Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Weekday League (FOWL)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

Does the "no tag" rule help this league at this point?

Since we can reneg all we want, seems to me the main effect of the "no tag" rule here is just with:

(1) guys who are pissed off over playing time or who otherwise won't reneg; and
(2) the guys who don't geta 3yr deal, who are instead signed for just 1yr

Is there anything else we are worried about with the use of the franchise tag? We have no 1yr-and-tag deals allowed for meaningful players, and that seems to have been the biggest problem with the franchise tag elsewhere.

Just an open thought for a league that arguably thrives on limiting its rules to the bare minimum.

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The common usage for me would be guys I give a big deal to, and am then up against the cap in their final year. I end up having to let these guys go to FA, where if I could tag them I'd use it to keep them and sign them to a long-term deal when I do have the cap. With bonus-heavy deals required to land these guys for the first contract, renegs aren't going to drop the cap impact much at all for that first contract, and often raise it that final year when you reneg.

So bringing it back would keep some of these players from making it to FA. Given the catfight over the rookies, I don't know if that truly matters or not.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
Tasan
College Starter

I think it does matter. We have some bidding wars over talented vets as well, and the fewer of those guys that hit the market the lower the competition overall.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:23 AM   #4
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I think I had that rule there originally to avoid the sign-and-tag, before the three-year rule. With the three-year rule, I'm not sure I see a need for this...
Old 12-09-2009, 05:34 AM   #5
Sef0r
n00b

I still like it, it forces owners to try and get a deal done to resign a RFA or try and extend a player going into FA. If you don't resign them or extend them, player should be a FA.
Sef0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:49 AM   #6
Bako
H.S. Freshman Team

I would like the rule to stay as is. Anything that forces us to compete for players in good IMO. I like to see talented players in FA.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:18 AM   #7
Subby
lolzcat

I like it mainly b/c QS keeps forgetting to extend his good players during their walk year.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 12-09-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
Groo
Mascot

Doesn't matter to me one way or the other. It's a level playing field either way.

My opinion isn't really based on anything, I just like the rule and would like it to stay. The only two scenarios I can see the tag being used are:

1) To keep an unhappy player.
2) To bypass the salary cap... a team that is over the cap can't resign the player, but they can Franchise him.

Both these are team management issues and GMs should have to deal with the consequences of their choices.
Groo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #9
TheMeat
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I like it mainly b/c QS keeps forgetting to extend his good players during their walk year.

+1!!

But honestly I do like it, I love the fact that this league forces owners to make real decisions about the cap. And like Bako said, anything that increases the players available in FA is good in my books.
Owner/GM of the soon to be awesome Fort Worth Fury of the IHOF

Last edited by TheMeat : 12-09-2009 at 04:05 PM.
TheMeat is offline   Reply With Quote