Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Weekday League (FOWL)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Two major changes. One goes into effect 2023, the other 2024.

Both of these are FOOL-style.There are also two minor changes that are residual effects of the two big new ones:

1. Starting in 2023, we will sim the season in one day. 16 games. No injuries.
Pretty straightforward here. If you want your rookie to develop, put him in the depth chart.

2. Starting in 2024, there will be no more true amateur draft. It has been a royal pain already, and I can't imagine having only 10 days between drafts. So we're going back to how we started, but with a slightly different twist due to some code I've written. This is delayed until 2024 so that people who have traded for 2023 draft picks will get to use them.
  • I will generate a list of the worst 224 (by adjusted rating) players in the draft. Using Greg's Draft Recorder, they will all be drafted. You don't have to sign them. (I would advise against it in 99.99% of cases. )
  • Therefore, the top players will be available during FA2 to be signed on the open market. This also creates the need for a rule adjustment...
3. Also starting in 2024, all contracts offered to free agents in FA2:1-3 must be for 3 years or longer. This is absolutely necessary for draftees. All players with contract offers will sign in FA2:3, so anyone left over after then has to be considered pretty much unwanted, and therefore available for a one-year deal.

4. We'll dump the one trade per year rule starting in 2023. Draft picks for 2024 and beyond of course are no longer worth anything at all, so any players traded in 2023 will be for 2023 picks, or for players. Starting in 2024, the only trades we'll have will be player for player.

2023 Schedule Model
DAY 1: Stadium/Staff Hiring.
DAY 2: Summer/Ticket/FA1:1
DAY 3: FA1:2
DAY 4: FA1:3
DAY 5: FA1:4 (Draft Begins)
DAY 6: FA1:5
DAY 7: FA1:6-7
DAY 8: FA1:8-9
DAY 9: FA1:10-12 (Draft Ends)
DAY 10: FA2:1-2
DAY 11: FA2:3-5
DAY 12: TC
DAY 13: Midweek
DAY 14: Preseason, Regular Season Weeks 1-17
DAY 15: Postseason

2024 and onward Schedule Model
DAY 1: Stadium/Staff Hiring.
DAY 2: Summer/Ticket/FA1:1
DAY 3: FA1:2-3
DAY 4: FA1:4-5
DAY 5: FA1:6-7
DAY 6: FA1:8-12
DAY 7: FA2:1
DAY 8: FA2:2
DAY 9: FA2:3
DAY 10: FA2:4-5
DAY 11: TC
DAY 12: Midweek (last chance to fill out roster after camp)
DAY 13: Preseason, Regular Season Weeks 1-17
DAY 14: Postseason

This season ends on Wednesday of next week. We'll wait until the following Monday to start 2023, so we can find some more owners. I suspect that these changes will attract some new ones to a radically different league, but that it will also mean that we lose some old ones.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 03-18-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Guess I'll be sticking with WOOF then, since a draft every 2 weeks was the one thing I was going to like here. Sounds interesting, just not my cup of tea.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Guess I'll be sticking with WOOF then, since a draft every 2 weeks was the one thing I was going to like here. Sounds interesting, just not my cup of tea.
Something to consider: I could be wrong here, but I suspect that some will prepare similarly for FA2 as we would for the draft. I know I will still run Extractor and use Draft Analyzer to rank the rookie class. It's just that now rather than entering the guys I can use into Conscriptor, I'll make contract offers to the ones I'm interested in. I would *think* that this would give Analyzer as much of a workout as if we had a traditional draft every two weeks.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
Ben E Lou

Of course, the ideal outcome here is that I talk you into staying here AND staying in WOOF.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Not going to happen. Doing the draft with the new Analyzer is the ONLY reason I'm sticking around for WOOF.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
Ben E Lou

F.A.Q. About New Rules
  1. Won't the lack of a draft make it too easy for top teams to remain on top? It shouldn't, because top teams shouldn't have the cap room to compete with bottom teams for the best players available. Plus, we'll get through seasons so quickly that it won't be much time real-time before the top teams' best players fade into oblivion. At this pace, we'll get the next 10 seasons done before the end of August.
  2. I spent a ton of time doing that initial FA period? Won't this be a ton, too? For teams that have a bunch of holes to fill, it could be. But for teams with a handful of specific needs (most of us), I don't see it. My best guess is that the strategy will be to spend all available cap room on filling the important holes, and then just roster-filler for the others.
  3. Why can't we just be a normal league, just a little faster? Because the idea from the start was to do something really different. And so far, it hasn't been all that different--just a couple more games a week. Many people do not game plan or make depth chart changes from week to week (myself included), so it's just feeling like a barely-faster version of leagues that sim 3 games per week and are already consolidating some FA stages and preseason. The strategies have been the same as in every other league. This change will give us the opportunity to explore new strats. Do you skimp on FA1 so you have a bunch of cap room left in FA2 for youngsters? Dump all your vets and go all-in in FA2? It seems like this setup gives us lots of options for building a team, and most importantly, if you try something and it doesn't work, you can try something completely new and rebuild in about 6 weeks real-time.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
Subby
lolzcat

We want something different from the run of the mill leagues and this gives it to us.

Definitely willing to give it a shot.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
Ben E Lou

One small change that just hit me: because finances (specifically maxbonus) will matter a lot in this league, we need to enable stadium changes, which means staff hiring I will be back in play.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
wade moore
lolzcat

You may have already planned this, but for us psychopaths can you be sure to include all 17 solevision files when you do the exports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
chinaski
College Prospect

Are we still limiting rookie QB's and WR's at no greater than 6.5 adjusted?
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #11
Shard77
Mascot

I'm definitely in for 2023. I'll may stick around for the 2024 season to try out the new format, but I enjoy the draft a lot more than the FA stages so I'm not sure if I'll be here for the long term.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #12
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
You may have already planned this, but for us psychopaths can you be sure to include all 17 solevision files when you do the exports?
I will.

But really??? You're gonna watch a whole season in Solevision in a day??? Yowza!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Are we still limiting rookie QB's and WR's at no greater than 6.5 adjusted?
Yes. No other rules are changing unless specified. I don't *think* there's anything else that needs to change.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 03-18-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #13
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Yes. No other rules are changing unless specified. I don't *think* there's anything else that needs to change.

Sweet!
Old 03-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #14
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
But really??? You're gonna watch a whole season in Solevision in a day??? Yowza!!!

Or maybe he wants to look at boxscores from some/all of the games?
Old 03-18-2009, 03:46 PM   #15
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Awesome
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:53 PM   #16
QuikSand
lolzcat

Very excited to see the acceleration next year, and the revisited draft concept another year out. Couldn't have designed it better myself.

*whew*
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:02 PM   #17
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Or maybe he wants to look at boxscores from some/all of the games?

Both really. If my team is fighting for a playoff spot, I may solevision. If they're running away with a playoff spot or way out of it I may just want box scores.

I did this with the ECFL. It was just as insane then as it is now, but I did it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #18
TheMeat
n00b

I love the new sim-in-one-day format, I'm very much looking forward to the new system, but I'd like to add my hat to the pile of those who really like to draft. I'm 100.5% dedicated to staying in the league as we try new things and learn from an accelerated system, I think it'll be great fun, but I will miss the draft.
Owner/GM of the soon to be awesome Fort Worth Fury of the IHOF

TheMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:18 PM   #19
Sef0r
n00b

I had written this whole thing about how I hate the new 2024 game set up and how it only helps teams with cap money and people who know how to work the system....

...then I realised, this isn't my league, I am just a participant and the whole point is to be different so why not.

I guess we will all know how this turns out when we run through the 2024 season.

I prefer the draft, but the new FA:2 signings will be interested.
You should make it a point now that there are absolutely no rules around the type of money you offer a player, otherwise there will be an issue. Only rule is to offer a minimum of 3 years.

Last edited by Sef0r : 03-18-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Sef0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:59 AM   #20
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sef0r View Post
I guess we will all know how this turns out when we run through the 2024 season.
I disagree. I think we need a few seasons in the new format to really know. It's not a one-shot deal. People who get surprised by strategies in 2024 will have the opportunity to adjust and come up with better ones for 2025--and just two weeks later.

Quote:
You should make it a point now that there are absolutely no rules around the type of money you offer a player, otherwise there will be an issue.
Why will there be an issue?
Old 03-19-2009, 05:46 AM   #21
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

This league will certainly have some history, and I dig the speed and the FA2 draft idea.. I think it makes the game completely different and will be pretty damned exciting.

This will probably help keep teams pressed to the cap all by itself, as it will be like having a huge FA crop every year, except these guys won't be 5 years in the league already.

It will be fun. Almost like an SP game with human AI.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:22 AM   #22
QuikSand
lolzcat

I like to draft too, but I'm not ready to despair that there will no longer be a draft. The things that I actually like about the draft will still be there, for the most part -- evaluation of team needs, weighing position importance, planning for future roles, deciding what are our top priorities, sizing up players who would be our top pursuits, and so forth.

I guess I lose the incremental thrill of watching picks go by at whatever pace, but to me, this is sort of like moving from a draft to an auction in fantasy league. You might like one more than the other, but nobody really says that they are nothing alike.

Last edited by QuikSand : 03-19-2009 at 07:22 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:56 AM   #23
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
The things that I actually like about the draft will still be there, for the most part -- evaluation of team needs, weighing position importance, planning for future roles, deciding what are our top priorities, sizing up players who would be our top pursuits, and so forth.
Very well said. As I said earlier, I suspect that I will prepare in a very similar fashion as I've always done. It's just that rather than asking myself if I'm willing to trade up to acquire player X, I will need to ask myself how much of my available cap room am I willing to invest in player X for three years.

Quote:
I guess I lose the incremental thrill of watching picks go by at whatever pace, but to me, this is sort of like moving from a draft to an auction in fantasy league. You might like one more than the other, but nobody really says that they are nothing alike.
I hadn't thought about the auction/draft analogy, but it's a very appropriate one for this change.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:53 PM   #24
Sef0r
n00b

Quote:
I disagree. I think we need a few seasons in the new format to really know. It's not a one-shot deal. People who get surprised by strategies in 2024 will have the opportunity to adjust and come up with better ones for 2025--and just two weeks later.

Why will there be an issue?

You are correct, I think we will need a few seasons but I really do think this will work out. I am looking forward to it but in some ways I am glad we get one more draft, I have the 4th overall pick

Issue? I was relating it more to the issue that Wade and a few others had with your offer to his QB. The one where, ignoring the fact no one offered him a contract, you got him for a 1 year deal, with the other 2 years being unrealistic.

What I am saying is, you have already stated a minimum of 3 years must be done, you should probably also add that it does not matter how you sign them to those 3 years.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #25
path12
Coordinator

Seems a good a place as any to say hi from the new Detroit Lions owner. Looking forward to the new format. I love the draft as well but this sounds really interesting.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:57 AM   #26
Sef0r
n00b

Welcome, I do hope you enjoy it here, it is great, especially the league website.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #27
Shard77
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Seems a good a place as any to say hi from the new Detroit Lions owner. Looking forward to the new format. I love the draft as well but this sounds really interesting.

Welcome to the league.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:50 PM   #28
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Saying hi as well from Denver. Looking forward this, haven't tried an online FOF league in quite some time.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:26 AM   #29
eiskrap
n00b

Interesting changes, will be fun to see how this changes things up. The thing that immediately hits me is that it will be a bit hard for 4-12 or 5-13 teams. They will no longer benefit from having sole access to the studs of the draft. While I guess you would think they might have the most available cap space, I don't think it always works out like that. I guess "Wants winner" being improtant here too? Will the best rookies not just go to the best teams, unless another team has a load of spare cap room to throw at them?

One question: Instead of having a mid-week after TC would we be able to run the preseason here instead? This would still allow people get some roster filler, but also allow people to tinker with gameplans/personnel? I'm not sure if this will interfere with anything else?
eiskrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:12 AM   #30
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiskrap View Post
I guess "Wants winner" being improtant here too? Will the best rookies not just go to the best teams, unless another team has a load of spare cap room to throw at them?
Wants winner only a small modifier. It's all about the Benjamins. If a 4-12 team offers a guy a $40M bonus, and a 13-3 team offers a $35M bonus, I'm fairly certain he's signing with the 4-12 team (assuming equal salaries) 9 times out of 10. The weaker team only has to offer moderately less money.

Quote:
One question: Instead of having a mid-week after TC would we be able to run the preseason here instead? This would still allow people get some roster filler, but also allow people to tinker with gameplans/personnel? I'm not sure if this will interfere with anything else?
Good question. I would *think* that the midweek there would be more important, to give people a chance to sign players to get legal so that the AI doesn't mess with their rosters during the preseason games, but I'm open to doing that either way.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #31
eiskrap
n00b

I would have thought that most teams that were paying much attention would have a pretty full roster going into TC. I'd much prefer to be able to tinker my gameplan preseason, anybody else got an opinion on this?
eiskrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:56 PM   #32
Sef0r
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiskrap View Post
I would have thought that most teams that were paying much attention would have a pretty full roster going into TC. I'd much prefer to be able to tinker my gameplan preseason, anybody else got an opinion on this?

Agreed. Ben, I'm fairly certain that most owners know how to manage their teams without requiring a midweek sim. If by FA2:wk 5 they haven't even signed some scrub roster filler then that should be a loss to them. Also, they still get the TC sim to sign players.

Pre season please.

Also, to give us time to get full again and get all other owners notified should we maybe start the new season next Monday? It might seem long to some, but it gives us a good break too.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:43 PM   #33
arizing540
Mascot

Anyway we can push off the no draft thing til 2025? With the cap hell my team was in when I took over, I had to trade away all my draft picks for picks in 2023 and 2024. Now those 2024 picks are worthless.

Commish of the FFL
Pittsburgh Steelers
arizing540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:29 AM   #34
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizing540 View Post
Anyway we can push off the no draft thing til 2025? With the cap hell my team was in when I took over, I had to trade away all my draft picks for picks in 2023 and 2024. Now those 2024 picks are worthless.

I have to echo this one as well... I sent my 1st, 3rd and 4th last draft for matching picks in 2024. I really hope we decide to put this off, it seems reasonable... you generally see teams trade 1-2 years out with picks, 3 years not so much. A quick glance at last years trade, I dont see any teams that went 3 seasons out.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #35
RipMurdock
n00b

Quote:

Sounds pretty reasonable.

Jets

2022 FOWL Bowl Champions --- New Jersey Jets
RipMurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:03 AM   #36
Subby
lolzcat

I would be willing to trade my picks in this draft for 2024 picks if we can agree to just do away with that draft. I'll do anything to keep this train on the tracks.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 03-26-2009, 11:06 AM   #37
Ben E Lou

Me too, Subby. I'd rather slightly handicap my team than go through two more drafts. About to do some checking...
Old 03-27-2009, 12:38 AM   #38
chinaski
College Prospect

Id really hate to take someones picks, just seems weak on my part if I did that. I wish I noticed what year we were doing away with the draft a little sooner, it really didnt cross my mind until arizing brought it up. I only care as im going thru a pretty drastic rebuilding phase (got this team 65 million OVER the cap), had to release most of our best players and specifically traded for picks in 2024 due to my financial situation.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:44 AM   #39
chinaski
College Prospect

I wonder if Cincy would want to amend our trade to make it for this years picks? His team is looking really good as is and has 39 signed atm.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:34 AM   #40
RipMurdock
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I would be willing to trade my picks in this draft for 2024 picks if we can agree to just do away with that draft. I'll do anything to keep this train on the tracks.

Great idea. I'll throw in my 2023 picks as well (they're not much).

Jets

Old 03-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #41
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

I'll offer my picks as well. And I know from experience that if you ask nicely, Subby will throw in one of his world famous handjobs to ease whatever frustration might still be lingering.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #42
Subby
lolzcat

hand job jokes

how the mighty have fallen...

Old 03-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #43
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

I'm bringing them back. Like mustaches and the filet o fish.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #44
arizing540
Mascot

I agree with chinaski... I'd hate to take someone else's picks.

I have all of the Jets draft picks in 2024. In the best interest of moving the league forward, I'll trade them all for picks this year. Rip, would you mind trading me your 3rd-7th rounders this year in exchange for your 3rd-7th rounders back in 2024?

Then I'd just need to find someone to take the Jets' 1st and 2nd rounder in 2024 for picks this year

Commish of the FFL
Pittsburgh Steelers

Last edited by arizing540 : 03-27-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #45
RipMurdock
n00b

Quote:
I agree with chinaski... I'd hate to take someone else's picks.

I have all of the Jets draft picks in 2024. In the best interest of moving the league forward, I'll trade them all for picks this year. Rip, would you mind trading me your 3rd-7th rounders this year in exchange for your 3rd-7th rounders back in 2024?

Then I'd just need to find someone to take the Jets' 1st and 2nd rounder in 2024 for picks this year

It's a deal.

Jets

Old 03-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #46
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I'll trade you my 1st and 2nd this year for the Jets' 1st and 2nd in 2024.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #47
arizing540
Mascot

ok.. i posted the trades in the trade forum. feel free to confirm at any time

Commish of the FFL
Pittsburgh Steelers
Old 03-29-2009, 06:20 AM   #48
Ben E Lou

Yeah. With people trading that many 2024 picks, we need to have a 2024 draft. Draft rule goes into effect 2025.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:53 AM   #49
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Yeah. With people trading that many 2024 picks, we need to have a 2024 draft. Draft rule goes into effect 2025.

Wait... I made this deal to prevent that.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:08 PM   #50
Sef0r
n00b

Yeah while at first I wasn't for this I am liking the idea more and I think we need it to change it up a bit. I vote to keep it as it was before, draft in 2023, no draft in 2024.

Those who want picks in 2023 should ask for them and those who don't care about this years picks because they are looking forward to no draft next year should give their 2023 picks to those who don't have any - as MalcPow has done.

Keep it the way it was, those who missed out on the whole build up to this with not being able to have a say sorry but its only fair to those who have really wanted this.

Create a new thread for those who traded away their 2023 draft picks for 2024 draft picks and those who are willing to offer up 2023 draft picks they don't want can do so.