Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #851
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman View Post

I noticed the barbed wire, Sandusky should get used to this view from inside a prison compound.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #852
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Yeah I get the ratings thing, but it would be nice if just once....someone took the high road in this country and didn't glorify disgusting shit like this (glares at ESPN)...

I am not sure how much the interview actually impacted NBC's ratings. I didn't even know the interview happened until this morning. I am sure that if NBC had more notice they would have TV ads about it after every commercial break of every show until it aired.

I think it goes beyond that. I don't think interviewing the guy is "glorifying" anything. This is news. What he has to say is news. This was as straight-up interview in which Costas asked all of the questions that everyone's been wanting to ask this guy. I really don't see this interview as sensationalism. Sandusky did himself no favors with this.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #853
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Prisoners don't rape child molesters. Prisoners kill child molesters.

That's fine too.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #854
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

I don't see how doing the interview was really going to help Sandusky, but that's beside the point.

Reading an article that says he basically just convicted himself. Sounds like there is solid enough evidence to put him away regardless, but even if there wasn't admitting that he showered and touched legs and the fact that he stumbled over the question over whether he was sexually attracted basically seals the deal.

I wonder if he's not sick enough that he gets off on the coverage and the interviews
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #855
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Reading an article that says he basically just convicted himself. Sounds like there is solid enough evidence to put him away regardless, but even if there wasn't admitting that he showered and touched legs and the fact that he stumbled over the question over whether he was sexually attracted basically seals the deal.

I wonder if he's not sick enough that he gets off on the coverage and the interviews

OTOH, you know his lawyers are going to argue to the judge that he can't get an untainted jury. In a twisted way, interviews like that one that "seal the deal" might actually make it that much harder for the case to get to trial.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #856
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

The army of witnesses and victims that will testify should be more than enough. He has the worst lawyer ever for allowing him to give that interview. Although it gives insight into his defense strategy that he was just playful and while inappropriate, didn't actually do anything wrong.

Sad thing is that McQueary came out today and is giving a different account which has the potential to help Sandusky at trial. Protecting JoePa and the PSU football program is more important anyway.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #857
molson
General Manager

They basically have to hope that none of the victims are willing to testify, and have their names become public, and be subject to cross-examination AND that they can somehow discredit McQueary. Because unless I'm forgetting someone, it's just McQueary and the old janitor who has dementia and is no longer competent to testify, as far as non-victim eye witnesses. And we probably don't have any medical evidence or anything, so it's going to be all testimony-based.

It's obviously tougher with more victims. But if they can get one or two of them to recant (which is actually not that hard when you have a persistent defense attorney not subject to the rules of court - see the off-the-record "recanting" of the Troy Davis witnesses, not to open that can of worms), then maybe you can say, "see, those 2 ADMITTED they were lying!", or "those 2 ADMITTED they were lying, and those other 2 haven't showed up to testify - and you're going to believe these 2 that are left and send a man to prison for life?" Sure, it's a long shot, but I can see that kind of strategy being pursued. All it takes is a couple of stubborn jurors, a hung jury, then the prosecution needs another 2 years to retry him, more victims don't want to participate, etc, etc. That's the game. There are challenges with any trial based solely on witness testimony (unless they dug up something else I'm missing).

Last edited by molson : 11-15-2011 at 08:44 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #858
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
OTOH, you know his lawyers are going to argue to the judge that he can't get an untainted jury. In a twisted way, interviews like that one that "seal the deal" might actually make it that much harder for the case to get to trial.

OJ says, "Hello."

Quote:
In the email, first obtained and reported Tuesday by The Morning Call of Allentown, Pa., McQueary said he "did have discussions with police and with the official at the university in charge of police" after the alleged incident.

In the email, dated Nov. 8, McQueary said "I did stop it, not physically, but made sure it was stopped when I left that locker room," The Morning Call reported.

Penn State Nittany Lions scandal -- Mike McQueary stopped alleged assault, source says - ESPN
Old 11-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #859
Izulde
Head Coach

Sorry, but I don't believe McQueary when he says he made sure it was stopped.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #860
bhlloy
Coordinator

The choice appears for McQueary to stick with his story and be forever labeled a coward and facilitator, or try and change the story and risk seeing charges himself?

I agree I don't believe this latest spin being put out there. If he did stop it and talk to police, then the charges that were made on his testimony make no sense at all. I would be willing to bet it's just the desperate last attempts of someone who has seen their career disappear and is getting some expensive PR and legal advice.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #861
SportsDino
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Do you actually read what you type?

Yes, I'm at the extreme hatred part of the spectrum and if you don't like it then put up a challenge to what I say. State that he didn't protect his money making machine or 'sense of honor at PSU' at the expense of children. That he didn't make a 'balance' decision and decide that ass rape was not so bad after all if it might make him have a slightly bad day or lose a few donations or recruits.

Instead you guys would rather argue bullshit semantics of what he knew or did not, or meander over who the victim is, rather than step up and ask the obvious: 'Did he keep quiet to save his own ass?'

As far as I am concerned I do know all the facts I need to know, statistically this much shit on a story tends to stick. You want to argue otherwise type up the 'real Paterno story' that doesn't revolve around him condoning rape and try not to laugh when you read it back to yourself. My position is obviously extreme but I'm sticking by it.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:39 PM   #862
RainMaker
General Manager

So McQueary committed perjury with the Grand Jury?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #863
Subby
lolzcat

The part that I don't get is that he "stopped the act" but left the kid there, naked, with the old man.

I haven't read any testimony, but is that the story?
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #864
SportsDino
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
Costas did an excellent job - I'd like to see him hold some workshops for "journalists" on how to conduct interviews.

i think Costas did a great job on the interview, he kept attacking the question from multiple angles to see if he would slip. Sandusky (despite saying no) sounded guilty, although I've heard people lie and tell the truth in all sorts of fashions... if he is telling the truth he'd be an odd and rare case with how he sounded in that interview.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #865
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
So McQueary committed perjury with the Grand Jury?

Does the Grand Jury's summary specifically say he testified that he never contacted any police? Or is that just an inference?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:12 PM   #866
bhlloy
Coordinator

It says he was never questioned by University Police and that no entity conducted an investigation until 2010. So maybe he did report it to police but it didn't go anywhere from there.

That probably doesn't bode well for getting a conviction from Spanier and Curley, if they can argue that they knew McQueary already went to the police.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #867
Galaxy
Coordinator

In July, Paterno Transferred Ownership of Home to His Wife for $1 - NYTimes.com

A legal move before the storm came?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:18 PM   #868
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Does the Grand Jury's summary specifically say he testified that he never contacted any police? Or is that just an inference?
It infers heavily that he didn't. This would be in any summary if he did. It's not something you leave out.

The choices are McQueary committed perjury or is currently lying to save his own ass and potentially hurt the case against Sandusky to protect Penn State and Paterno.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:19 PM   #869
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
It says he was never questioned by University Police and that no entity conducted an investigation until 2010. So maybe he did report it to police but it didn't go anywhere from there.

That probably doesn't bode well for getting a conviction from Spanier and Curley, if they can argue that they knew McQueary already went to the police.

It would have been noted if he reported it to the police. Either in police records or GJ testimony.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:27 PM   #870
bhlloy
Coordinator

Not if the police didn't record it and McQueary was smart enough to leave himself some wriggle room in his testimony. And I'm willing to bet the campus police department would be quite happy to overlook such a report against such an important figure if the right people were involved

There's going to be a million things in this case that we will never know whether it was a big conspiracy or just good people not taking enough action.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:38 PM   #871
RainMaker
General Manager

Maybe McQueary made it stop by promising to play in Sandusky's golf outing in 2002 and 2003.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:04 AM   #872
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Fuck McQueary. Whether or not he stopped it, he literally spent the next ten years recruiting thousands of kids to come play in those showers.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:27 AM   #873
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Paterno in line for six-figure annual pension - Yahoo! News
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #874
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I really don't know what McQueary told the GJ and what they put in or left out of their summary, but I do know one thing: that kid better not fuck up the prosecution's case by changing his story to save face. Because about the only thing worse than seeing a child raped and not doing anything about it, is to see a child rape, not do anything about it, and then get impeached as a witness when the pedophile goes on trial by lying about what you did because you're worried about your next coaching job.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #875
miked
College Starter

Apparently even if he went to the police, nobody will ever know. PSU does not have to comply with open record laws, even though nearly every other entity in the state receiving state money does. I know every time something happens on either campus I'm affiliated with, a message goes out whether it's real or not. I guess PSU is already under investigation for that, but is there anything stopping the police from just burning everything (if they didn't already) since they are under no obligation to open their records.

Quote:
In 2007, state lawmakers considered a change that would have included the school under the open records law. But Spanier testified against the move before the House State Government Committee.

He told the legislature he was concerned about cost and compliance. He also said they were competitive reasons for keeping records private.

"Nobody would argue the point that the public has a right to know how public funds are spent," Spanier said at the time. "But these proposals will fundamentally change the way we operate, the way our trustees govern and the way the university administers their policies."
Old 11-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #876
gkb
High School Varsity

Old 11-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #877
Grover
Pro Starter

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/co...ticle-1.977873

It just keeps getting better (worse).

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #878
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/co...ticle-1.977873

It just keeps getting better (worse).

Heard about this a day or two ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #879
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Article on McQueary with quotes from what he wrote to Paterno in a note that was from each of PSU captains under Paterno.

In the Penn State child sexual abuse scandal, there are no easy answers for assistant Mike McQueary - ESPN

Last edited by Matthean : 11-16-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #880
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Franco, let it go...

Undaunted, Franco Harris Is Driving To State College To Convince Penn State To Re-Hire Joe Paterno
Old 11-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #881
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Umm. Yeah, waaaaay too many hits to the melon for this guy. This is why running backs, no, football players, need to walk away from the game before it's too late.

Quote:
Old 11-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #882
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It infers heavily that he didn't. This would be in any summary if he did. It's not something you leave out.

The choices are McQueary committed perjury or is currently lying to save his own ass and potentially hurt the case against Sandusky to protect Penn State and Paterno.
...or he's playing both sides of the coin. What he says now isn't testimony. If he thinks Sandusky is going to off himself or plead guilty, then he has little to lose by trying to save face now. There's at least a fair chance he never has to testify again.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 11-16-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #883
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Frank Deford weighs in with some useless crap.

The Penn State scandal defies the masculine culture of football

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 11-16-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #884
RedKingGold
College Starter

I heard on the Dan Patrick show that McQueary participated in Sandusky's golf tournament approximately four weeks after he witnessed the alleged anal rape in the shower.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 11-16-2011 at 07:01 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #885
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
I heard on the Dan Patrick show that McQueary participated in Sandusky's golf tournament approximately four weeks after he witnessed the alleged anal rape in the shower.

Even if he stopped it and reported it, he was part of the people that let Sandusky stick around.

Also...
Motivated By Costas Interview, Alleged Sandusky Victim Will Testify He Was "Severely Sexually Assaulted"
Old 11-16-2011, 07:14 PM   #886
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Child rape should never come between you and a friend.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #887
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Even if he stopped it and reported it, he was part of the people that let Sandusky stick around.

Also...
Motivated By Costas Interview, Alleged Sandusky Victim Will Testify He Was "Severely Sexually Assaulted"
Good for those victims. Very courageous of them to step up considering the lack of support they receive in that community.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #888
molson
General Manager

I hope the shower rape kid comes forward. I don't think I've ever heard of a sex abuse conviction where the victim is unknown.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #889
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
...or he's playing both sides of the coin. What he says now isn't testimony. If he thinks Sandusky is going to off himself or plead guilty, then he has little to lose by trying to save face now. There's at least a fair chance he never has to testify again.
Heh. Didn't expect this to come *quite* so quickly...

Two police departments say Penn State coach never filed report - CNN.com
Old 11-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #890
miked
College Starter

Not that I am any fan of McQueery, but would it be hard to believe the police never filed any reports or did anything? Also, without any open records laws, what was to prevent anyone from destroying the record before it got out? There seems to be a systematic coverup that went all the way to the top, so it's not hard to believe the cops did nada.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #891
Danny
Head Coach

As someone who tries to be a good Christian, I try and represent the values of Jesus and the new testament. But when it comes to someone like Sandusky, I fully embrace the old testament.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #892
RainMaker
General Manager

Great article that looks into how the case was broken open. Also the cover-up by Second Mile and Penn State.

Internet Posting Helped Sandusky Investigators - NYTimes.com
Old 11-16-2011, 10:24 PM   #893
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

In other non-surprising news, they changed the judge since the judge was a volunteer at Sandusky's foundation.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:35 PM   #894
Grover
Pro Starter

My God, did South Park hit the Penn State jokes hard tonight...

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #895
IrishHand
Mascot

Sandusky's adopted son attempted suicide

[X] Still on the "this will get worse before it gets better" wagon
IrishHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #896
IrishHand
Mascot

Costas-Sandusky transcript
IrishHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #897
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

The SI article - no real news, but a thorough summary of everything.

http://cnnsi.printthis.clickability....t%2Findex.html
Old 11-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #898
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

As expected, alleged victims are coming out of the woodwork, some as far back as the 70s. Mostly thanks to Sandusky's Costas interview.

Report: Alleged Sandusky Victims From As Far Back As The 1970s Contact Lawyers | ThePostGame

If anyone questions again why PSU did nothing back in 1998 or in 2002 about this, it's because what's happening right now would have happened in 1998. I don't know how much society has changed in the past 13 or so years, but it's entirely possible JoePa doesn't get much past 300 victories, much less 400, if this stuff comes out. Maybe with the speed of information these days, he isn't canned within a week back then like he was now, but it probably would have happened, if what's going to come out in the next weeks and months and years came out back then.

You just knew this went way farther back then 1998.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-17-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #899
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
As expected, alleged victims are coming out of the woodwork, some as far back as the 70s. Mostly thanks to Sandusky's Costas interview.

Report: Alleged Sandusky Victims From As Far Back As The 1970s Contact Lawyers | ThePostGame

If anyone questions again why PSU did nothing back in 1998 or in 2002 about this, it's because what's happening right now would have happened in 1998. I don't know how much society has changed in the past 13 or so years, but it's entirely possible JoePa doesn't get much past 300 victories, much less 400, if this stuff comes out. Maybe with the speed of information these days, he isn't canned within a week back then like he was now, but it probably would have happened, if what's going to come out in the next weeks and months and years came out back then.

I had read some stuff that took it back to 1994 but this stuff from the 70's is just ridiculous. How does a living, breathing, piece of shit like Sandusky get away with this for nearly 40 years?

The afterlife will not treat Mr. Sandusky very well me thinks.

Quote:
Old 11-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #900
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
...and as more is starting to come to light, there were evidently rumors of this among the coaching ranks even *outside* of Penn State. I'm starting to lean more and more toward the Barry Switzer point of view: that there's simply no way that the entire coaching staff at Penn State didn't have at least some idea that this was going on.