Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Weekday League (FOWL)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #51
TTWS
Mascot

I also think if most quit, me an THEMEAT could realign the divisions, and recruit at least 1 owner for each division which would be plenty of competition for me. I also think if 2 or 3 steps were removed to add extra days to the stages where extra time is needed to cover the important misses things could run smother.

Last edited by TTWS : 02-24-2010 at 02:48 PM.
TTWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #52
Subby
lolzcat

How about this wrinkle?

Each season, the following year's Super Bowl winner must take over the AI team with the least number of players.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:34 PM   #53
TTWS
Mascot

SUBBY thats quite the wringle. I've been dominated on annual basis by you to my total amazement over the past 15 seasons, and i've had fun losing. Playing against you alone has made playing FOWL a great time regardless of total ownership, so if this is at its end its been great playing against you SUBBY.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:48 PM   #54
Tasan
College Starter

I would be okay, I guess, with slowing down a little, I just don't want to see the single day season sim and the no-draft gone. I'd also be OK with restarting, or keeping 5 and rebuilding. I'm also down with changing teams if need be, to put a live player in an empty division.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #55
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

what is this league? looks interesting. Could someone send me a PM about it?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #56
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTWS View Post
SUBBY thats quite the wringle. I've been dominated on annual basis by you to my total amazement over the past 15 seasons, and i've had fun losing. Playing against you alone has made playing FOWL a great time regardless of total ownership, so if this is at its end its been great playing against you SUBBY.
Awesome.

I definitely enjoy our rivalry.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 02-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #57
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
I would be okay, I guess, with slowing down a little, I just don't want to see the single day season sim and the no-draft gone. I'd also be OK with restarting, or keeping 5 and rebuilding. I'm also down with changing teams if need be, to put a live player in an empty division.
I think the single day regular season and no draft are what make the league unique - I don't think it would be FOWL without those.

Let's accept we'll never have a ton of owners and force all humans into either the NFC or AFC. It would be much more competitive and we could just call the Conference Championship our SuperBowl. Playoff spots would also be much tougher to come by.

With this plan, we could get by easily with 16 owners.

Last edited by Subby : 02-24-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #58
Bako
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I think the single day regular season and no draft are what make the league unique - I don't think it would be FOWL without those.

Let's accept we'll never have a ton of owners and force all humans into either the NFC or AFC. It would be much more competitive and we could just call the Conference Championship our SuperBowl. Playoff spots would also be much tougher to come by.

With this plan, we could get by easily with 16 owners.

This idea may be the ticket.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #59
Tasan
College Starter

I think Subby's idea is real good. Anyone else agree?
Old 02-25-2010, 01:16 AM   #60
Sef0r
n00b

I still think we can get more owners and it will involve a "FOWL 101" thread where we can discribe the league, the rules and some tips on Free Agency bidding. How they can use the "current ..." rating trick for some who may not know it, etc.

Similar to how I did my FOWL diary but more compact and to the point.

I still think it is important that the FA2:1 stage starts on a Monday. We should look at delaying the start of the 2045 season to maybe Wednesday and just run the 2 weeks from there so that it always starts on Wednesday and ends on Tuesday.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:56 AM   #61
Sef0r
n00b

Ben.

Would it be too much to remove the game scores in the team pages?
This will make it easier for those wanting to go through each gamelog (or just view the box score for each game) without knowing the outcome.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:32 AM   #62
TheMeat
n00b

So I think what we're hearing here is that the major factor is the speed of the league and people just not having time to export daily and if they miss an important stage their enjoyment falls off. I think that is a simple, unavoidable fact of this format. As much as people love to draft I see a handful of people here not only willing to forgo the draft, but that actually like that part of this league immensely.

So, like Subbers said, we accept the fact this league is never going to be too full and try to arrange things to be more fun around that fact. I like the idea of realignment to cure that. Putting all the teams on one side maybe, or making the conferences symmetrical but make sure the human owned teams are grouped into divisions... Like if we only have 8 owners, put 2 in each of 4 divisions. Maybe if we only had 8 it'd be better to have all 4 of those divisions in one conference, but if we had 16 teams it'd be great to have two teams in each division, that'd be my personal favorite setup.

The trick would be to get 16 teams, maybe 12 active owners is a little more realistic. We could put 3 owners each into two AFC and two NFC divisions.

Adjusting the schedule is another key, to make sure people have a weekend for rookie offers may solve a LOT of problems. Maybe skipping franchise and summer league so we can have an extra day off before the season would solve some more.

Good luck in the season everyone
Owner/GM of the soon to be awesome Fort Worth Fury of the IHOF

TheMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:05 AM   #63
Subby
lolzcat

I like putting everyone into one conference because then making the playoffs actually becomes an achievement rather than the given that it often seems to be right now.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #64
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sef0r View Post
I still think we can get more owners and it will involve a "FOWL 101" thread where we can discribe the league, the rules and some tips on Free Agency bidding. How they can use the "current ..." rating trick for some who may not know it, etc.
Sure, but right now we have 10. How many more can we get, realistically?

If we aim for 6 new owners and then realign to the NFC (or AFC) then I think we have a good starting point.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #65
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Do we lose the people who are attached to their teams by putting everyone in one conference?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:09 AM   #66
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I am fine with switching my team. Heck, there are three humans in my division, including Ben. I'll take Tampa Bay! Oh, wait, crap...

But yeah, I'll go anywhere, even if it means giving up on all the young guys that are loading this team. If we move to the AFC, I claim New England.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #67
TTWS
Mascot

If the format stays the same with a slight schedule tweak it'll soften the blow. My freind is pretty serious about joining, hes just waiting to see how things shake down. With him joining that would leave us 1 team shy of 3 in each division in 1 conference. leaving us 1 owner short of a really good mix, but i'd allmost go for anything that keeps the fast paced no draft formula together.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #68
wade moore
lolzcat

I would be reluctant to change teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #69
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Wish there was an easy way within FOF to realign the divisions. We could move existing teams to the correct conference.

No, it's not easy to do even with a utility, because FOF has some hardcoded schedule stuff that burned me when I messed with this for WOOF. We have access to this data and can change it and it looks like it will work, and then FOF screws up the schedules because it has some hardcoded "team 14 plays team 18" bits that assumes teams remain in the same hardcoded divisions.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #70
Sef0r
n00b

Sorry, I am also reluctant to switch teams. The suggestion Subby made about the SB winner taking over a weak team doesn't work for me because you get so attached to a team, well mostly your players.

I still stick by the following:

1 - redo schedule to have FA2:1 start on Mondays.
2 - Reboot the league, specify a date for this (maybe 2 seasons away?) and get the word out.
3 - keep everything else the way it is.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #71
wade moore
lolzcat

Funny enough - the Subby idea of SB winner swapping, doesn't bother me - but just a straight-up realignment of teams does. I guess because that feels like a mode to level the playing field, realignment is just realignment.

FWIW - I don't like the idea of mucking with the schedule. I'm not sure why Sefor is so adamant about it. IMO, the nice, neat two-week flow is ideal. You have an entire weekend to do your FA2:3-5 export (the most important one) and a reasonable amount of time (48 hours) to review the draft class and submit for FA2:1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #72
Sef0r
n00b

All things considered you make a good point wade, FA2:3-5 is the most important stage. It gave me the weekend to see that I really didn't have much competition to get the WR and CBs I got so I signed them cheap, compared to what they would normally get on the market.

Forget what I said about the schedule change then. Thanks for putting me straight wade.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #73
Subby
lolzcat

Since wade doesn't want to give up his juggernaut, I will switch to the AFC.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:24 PM   #74
TheMeat
n00b

Even though I quite like my stealers, I would switch if necessary, although I think concentrating teams into just one or two divisions on each side might be the best plan. Bako just got moved and I think it'd be quite the loss for him to take another team. And SFO is in the midst of a move to Las Vegas I believe. I think if we had 3 teams each in two AFC and two NFC divs it'd provide quite a bit of competition, not everyone would make the playoffs but it wouldn't be impossible for a newer player to compete either. If we have 8 or 12 teams all on one side then I think it'd turn into the same 6 guys making it every year anyways. To me, the enjoyment of the game doesn't come from it being super competitive, I enjoy the immersion of being in a football univers where I get to make my own stories and legacies. Competition is necessary to give it some substance or I'd just play SP but I don't get my kicks out of "beating" other players and the playoffs/bowl wins are just icing on the cake, player careers and regular season success are what make it fun for me.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #75
TheMeat
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I like putting everyone into one conference because then making the playoffs actually becomes an achievement rather than the given that it often seems to be right now.

Says the guy who missed the playoffs

Haha, sorry Sub, just was reading through the thread and had to take a poke at you I took my lumps too this postseason, lost to the lowly Broncs

Old 02-26-2010, 08:19 PM   #76
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMeat View Post
I think if we had 3 teams each in two AFC and two NFC divs it'd provide quite a bit of competition, not everyone would make the playoffs but it wouldn't be impossible for a newer player to compete either.

Welcome to the NFC South, where all three of us DID manage to make the playoffs
Old 03-05-2010, 06:46 AM   #77
Groo
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
So... it taking 2 real life months to go 14-2 is a big deal?

Not what my analysis would have been.

Yes, that's exactly my problem. This is, for all intents and purposes, my very first league. If I can go 14-2 so quickly, that means there really is no challenge. I understand that a couple of guys in this league like having very few people, because they want it easy and don't want the challenge. But, if you want a CHALLENGING league, then you need more than 10 people in this system to make it challenging. I mean, seriously, you know that there are easily enough VERY GOOD players to fill 10 teams. And with 0 injuries, you only need starters and there is no real challenge in putting a team together that can compete.

Now, if you want a challenge... try having 32 players battling it out in FA2 for those 50-60 worthwhile players every season, rather than having 10 teams each getting 5-6 new players that are going to have good careers.

Again, this was my first MP league, and I went 14-2 in my 4th season. If I can do any, any two bit moron can do it. There is no challenge with so few players.

Finally, I think the reason this league exists is because of it's uniqueness and the challenges it presents. I think the biggest problem with the league at this time is that there is no challenge to it, only uniqueness.
NAFL - Tennessee Titans
Groo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #78
Bako
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groo View Post
Yes, that's exactly my problem. This is, for all intents and purposes, my very first league. If I can go 14-2 so quickly, that means there really is no challenge. I understand that a couple of guys in this league like having very few people, because they want it easy and don't want the challenge. But, if you want a CHALLENGING league, then you need more than 10 people in this system to make it challenging. I mean, seriously, you know that there are easily enough VERY GOOD players to fill 10 teams. And with 0 injuries, you only need starters and there is no real challenge in putting a team together that can compete.

Now, if you want a challenge... try having 32 players battling it out in FA2 for those 50-60 worthwhile players every season, rather than having 10 teams each getting 5-6 new players that are going to have good careers.

Again, this was my first MP league, and I went 14-2 in my 4th season. If I can do any, any two bit moron can do it. There is no challenge with so few players.

Finally, I think the reason this league exists is because of it's uniqueness and the challenges it presents. I think the biggest problem with the league at this time is that there is no challenge to it, only uniqueness.

So if there was no challenge for you here, how many playoff games and championships did you win while here? I can answer for you........none.

Yeah it may be easy to go 14-2 in a computer controlled division, trust me I know. But is the goal to go 14-2 in the regular season only to lose your first playoff game? How can the playoffs not be a challenge when Meat bounced you out of the playoffs each year you made it in?

Join the AC North or the NC South. Can you imagine having to play Ben, Greg, and Tasan twice a season? Its a dog fight every season.

I understand the regular season is easy when you are in a computer controlled division, so join a different division. Take over a team in the NC West with Subby and TTWS and lets see if it is hard to make the playoffs.

That is your challenge.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #79
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMeat View Post
Says the guy who missed the playoffs

Haha, sorry Sub, just was reading through the thread and had to take a poke at you I took my lumps too this postseason, lost to the lowly Broncs
First time in about 159 seasons.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:05 AM   #80
TheMeat
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bako View Post
So if there was no challenge for you here, how many playoff games and championships did you win while here? I can answer for you........none.

Yeah it may be easy to go 14-2 in a computer controlled division, trust me I know. But is the goal to go 14-2 in the regular season only to lose your first playoff game? How can the playoffs not be a challenge when Meat bounced you out of the playoffs each year you made it in?

Join the AC North or the NC South. Can you imagine having to play Ben, Greg, and Tasan twice a season? Its a dog fight every season.

I understand the regular season is easy when you are in a computer controlled division, so join a different division. Take over a team in the NC West with Subby and TTWS and lets see if it is hard to make the playoffs.

That is your challenge.

Bam. I think it's a good point tho, if you seek some kind of challenge here, seek it out. I admit I'm a total stats whore so that's what I challenge myself with. Getting the best stats. A championship or three doesn't hurt but if you want a tough battle every year go for it.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #81
Sef0r
n00b

I am going to have to edit that recruiting thread in the MP forums. Maybe talk about the owners we do have. I'm sure people will join knowing some people already here.

I will ask Tasan if he can edit the open teams thread to show the owners names next to their respective teams.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #82
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sef0r View Post
I am going to have to edit that recruiting thread in the MP forums. Maybe talk about the owners we do have. I'm sure people will join knowing some people already here.

I will ask Tasan if he can edit the open teams thread to show the owners names next to their respective teams.

Can do, if I can get everything nailed down right. I lost some up to date records when my laptop died. I had backups, but not as fresh as I would have liked.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:55 AM   #83
Sef0r
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Can do, if I can get everything nailed down right. I lost some up to date records when my laptop died. I had backups, but not as fresh as I would have liked.

Cool, just might make it more appealing to some potential owners out there.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #84
iBomb1st
n00b

I remember when I joined FOWL in I believe... 2016? That was before the sim a season at once schedule or the lack of draft. I was fine when Ben moved to the fast paced schedule, but I quit after the draft was dismantled several seasons later. That seems to be the minority opinion now though as the league's majority of owners appear to enjoy the idea of no draft. I just think the draft is a perfect compliment to the rigors of FA, and the chat room a great venue to mingle with other owners and make deals. But anyways, I remember when FOWL was unique in a different way.
A) Daily sims M-F
B) Innovative house rules intended to make the game more challenging
C) Ben's awesome presentation
D) Elite Competition

I would love to see a FOFC league with a draft and some innovative new house rules (I love the draft but hate tanking, maybe a draft lottery?) This is the home of the greatest FOF community in the world! Shouldn't it be the home of the best league?

GO CHIEFS!
iBomb1st is offline   Reply With Quote