Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
WVUFAN
College Starter

laptop recommendations?

I'm going to buy a new laptop this weekend, either at a store or via the internet, and I'm looking for recommendations as to what to get.

1. I want at least an i5 or equivalent, would prefer an i7 or equivalent). I want at least a 1 TB Hard Drive.

2. I'm not planning on playing alot of games on this. I know I'll be playing Civ 5 on it, but it'll be used mostly for school.

3. It'll have Win 8 on it. Not really thrilled about that, but I recognize that most new laptops comes with 8 installed. I'm unsure if I'll need a touchscreen.

4. I'd prefer to pay $1000 or less. I don't really know if the new Haswell chipset is worth it, or if Ivy Bridge is good enough (don't know the big differences).

Anyone have any suggestions or deals they've come across? Is there specific brands I should avoid based on your experience?

Last edited by WVUFAN : 06-19-2013 at 06:52 PM.
WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Comey
College Starter

Haswell is worth it for the battery life. That said, there are excellent deals on Ivy Bridge now.

I'd look at slickdeals.net. Tons of laptop deals at the moment.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Unless you need all that HD space for movies, music, pictures, etc - I really suggest a SSD. The benefits far outweigh the limitations of space. Just my opinion.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

GF bought herself a Lenovo Ideapad. It's a pretty slick reasonably priced(well in your range) Ultrabook.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
dave731
High School JV

Toshiba S5378 if you can find one...OfficeMax had them on clearance recently.

Toshiba Satellite® S855-S5378 15.6" widescreen Laptop (Blue) | Laptops | Computers | us.toshiba.com
dave731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
Haswell is worth it for the battery life. That said, there are excellent deals on Ivy Bridge now.

I'd look at slickdeals.net. Tons of laptop deals at the moment.

Haswell is i7?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Haswell is an architecture with multiple processors...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell...oarchitecture)

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 07-15-2013 at 04:13 PM. Reason: fixed link
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Haswell is an architecture with multiple processors...

Haswell (microarchitecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Aaah. I'm still thinking about replacing my "desktop replacement" laptop with a desktop for home and an ultrabook-esque laptop for the road.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
Passacaglia
Coordinator

My turn! Rather than start a new thread, I'll bump the old one. I'm just looking for something pretty basic -- email, web surfing. Maybe the new FOF would be cool, but I'm guessing that won't need a lot of power. I would like to use it sometimes to remotely login to my work desktop -- I think that uses Citrix Access Gateway? I don't know much about it. A tablet would be cool to have, but not if it's a lot more than what I could get in a similar laptop (with no real idea of what "a lot" is). I'm looking to spend around $500, but have no idea if that's appropriate. Any thoughts?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
My turn! Rather than start a new thread, I'll bump the old one. I'm just looking for something pretty basic -- email, web surfing. Maybe the new FOF would be cool, but I'm guessing that won't need a lot of power. I would like to use it sometimes to remotely login to my work desktop -- I think that uses Citrix Access Gateway? I don't know much about it. A tablet would be cool to have, but not if it's a lot more than what I could get in a similar laptop (with no real idea of what "a lot" is). I'm looking to spend around $500, but have no idea if that's appropriate. Any thoughts?

I still like my Toshiba Satellite.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:55 PM   #11
rowech
Pro Starter

Coming back to this. Is this a good buy? I'm a little worried about buying from somebody that isn't Amazon directly.

Amazon.com: Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E560 15.6" FHD Screen (1920x1080), Intel Dual Core i7-6500U 2.5 GHz, 16GB RAM, 500GB Solid State Drive, Win 7 Pro 64 Laptop Computer: Computers & Accessories
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:45 PM   #12
miami_fan
Coordinator

Thread bump!

I am sure I am not the only one who is looking for a laptop during this Black Friday week (month?).

This computer will pretty much be for surfing the web, emailing and playing sports text games. Not much more than that. I don't want to spend any more than $500. My current laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L775D.

Any recommendations?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:15 PM   #13
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

The Acer E 15 is a good one. Get it, a solid state SSD and an 8 GB ram upgrade for ~500.

SSD: M.2, 275 GB for 72.99

RAM: 8 GB for 47.87

I'd also recommend picking up one of these, which makes reinstalling or repairing windows 10 a breeze.

You'll end up with a Full HD laptop with a backlit keyboard, 12 GB ram, 1 TB HDD, 275 GB SSD for less than 500.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 11-19-2016 at 08:45 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:55 PM   #14
Johnny93g
College Starter

Im also in the market for a new laptop, but a friend in cpu programming industry told me Acer was the "AIDS" of laptops. Anyone else feel the same way. Basically he stressed to stay away from Acer!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:42 AM   #15
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

These E 15s are reviewing best in their class. (This particular model at least. The E5-575-33BM.) You get this for $329 and add that SSD and extra memory and you get a hell of a laptop for less than 500 dollars. Better than most, if not all 500 dollar laptops. It also gets incredible battery life of 10-12 hours on a single charge. It is pretty expandable too, up to 16 GB of RAM and an added M.2 SSD port, which allows you to have dual hard drives without needing to remove the optical drive.

I have one, and the only mild complaint I have about it is the integrated touch pad.. I am beginning to get used to it though, and if I eventually find myself preferring the old ways, settings can be managed to make it like a normal laptop touchpad. But other than that, its whisper quiet, has all the bells and whistles for a laptop in its price range, and is sold for 329 bucks, which is really wallet friendly.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 11-20-2016 at 01:00 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:02 PM   #16
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Probably a stupid question but would those E15's run all the modern day sports sims easily?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:29 PM   #17
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Im also in the market for a new laptop, but a friend in cpu programming industry told me Acer was the "AIDS" of laptops. Anyone else feel the same way. Basically he stressed to stay away from Acer!

They use the same internal components other laptops use.

The issues I've seen with Acer is they are filled with bloatware. That's an easy fix, just install a clean copy of Windows 10 on the device. The other is they use more plastic which might be a knock aesthetically and makes it feel a little cheaper. This might be more of an issue from a durability standpoint. If you're rough with the laptop it might not hold up as well.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:39 PM   #18
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I just bought my Mom an E15. No complaints, $20 to double the RAM. Had a good high quality physical feel to it despite the price, with a 1080p screen, i3 CPU and solid sound. Paid around $380 when all was said and done, which included the RAM bump to 8gb.

As for Bloatware, it had little to none of it compared to recent HP/Lenovo laptops I've experienced.

I think the laptops are quality and are certainly not the "AIDs" of laptops(that feels like a 90's era perception), however if their customer support is at all reliable remains to be seen. That is my greatest concern. My Lenovo Yoga has hands down been the best laptop I've ever owned, but I will never buy another based on my experience with their support. With the Acer, for less than $400 I was willing to risk it.

Last edited by jeff061 : 11-21-2016 at 06:42 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:47 PM   #19
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Probably a stupid question but would those E15's run all the modern day sports sims easily?

Bump as I'm interested in this as well - could the i5 with 8GB of DDR4 and an SSD run FM at a decent speed?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:49 PM   #20
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
They use the same internal components other laptops use.

The issues I've seen with Acer is they are filled with bloatware. That's an easy fix, just install a clean copy of Windows 10 on the device. The other is they use more plastic which might be a knock aesthetically and makes it feel a little cheaper. This might be more of an issue from a durability standpoint. If you're rough with the laptop it might not hold up as well.

My last Acer had serious durability issues. The biggest one was a common problem at that time, around 2013, with the internal part of the power connector coming loose causing the laptop to not charge. I had to send it in three times while it was under warranty for parts to be replaced. I wasn't doing anything more than taking it back and forth to classes once or twice a week and the occasional study session.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote