Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #301
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
The difference is, you need a car, you don't 'need' Netflix or DVDs, but, I do understand what you're saying. Again, I have no need for those kinds of services. I don't really think that having streamed based software, books and movies is going to cut down on the stuff. It's going to create different stuff that needs to access them. Dummy terminals, Kindles, iPhones, etc? If the day comes and all that exists is media/software that can only be streamed, so be it and I'll switch over. Until then, I choose tangible items. No biggie.

You didn't really just argue that streaming and cloud access is not going to reduce the amount of stuff, did you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #302
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
They are pushing people away from DVD.

Actually they aren't they are rededicating their efforts toward the DVD line.

From Hacking Netflix

Quote:
Netflix recently announced a new focus on the DVD side of the business, and they've formed a new business unit around DVD:
Reflecting our confidence that DVDs by mail is a long-term business for us, we are also establishing a separate and distinct management team solely focused on DVDs by mail, led by Andy Rendich, our Chief Service and Operations Officer and an 11 year veteran of Netflix.

As our management likes to tell us "You just don't have the big picture on this."

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #303
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
You didn't really just argue that streaming and cloud access is not going to reduce the amount of stuff, did you?

I said that it is going to create different stuff.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #304
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I think the last tv show I bought was a season of Futurama and that was a couple of years ago. I may get the Walking Dead season though now that you mention it.

It was super cheap, but you know what, I've yet to open it...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #305
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I have a small DVD collection and the most I have watched anything is Freaks and Geeks all the way through and then some repeats with my roommate. I see next to zero reason to actually own a DVD these days.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #306
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I think I'm a different type of movie watcher than some of you.

Of the things I bought and own, I've probably watched the Wire completely through all seasons at least 10 times. I've watched Lost all the way through 4 or 5 times. I've watched some movies like The Natural at least 100 times. I've probably watched all three Lord of the Ring movies at last 50-60 times.

I absolutely buy the movies or tv shows that I absolutely love, and now that I own them, I watch them on my ipad, iphone, computer, television, whatever I want, anywhere I want, any time I want and I feel that I've gotten more than my money out of them.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #307
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
It was super cheap, but you know what, I've yet to open it...

Nice.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 07-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #308
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

From Hacking Netflix

As our management likes to tell us "You just don't have the big picture on this."

ah, so they are moving towards selling that side off!
Old 07-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #309
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I can't get enough of the streaming option. I watch documentaries and TV shows nearly every night. They could charge $25/month and I'd still feel like I'm getting my money's worth. The fact that I don't get to go to the movies given that I have small kids only increases the value. I watch 'blockbusters' from 5-10 years ago that I never got to watch. Great stuff.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #310
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
There's going to be a lot more changes and all this stuff is going to get more expensive. I just read this tidbit:

Overall, Pachter predicts Netflix's streaming content licensing costs will rise from $180 million in 2010 to a whopping $1.98 billion in 2012.

Netflix renews contract for NBCUniversal movies and TV shows - Jul. 13, 2011

I think it's a bit much to expect them to just "stream everything" for the same cost or a slight price increase. (I think that also might shut down the internet). The studios have just gotten a ton more aggressive with this stuff. I would assume we'll see redbox increase prices a bit soon as well (they're already testing $1.15, $1.50, up to $2.00 in some markets).

The first month rental of certain movies through Blockbuster's Box thingy is 2.99/day, dropping to .99 eventually. I'd hate to see redbox go up in price, but I bet it happens soon.

As far as Netflix streaming goes, I expect it to cost at least 30/month within the next couple years, if licensing actually increases as projected. It's in the best interest for Time Warner/Comcast/etc to kill them off as the streaming is a significant part of their network traffic. And the cable companies aren't making a dime off of it, AFAIK.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #311
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I think I'm a different type of movie watcher than some of you.

Of the things I bought and own, I've probably watched the Wire completely through all seasons at least 10 times. I've watched Lost all the way through 4 or 5 times. I've watched some movies like The Natural at least 100 times. I've probably watched all three Lord of the Ring movies at last 50-60 times.

I absolutely buy the movies or tv shows that I absolutely love, and now that I own them, I watch them on my ipad, iphone, computer, television, whatever I want, anywhere I want, any time I want and I feel that I've gotten more than my money out of them.

This.

Streaming/On Demand/Netflix is great, but there are times when I just want to watch my favorite movie or TV Show, I don't want to wait 1-2 days, and it isn't available On Demand or Streaming.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #312
RainMaker
General Manager

A lot of people questioning why they would want to hand business to RedBox. I think the problem is those who were on a DVD plan but didn't use the streaming.

Many of the deals Netflix has setup is based on subscribers. I believe they hit a large threshold with one a few weeks back that caused a deal to expire. So this would allow them to eliminate those who don't use streaming off that plan to keep the costs lower.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #313
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

We're only streaming through Netflix. If we rent a movie we go through vudu (watch it through the PS3) or Amazon (watch it through The Roku), but we don't rent very often.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #314
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

dola,

Oh, The Twilight Zone is streaming through Netflix! So stoked! I have the series on DVD but I'm just too darn lazy to grab the DVD and stick it in the PS3, hahaha.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 07-13-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #315
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Got through all of the episodes of Arrested Development. I see why it didn't last, but it still was funny as hell.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #316
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

New Netflix, NBCUniversal deal announced; extra $6 a month buys some old eps of The Event -- Engadget

Looks like Netflix isn't just sitting there and only price hiking.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:19 AM   #317
RainMaker
General Manager

In Defense Of Netflix: This Week In F--K You | Kissing Suzy Kolber
Old 07-14-2011, 01:48 AM   #318
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just hung up with Netflix telephone customer service, couple of interesting things from that conversation.

1) My simultaneously streams allowed is currently 3 ... not 2 as I believed & as their website clearly indicates. The c.s. rep was kind of shaky about the timing of the change as well as the reasoning (mumbled something about "+1 in case you accidentally go over") but I was told very clearly that the new rule is "1 more than however many your DVD-at-a-time plan is".

What that means, for me, is that I can drop back to the 1 DVD plan, still get 2 simultaneously streams and end up paying pretty much what I was willing to pay when I upgraded last weekend. All I'm losing in that deal is the ability to have a 2nd DVD out and that really wasn't a factor in my upgrade decision anyway. It was all about the 2nd stream, which apparently I now have, even though there was nothing to tell me that short of the phone call I just made.

2) As I saw mentioned on a msg board (and didn't believe for one instant), the device cap for streaming has been raised to 50. The website still says 5 but apparently the change was made several weeks ago, although not sure how many people knew about it.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-14-2011 at 01:48 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:00 AM   #319
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm curious, is the streaming cap per IP or just per account.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:02 AM   #320
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'm curious, is the streaming cap per IP or just per account.

Since it was tied (both previously & in the conversation) to "the number of DVD's on your plan" I'd think it's per account.

edit to add: Kind of makes sense in a way, if you have a 0 DVD plan, you still have 1 stream allowed (if you have a paid plan at all). So each DVD seems to be adding one additional simultaneous stream to that starting number. Frankly I've got my doubts about how long that holds up after September, since the DVD-only version would still be allowed one stream in that scenario, and that's not how I understand this is supposed to be working.

But to be clear, this phone call was definitely an increase of one simultaneous stream vs what I had when I upgraded on Saturday (even got an email at the time clearly stating that I was upgraded to have two simul. streams)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-14-2011 at 02:05 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:24 AM   #321
RainMaker
General Manager

I just wonder because couldn't you share a plan with someone else. I use the DVD and streaming and will keep that. But couldn't I let someone else use my plan also to stream from their home?
Old 07-14-2011, 06:35 AM   #322
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
I just wonder because couldn't you share a plan with someone else. I use the DVD and streaming and will keep that. But couldn't I let someone else use my plan also to stream from their home?

For now...there are states passing laws to make it a crime though.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:42 AM   #323
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

wait, why would the # of streams have anything to do with your DVD plan, since those are now going to be separate?
Old 07-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #324
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

From Hacking Netflix

Well if that's their plan, they are failing miserably. I decided last night that at the end of the summer I'm going streaming only because of this change.

Quote:
I said that it is going to create different stuff.

:shakeshead:

So you trade one set-top device for say 100 DVDs? Okeedoke.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 07-14-2011, 07:34 AM   #325
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

So what you're saying is that while price-hiking they are keeping the content that's already there rather than reducing content as I should expect.

Got it.

Quote:
Old 07-14-2011, 07:56 AM   #326
molson
General Manager

Quote:
So what you're saying is that while price-hiking they are keeping the content that's already there rather than reducing content as I should expect.

Got it.

Yes, because that same content that cost them $22 million in the 2010 contract has now jumped to $300 million a year in the new one. (that article also cites the $2 billion number for annual streaming costs per year going forward.)

Netflix and NBC Universal renew streaming options, recent SNL episodes nixed

I'm still kind of amused by all the RAGE over this all over the internet - cancel if you want but don't take it personally. Shit's getting expensive.

Last edited by molson : 07-14-2011 at 07:59 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #327
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Yes, because that same content that cost them $22 million in the 2010 contract has now jumped to $300 million a year in the new one. (that article also cites the $2 billion number for annual streaming costs per year going forward.)

Netflix and NBC Universal renew streaming options, recent SNL episodes nixed

I'm still kind of amused by all the RAGE over this all over the internet - cancel if you want but don't take it personally. Shit's getting expensive.

Maybe it's not Netflix's fault, but in the end, they will pay the price. Here's the thing. They're not upping the price of streaming. That's what, for me, is causing the outrage. They are directly punishing those that want to use both features that they offer. Just DVDs is not going up in price. Just streaming is not going up in price. Using BOTH is.

So, I won't use both. Enjoy losing $8/mth from me that was probably costing you something like $.50/mth.

Quote:
Old 07-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #328
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Maybe it's not Netflix's fault, but in the end, they will pay the price. Here's the thing. They're not upping the price of streaming. That's what, for me, is causing the outrage. They are directly punishing those that want to use both features that they offer. Just DVDs is not going up in price. Just streaming is not going up in price. Using BOTH is.

So, I won't use both. Enjoy losing $8/mth from me that was probably costing you something like $.50/mth.

I don't think they can survive using the old model and and they might not anyway. I wonder if would be better for them to call the studios' bluff and just focus exclusively on the cheaper, older stuff for streaming. People who are interested in streaming of new releases are likely the people who are "angry" at the lack of selection, and who are probably going to end up leaving them now anyway. So I'm not sure that stuff is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Lower the streaming expectations and let people know exactly what they're going to get, instead of just having seemingly random stuff scattered across years and genres and studios ("Netflix, rent any DVD ever made and stream thousands of classic titles and documentaries"). Hollywood may come around if Netflix gets out of the insane streaming game for new movies at the current costs. If they don't, before long, the only way to watch new stuff streaming is going to be to pay for a premium cable channel (or really, get ALL of them if you want to see as much as Netflix streams now) or pay $7 per viewing through your satellite/cable company. I think Netflix is one of the great entertainment products/values of all time and a lot of people are really going to miss it if the studios win this.

Last edited by molson : 07-14-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #329
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I don't think they can survive using the old model and and they might not anyway. I wonder if would be better for them to call the studios' bluff and just focus exclusively on the cheaper, older stuff for streaming. People who are interested in streaming of new releases are likely the people who are "angry" at the lack of selection, and who are probably going to end up leaving them now anyway. So I'm not sure that stuff is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Lower the streaming expectations and let people know exactly what they're going to get, instead of just having seemingly random stuff scattered across years and genres and studios ("Netflix, rent any DVD ever made and stream thousands of classic titles and documentaries"). Hollywood may come around if Netflix gets out of the insane streaming game for new movies at the current costs. If they don't, before long, the only way to watch new stuff streaming is going to be to pay for a premium cable channel (or really, get ALL of them if you want to see as much as Netflix streams now) or pay $7 per viewing through your satellite/cable company. I think Netflix is one of the great entertainment products/values of all time and a lot of people are really going to miss it if the studios win this.

I do agree that the studios are likely going to kill this.

The thing is though, the studios are being much like the record labels when mp3 started getting popular. They're not recognizing that this is the future, or, more specifically, they're overestimating what kind of money they can get out of it.

We'll see how it plays out. I think the streaming itself is unique enough and valuable enough that I'm keeping that, but they've priced the DVDs out of my home.

Quote:
Old 07-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #330
Autumn
Head Coach

Netflix has always been clear that their goal is to get rid of the DVDs entirely, they're trying to work toward a time where everything is streamed. So clearly they're going to have price models that encourage streaming, no surprise there.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:04 AM   #331
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Netflix has always been clear that their goal is to get rid of the DVDs entirely, they're trying to work toward a time where everything is streamed.

That was when their biggest problem was postal rates - I really think the cost of content increasing 10X or more has changed the future and their goals (and fears, really)

I mean, if they went to streaming only, the studios would OWN their future - they could charge anything they want. I think already, the studios have taken full advantage of Netflix's (I think former) stated goal.

Last edited by molson : 07-14-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:12 AM   #332
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
And the cable companies aren't making a dime off of it, AFAIK.

My cable co (Time Warner) is making $78/month off of it.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #333
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Well if that's their plan, they are failing miserably. I decided last night that at the end of the summer I'm going streaming only because of this change.

:shakeshead:

So you trade one set-top device for say 100 DVDs? Okeedoke.

I like having DVDs. I have zero, non, no, nada, zip, interest in only getting my movies via streaming. None. I have no problems with people that do or their decision to do so. Why collect baseball cards when you can see them all on the internet? It's the tangible and collecting aspect, that is part of it for me.

If I had a huge house, I'd probably buy something like the Apple TV, rip all my DVDs and stream them through there. I'd still want my hard copies regardless.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #334
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If I had a huge house, I'd probably buy something like the Apple TV, rip all my DVDs and stream them through there. I'd still want my hard copies regardless.

I don't have a huge house, but I do something similar to this. I started it when the kids disney movies would get mis-handled and ruined years ago (I've bought two or three copies of the original Shrek for instance). Now the convenience of it works out well for me. So I get the best of both worlds so to speak.

I get to "collect" or at least purchase the movies I love enough to watch many times, but I get all of the conveniences of streaming and even more convenience since I have more/better options to stream my personal movie collection than any of the individual streaming services (netflix/amazon/itunes/etc) offer singularly without paying more and combining a bunch of their features.

Basically when I buy a movie, I then back it up to my home NAS and then box the movie up to not be handled any more. From then on, I can stream from the NAS to any computer in my house, any of my in-house devices connected to every single tv, to the ipads or iphones on my home wi-fi, or I can stream them over AT&T cellular network to phones if I am away from home via slingbox. I also can easily put any of them locally on a computer, iphone or ipad for times when I am on an airplane and can't use cellular, or somewhere out of cellular service.

I'm very happy with the setup and even though I don't buy anywhere nearly as many movies as I used to, I've easily gotten my money's worth from it.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:11 PM   #335
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I don't have a huge house, but I do something similar to this. I started it when the kids disney movies would get mis-handled and ruined years ago (I've bought two or three copies of the original Shrek for instance). Now the convenience of it works out well for me. So I get the best of both worlds so to speak.

I get to "collect" or at least purchase the movies I love enough to watch many times, but I get all of the conveniences of streaming and even more convenience since I have more/better options to stream my personal movie collection than any of the individual streaming services (netflix/amazon/itunes/etc) offer singularly without paying more and combining a bunch of their features.

Basically when I buy a movie, I then back it up to my home NAS and then box the movie up to not be handled any more. From then on, I can stream from the NAS to any computer in my house, any of my in-house devices connected to every single tv, to the ipads or iphones on my home wi-fi, or I can stream them over AT&T cellular network to phones if I am away from home via slingbox. I also can easily put any of them locally on a computer, iphone or ipad for times when I am on an airplane and can't use cellular, or somewhere out of cellular service.

I'm very happy with the setup and even though I don't buy anywhere nearly as many movies as I used to, I've easily gotten my money's worth from it.

That sounds like a pretty good set up and the wear and tear from little hands is next to zero now. I think that would be a system that I would be more in line with and I see that Apple TV offers live sports now, (depending on the price) I may start to move more towards the setup you have sometime in the near future, but, Netflix doesn't offer me & my viewing needs, any benefits at the moment that I can tell. It may in the future, but right now it doesn't.

Yup, you get to collect the ones that you watch a lot or more frequently than others. Heck, I'll be buying the Blu Ray Star Wars collection when it comes out in September, despite my adversity to paying more for Blu Ray discs.

At the airport and on an airplane are the only two times that I can think of that I'll want to watch a tv show or movie when not at home. Right now, I either buy it from iTunes and put it on my phone or rip it and put it on my phone that way.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #336
Subby
lolzcat

If people like DVDs for the "collector" aspect, that's one thing. Albums, LaserDiscs, etc...people still collect those too. It doesn't mean that is where the future is. The future is in persistent availability regardless of location.

My cloud will have all of the films, music, television shows, and other media I either own or license and I will be able to access them anywhere I want on a multitude of devices.

Within three years Netflix will spin off or sell their DVD-by-mail business because physical media is going away. That is, unless you think Borders, Blockbuster and Tower Records are all a coincidence.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 07-14-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #337
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I like having DVDs. I have zero, non, no, nada, zip, interest in only getting my movies via streaming. None. I have no problems with people that do or their decision to do so. Why collect baseball cards when you can see them all on the internet? It's the tangible and collecting aspect, that is part of it for me.

I used to be like this. Now I spend most of my time using Steam and Netflix streaming. Don't miss the hard copies one bit.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #338
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
That sounds like a pretty good set up and the wear and tear from little hands is next to zero now. I think that would be a system that I would be more in line with and I see that Apple TV offers live sports now, (depending on the price) I may start to move more towards the setup you have sometime in the near future, but, Netflix doesn't offer me & my viewing needs, any benefits at the moment that I can tell. It may in the future, but right now it doesn't.

Yup, you get to collect the ones that you watch a lot or more frequently than others. Heck, I'll be buying the Blu Ray Star Wars collection when it comes out in September, despite my adversity to paying more for Blu Ray discs.

At the airport and on an airplane are the only two times that I can think of that I'll want to watch a tv show or movie when not at home. Right now, I either buy it from iTunes and put it on my phone or rip it and put it on my phone that way.
I have a system much like Alan, in fact Alan and I have talked about our setups a number of times. I have all my movies, music, TV shows backed up on my NAS and I have an old hacked Xbox with XBMC as well as a Boxee Box, PS3, and Xbox 360, I can pretty much play everything I have anywhere in the house, and then some.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #339
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
My cloud will have all of the films, music, television shows, and other media I either own or license and I will be able to access them anywhere I want on a multitude of devices.

Within three years Netflix will spin off or sell their DVD-by-mail business because physical media is going away. That is, unless you think Borders, Blockbuster and Tower Records are all a coincidence.

It's still a pretty small % of the population that has clouds and a "multitude of devices" - last I read only 60% of households have high speed internet at all. It's hard to see that number shooting up too fast with that stuff costing more and people having less money. Redbox has tapped into that forgotten market and shown that physical media still has legs.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:55 PM   #340
Subby
lolzcat

Trends are trends. This is the way we are moving.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #341
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I used to be like this. Now I spend most of my time using Steam and Netflix streaming. Don't miss the hard copies one bit.

Right on. I'm a fan of whatever works best for your situation. If and when they stop making DVDs/Blu Rays, then I'll make the switch too. Or if there's a device that is just so kick ass, how can one resist, I'll make the switch as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion
I have a system much like Alan, in fact Alan and I have talked about our setups a number of times. I have all my movies, music, TV shows backed up on my NAS and I have an old hacked Xbox with XBMC as well as a Boxee Box, PS3, and Xbox 360, I can pretty much play everything I have anywhere in the house, and then some.

Oh cool. One of these days I would like to set up a media server in my place. For now, I'm happy playing them on my Xbox or PS3. I don't listen to much music at all, so I don't feel that I'm missing much in that department. I have a friend in San Diego, who has a brother that has a business that builds and installs high end entertainment systems. All I can say is, Wow!

Old 07-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #342
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Netflix does not want DVD to go away, because Netflix wants to dominate streaming as much as possible.

As streaming becomes more commonplace, the problem with streaming becomes more obvious: the more people have seen a certain stream, the more the content provider can claim to be owed. This is the reason Netflix is going to get screwed in the next round of content negotiation: the studios can claim as much value for the most recent viewing as the first viewing. The upshot of this is that increases in rights fees get passed along to the customer.

This is a problem that physical media can mitigate. The DVD business, on the other hand, works in two different models. The standard model is a straight purchase of DVDs. They pay their 13 bucks, or whatever the wholesale cost is, and they can ship that puppy out to as many people they can until it gets worn out or stolen. The Rentrak model is essentially a revenue sharing model where the studios get a cut of every rental for a cheaper buy-in on the retailer's part, but (and this is key) that period ends, after which the retailer can buy the used copy cheap, or return it as part of the lease. In both of these models, unlike the streaming model, the studio's claim on rental revenue ends fairly quickly. Backend profit on physical media will turn out to be much higher than the continuous drain the studios would like to see on streaming media.

The kicker is that as long as the physical media model is alive and well for Netflix, it can use the cheap prices of physical media as leverage against the degree of escalation in streaming rights fees. In addition, the price of physical media is unlikely to rise much, making it much easier to hold the line on subscriber prices. Meanwhile, it wouldn't be shocking to see the prices for a monthly Netflix subscription settle in the $35 per month range three years or so down the line, if they keep a strong content lineup. That could lead to two developments: the restriction of accounts to "boutique" videophiles that see the service as offering as much utility as cable, and the introduction of a la carte pricing per viewing, the way most competitors are set up.

In the long run, combined Netflix service is going to rise. Markedly. Likely to $40 to $50 a month. However, by unbundling services now, Netflix can keep the DVD customers happy while it figures out how bad they're going to have to raise the ultimate level of streaming prices.

Oh, and on the physical side, I'd expect a single price increase in about six months time of about $2, and getting rid of additional charges for Blu-Ray.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #343
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

For kicks and giggles I stopped by a Redbox today and looked at their selection. Yeah, I'm not using that as a way to watch movies.

Last edited by Matthean : 07-14-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #344
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
A lot of people questioning why they would want to hand business to RedBox. I think the problem is those who were on a DVD plan but didn't use the streaming.

Many of the deals Netflix has setup is based on subscribers. I believe they hit a large threshold with one a few weeks back that caused a deal to expire. So this would allow them to eliminate those who don't use streaming off that plan to keep the costs lower.

Sounds like the studios are the ones who are driving the price-hike.

Studios are starting to play hardball with Netflix - Jul. 11, 2011
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #345
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Eh, if they kill off streaming or make it too expensive, I'll just watch less stuff. Keep buying the occasional Blu-Ray, and play more video games. I already watch less after dumping cable, I've got better things to spend my money on.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #346
tarcone
Coordinator

The Fighter.

This was a great movie. I really enjoyed it and will watch it again.

I am going to the streaming only option. When I get a DVD it sits by the TV for a couple weeks. I may or may not watch it. Then I return. Watched or unwatched.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #347
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I just noticed in my recommendations section that it has Ken Burn's Baseball. That's awesome. I wonder how long it's been available.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:42 PM   #348
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Sounds like the studios are the ones who are driving the price-hike.

Studios are starting to play hardball with Netflix - Jul. 11, 2011
Yeah, but it has to do with the cap studios put on them. If users aren't going to be using the streaming option, they are better off having them on the DVD-only plan and not counting toward the caps studios have in the contracts.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:58 PM   #349
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I just noticed in my recommendations section that it has Ken Burn's Baseball. That's awesome. I wonder how long it's been available.

I'd say six months at least. It showed up on instant watcher as expiring in April, but was renewed the next day.

I'm bummed that Babylon 5 just dropped off and became unavailable for streaming.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #350
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post

Couple months I think. I remember seeing it around the time summer started.