Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Weekday League (FOWL)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-30-2009, 04:38 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

2039 FA2:3-5 Complete

http://textsports.net/files/fowl/203...Stages3to5.zip

FOWL TRANSACTIONS

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:51 AM   #2
Groo
Mascot

Wow... a lot of frustration here. One rookie turned me down for a worse offer, lost one player to an offer that was only $80k more than mine, and several others that were very close.

Annoys me that I lost a few guys because of my own frugality. Now I have cap space sitting around and not being utilized. This first FA for me in this league was frustrating, but I learned a lot.

Now, we have some core players in place, and should be better able to target specific positions, and players, in next year's FA free for all.

So let's get to training camp and start playing some ball!
Groo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groo View Post
One rookie turned me down for a worse offer

How do you know? Was your offer nearly all bonus? Don't look at the total, the real key is bonus per year.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Ugh. Didn't think I had a real shot at RB Charron, but got him plus 2 other RBs, and was out of cap room on some LBs and a DT. Ah well.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #5
Subby
lolzcat

We probably overpaid, but FL Austin Kalu is an affinity and has ridiculous speed and agility. Hopefully it translates.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
Bako
H.S. Freshman Team

I have a feeling we in Dallas are going to regret letting RB Berkhofer go to Portland.....
Old 11-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
Groo
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
How do you know? Was your offer nearly all bonus? Don't look at the total, the real key is bonus per year.

Yes, I offered $30k a year more in bonus, with higher than the minimum salary in the first year as well. Not a big deal, as it was just a ST player I looked at late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
We probably overpaid, but FL Austin Kalu is an affinity and has ridiculous speed and agility. Hopefully it translates.

I liked Kalu, but being a new team I needed players everywhere. So I had to try to budget my money, and I didn't have enough in the budget to pay for the top prospects in several key positions. I hope to get a good core group out of this rookie class to start building some cohesion. Then, I should be able to make more competitive offers in future seasons when I only have a few needs and a bit of money to work with.

Overall, I'm DEFINTELY not complaining. I actually signed more guys than I expected to, so I'm very happy. Just annoys me that, because I'm so cheap and budget conscious, I missed out on a couple of ST players (ILB Emmons, S Doleman, and KR/S Fredrickson). Also just missed out on K Robbie Burgess, but I'm sorta happy because the $13.5M I offered was way over my budget number for a kicker. Missing on DE Keith was the worst hit. Again, being cheap was my problem as I only offered $10.5M in bonus, plus $1M a season... I originally was going to put out $12M bonus (had it in the offer and everything), but thought that $10.5M would be enough... I was wrong, LOL. I was thinking about all the other areas of need I had, and minimized the offer just enough to lose out... That's probably my biggest loss, as I think he's going to be a monster DE with his 4.65 speed.

So, this first FA session for me was a good learning experience. I did my homework to see how much top players at each position were going for, and it paid off pretty well. In the next season or two, I should be able to fill out my roster. With $20M under the cap, I should be able to pick up one or two top players in each of the next two seasons before I need to resign all the restricted FAs I'll have. So, in 3 seasons I expect to know exactly where I am for the foreseeable future. Now we need to see how all these rookies develop...
Old 11-30-2009, 10:00 AM   #8
WheelsVT
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bako View Post
I have a feeling we in Dallas are going to regret letting RB Berkhofer go to Portland.....

In Chicago I was trying to get him and went up to 100mil to the limit of my available cap, but it wasn't enough. Perhaps it's for the best since I know I overbid a few players while trying to make sure I picked up passable players in almost every position for this first go at it with my new team. Now having that extra 30mil in cap room I can breath easier...
WheelsVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
QuikSand
lolzcat

I was in the running for Berkhofer also, and I think the market did what it should... it got me to bid right up to the point where I no longer felt I was getting much of any value if I landed him. So, it would have been nice to bring him aboard, but we'll gladly take that cap space next season and try to make good use of it (better than this year).
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
Sef0r
n00b

I have exactly enough money to sign 6 players to fill my minimum roster positions, after that I will have 0 left. I better try and go after some scrubs that no one will go after.
Sef0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #11
TheMeat
n00b

Kalu will be an interesting watch for sure, good luck on him Sub I think he'll go up a bit but how much is the question...

Groo, it sounds like you're putting in a lot of thought and planning, I'm sure you'll be dangerous in a couple seasons, this draft class sucked and next year should hopefully be a better market. I think if I had any advice for new teams it would be to spend luke a crazy person on skill positions and try to use that cap up, overspend now and reneg into more reasonable deals down the road.

Hopefully next year there's some WR's...
Owner/GM of the soon to be awesome Fort Worth Fury of the IHOF

TheMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #12
Sef0r
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMeat View Post
Hopefully next year there's some WR's...

Makes me thankful I landed 3 really good WRs in 2036 and the 1 big contracted WR (who looks like a star) in 2037.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #13
Groo
Mascot

Thanks Meat. My problem now is that I'm stuck for this initial 3 seasons, as all my cap money is invested in bonuses for the guys on my team. So, if they don't pan out I'll be basically giving it another try in 3 seasons.

Here's hoping for a great TC!!
Old 11-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #14
Bako
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groo View Post
Thanks Meat. My problem now is that I'm stuck for this initial 3 seasons, as all my cap money is invested in bonuses for the guys on my team. So, if they don't pan out I'll be basically giving it another try in 3 seasons.

Here's hoping for a great TC!!

If you do have to try again in 3 season, the good news is that is in 6 weeks
Old 11-30-2009, 07:49 PM   #15
chinaski
College Prospect

Glad to be back, wish I could have made more of a splash in FA though. Missed out on some db's and OL we really needed... not sure why I didnt throw more money out there, going into TC with 75 million to spare sucks!
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:34 AM   #16
Sef0r
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Glad to be back, wish I could have made more of a splash in FA though. Missed out on some db's and OL we really needed... not sure why I didnt throw more money out there, going into TC with 75 million to spare sucks!

Lots of good OL left you can sign to 1 year $10 mil deals, no way they turn those down and it doesn't hurt you next season if they retire.