Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #801
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Somebody in the comments brought up the issue of him maybe being a pathological liar. I could see that as being the case. People will deny like crazy of being a pedophile anyway, but a pathological liar will even more so get away with it.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:19 PM   #802
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Losing my respect for NBC by the minute. Unless they absolutely tear him a new one as part of airing this interview.

Look, NBC is doing something every other network would do if they had the chance. They can ask him all the tough questions they want, but he can answer them anyway he chooses. He'll get his day in court and if the prosecution can back up the evidence that was in the grand jury indictment, you won't have to worry about him giving interviews for quite awhile.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #803
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Ben, if you addressed this earlier, and if so, sorry, but I am curious as someone who worked in a youth organization forever, did something crazy like this ever happen? Not to this level, but some guy trying to infiltrate a youth organization for personal benefit? I'll hang up and listen.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #804
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Uh, Jerry, that's not a leg. This will be a classic case of admitting to everything except the money shot.

"Listen Bob, if I'm guilty of anything, it's sexually abusing 8 children."
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #805
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
He didn't give a 100% denial. He admitted:

Quote:
"I have horsed around with kids. I have showered after workouts. I have hugged them and I have touched their legs without intent of sexual contact."

He didn't have the intent, it just by chance ended up happening.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #806
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

He was definitely heavily coached. The state has to prove intent for sexual gratification (not necessarily "getting off", just more general sexual-themed gratification). It's not a crime to touch a kid's leg, or even shower with him, without that intent (though in our society, a jury is going to infer that intent with the showering most times, I would think, but you'd still need some evidence of it)

Edit: I should add, the state only needs to prove sexual intent for the the touching charges. Obviously, for rape, you only have to show intent for the rape.

Last edited by molson : 11-14-2011 at 07:59 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #807
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Wow, going on the PR offensive with "I showered with them and touched them, but didn't have sex..." is pretty fucking insane.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #808
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Something tells me McQueary didn't see something disturbing when Sandusky was merely bumping into a kid.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #809
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Ben, if you addressed this earlier, and if so, sorry, but I am curious as someone who worked in a youth organization forever, did something crazy like this ever happen? Not to this level, but some guy trying to infiltrate a youth organization for personal benefit? I'll hang up and listen.

Happened three times in the past 18(?) months just in our city alone. I would assume that it is not that unusual.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #810
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The Daily - Breaking: Sandusky Lawyer Impregnated A Teen

Quote:
…Defense attorney Joe Amendola, 63, representing Sandusky in the sexual molestation case roiling Penn State and Joe Paterno’s legendary football program, impregnated an under-age teen and later married her, The Daily has learned.

According to documents filed with Centre County Courthouse, Amendola served as the attorney for Mary Iavasile’s emancipation petition on Sept. 3, 1996, just weeks before her 17th birthday.

Around the same time, Iavasile became pregnant with Amendola’s child, and gave birth before she turned 18, her mother, Janet Iavasile, told The Daily.
He was born in 1948 and was around 49 at the time….

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-14-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #811
Grover
Pro Starter

Don't know if this has been mentioned above, but I saw on SportsCenter that Sandusky lived around 50 feet away from an elementary school.

As far as getting an interview, he's definitely entitled to say his piece, however unbelievable it may be.

He'll see how it feels when he goes to prison.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #812
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Bah. Nevermind.

Last edited by Matthean : 11-14-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #813
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Well, "trying to" is hard to say for sure. It never happened to my knowledge in any of my YL areas of responsibility in 14 years, and it is pretty rare in YL all around, but (as it was explained to me) YL isn't a prime target. It's kind of like that old joke about two guys encountering a bear and one of them putting on tennis shoes because "I don't need to outrun the bear. I just need to outrun YOU!" Basically, there are dozens (hundreds? thousands?) of organizations in a city the size of Atlanta that don't have enough checks in place to help prevent this sort of stuff, and the pedophiles target those. YL pays for a criminal background check for every staff person and volunteer, has a pretty extensive application process with reference checks, and (at least in my area) requires months of training before you're ever in contact with kids. As it was explained to us by someone in HR, just *having* all that paperwork and process in place pushes 'em away and toward the organizations that do much less.

Beyond that, YL really just started middle school ministry in earnest in the Southeast around a decade ago, so we were talking all high schoolers. Yeah, I'm sure there's some psychomumbojumbo out there about it still being pedophilia, but my sniff test tells me it's something entirely different (but still illegal, and it should be) when a 23-year-old guy gets the hots for a 16-year-old girl who looks like she's 25, as opposed to a 58-year-old with a 10-year-old. I *do* know of cases of the former in YL, and in every case, everyone involved agreed that the guy wasn't some monster who preyed on YL, but someone who got in for the right reasons, and then his fleshly desires just got the better of him. Really, if you're a 23-year-old guy looking for some 16-year-old action, there are much better and more convenient ways than YL. YL asks for a bigger time and training commitment out of volunteer youth workers than just about any organization out there.

So, a much shorter answer would be: "Yes, they definitely prey on organizations that work with young people, but for a variety of reasons, the particular organization that I worked for wasn't a prime target."

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 11-14-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #814
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

He'll probably off himself before it goes to trial.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:45 PM   #816
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
That Sandusky interview is freaking creepy.

Fuck yeah it is. It is on SC right now and I am thoroughly disturbed by this dude.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:46 PM   #817
Jas_lov
College Starter

Yeah, how was he a coach on Paterno's staff for so long? The guy is a creep.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:51 PM   #818
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

In hindsight showing with them was a bad idea? If there's not something in your brain that tells you showering with an underage boy and touching their leg is a bad idea to begin with you have serious issues.

He was thrown with the "Are you sexually attracted to underage boys?" question. First classic tell that someone is lying is stalling and repeating the question. What's he do, stalls and repeats the question. Then he tries to dance around coming out with a direct answer. I still don't think he actually said no, just that he likes to be around them or some horse**** like that.

I have a much worse opinion of Paterno after hearing Sandusky tonight.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #819
Grover
Pro Starter

When Costas asked him if he was sexually attracted to young boys, his long roundabout answer about loving to be around children but not being sexually attracted to them... that was the creepiest moment of the entire interview.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #820
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Just watched the clip from ESPN so it's not the whole interview, but it was interesting how quick and resounding he kept saying "No" when asked if he ever talked to Paterno about this.

McQueary is coming out and saying he did go in and stop Sandusky back in 2002 and that he did the right thing, and there is misinformation about him out there.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:08 PM   #821
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
When Costas asked him if he was sexually attracted to young boys, his long roundabout answer about loving to be around children but not being sexually attracted to them... that was the creepiest moment of the entire interview.

+11111111111111111

It was almost like his brain wouldn't let him come right out and say no. You ask anyone that is not a pedophile that question and you will get a quick and decisive answer.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #822
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Yeah, how was he a coach on Paterno's staff for so long? The guy is a creep.

Program success won the day. Sandusky was a coach for as long as he was, regardless of creepiness because he was brilliant defensive coordinator who was instrumental in the creation of "Linebacker U".
Old 11-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #823
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Program success won the day. Sandusky was a coach for as long as he was, regardless of creepiness because he was brilliant defensive coordinator who was instrumental in the creation of "Linebacker U".

Hope those in the know who continue to feel that it was justified and worth it are put on trial along with his scumbag ass for the coverup and sued into the goddamn poorhouse.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #824
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
"I could say that I have done some of those things. I have horsed around with kids. I have showered after workouts. I have hugged them and I have touched their legs without intent of sexual contact," said Sandusky.

This after Costas directly asked if he thought he was innocent of all 40 charges and being surprised Sandusky was claiming innocence. I really don't think "I could say that I have done some of those things" would be the first thing I would say after trying to prove I was innocent of 40 charges. How he said "without intent of sexual contact" seemed like he was saying he didn't have the intent, but it doesn't mean those things didn't happen.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:34 PM   #825
Subby
lolzcat

THATS NOT A LEG!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:47 PM   #826
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Old 11-14-2011, 11:48 PM   #827
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Yeah, I can't believe his lawyer allowed him to give that interview. And I can't believe he wasn't coached better.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:06 AM   #828
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder how authentic these witnesses they are suddenly finding who are denying anything happening are actually credible.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:59 AM   #829
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
McQueary used to live with current head coach Tom Bradley.

There's a bunch of this stuff showing up on twitter these days. This, and some connection between Sandusky, Jim Caldwell (now Colts head coach) and the UVA job, that UVA wanted to hure Sandusky and Caldwell would have been his right-hand man, but "his devotion to the charity" was a concern. Also, that Sandusky's father quit his job to start a kids' charity, and Sandusky grew up in the boarding house his dad ran.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #830
King of New York
High School Varsity

I thought that Costas handled that interview well. He did not showboat, but he did not shy away from tough questions either.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #831
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
He'll probably off himself before it goes to trial.

I gotta think it's -500 that he offs himself in the near future. The interview makes him seem obsessed with attempting to set the record straight(and failing miserably)
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #832
Butter
Coordinator

There is no way he commits suicide. He would only commit suicide if he felt some overwhelming sense of remorse, which would stem from having done something wrong.

I don't think he thinks he did anything wrong. As someone said above, there are certain pathological behaviors where people can blind themselves to some awful shit. I think Sandusky believes his physical act of love is a natural extension of the "love" he feels for these kids.

I don't think that he thinks he has done anything wrong. As noted by his initial reaction toward the mom that confronted him about taking showers with the boys... that he wouldn't stop. Why should he? It's not wrong (in his mind).
Old 11-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #833
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York View Post
I thought that Costas handled that interview well. He did not showboat, but he did not shy away from tough questions either.

What were the tough questions, exactly? "Are you a pedophile?" "Are you sexually attracted to young boys?"

Pretty simple questions, really. Unfortunately, Sandusky couldn't answer those without several pauses and repeating of the questions. He is one sick fuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #834
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Costas did an excellent job - I'd like to see him hold some workshops for "journalists" on how to conduct interviews.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:17 AM   #835
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

At least Sandusky didn't slip up and say he was taking his talents to South Beach.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #836
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
He was definitely heavily coached. The state has to prove intent for sexual gratification (not necessarily "getting off", just more general sexual-themed gratification). It's not a crime to touch a kid's leg, or even shower with him, without that intent (though in our society, a jury is going to infer that intent with the showering most times, I would think, but you'd still need some evidence of it)

Edit: I should add, the state only needs to prove sexual intent for the the touching charges. Obviously, for rape, you only have to show intent for the rape.

Now he only needs to overcome the other ten accusers.His lawyer is an idiot for putting him on TV. Even if he was innocent, there is literally nothing he could say at this point that would change opinion on him.

I wonder how far back the accusations will end up going. And how many there will be. It's not like a guy just decides to start molesting kids in his 40s or however old he was at the time.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #837
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Just watched the clip from ESPN so it's not the whole interview, but it was interesting how quick and resounding he kept saying "No" when asked if he ever talked to Paterno about this.

McQueary is coming out and saying he did go in and stop Sandusky back in 2002 and that he did the right thing, and there is misinformation about him out there.

Ok Mike, then where was the followup? Where was the phone call to the police? How could you be a coach on the staff and see the guy visiting the school and not say something?

Sorry, Mike, you can try topspin this, but if you cannot prove you went to the police, you still lose in my book.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #838
King of New York
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
What were the tough questions, exactly? "Are you a pedophile?" "Are you sexually attracted to young boys?"

Pretty simple questions, really. Unfortunately, Sandusky couldn't answer those without several pauses and repeating of the questions. He is one sick fuck.

I don't mean tough in terms of complicated versus simple, I mean tough in terms of confronting key issues head on. Plenty of interviewers [ping: Barbara Walters] would have just lobbed sympathetic softballs in return for getting the scoop, and Costas did not do that.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #839
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
I don't mean tough in terms of complicated versus simple, I mean tough in terms of confronting key issues head on. Plenty of interviewers [ping: Barbara Walters] would have just lobbed sympathetic softballs in return for getting the scoop, and Costas did not do that.

Ok gotcha. I have never been a Costas fan, he kinda comes off as a pompous ass imho. As others have said, why the fuck is NBC even interviewing this guy?

Quote:
Old 11-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #840
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ok gotcha. I have never been a Costas fan, he kinda comes off as a pompous ass imho. As others have said, why the fuck is NBC even interviewing this guy?

The 145 Botox injections he gets daily to his face is what gets me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #841
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

Ping: Sandusky

Get yourself a criminal defense attorney who knows what the hell he's doing.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #842
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisbo View Post
Ping: Sandusky

Get yourself a criminal defense attorney who knows what the hell he's doing.

No need for that. He's doing just fine now.

They just need to make sure he goes into the general population when he is locked up. See how he likes it when he is touched in the shower without his permission.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #843
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I am still at a loss for words as to how nobody said anything about this or did anything. From McQueary to Paterno to a janitor and who the hell else knew about it....

Why was it so difficult for anyone to do the right thing?

Quote:
Old 11-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #844
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

If Sandusky goes to prison and ends up in general population (the GP part is highly unlikely, I'm sure), they're just going to kill him. He literally won't survive his first day in prison if they put him in pop. Prisoners don't rape child molesters. Prisoners kill child molesters.

Anyway, I think he should keep talking to the media while he can. Let the guy dig an even bigger hole for himself.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #845
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I think asking how Sandusky thought he was innocent when there are 40 counts out there was a solid question.

Last edited by Matthean : 11-15-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #846
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
I think asking how Sandusky thought he was innocent when there are 40 counts out there was a solid question.

Semantics here, but a "tough" question is different than a "solid" question. Not so much blaming Costas for any of this as I am wondering how NBC allowed this in the first place. What could any of them possibly have gained from this ridiculous interview? We all know Sandusky is a sick piece of shit and regardless of what he would have said in that interview, I doubt people are going to change their collective mind on that.

Quote:
Old 11-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #847
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Semantics here, but a "tough" question is different than a "solid" question. Not so much blaming Costas for any of this as I am wondering how NBC allowed this in the first place. What could any of them possibly have gained from this ridiculous interview? We all know Sandusky is a sick piece of shit and regardless of what he would have said in that interview, I doubt people are going to change their collective mind on that.

Ratings. While the topic is sick and disgusting we all know people will watch it.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #848
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

NBC would be irresponsible NOT to do this interview. This is currently the biggest story in America right now. If Sandusky agrees to an interview or proposes the idea of an interview NBC HAS to do it.

I don't see how doing the interview was really going to help Sandusky, but that's beside the point.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #849
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Ratings. While the topic is sick and disgusting we all know people will watch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
NBC would be irresponsible NOT to do this interview. This is currently the biggest story in America right now. If Sandusky agrees to an interview or proposes the idea of an interview NBC HAS to do it.

I don't see how doing the interview was really going to help Sandusky, but that's beside the point.

Yeah I get the ratings thing, but it would be nice if just once....someone took the high road in this country and didn't glorify disgusting shit like this (glares at ESPN)...

Quote:
Old 11-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #850
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah I get the ratings thing, but it would be nice if just once....someone took the high road in this country and didn't glorify disgusting shit like this (glares at ESPN)...

While I agree with this to an extent, this is something ESPN *HAS* to jump on. It's arguably the biggest story in collegiate sports in quite some time. They have to play the Fox News / MSNBC route on a story like that.

Even though I wish they wouldn't.