Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-10-2016, 05:07 PM   #51
JPhillips
General Manager

If Trump doesn't run it will be a bloodbath. Pence will obviously want it, but so will everyone else. I'd expect a return to ten or more candidates.

JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:10 PM   #52
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
If Trump doesn't run it will be a bloodbath. Pence will obviously want it, but so will everyone else. I'd expect a return to ten or more candidates.

The big bloodbath will be the ten candidates vying for Kellyanne Conway's services. She'll be able to name her price.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:23 PM   #53
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
The big bloodbath will be the ten candidates vying for Kellyanne Conway's services. She'll be able to name her price.

Only if the candidate is similar.

Her role seems to have been pretty simple: be on TV, and manage Donald's ego to keep him remotely between the ditches.

(did you read the "inside the campaign" article someone linked a few pages ago? It talks about that quite a bit)

The guy I'd want on a campaign staff might be Donald, Jr.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:47 PM   #54
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Well yeah I guess she could run for Durbin's seat in 2020 and try the same 4 years Senate before President run. But there may be a Dem incumbent in 2024.

Even if she had the slighest ambition for politics - and nothing I've seen in the last 8 years suggests that she does - spending four to eight years in the Senate would put her between 60 to 64 by the time she ran for President.

I'm sorry, but I don't think anything that happened in the last 9 months suggests that the right would lay off the "don't you think she looks...tired?" ageist crap that a woman candidate has to face just because it's a different woman than Hillary Clinton.

She might not have the mountain of right-wing pile-on to deal with, but her age and appearance would absolutely be held against her, even if subtly.

I don't have faith that this country can get past its race and gender issues so completely in 8 years that if Michelle Obama were to run in 2024 - either as a primary challenge to an incumbent Democrat, or to replace a two-term Trump - that she would be treated as a serious candidate first and a black female second, rather than the other way around.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:50 PM   #55
tarcone
Coordinator

2 candidate filled primaries? And we thought this year was crazy

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:18 PM   #56
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
She might not have the mountain of right-wing pile-on to deal with

Au contraire. She's every bit as reviled as her husband, if not more so.

Quote:
that she would be treated as a serious candidate first and a black female second, rather than the other way around.

It's the only thing she has to run on aside from her name, of COURSE she'd be treated as a novelty candidate. And it might just win a nomination for her.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:21 PM   #57
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
2 candidate filled primaries? And we thought this year was crazy

I've wondered the opposite once or twice briefly though. Did this year's clown car field actually reduce the likelihood of seeing that for a while?
Old 11-11-2016, 08:16 PM   #58
Galaxy
Coordinator

Maybe a bit of a wild card, but what about businessman Don Pebbles, who is mauling a run for mayor of NYC? He's a Blue Dog Democrat, so I'm not sure if he's "progressive" enough, but he's an African-American, smart, not a career politician, and is charisma and media-savvy. He is 56 years old.

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-11-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:27 PM   #59
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Sounds like the perfect VP choice for someone like Castro.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:43 PM   #60
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Sounds like the perfect VP choice for someone like Castro.

Him last week:

Don Peebles Wants Tax Cuts, Mulls Run for NYC Mayor | Fox Business

Wikipedia says he has a net worth of $700 million.

Quite honestly, I think he could of ran this year and won. An outsider, successful businessman, grounded and in-touch, and could of easily took on Donald.

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-11-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:20 AM   #61
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Donald Trump v. George Clooney v. Hulk Hogan as an independent.

If the Democrats end up looking for a celebrity, what about Leonardo DiCaprio? He's the United Nations representative on Climate Change and also serves on the World Wildlife Fund board so that's something at least. It's probably a stretch to assume someone who is an activist would be interested in becoming president though especially given his fame as an actor. If he were to run, it seems like he'd at least be widely popular with Millennials.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:35 AM   #62
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
If the Democrats end up looking for a celebrity, what about Leonardo DiCaprio? He's the United Nations representative on Climate Change and also serves on the World Wildlife Fund board so that's something at least. It's probably a stretch to assume someone who is an activist would be interested in becoming president though especially given his fame as an actor. If he were to run, it seems like he'd at least be widely popular with Millennials.

Matt Damon would be another one. He's been a big part of Water.org.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:13 AM   #63
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Quite honestly, I think he could of ran this year and won. An outsider, successful businessman, grounded and in-touch, and could of easily took on Donald.

Eh... I think we need to take a break on the "X could have ran this year and won" stuff. I think the election has shown that Trump was far more intelligent than anyone would have predicted - the campaign was constantly fighting against Trump's wishes to keep campaigning in Wisconsin and other Rust Belt areas, but he kept going because he knew something they didn't.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:14 PM   #64
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Au contraire. She's every bit as reviled as her husband, if not more so.

Let's be real, though: hatred is not the same as "pile on." Hillary Clinton has been Public Enemy #1 for the Republicans for 20 years. She and her husband both have faced interminable innuendo, dark mutterings, and "we know you're both crooks but we just can't PROVE anything! You're simultaneously the worst criminals ever because we dug up all these scandals and the best criminals ever because we can't make anything stick!"

Regardless of how the right feels about Michelle Obama in terms of revulsion, what have they got to level against her that comes remotely close to stacking up against the bullshit Hillary Clinton has spent 20 years dealing with?

More mutterings about the so-called "whitey" tape that doesn't actually exist? SHE WASN'T PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN? "She tried to tell us how to feed our kids"? More gorilla 'shops?

I'm not saying the right can't find reasons to hate her. I'm saying there isn't a mountain of bullshit to bury her with. Nothing on the level of the knives they spent the last 8 years sharpening for Hillary Clinton.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:24 PM   #65
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Let's be real, though: hatred is not the same as "pile on."

That's not a hair I was splitting, so I'll concede your point.

(It's a perfectly distinction, it's just not how I originally interpreted the comment however)