Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-19-2016, 10:35 AM   #1
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Alright Boyz!.... here we go OOTP 17

OMG.. 3D little icons moving around on the field making plays.. I just wet myself!!!

Out of the Park Baseball 17

Announcing Out of the Park Baseball 17 - Pre-Order Now!
We are very happy to announce Out of the Park Baseball 17 today - officially licensed by both MLB.com and the MLBPA and available on March 22nd!

Find out about the game's new features, screenshots and of course the pre-order benefits here:

Out of the Park Baseball 17

In a nutshell:
The game will officially be available on March 22nd. If you pre-order now, you save $5 off the regular game price of $39.99 (this special price offer ends March 1st), get access to the Gold Master beta build on March 18th (4 days prior to official launch) and receive an additional OOTP 17 Steam key upon official Steam launch March 22nd.

We will be active in this forum today to answer your questions and also create a FAQ thread about the pre-order.

We are very proud, OOTP 17 is another major step forward for the series. It's full of new features, fine-tuned functionality and a lot of little things that will make it the most fun, realistic and enjoyable baseball strategy gaming experience ever.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback!

Markus & the entire OOTP Developments team

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-18-2016 at 10:58 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:47 AM   #2
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

A little feature overview:

• For the first time ever, fully licensed by both the MLBPA, MiLB and MLB.com
• All major league player ratings in the projected 2016 Opening Day rosters - plus those of more than 1,000 minor leaguers - based on ZiPS, the projection system created by well-known baseball writer and SABR member Dan Szymborski .
• Out of the Park Baseball 17 features FaceGen images for real players! With player aging, real-time emotion, and automatic uniform adjustment based on trades and free agency for most major leaguers, you're more in touch with your club than ever.
• Our new 3D animation and improved, authentic major league ballparks deliver the most powerful in-game experience yet. Moving player symbols, better lightning, textures and detail immerse managers in an intense MLB experience.
• All-new Historical Exhibition option! Pit any two teams throughout history against each other in a single game or a series, or replay any historic World Series matchup with accurate rosters.
• Smarter, more cunning AI GMs and managers, with individualized personal approaches to roster-building, scouting, and finances.
• Authentic minor league systems from 1919 through 2015 with a database of more than 100,000 real players. Automatic minor league team relocation & affiliation changes while you play a historical career.
• And of course, the Out of the Park Baseball trademark of historical seasons spanning 150 years of baseball.
• Much more, for example multi-core processing support for up to 60% faster simulation speeds, a redesigned game interface, individual team trade needs, improved player development, and so on...

We're very proud of the game, I'm sure baseball fans will enjoy it!

Cheers,
Markus
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #3
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
OMG.. 3D little icons moving around on the field making plays.. I just wet myself!!!

(best watched at .25 speed, fwiw)
Old 02-19-2016, 11:10 AM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

(best watched at .25 speed, fwiw)

HAHA.. oh yeah!

I'm not a reader.. so the visual stuff makes me giddy.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 02-19-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:10 PM   #5
korme
Go Reds

Using Canadian language I see.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:18 PM   #6
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Already pre-ordered - absolutely love the historical exhibition mode and historical minors!
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #7
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I was going to take a year off...but I'm intrigued
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:42 PM   #8
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
I was going to take a year off...but I'm intrigued

I say that every year.. lol.. they had me at 3d view with little things running around.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:23 PM   #9
JPhillips
General Manager

I still want realistic financials.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:37 PM   #10
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Without this, the AI is useless.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:31 PM   #11
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Might be the first time in a long time I don't pre order......although I do like the enhanced performance by using multiple cores. Even if I don't pre order, will pick it up at somepoint in the season I am sure.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:51 PM   #12
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

It was like the only major thing I'd try to contribute to beta, but I haven't been on the past two years since the great purge. And I've stopped trying to convince them it's important, but thousands of people still download my financial mod, so it's gotta be important to somebody.

Actually I did used to go rants about it every few months, but the newgen fanbois don't like when you show them evidence they're wrong and just tell you that "no it's supposed to work that way," even if that defies common sense. But hey...not my circus.

And hey, new grafix.

And yeah, I'll still buy because there's not a better baseball sim anywhere. But just had to second that emotion.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-19-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:48 PM   #13
dunkem
Mascot

Microleague was the jam back then. Heck, I used to feel like I could control my swing by timing the blinking cursor box with pressing the swing away key.

This is promising for us one pitch managers.
dunkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:51 PM   #14
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post

Actually I did used to go rants about it every few months, but the newgen fanbois don't like when you show them evidence they're wrong and just tell you that "no it's supposed to work that way," even if that defies common sense. .

Unfortunately this has been the answer to problems for years.

And, yes, it's the best on the market and probably brings in a lot of money, but it just isn't quite right in places.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:09 AM   #15
kingfc22
Head Coach

I think this might be the year I finally jump back in. It's been a while since OOTP3 had me hooked and brought me into the world of online sports sims.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:56 AM   #16
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I think it's the greatest text sim on earth and it took v16 to really make me step back and realize how much it's taken over my life. I'm in year 2021 with the Indians and still haven't sniffed a World Series.

I'm the Cubs of the AL!
Old 02-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #17
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
Might be the first time in a long time I don't pre order......although I do like the enhanced performance by using multiple cores. Even if I don't pre order, will pick it up at somepoint in the season I am sure.
1st time for me too. I don't play out my games and the new additions really don't excite me. I really wish Markus would bring back the interrupting of games when a no hitter or chance at a 500th home run is about to happen.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:18 AM   #18
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
I really wish Markus would bring back the interrupting of games when a no hitter or chance at a 500th home run is about to happen.

+1

Last edited by MizzouRah : 02-20-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:48 PM   #19
cuervo72
Head Coach

I wish they would fix the bug affecting college/HS stats if you import rosters.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:24 PM   #20
PilotMan
Head Coach

I wish they'd fix the roster error that I keep getting for Independent Leagues, that seems to require a manual fix and stops my playing cold.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
It was like the only major thing I'd try to contribute to beta, but I haven't been on the past two years since the great purge. And I've stopped trying to convince them it's important, but thousands of people still download my financial mod, so it's gotta be important to somebody.

Actually I did used to go rants about it every few months, but the newgen fanbois don't like when you show them evidence they're wrong and just tell you that "no it's supposed to work that way," even if that defies common sense. But hey...not my circus.

And hey, new grafix.

"Nice" to see that the beta process is still basically the same as it was a decade or so ago.

Without a doubt THE single worst gaming (or even computer) related experience of my life.

The least responsive, the most argumentative, the most "fanboyzonly" experience I've ever encountered ... and I haven't given the arrogant prick dev a dime since.

Nor can I imagine that I ever will.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:10 PM   #22
BigPapi
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
"Nice" to see that the beta process is still basically the same as it was a decade or so ago.

Without a doubt THE single worst gaming (or even computer) related experience of my life.

The least responsive, the most argumentative, the most "fanboyzonly" experience I've ever encountered ... and I haven't given the arrogant prick dev a dime since.

Nor can I imagine that I ever will.

Why so Wishy-Washy?
BigPapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:18 PM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapi View Post
Why so Wishy-Washy?

I've spent my whole life on the fence, pondering the vast grey areas that surround me. It's my curse.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #24
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

I have a very strong feeling that animation won't be ready by release day which is in a week. People are begging to see video of it in action and they say they can't because they need MLB approval. Meanwhile, they have several screenshots posted with MLB logos and they have already uploaded a video of the preview of the game with MLB logos so that excuse just doesn't make sense to me.

I hope I am wrong. I don't expect the animation to be amazing and I probably would only use it for the playoffs, but it would be a nice feature to have and it something they have touted for quite some time now.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:19 PM   #25
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Yeah could be - it's seeming more and more strange that there's not a video of it in action yet.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #26
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

who cares about that crap! we want better online play, sane financials!

fucking animation

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:34 PM   #27
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

put in a salary cap! boom-financials solved
Old 03-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #28
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Last year's 3D gameplay got about 5 minutes from me before I switched back to the classic model. Hopefully I'll get a bit more from it this year. I still have a feeling that the facegen pics of the players will mean more to me than a few stickmen moving.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:12 AM   #29
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post
I have a very strong feeling that animation won't be ready by release day which is in a week. People are begging to see video of it in action and they say they can't because they need MLB approval. Meanwhile, they have several screenshots posted with MLB logos and they have already uploaded a video of the preview of the game with MLB logos so that excuse just doesn't make sense to me.

I hope I am wrong. I don't expect the animation to be amazing and I probably would only use it for the playoffs, but it would be a nice feature to have and it something they have touted for quite some time now.

I agree.. and like I said over there.. I'm not mad or wouldn't purchase but don't give this "need approval" BS.

I'm sure it will evolve after release though...
Old 03-12-2016, 09:14 AM   #30
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Last year's 3D gameplay got about 5 minutes from me before I switched back to the classic model. Hopefully I'll get a bit more from it this year. I still have a feeling that the facegen pics of the players will mean more to me than a few stickmen moving.

I only use it for the playoffs and I would say a ball just flying around is not really all that useful in its current state.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:35 AM   #31
TroyF
Coordinator

This game is the Madden for text sims for me.

Every year I go "nope, not gonna buy into it this year. The financials and scouting are a joke, the AI is terrible, the same problems I had last year are going to be there again and just piss me off"

Every year I look at the slate of sims surrounding OOTP, get excited for opening day, realize I'm a Rockies fan and there is nothing to cheer for in real baseball and decide to take the plunge. I usually get about 35 to 40 hours, one solid career in and then move onto the next shiny object.

DDPB is so damned good this year I wish I could say I'll just skip it, but I already feel the pangs and already look at the OOTP boards. Text sims are my weakness. Seriously, don't drink, don't smoke, no drugs, not overweight. . . my addiction is to text sims.

it's good to see the OOTP boards are already a steaming pile though. "I just want to congratulate Markus and the OOTP team for putting out another fantastic game." Ummmm, the game isn't even out yet dumb ass. At least get to the opening screen before you give Markus his massage.

How is it we are in version 17 and a "New" feature is to be able to tell the AI to play the minor leaguers with the best potential instead of playing the best current ratings? Ugh. . .
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:54 AM   #32
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
This game is the Madden for text sims for me.

Every year I go "nope, not gonna buy into it this year. The financials and scouting are a joke, the AI is terrible, the same problems I had last year are going to be there again and just piss me off"

Every year I look at the slate of sims surrounding OOTP, get excited for opening day, realize I'm a Rockies fan and there is nothing to cheer for in real baseball and decide to take the plunge. I usually get about 35 to 40 hours, one solid career in and then move onto the next shiny object.

DDPB is so damned good this year I wish I could say I'll just skip it, but I already feel the pangs and already look at the OOTP boards. Text sims are my weakness. Seriously, don't drink, don't smoke, no drugs, not overweight. . . my addiction is to text sims.

it's good to see the OOTP boards are already a steaming pile though. "I just want to congratulate Markus and the OOTP team for putting out another fantastic game." Ummmm, the game isn't even out yet dumb ass. At least get to the opening screen before you give Markus his massage.

How is it we are in version 17 and a "New" feature is to be able to tell the AI to play the minor leaguers with the best potential instead of playing the best current ratings? Ugh. . .

LOL. I haven't preordered. I'm going to try to push this game into Football Manager territory where it's not an automatic buy (and likely a once-every-other year if at all purchase.)

I don't have the time I used to play these games anyway, I do love them though, but I'm over the whole "support them blindly" thing I did for years because when you're just ignored for contributing to the game, I'll just let the fanbois buy gas for the Ferrari and sit it out for a while.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:57 AM   #33
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'm in the same boat I'm in every year.

I have this grand idea for a solo league where I design all of the logos & uniforms. Start in the 1800s. Play through history my way, etc.

I'll get into it and drop it by April and move on to something else.

Looking forward to it all again!
Old 03-15-2016, 10:06 AM   #34
Johnny93g
College Starter

I'm very underwhelmed this year.

I mean a new feature is it comes with facegen for MLB players.....Um....we have had facegen for years with the click of a button.

If it wasn't for belonging to a long running league this year would be a skip for me. I do think some of the advertising is disingenuous..

"The all-new MLBPA license lets players come alive

For the first time ever, Out of the Park Baseball features FaceGen images for real players! With player aging, real-time emotion, and automatic uniform adjustment based on trades and free agency for most major leaguers, you're more in touch with your club than ever. One glance tells all!
"

Technically, ya, the game never came with facegen LOADED. You had to download the images IN GAME with a click of ONE BUTTON.....

But ya, everything in this selling point is NOT NEW
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 03-15-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:52 AM   #35
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Well it has 3D... even if it's little icons moving around it's enough for me to purchase, so to each his own I guess. I'll only use it for playoff games and what not, but just seeing a ball fly around on a blank field is goofy.

Much faster processing too if you have a multi-processor which I do.. so that is another feature I'm excited for as I tend to sim most of my games. Game recaps are pretty neat too as I always look at the box scores of my games.

Nothing comes close to OOTP as far as text sims go, IMHO of course.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-15-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:55 AM   #36
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Royals won it all last year. I have to buy it for that reason. But I haven't bought in a couple years, so it's a bit easier pill to swallow.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:49 PM   #37
Ramzavail
College Starter

the sim speed is amazing. I do have a jacked up computer but still, the sim speed is much much better.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:36 PM   #38
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
the sim speed is amazing. I do have a jacked up computer but still, the sim speed is much much better.

How about 3D?
Old 03-15-2016, 03:43 PM   #39
Ramzavail
College Starter

I like it. It could be a bit prettier (and I'm sure somebody will MOD it and make it look awesome) but from a guy who plays out all the games - its a nice addition and helps with immersion. I've been known to pump my fists watching a FM game full of dots when I score a goal, and now I noticed myself doing the same when someone jacked one over the scoreboard. But I'm sure I'm in the (major) minority here.

If you are a simmer, you won't care.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:46 PM   #40
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I like it. It could be a bit prettier (and I'm sure somebody will MOD it and make it look awesome) but from a guy who plays out all the games - its a nice addition and helps with immersion. I've been known to pump my fists watching a FM game full of dots when I score a goal, and now I noticed myself doing the same when someone jacked one over the scoreboard. But I'm sure I'm in the (major) minority here.

I'm sure it will continue to grow and if it's moddable.. then yes someone will spice it up I'm sure.

Markus mentioned the players moved according to speed ratings, etc.. if that's true then I would use it much more than I use just the floating ball now.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:42 PM   #41
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Give me a baseball game that was realistic and had the full FM presentation and I would be in sports sim heaven.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:59 PM   #42
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Agree, it is really basic and still some issues to resolve, but it is a start and something that they will definitely be able to build on in coming versions. I would just expect some occasional wonkiness early on in this version as I don't see them getting everything smoothed out by release.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:24 AM   #43
Ramzavail
College Starter

yeah I saw a few things like the LF sprinting and catching a ball behind homeplate - but I didn't get discouraged. Since I usually play alot of my games out anyway - it was a good alternative to see the ball/body motion as opposed to just pbp text on the screen.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:31 PM   #44
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
yeah I saw a few things like the LF sprinting and catching a ball behind homeplate - but I didn't get discouraged. Since I usually play alot of my games out anyway - it was a good alternative to see the ball/body motion as opposed to just pbp text on the screen.

Agree, the only real issue that bothers me is the ball being hit, but then disappearing before it gets to a fielder on ground outs and pop ups. If they get this fixed I think it will be just fine for a first effort.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:06 PM   #45
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Agree, the only real issue that bothers me is the ball being hit, but then disappearing before it gets to a fielder on ground outs and pop ups. If they get this fixed I think it will be just fine for a first effort.

Things actually look pretty good with the 3D animation in the latest build, so I think folks will be happy overall.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:13 PM   #46
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Things actually look pretty good with the 3D animation in the latest build, so I think folks will be happy overall.

Very nice! I just wish they weren't such butt heads about it.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:22 PM   #47
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Well clearly they lifted the non disclosure agreement to put our minds at ease
Old 03-16-2016, 09:40 PM   #48
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post
Well clearly they lifted the non disclosure agreement to put our minds at ease

No secrets divulged, just that it looks good
Old 03-16-2016, 09:57 PM   #49
RainMaker
General Manager

I think my problem with OOTP is the features they add every year just don't cater to me. I don't care about facegen or even animations. Don't care about being able to create the Sri Lanka Underhand Pitch One-Legged Baseball League.

I just want a game where I can sim Major League franchises that has realistic AI and realistic financials. I want teams to make smart moves and act as they would in real life. I want development to be realistic, contracts to be realistic, etc. But instead I think Markus caters to the handful of people on the boards who want weird bells and whistles instead of a great core.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:03 PM   #50
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't want to crap on the game too much. I still enjoy it. I just think there are some core problems that have been ignored for years and perhaps a case of them allowing too much customization.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote