. Under the "recalculate" mode, can the AI change a player's position and if it does will it get changed back during the next "recalculation" period?

Initially it is set when recalculating the ratings. However, the AI will set it back the next day if necessary once it has set up its roster.

A good example from my blog sim is Pete Rose. Rose spend virtually all of the 1970's in my sim playing second base for the Reds, despite the fact he was an outfielder and third baseman during that time period in real life. The reason was the Reds did not acquire Joe Morgan from Houston in this sim so there was a need at second base.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:25 PM   #246
TigerFan1
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Has Markus been able to include players who can pitch and hit, like Ruth did? Instead of switching their position completely, can I, for instance, play Ruth in the field when he's not pitching and he'll still perform? And, more importantly, will the AI be able to take advantage of that type of player?

I don't believe so. I am pretty sure a player will be either a pitcher or a position player, but not both during any given season.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:26 PM   #247
TigerFan1
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
I like what has been said about the historical expansion and teams moving cities. As for the expansion in historical mode is there an actual expansion draft? I like a lot of what i am hearing so far but remain guarded and will probably wait to hear some feeback once it is released.

Yes there is an actual expansion draft. You can customize how many players each of the existing teams can protect and the AI can run the entire draft on it's own.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:46 PM   #248
TigerFan1
n00b

Quote:

I just simmed from 1901-2006 with recalculate turned off. Here is a little bit of info from the league. If there is anything in particular you want to know about let me know and I will do my best to post it.

The first thing that stands out for me is Jimmie Foxx. He became one of the greatest players I have seen in any historical sim I have ever run. (Note, I did set injuries to low for the entire sim rather than normal so that might have been a factor in Foxx's longevity.

Drafted first overall by the Cubs as a 16 year old in the June 1924 draft, Foxx would go on to lead the majors in virtually every offensive career stat category as he enjoyed a career that spanned 30 years.
Code:
Year/Team/League Age G AB H 2B 3B HR RBI R AVG 1924 Chicago - ML 16 3 6 1 0 0 0 0 1 .167 1925 Chicago - ML 17 130 418 150 21 6 16 111 74 .359 1926 Chicago - ML 18 145 573 178 35 4 17 110 102 .311 1927 Chicago - ML 19 149 595 218 33 4 41 157 122 .366 1928 Chicago - ML 20 149 589 193 30 11 23 122 101 .328 1929 Chicago - ML 21 149 596 192 21 3 47 138 137 .322 1930 Chicago - ML 22 148 558 231 26 4 62 184 168 .414 1931 Chicago - ML 23 147 547 184 26 5 35 117 128 .336 1932 Chicago - ML 24 148 551 196 23 9 46 138 138 .356 1933 Chicago - ML 25 134 486 134 20 6 23 78 84 .276 1934 Chicago - ML 26 122 453 125 17 3 35 101 90 .276 1935 Chicago - ML 27 150 555 171 25 4 50 136 129 .308 1936 Chicago - ML 28 141 526 165 21 8 42 125 121 .314 1937 Chicago - ML 29 131 484 152 21 9 36 111 120 .314 1938 Chicago - ML 30 149 557 187 25 5 50 132 134 .336 1939 Chicago - ML 31 151 556 165 34 3 37 127 122 .297 1940 Chicago - ML 32 151 558 192 29 5 45 121 131 .344 1941 Chicago - ML 33 152 547 175 30 10 44 136 111 .320 1942 Chicago - ML 34 153 549 169 20 9 45 106 127 .308 1943 Chicago - ML 35 152 556 161 21 6 34 98 96 .290 1944 Chicago - ML 36 122 475 140 20 11 33 97 103 .295 1945 Chicago - ML 37 150 572 183 25 15 34 113 103 .320 1946 Chicago - ML 38 142 531 157 15 9 27 69 88 .296 1947 Chicago - ML 39 137 498 130 23 4 28 75 81 .261 1948 Chicago - ML 40 139 511 146 29 8 32 91 82 .286 1949 Chicago - ML 41 72 270 69 13 0 8 41 34 .256 1950 Chicago - ML 42 106 393 101 18 4 13 62 59 .257 1951 Chicago - ML 43 124 372 104 27 5 13 62 64 .280 1952 Chicago - ML 44 108 252 50 5 2 6 34 31 .198 1953 Chicago - ML 45 48 61 10 2 3 0 7 10 .164 Total ML 30 yrs. 3902 14195 4429 655 175 922 2999 2891 .312

A 5 time National League MVP, Foxx's career totals dwarf anyone else to ever play the game.

His 3902 career games played are more than 600 more than anyone else (Jim Breazeale is second with 3275 followed by Willie McCovey with 3271).

His 2891 runs scored are over 500 more than McCovey (2338).

His 4429 hits are more than 600 more than Joe Torre (3772) and Willie McCovey (3715)

Foxx drove in 2999 runs, nearly 600 more than Willie McCovey (2407). Jose Canseco is third with 2095 after just passing Joe Dimaggio (2071) late in the 2006 season.

Foxx hit 922 career homers. Here are the members of the 500 homerun club at the end of 2006.

Code:
1 Jimmie Foxx 922 1924-1953 2 Willie McCovey 898 1958-1979 3 Jose Canseco# 770 1984-2006 4 Howard Johnson 681 1981-2001 5 R Palmeiro 665 1985-2005 6 Orlando Cepeda 642 1957-1975 7 Leon Wagner 607 1957-1974 8 Joe DiMaggio 600 1935-1953 9 Frank Thomas# 596 1989-2006 10 Frank Robinson 590 1955-1973 11 Jim Thome# 585 1990-2006 12 Eddie Mathews 582 1951-1970 13 Eddie Murray 577 1976-1994 14 Gil Hodges 561 1944-1962 15 Jim Rice 559 1973-1997 16 Mark McGwire 558 1986-2000 17 Todd Hundley# 556 1990-2006 18 Kal Daniels 535 1985-2003 19 Ken McMullen 534 1962-1985 20 Albert Belle 526 1988-2004 21 Al Rosen 509 1947-1964 22 A Galarraga 508 1984-2000 23 Cecil Fielder 505 1984-2002 #still active
Old 02-28-2007, 12:28 AM   #249
rjolley
College Starter

What happened with Ruth, Bonds, and Sosa?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:30 AM   #250
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

29 year career? drafted and in the majors at age 16? Um.....