Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-20-2008, 06:32 AM   #201
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I think it would be better to just sim ahead 20 years because you'll have all of the history to compare things with...?

I ended up doing this overnight.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:54 AM   #202
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Game is definitely much,much improved. The one frustrating thing is like a bunch of others I haven't been able to get the logos, jerseys, and or caps to show from the all-in-one-mod in the mod central thing though I did get the players photos? Weird and I haven't seen any mention on the OOTP board about a way to fix it.

Try this, go to the teams in the top menu, start with the D-backs

Click on options and ball parks should be on the D-backs menu now

Click on edit teams logos and uniforms

Click on regenerate under the team logo tab- first one on the left side.

That should fix that problem, it sucks cause you have to do it manually for everyteam, but I had the same problem, and that fixed it for me. Took me about 5-8 mins to do.

Last edited by muns : 06-20-2008 at 06:56 AM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:17 AM   #203
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I'm going to start a real MLB league, release all the players, delete them, and then add all fictional players and do a draft if that's possible.

Probably put the Cardinals last in the draft and let the CPU draft and go from there.

Either that or sim 10 years and pick the worst team to GM.

I did that and all the generated fictional players are crap or average, not any player with contact over 6 (1-10 scale) etc and all them ended with a minimum ML contract once drafted, so all the teams have a payroll of like 22M. I'll sim 10 years or so and i guess it will correct itself, but i wonder why all the generated players are crap.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:23 AM   #204
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post

That should fix that problem, it sucks cause you have to do it manually for everyteam, but I had the same problem, and that fixed it for me. Took me about 5-8 mins to do.

Thanks. So much for the all central mod feature.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:59 AM   #205
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thanks. So much for the all central mod feature.

ya it doesnt make a whole of sense (at least to me) on why everything else works but the logos
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:08 AM   #206
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

First pass at league settings is up...

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-settings.html
Old 06-20-2008, 09:54 AM   #207
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post

Wow. A jbmagic sighting over there...
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #208
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
Wow. A jbmagic sighting over there...

jbmagic posts semi-regularly there.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #209
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I've been habitually deleting the rookie and short-season A ball leagues, but after deleting the rookie leagues, got the idea to turn the SS-A league independent, clear the rosters and make them college leagues. They can't be feeders into the draft, since you have to do that straight away, but...i can make one a high school league and the other a college league and have them feed into each other, providing me with undrafted free agents.

I'll change the league nationalities, but not the actual team names or anything. We'll see how it works.

Then I'll create feeders to feed my draft. I'm finding 20 rounds with ghost players doesn't bloat the league with 1000s of free agents, but keeps teams minor league systems from running out of players.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-20-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:04 AM   #210
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
ya it doesnt make a whole of sense (at least to me) on why everything else works but the logos

I *think* you can do that all in one shot from the game functions screen under game setup. Somewhere in there, probably under a head called logos and pictures there is a button that says update all logos, update all uniforms or something like that.

It will then give you the logos and everything else from the mod without having to go through EVERY team.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:52 AM   #211
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Two nights in a row getting to bed at 5:30... I love this game, even with my Tigers going from 52-17 to 65-69. 2 SP's out for a good chunk of the season, Granderson is done for a full year, Cabrerra, Renteria & Guillen all missed two to three months and Shef & Pudge got old real fast...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:19 PM   #212
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
I did that and all the generated fictional players are crap or average, not any player with contact over 6 (1-10 scale) etc and all them ended with a minimum ML contract once drafted, so all the teams have a payroll of like 22M. I'll sim 10 years or so and i guess it will correct itself, but i wonder why all the generated players are crap.

Well that stinks.. guess I'll sim 20 years as well then.

Could be a long night for me tonight!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:58 PM   #213
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

What they need is a "Randomize Players Names" button in the commish options. That just randomizes the names with the current stats and all.

I mean names are only names, it's your fault you know who the players are...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:13 PM   #214
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
So the default-MLB roster isn't quite fit entirely for long-term play at the moment, but it'll do to get accustomed to the game.

If you're looking for "name" players out of the box, it's fine, I suppose.

If you're expecting things like Brad Penny being a strong #1 or #2 pitcher, Hiroki Kuroda not being a useless turd, or Chad Billingsley having any kind of potential, you're not going to find it here. Not without some editing.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:46 PM   #215
FBPro
College Starter

I did this and it worked till I got to the Mariners then it wouldn't update from there on out for some reason. Gonna exit out of the game and try again.

Quote:

GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:14 PM   #216
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro View Post
I did this and it worked till I got to the Mariners then it wouldn't update from there on out for some reason. Gonna exit out of the game and try again.

Given the Mariners year I'm not surprised they were fucked up there too.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:49 PM   #217
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

So I finally got to finish my Western Hemisphere Association and ran one season. Things were a little odd to start off, like Aruba not fielding a whole team. I figured this was do to being able to only have 10 foreigners on your roster and Aruba not having enough talent. I quickly changed it to Virgin Islands and made it part of Puerto Rico since they should have enough talent.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:38 PM   #218
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Well that stinks.. guess I'll sim 20 years as well then.

Could be a long night for me tonight!!!

I was wrong, generated players are fine, it was the scouting error that confused me (i thought that playing as commish, i was seeing real ratings and not scouted).

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:29 PM   #219
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

So what exactly is the point of the OSA scouting anyway? Is it to get a general look at all the players in the league or what? To me it is so insignificant it isn't really worth looking at.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:17 PM   #220
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Interim Patch to be released this weekend

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ming-soon.html

Fixes:
- Import from OOTP 8 L/R Splits issues will work properly
- Crash when clicking on player news stories while playing out a game
- Game stuck when DH is ejected
- Toned down suspensions resulting from brawls
- Fixed position selection menu disappearing at times
- Fixed foreigner rule selection in league setup
Old 06-20-2008, 08:22 PM   #221
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Starting to sim season two of the WHA. I plan on simming 10 seasons, getting it up to 1980, before I actually play. I am doing it slow so far though as I watch how things unfold some and see how the AI is handling rosters.

On opening day of season two I find it interesting how most of the foreign rosters spots on every team is used for pitching. Usually only one or two position players are foreigners at the most. I find it interesting because the Mexican teams have foreign pitchers, and a Canadian team has 5 Mexicans on their pitching staff.

Last edited by Cringer : 06-20-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:47 PM   #222
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:

If people would take the time to read the instructions I prepared over on the OOTP forums, they would see that taking these steps isn't necessary...

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...od-thread.html

It really does work if the feature is used correctly.
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:49 PM   #223
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I agree...worked fine for me
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:54 PM   #224
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, going into the third season of the WHA I am limiting teams to only 4 foreign pitchers. Now they are forced to have some native guys and maybe some of these teams in smaller nations will get someone to hit over .300.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:25 PM   #225
Anthony
Banned

how do you upload logos for fictional leagues? i created the Cape Cod league as a league in my MLB universe. would like to throw in real logos.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:18 PM   #226
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was wrong, generated players are fine, it was the scouting error that confused me (i thought that playing as commish, i was seeing real ratings and not scouted).

Thanks.. get your quickstart up in the mods section!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:31 PM   #227
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Good lord, I love that you can change settings mid-career, I would hate to start all over after simming 5 years. I am considering on taking off all roster restrictions for all teams to see what happens. Things just seem a bit odd this way even though it is how I wanted it. My biggest concern I had not thought of before hand for the WHA is the draft. Teams are drafting players from all over, yet they can only have some many foreigners. Not sure I will like that once I take over a team.

I did find it interesting that Paris took a french player in the first round once. Not exactly a normal draft move I would think. SO far the guy hasn't been too hot from what I see either. Overall I think my setup has been the hardest for the European teams, with teams winning the division with a losing record.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:49 PM   #228
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Well crap. My 6th season was done and I was looking over stuff in the history. The Baseball News section, and hit view in external browser and it locked up on me. Had to shut it down with Task Manager.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:14 AM   #229
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
also a random note - I notice many pitchers (in a real-MLB universe) having what appears to be a "default 3" pitches - fastball, slider, changeup -- even when they should have more -- someone like Dice-K comes to mind. Or Wakefield not having a knuckleball.

So the default-MLB roster isn't quite fit entirely for long-term play at the moment, but it'll do to get accustomed to the game.
To be honest, the MLB rosters are pure crap. It was clearly a rushed attempt at rosters and probably should have not been advertised with the game. My biggest gripe with the rosters is that there are players with real names who were never adjusted rating wise. It's tough to edit. I'd have preffered less players that were rated correctly, then I could add new ones. Now I don't know who to edit and you're almost like starting from scratch.

There are some people in the roster mod forum attempting to fix them, but if you've witnessed the roster mod forum in action, you won't see anything till 2009 (although you'll learn a lot about everyone's varying illnesses, family deaths, financial problems, etc).
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:10 AM   #230
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I'm setting up a Quick Start to share with everyone with my league settings, and would like to have a league logo included. It's going to be called the North American Baseball Alliance. I don't need much, just something to put in the HTML and wherever else league logos can go in-game. (Yes, I am clueless.) I'm pulling from the cephasjames stuff for the team logos and unis. Thanks in advance.

--Ben
Old 06-21-2008, 05:23 AM   #231
Ragone
Pro Rookie

bleh, i totally spaced out the release of this game and missed the preorder discount.. ah well
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:19 AM   #232
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Crap. So I take off roster restrictions on all teams before I go to bed last night, and set it to sim 5 seasons. I am looking over things this morning and the teams have gone nuts with foreign players, what I was worried about. The Euro teams I understand, but for a U.S. team to not have one single U.S. player on their roster was kind of annoying to see. And to think a Puerto Rican team would have no Puerto Ricans just doesn't fit well with me. I think I will go back to the limits on foreign players. I wish I could just require each team to have 10 homegrown players and do what they want for the rest, that would be the happy medium. Can't do that though.

Looks like I should turn injuries down as well. I see a career ending injury for a guy at 28 who was going to be an all time great for this league.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #233
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Anyone have any good financial settings for a league with a salary cap?

Also, what do the numbers mean when it comes to market size? Maybe I'm missing something, but it would be good if there was a chart somewhere that lined up population with market size or something like that.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #234
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Good lord, I love that you can change settings mid-career, I would hate to start all over after simming 5 years. I am considering on taking off all roster restrictions for all teams to see what happens. Things just seem a bit odd this way even though it is how I wanted it. My biggest concern I had not thought of before hand for the WHA is the draft. Teams are drafting players from all over, yet they can only have some many foreigners. Not sure I will like that once I take over a team.

dola

I actually kinda like the idea of roster restrictions as it forces some interesting strategic decisions. Do you sign that foreign free agent knowing you'll have to get rid of one of your existing foreign players? Do you draft a player from your home nation who might not be as good as the foreigner in order to make sure your roster will work a few years down the road? How well the AI handles these decisions I'm not sure.

Last edited by Ajaxab : 06-21-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:41 AM   #235
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
dola

I actually kinda like the idea of roster restrictions as it forces some interesting strategic decisions. Do you sign that foreign free agent knowing you'll have to get rid of one of your existing foreign players? Do you draft a player from your home nation who might not be as good as the foreigner in order to make sure your roster will work a few years down the road? How well the AI handles these decisions I'm not sure.

That was the point behind the whole thing and I think I will be going back to it. I don't like the fact that almost every team decided to go 80-100% foreign players the second I took off restrictions. I wanted something in the middle, but the way I had it the first 5 years was better then the last 5 I think. I need to watch the draft closely and see what happens though...

Last edited by Cringer : 06-21-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:02 AM   #236
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
That was the point behind the whole thing and I think I will be going back to it. I don't like the fact that almost every team decided to go 80-100% foreign players the second I took off restrictions. I wanted something in the middle, but the way I had it the first 5 years was better then the last 5 I think. I need to watch the draft closely and see what happens though...

It's interesting to note that European football is considering going back to a version of a restriction on foreign players by forcing clubs playing in European competitions to field 5-6 home grown players in every game which would be basically half of your starters. You might be able to achieve something similar with your league, but it's hard to know precisely which number to use. Half your active roster? Half of your batting lineup? I'm not sure.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:05 AM   #237
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm releasing a new version of my financial market mod. Seems lots of folks are wondering about market size, because the game has done strange things to it and the only reason I created that mod was to counteract that.

I think this year, I'm going to make it a simpler tool that calculates market size the way it ought to be calculated, which is, ignoring the team's performance and basing it solely on local media market, etc., because that way, all you'd have to do literally is plug in 14-30 or however many teams you have, market sizes into the game and that would be it.

It got to be pretty onerous in past iterations of the mod.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:42 AM   #238
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It's interesting to note that European football is considering going back to a version of a restriction on foreign players by forcing clubs playing in European competitions to field 5-6 home grown players in every game which would be basically half of your starters. You might be able to achieve something similar with your league, but it's hard to know precisely which number to use. Half your active roster? Half of your batting lineup? I'm not sure.

The first season of the league I had it set to 10 foreign players per team, no position restrictions. I quickly noticed every team was filling out their pitching staffs with all their allowed foreign players. So I left the overall number of 10 (the highest you can go) foreign players allowed, but limited pitchers to four. I switched it back to that system now and will sim a good chunk of years to see how teams get back on track. This is slowly starting to turn into a test league for this set up for me it seems.....

Like you said, I wish I could go to that halfway point, but I don't see a way to do it. The most foreign players you can authorize is 10. I would prefer to just swing it the other way and say you have to have 10 or 12 home grown guys and the rest can be foreign if you want. There is no option for that though.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #239
Galaril
Pro Starter

One thing that I am not sure if I am doing wrong or not so I will mention it. I am using the custom historical league based on MLB and if I want to have a triple AAA it makes up bogus team names and affiliations? It is weird since they have the real MLB teams but not the minors. I know you can change it it just seems odd or lazy.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #240
Flasch186
Coordinator

5 pages dedicated to setting things up? this game is not for me

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #241
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post

That's what I'm thinking.

I thought 6.5 was a pretty solid game (with waivers off) and thought 2007 was interesting/promising, but it was a lot of work getting things set up correctly, so it shifted from being a game into more of a simulator with a hodge podge of options that worked with various levels of success. I spent too many evenings with 2007 trying to set my league up and then realizing that one thing or another didn't work properly or could only be adjusted when you first generate the league, so I never got to actually play the game too much.

I might pick this one up later, but as of right now the combination of the price and the time investment to get it playing well make it a wait and see for me.

Last edited by Swaggs : 06-21-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:13 PM   #242
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

To be fair, it's 5 pages on "setting things up customized the way I want baseball to run", not 5 pages on "getting it to work at all". If you read there are probably half a dozen if not more customized league setups that differ from MLB being discussed in here.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:17 PM   #243
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
It is a thing you choose. You can be meticulous in your settings and fictional leagues or you can use the two quickstarts that are preloaded with the game. It is just all want you are wanting to do and how you want your league to run. People make some pretty good mods too which makes things extremely easy.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:30 PM   #244
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, to say it is five pages of setting up the game is a stretch. If you want my impressions then I love the game so far. At the same time I have chosen to try an odd league and having never done it before I am posting about it and some of the things happening.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #245
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, so I am thinking that the WHA is going down the toilet. I have 20 years simmed now and I don't think I like it. It is not a problem with the game as much as it is a problem with my vision for the league. I basically set up a full division, 4 of 24 teams, that had no chance of doing anything against the rest of the league. Ireland, England, France, and Spain just won't produce the level of talent that the teams from Mexico, U.S., Cuba, and the others get to pick and choose from. To see their division winner have a losing record more times then not just blows.

There are flaws with the talent distribution that I can't work around with this system. And at this point I don't want to just release the roster restrictions again and act like nothing happened. My league history is already tainted because of what I was trying to do.

I saved my template though and if I hear of a good way to feed talent to teams like this in the future I will try it again. I am not real familiar with feeder leagues yet so maybe the answer is in those. As for now I think I will set up a U.S. based league that just shoots out into the neighboring countries a little.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:50 PM   #246
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
One thing that I am not sure if I am doing wrong or not so I will mention it. I am using the custom historical league based on MLB and if I want to have a triple AAA it makes up bogus team names and affiliations? It is weird since they have the real MLB teams but not the minors. I know you can change it it just seems odd or lazy.

Considering the yearly changes in minor league affiliations and locations, I don't think it's odd or lazy that they didn't include it.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #247
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Ok, so I am thinking that the WHA is going down the toilet. I have 20 years simmed now and I don't think I like it. It is not a problem with the game as much as it is a problem with my vision for the league. I basically set up a full division, 4 of 24 teams, that had no chance of doing anything against the rest of the league. Ireland, England, France, and Spain just won't produce the level of talent that the teams from Mexico, U.S., Cuba, and the others get to pick and choose from. To see their division winner have a losing record more times then not just blows.

There are flaws with the talent distribution that I can't work around with this system. And at this point I don't want to just release the roster restrictions again and act like nothing happened. My league history is already tainted because of what I was trying to do.

I saved my template though and if I hear of a good way to feed talent to teams like this in the future I will try it again. I am not real familiar with feeder leagues yet so maybe the answer is in those. As for now I think I will set up a U.S. based league that just shoots out into the neighboring countries a little.

In this thread on OOTP, I posted my world baseball ranking, based largely on performance/results and baseball infrastructure in said countries. It doesn't include countries that didn't attempt to qualify for the 2008 Olympics, however.

I've included my nations.txt file into it, which could give you a better setup of nations that actually have baseball talent, modified by my ranking and as a result, might make it a lil' easier to do what you're doing.

Or not.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:42 PM   #248
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
Considering the yearly changes in minor league affiliations and locations, I don't think it's odd or lazy that they didn't include it.

Not sure but the TRIPLE AAA affiliations stay pretty constant. But why not use the real names?
Old 06-21-2008, 01:50 PM   #249
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

My current setup is 3 levels of minors, with a Japanese major league, a MLB with 36 teams and 4 feeder leagues. The feeders are a HS and College league based in the US, a development league primarily based in the caribbean called the Development League of the Americas and then a feeder league (Classified as a rookie league after creation) Called the World Baseball Academy with teams from around the world based on my ranking list.

All of the leagues feed into MLB. The World Baseball Academy goes from age 15 to age 22 though, so those kids stay there the longest (on purpose) In the other leagues, it's 18, except for the DLA where they can leave at 17.

I think I'm going to move the draft until the off-season too. The June draft thing just throws off my flow.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:51 PM   #250
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Not sure but the TRIPLE AAA affiliations stay pretty constant. But why not use the real names?

Other priorities in testing and the MLB file has all of the proper names/affiliations.