Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-18-2015, 05:10 AM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

2015 NBA Offseason Thread

The lottery is tomorrow so I thought this would be as good a time as any to get the offseason thread going. Here is the draft order pre lottery.

1. Minnesota 16-66 (.195) [250 = number of chances in Draft Lottery]
2. New York 17-65 (.207) [199]
3. Philadelphia 18-64 (.220) [156]
4. L.A. Lakers* 21-61 (.256) [119]
5. Orlando 25-57 (.305) [88]
6. Sacramento 29-53 (.354) [63]
7. Denver 30-52 (.366) [43]
8. Detroit 32-50 (.390) [28]
9. Charlotte 33-49 (.402) [17]
10. Miami** 37-45 (.451) [11]
11. Indiana 38-44 (.463) [8]
12. Utah 38-44 (.463) [7]
13. Phoenix 39-43 (.476) [6]
14. Oklahoma City 45-37 (.549) [5]
15. Brooklyn*** 38-44 (.463)
16. Boston 40-42 (.488)
17. Milwaukee 41-41 (.500)
18. New Orleans (To Houston) 45-37 (.549)
19. Washington 46-36 (.561)
20. Toronto 49-33 (.598)
21. Dallas 50-32 (.610)
22. Chicago^ 50-32 (.610)
23. Portland 51-31 (.622)
24. Cleveland^^ 53-29 (.646)
25. Memphis 55-27 (.671)
26. San Antonio 55-27 (.671)
27. Houston (To L.A. Lakers) 56-26 (.683)
28. L.A. Clippers (To Boston) 56-26 (.683)
29. Atlanta^^^ 60-22 (.732)
30. Golden State 67-15 (.817)

* This pick may be conveyed to Philadelphia via Phoenix.
** This pick may be conveyed to Philadelphia via Cleveland.
*** This pick may be conveyed to Atlanta.
^ This pick may be conveyed to Cleveland.
^^ This pick may be conveyed to Chicago.
^^^ This pick may be conveyed to Brooklyn.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:36 AM   #2
miami_fan
Coordinator

For a bit of perspective going into the draft, here is the 2010 draft class.

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 05-19-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Any good lotto conspiracies? I really hope that Indy goes top 3 and that ends up forcing the Lakers to 6th and Heat to 11th.

Last edited by stevew : 05-19-2015 at 04:28 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:00 PM   #4
Logan
Head Coach

I found myself standing next to actor/director Michael Rapaport in midtown early today as we were waiting to cross the street. Walked with him for a couple blocks. The guy just made a 30 for 30 on the glory days of the Knicks and he had no idea that they had a good shot at getting the #1 pick tonight.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:22 PM   #5
spleen1015
Coordinator

I don't see any lights out superstars in this draft.

I hope the Pacers pick someone that's going to be worth a shit instead of another Plumlee.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:29 PM   #6
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Any good lotto conspiracies?

Just the typical, "The League will screw the Timberwolves," conspiracy.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:49 PM   #7
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Any good lotto conspiracies? I really hope that Indy goes top 3 and that ends up forcing the Lakers to 6th and Heat to 11th.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...ttery-100-not/
Old 05-19-2015, 07:34 PM   #8
nol
Banned

Every possible outcome is a conspiracy, but the Lakers losing the pick is the funniest one that has more than a 1% chance of happening.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:36 PM   #9
MrBug708
Head Coach

I fully expect the league to continue to dick over the Lakers
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:42 PM   #10
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Teams really miss out on a nice PR move when the owner or GM is the one who shows up at the draft lottery as the team representative. #bucksownerhotdaughter

Last edited by Lathum : 05-19-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:49 PM   #11
MrBug708
Head Coach

Woo!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:49 PM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

LOL Knicks
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:54 PM   #13
mckerney
Coordinator

Wooooo!!! Tanking works!
Old 05-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #14
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Just the typical, "The League will screw the Timberwolves," conspiracy.

Pop the corks!

Quote:
Minnesota Timberwolves

Odds of winning the lottery: 25.0% 100%

The NBA wants to tap deeper into the Canadian market. See the league’s flirtation with Montreal. Marketing the Raptors would have been the easy route, but they’re fizzling. The next-best option: Selling Andrew Wiggins, a native Canadian and budding superstar. That gets easier when the Timberwolves get better. (That they also have Canadian Anthony Bennett and Vince Carter‘s closest dunking heir apparent, Zach LaVine, only helps.) The NBA will give Minnesota the No. 1 pick and gain a huge following across an entire country.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:58 PM   #15
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Feeling better about the Suns trade for Knight. With a healthy Kobe, Randall, #2 pick and two High priced FAs, that pick lost a lot of value getting pushed to next year.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:58 PM   #16
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Can we please never hear about the Wolves "never moving up in the lottery" again. I know first to first isn't moving up but it's close enough.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:25 PM   #17
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Interesting decision ahead for the wolves. Okafor seems safe and maybe an Amare Stoudamire type player from pre-injury years. KAT on the other hand seems to have the athletic talent to become Anthony Davis or the non interest to become Hasheem Thabeet.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:29 AM   #18
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Feeling better about the Suns trade for Knight. With a healthy Kobe, Randall, #2 pick and two High priced FAs, that pick lost a lot of value getting pushed to next year.

Good luck with that happening. It's Randle, BTW.

The key is going to be the FA pickups. I'm not sold on Clarkson as a long-term answer at all, though the huge Filipino and Laker fan contingent here in town thinks he's amazing. To me he's a 2nd round steal, but also put up inflated stats on a shit team.

I personally don't think Kobe has anything left, and should have retired a year or two ago But we'll have to suffer through another year of him and the obnoxious hyping.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:21 AM   #19
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Lakers are not making the playoffs next year. It's a lottery pick for Brandon Knight. Maybe that's worth it but the Lakers are not going to be good for a couple years.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:24 AM   #20
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Interesting decision ahead for the wolves. Okafor seems safe and maybe an Amare Stoudamire type player from pre-injury years. KAT on the other hand seems to have the athletic talent to become Anthony Davis or the non interest to become Hasheem Thabeet.

Kind of reminds me of the Wiggins or Parker debate. Parker seems more polished and you know what you're getting. Wiggins had the enormous upside.

Either way, a nice little rebuild for the Wolves. They'll have the last 3 #1 picks on their roster next season.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:08 AM   #21
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Teams really miss out on a nice PR move when the owner or GM is the one who shows up at the draft lottery as the team representative. #bucksownerhotdaughter

According to Deadspin, the NBA instituted a no family member rule this year.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:17 AM   #22
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
"Today was very nerve wracking. I really didn't anticipate that it would go this way," owner Glen Taylor said. "People say you have a 25 per cent to win but I always look at it that there's a 75 per cent chance that someone else is going to win. I just feel very honoured that we have the chance to be in this position."

LOL
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Last edited by Fidatelo : 05-20-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:18 AM   #23
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
LOL

double LOL
Old 05-20-2015, 09:24 AM   #24
molson
General Manager

Well hey, that team had a goal and they accomplished it, he has the right to be proud. Unlike say, the Jazz, who cost themselves 4-5 spots in the draft and a better shot at a top-3 pick by committing the gravest sin in the NBA, something that the system deems worthy of punishment - coming together as a team and winning basketball games.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #25
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Kind of reminds me of the Wiggins or Parker debate. Parker seems more polished and you know what you're getting. Wiggins had the enormous upside.

Either way, a nice little rebuild for the Wolves. They'll have the last 3 #1 picks on their roster next season.

I agree. The debate is very similar. The only thing that will be holding the Wolves back in the next couple of years is Rubio and the PG situation.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:46 AM   #26
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

That looks like the kind of thing you would do in FBB and decide you need to give yourself some house rules.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:37 AM   #27
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Lakers are not making the playoffs next year. It's a lottery pick for Brandon Knight. Maybe that's worth it but the Lakers are not going to be good for a couple years.
Knight is a lottery pick that reached his potential. Given the crapshoot the lottery is, I think trading one that will probably be in the 9-12 range next season for a guy taken #8 who has proven himself in the league (and is still just 23) makes sense. Had the Lakers pick ended up 6, that would have been a tough pill as the #6 player in this draft appears to me a much better prospect than 9-12 next year (plus you get that player a year earlier).

As to the Lakers, I don't think they will make the playoffs, but I can see them being similar to Utah or Phoenix this year (finish in the 36-40 win range). Given they won't be keeping their pick for sure, I'm guessing they will try to hit the end of the lottery or sneak in as the 8th seed.

Here's an interesting question for them, though. Most of the good guards/SF in the FA pool are restricted (Kawhi, Butler, Knight, Reggie Jackson, Middleton). There are a ton of PF/C types that are unrestricted though (Gasol, Aldridge, Jordan, Lopez, Millsap, Monroe, Chandler, Love?). If you take Okafor, you are better at the front court with Okafor, Randle and Hill - but lack guards/SF. So you are forced to try and steal an RFA (not easy) or go after a second tier guy like Monta Ellis (ugh, pairing him with Kobe and Young - ouch), Rondo (who knows where he is physically/mentally) or a 3rd tier option like Lou Williams. On the other hand, you can take D'Angelo Russell to lock down your PG/SG slot for the future and go after a better/more likely FA option in the frontcourt like Jordan, Gasol, Millsap, Monroe, Chandler or one of the Lopez brothers (and maybe even Love).
Old 05-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #28
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
I agree. The debate is very similar. The only thing that will be holding the Wolves back in the next couple of years is Rubio and the PG situation.

That and the hole at SG if Kevin Martin opts out after next season. It will poetically be best long term if they can hold onto their pick next year and draft someone who can fill that spot. If they're able to do that they may be able to get by with Rubio.

Last edited by mckerney : 05-20-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:21 AM   #29
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Knight is a lottery pick that reached his potential. Given the crapshoot the lottery is, I think trading one that will probably be in the 9-12 range next season for a guy taken #8 who has proven himself in the league (and is still just 23) makes sense. Had the Lakers pick ended up 6, that would have been a tough pill as the #6 player in this draft appears to me a much better prospect than 9-12 next year (plus you get that player a year earlier).

As to the Lakers, I don't think they will make the playoffs, but I can see them being similar to Utah or Phoenix this year (finish in the 36-40 win range). Given they won't be keeping their pick for sure, I'm guessing they will try to hit the end of the lottery or sneak in as the 8th seed.

Here's an interesting question for them, though. Most of the good guards/SF in the FA pool are restricted (Kawhi, Butler, Knight, Reggie Jackson, Middleton). There are a ton of PF/C types that are unrestricted though (Gasol, Aldridge, Jordan, Lopez, Millsap, Monroe, Chandler, Love?). If you take Okafor, you are better at the front court with Okafor, Randle and Hill - but lack guards/SF. So you are forced to try and steal an RFA (not easy) or go after a second tier guy like Monta Ellis (ugh, pairing him with Kobe and Young - ouch), Rondo (who knows where he is physically/mentally) or a 3rd tier option like Lou Williams. On the other hand, you can take D'Angelo Russell to lock down your PG/SG slot for the future and go after a better/more likely FA option in the frontcourt like Jordan, Gasol, Millsap, Monroe, Chandler or one of the Lopez brothers (and maybe even Love).

Or see what you could get from NY and take Mudaiy?
Old 05-20-2015, 12:11 PM   #30
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
If they're able to do that they may be able to get by with Rubio.

am i missing sth? Health is an issue, but the wolves looked respectable it even good whenever rubio was on the court the last 2 seasons and clearly better than without him.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-20-2015 at 12:13 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:26 PM   #31
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

But I think the question of the offseason is what player will sign more than a 1 year deal. Isn't the cap for next year around 65 and then it jumps by 20 million for 16-17 with the new TV deal.

It seems like the Lakers are banking on that scenario happening so when Kobe comes off the books they can rebuild a starting 5 around Randle and the #1 from this season by offering 3 max contracts with the new cap.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #32
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
am i missing sth? Health is an issue, but the wolves looked respectable it even good whenever rubio was on the court the last 2 seasons and clearly better than without him.

I don't feel like Rubio gets them to the promised land, but I admit that's a gut feel. Flashy passer, but has he learned to shoot yet? And the health issue can't be ignored.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #33
nol
Banned

Towns over Okafor should not be hard for the Wolves. This year's worst defensive team needs all the help it can get, and Wiggins needs all the spacing help he can get because it's not going to come from a Flip Saunders offense.

The Knicks don't have anything worth trading down for and are probably more likely to trade down themselves.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:43 PM   #34
whomario
Pro Starter

The wolves are a ways from even thinking about “the promised land“. Have a season of playing to win is the first step and if after a Playoffs apearance of 2 you cant find a way to compensate for his lack of shooting (there were some good signs befindet things went to hell this season i thought...), his contract will be up.
I think there is an attainable Combination of players including rubio that can be successfull. He simply does have an ability to make players better (“flashy“ sells him way short. He is flashy in the same Sense nash was a “flashy passer“. Its not empty antics ...) and is a really good defender who would be even more effective with even a semblance of rim protection behind hin.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-20-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #35
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Rubio would be a nice PG off of the bench. His defense is the quality about him that makes him a liability as a starting PG. He cant defend a decent point guard and the all stars embarrass him. His subpar shooting is only his 2nd worst quality He has a place in this league and is fun to watch. Just not as a starting point guard on a playoff team.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:04 PM   #36
nol
Banned

Quote:
Rubio would be a nice PG off of the bench. His defense is the quality about him that makes him a liability as a starting PG. He cant defend a decent point guard and the all stars embarrass him. His subpar shooting is only his 2nd worst quality He has a place in this league and is fun to watch. Just not as a starting point guard on a playoff team.

You are confusing "white and European" with "not being able to play defense." By all accounts Rubio is somewhere around a top-five defensive point guard. I'd put Paul, Beverly, and Wall above him but after that it's up for debate. It's a lot easier for someone like George Hill or Mike Conley to look like a great defender (and both are good in their own right) when a Paul George/Tony Allen is able to shift over and guard tough PGs and a Roy Hibbert/Marc Gasol is helping to clean up any mistakes.

Last edited by nol : 05-20-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:12 PM   #37
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
You are confusing "white and European" with "not being able to play defense." By all accounts Rubio is somewhere around a top-five defensive point guard. I'd put Paul, Beverly, and Wall above him but after that it's up for debate. It's a lot easier for someone like George Hill or Mike Conley to look like a good defender when a Roy Hibbert/Marc Gasol is helping to clean up any mistakes.

He is awful on defense. The main reason I stopped following defensive metrics in the NBA. Yes, it certainly doesnt help that the wolves dont have a rim protector but Rubio cant stay in front of a guard with skills. He gets out of position and swipes at the ball and goes for steals. Looks great on the stat sheet getting the steals he does but doesnt help the wolves on defense playing 5 vs 4.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 05-20-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #38
whomario
Pro Starter

Thats simply not what 99% of people around or watching the nba judge him as. No offense intended, but that assessment seems way out there. He does try to do too much, but technique and instincts are top notch and half the reason in any case lies with the “help“. Heck, dellavedova just checked rose fullcourt with success due to having reliable helpdefense.

He has similar problems perception-wise to prime kirilenko (compared to, say, a battier) in that he overrrotates rather than taking the simple road. He literally is prepared to guard each player every play and i am absolutely sure he is a major boon to the defense even when he gets scored on due to it at times. Kinda like an agressive sweeper keeper in soccer (like Manuel neuer) can look stupid every once in a while and his coach will never mind.

In any case, every pg gets scored on plenty in the modern nba. Theres a reason guys like thibodeau have stuck as coaches, effective defense is a tough thing to achieve under the current rules and 1:1 defense has become near impossible.

Last edited by whomario : 05-20-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #39
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Well the wolves were 29th in the league at defending point guards last year. Other teams dont have great rim protectors either and arent 2nd worst in the entire league. The previous two years they were 27th and 24th.

NBA Team Opponents Stats 2014-2015 - NBA Fantasy Basketball Stats

Last edited by jbergey22 : 05-20-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #40
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Towns over Okafor should not be hard for the Wolves. This year's worst defensive team needs all the help it can get, and Wiggins needs all the spacing help he can get because it's not going to come from a Flip Saunders offense.

The Knicks don't have anything worth trading down for and are probably more likely to trade down themselves.

I don't know, I feel like Okafor over Towns is just as reasonable (maybe not just as reasonable, but not out of this world either). Not that he's someone to build around, but putting Dieng next to Okafor should help cover for Okafor's defensive weaknesses. Offensively...that might be a muddled lane though.

I say this as an outsider, and only watching 5-6 TWolves games a year.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:43 PM   #41
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Thats simply not what 99% of people around or watching the nba judge him as. No offense intended, but that assessment seems way out there. He does try to do too much, but technique and instincts are top notch and half the reason in any case lies with the “help“. Heck, dellavedova just checked rose fullcourt with success due to having reliable helpdefense.

He has similar problems perception-wise to prime kirilenko (compared to, say, a battier) in that he overrrotates rather than taking the simple road. He literally is prepared to guard each player every play and i am absolutely sure he is a major boon to the defense even when he gets scored on due to it at times. Kinda like an agressive sweeper keeper in soccer (like Manuel neuer) can look stupid every once in a while and his coach will never mind.

In any case, every pg gets scored on plenty in the modern nba. Theres a reason guys like thibodeau have stuck as coaches, effective defense is a tough thing to achieve under the current rules and 1:1 defense has become near impossible.

I agree with your last paragraph completely. The point guard does need a lot of help in todays NBA. Mostly because I watch a few Twolves games every year this myth that he is somehow a top defender in the league when the team stats or really nothing else back it up just really bothers me. Guys like Westbrook, Curry, and Lilliard constantly expose him. He might be able to look like a decent defender against a point guard without great ball skills but other than that he just gets himself out of position chasing steals.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 05-20-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:45 PM   #42
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well the wolves were 29th in the league at defending point guards last year. Other teams dont have great rim protectors either and arent 2nd worst in the entire league. The previous two years they were 27th and 24th.

NBA Team Opponents Stats 2014-2015 - NBA Fantasy Basketball Stats

Well, the wolves were about the worst defensive team in history positions 1-5 by that measure , rubio played only 20% of the minutes in which the wolves were markedly better and if you dont trust defensive stats as clear and basic as any sort of impact/replacement value type stuff then this is basically an impossibly to refute opinion. Which you are of course entitled to, just dont see a way to sway it.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #43
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well, the wolves were about the worst defensive team in history positions 1-5 by that measure , rubio played only 20% of the minutes in which the wolves were markedly better and if you dont trust defensive stats as clear and basic as any sort of impact/replacement value type stuff then this is basically an impossibly to refute opinion. Which you are of course entitled to, just dont see a way to sway it.

What defensive stats are you using anyway? I know that website that used replacement value is no longer operating. And Ive never considering DRTG a worthwhile stat since in varies so much from year to year where defense should be fairly consistent if its an accurate measure.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:13 PM   #44
nol
Banned

Quote:
What defensive stats are you using anyway? I know that website that used replacement value is no longer operating. And Ive never considering DRTG a worthwhile stat since in varies so much from year to year where defense should be fairly consistent if its an accurate measure.

A good place to start would be that players like Love and Pekovic offered rim protection that was "worst in the league by a substantial margin" rather than "not great."

If you're more inclined to use the eye test, you could look at other players across the league and see whether they're out of position more or less often than Rubio was (if everyone was in position all the time, teams would average like 75 points a game). You could also look at how often Ricky Rubio had to guard a good SG or SF because someone like Kevin Martin is an extremely bad defender.

Or you could look at the just-released all defensive teams, see that Chris Paul (Clippers were 15th in defensive efficiency) was first team all defense, and conclude that a point guard has a lower impact on the team's overall defense than any other position. Or you could reach that same conclusion by seeing how the league's best defensive team has a point guard that is more or less average (I'd say above average, but I tend to get laughed at because Steph Curry doesn't have He-Man upper body strength so I'm allowing for some wiggle room) defensively.

All that to say that if I were writing a list of areas holding the Minnesota Timberwolves back from becoming a playoff team or a championship team or whatever, "Ricky Rubio needs to become a better individual defender" would probably not crack the top 500.

Last edited by nol : 05-20-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #45
whomario
Pro Starter

Right now i actually agree that there is simply no really convincibg/robust defensive rating for individual players, much less one that works in a vacuum. I merely see that the wolves go from beyond terrible to decent in basically every stat that differentiates wether a player was on the court. Which matches what i saw in timberwolves matches.

Hoping sports vu data will help, for frontcourt players rim protection looks solid f.e already.

Good article on what might be coming on that front. Department of Defense «
Old 05-20-2015, 09:37 PM   #46
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Well hey, that team had a goal and they accomplished it, he has the right to be proud. Unlike say, the Jazz, who cost themselves 4-5 spots in the draft and a better shot at a top-3 pick by committing the gravest sin in the NBA, something that the system deems worthy of punishment - coming together as a team and winning basketball games.

In light of seeing stuff like Josh Smith and J.R. Smith going from playing so poorly on a couple of crappy teams that they were given up for pretty much nothing to almost single-handedly winning playoff games for conference finalists, it's fair to say that bad teams are already punished enough by everything except for the draft.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:09 PM   #47
stevew
Hall Of Famer

God I'd love to see Flip try to pair Rubio and Rondo together in a backcourt
Old 05-23-2015, 06:21 AM   #48
whomario
Pro Starter

Related to this: I think the Spurs will be a huge x-factor in Free Agency, definitely the most fluid situation right now and all depending on wether or not Duncan (and to a lesser extent Manu) retire and if then they want to blow it up or simply try to replace the 2.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #49
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I am enjoying that tweet far more than I probably should.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:30 PM   #50
nol
Banned

Alvin Gentry got hired by New Orleans - if Anthony Davis becomes a 3-point shooter, it will probably be under this guy.

Fred Hoiberg is gonna be the Bulls' coach in all likelihood, which is good for them but will suck for Iowa State. Thibs is probably gonna sit the year out or at least be hovering around for anyone who gets fired midway through the season.